Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-17 03:32PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I just finished watching both USA matches. It seemed like they and their two opposing teams struggled throughout to figure out the ice, and no one ever really did master it. USA's loss to Scotland could easily have turned their way if they'd had more time to think about their final shot, but their clock was running low and Roth has to rush it.

The "cracks" in the paint job look deliberate to me, like they're trying to make it look like it's outdoor ice on a pond.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-17 03:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I just finished watching both USA matches. It seemed like they and their two opposing teams struggled throughout to figure out the ice, and no one ever really did master it. USA's loss to Scotland could easily have turned their way if they'd had more time to think about their final shot, but their clock was running low and Roth has to rush it.

The "cracks" in the paint job look deliberate to me, like they're trying to make it look like it's outdoor ice on a pond.

scotland definitely struggled. United states did not go away and kept fighting but scotland made so many uncharacteristic mistakes.

United states had multiple shots to win but i doubt they'd have gotten to that point if scotland was firing on all cylinders

03-18-17 04:54PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Not impressed with TSN opting not to show CAN vs. GER. Also not impressed with TSN dropping TV coverage of a draw as soon as Team Canada finishes their game. Then the fact that they're doing this from a studio instead of the arena caps off the feeling that they just don't care.

It's tough for viewers to care when the broadcaster doesn't care.

It was nice to see an overwhelming amount of Chinese press for the China/Canada match, though. Hopefully they remain interested in the event, despite what I think will be a challenging week for Team China.

03-18-17 05:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

TSN

I set the alarm to watch the Canada-China game in the middle of the night. I'm not so sure TSN is actually "doing" the broadcast. Very different than their normal coverage. I'm guessing they just "get the feed" from the provider there.

However, if they are there doing the broadcast, why in the world would they show a repeat of the game they already showed live at the exact same time that the Canada Germany game was taking place? Surely with all their channels they can show the live games live and the replay later in the day. Maybe even directly against the slam games to steal their audience.

Answers?

03-18-17 06:09PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

World curling is producing the broadcast and TSN is putting their overlays and announcing on top of it. Same as what NBC is doing for the states

03-18-17 06:11PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont know whats going on with TSN this year.

there's got to be a reason they would rebroadcast canada v.s china 4 times in one day over actually showing canada v.s germany.

looking at my schedule they are broadcasting canada v.s russia and canada v.s the united states

03-18-17 06:28PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Just saw the recap of the USA vs SWE game....are those cracks in the ice?

03-18-17 06:38PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i dont know whats going on with TSN this year.

there's got to be a reason they would rebroadcast canada v.s china 4 times in one day over actually showing canada v.s germany.

looking at my schedule they are broadcasting canada v.s russia and canada v.s the united states

It probably is as simple as whether or not there was a full camera crew shooting Canada vs Germany. I'm guessing not, or they would've shown that. There was a full crew covering Sweden vs USA at the same time, apparently the only one there today, perhaps because this first day only had two draws.

I think there will be two full crews for most of the rest of the round robin; there are three draws each day until the RR is over. And since TSN is scheduled to cover most of the Canada matches, while the other crew shoots other matches, I'd further guess this second crew is being paid for by TSN.

Still, it is a reduced presence, and not having multiple matches on other channels during the Scotties and Brier, and not sending over their own commentators all add up to a reduced expenditure on TSN's part. If their situation is anything like their US cousin's (ESPN), then it makes perfect sense as they've been losing subscribers (and their money) in droves over the last couple of years as increasing numbers of people drop cable or satellite TV and pick and choose their content from internet channels instead.

03-18-17 06:41PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

They said earlier it was under the ice at the paint level, and the paint is cracking or peeling away from that layer.

03-18-17 07:14PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

That's all fine but at least show all of Canada's games. I see the China game is on yet AGAIN, and still no Germany game. And yes the camera crews were there for the Canada Germany game as I was watching the US Sweden game they would show the highlights.

03-18-17 08:07PM
Observer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
That's all fine but at least show all of Canada's games. I see the China game is on yet AGAIN, and still no Germany game. And yes the camera crews were there for the Canada Germany game as I was watching the US Sweden game they would show the highlights.

I suspect they have a "roving" second camera unit that goes from sheet to sheet as needed to shoot key moments as they come up. I saw Sportsnet doing this at the National in Sault Ste Marie this past December, I.e. A main unit that stuck to the featured game and a roving second unit for all the other sheets. If I'm right, then no one has continuous footage of any of the other three matches, just bits and pieces. If it follows the Sportsnet example, the camera coverage will increase as the event goes on. (the first couple of days in Sault weren't even on TV)

I could be wrong, of course, and there is one difference I can see between this coverage and what I saw Sportsnet do. This arena seems to have overhead cameras above each house they can switch to at any time. In Sault Ste Marie there were only two, one for each end of the arena, which were mounted on a track. They could then slide those cameras left or right to cover a house on another sheet.

And I stand corrected on the cracking visible in the ice. I'm told it's to do with the pH levels not being quite right when fresh ice is first set, and should fade as the ice is reworked and remade over time.

Last edited by Observer on 03-18-17 at 08:15PM

03-18-17 08:09PM
Observer
Swing Artist

Re: Re: TSN

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Pretty sure Vic, Russ & Cheryl are broadcasting from TSN studios in Toronto - not even sure if Cheryl is physically in the studio - or in her home town in Alberta!

Doesn't seem to make a difference - TSN saved a huge amount in sending a full broadcsst crew with directors, writers, editors & camera-men, no transportation costs, no hotels, no food, etc. Ratings would only be good for the Homan games anyways, maybe the odd Scotland vs. Switzerland or Swiss vs. Russia.

The massive time difference can't be good for the ratings either. That probably figured into it as well.

03-18-17 10:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

AGAIN Canada China.

If I'm a paying sponsor it better be buy one get 3 free. Hey did they only play one game today? Good grief TSN you're blockheads. Click, hockey game sportsnet.

03-18-17 11:30PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

For the people upset with TSN coverage, I have a question an in uninformed AMerican. Is the NCAA basketball tournament big in Canada. In the US, that tournament is huge, and ESPN has not rights to it. But since they know everyone will only be watching basketball, they dont spend much money to show anything that will be guaranteed to have no ratings.

03-18-17 11:39PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

This is something. Scotland scraped by the united States and now don 3 playing 10 against Italy. Looking really vulnerable her so far. If they can't handle 2 of weaker teams hre they don't have much hope against the other favorites

03-18-17 11:39PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

This is something. Scotland scraped by the united States and now don 3 playing 10 against Italy. Looking really vulnerable her so far. If they can't handle 2 of weaker teams hre they don't have much hope against the other favorites

03-19-17 12:00AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Thumbs up

Muirhead loses a stunner to Italy. She had a shot for 3 to tie and go the extra but rolled out. If she can't rebound and beat Russia I don't like her playoff chances. 2 losses early in a field this strong with all the heavy hitters to come

Meanwhile paetz made an absolutely incredible pick double on her last to get the win for switzerland

03-19-17 01:08AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Remember people that TSN doesn't have anyone in China, so they're pretty much at the mercy of the crews in Beijing. They're not the only network that wants to show their games, so the WCF is trying to please most of the broadcasters so they show certain games. TSN will still show 9 of the 11 Canada games. Sure they get more when it's in Canada, but how much do you think it is to send a crew to China to cover the games? Also, it would look weird from TSN to show the Sweden-USA because you could see some highlights of the Canada-Germany game.

TSN is scaling back and it shows in the amount they spend on covering events that happen outside of this country. Before, TSN was doing all MLS games in the stadium. This year, they're calling games not in Canada off their monitors. I think there's a reality that hit TSN after their loss of revenue due to NHL hockey and a lot of sports that are covered here have been affected. For curling, it started last year.

The only question that is worth asking on it is this: Does TSN intend to send their cast and crew at the Men's Worlds next year in Las Vegas to show all games?

03-19-17 04:55AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Two up, tenth end , could not understand Canada stock piling rocks in house. 4 am and I have to stay up for an extra end. Darn.

03-19-17 08:16AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

yep same here stayed up until yawn 6:00am

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Two up, tenth end , could not understand Canada stock piling rocks in house. 4 am and I have to stay up for an extra end. Darn.
Russia's Sidorova had a bad break in the extra end and her rock was disallowed due to hand being on stone at time of release BAD luck for her and the game might have been different ....I see them in playoff contention at the end of this week.

03-19-17 08:38AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

russia really gave canada all they could handle. thats one of those games where you hate to see someone lose because they both deserved to win

bingyu's new team is nowhere near the level of her old team. maybe they will be in time. however right now they arent helping her at all. they really need to step it up and support her more because right now , in every game i have seen them play its bingyu doing everything on her own.

03-19-17 09:03AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Re: yep same here stayed up until yawn 6:00am

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
Russia's Sidorova had a bad break in the extra end and her rock was disallowed due to hand being on stone at time of release BAD luck for her and the game might have been different ....I see them in playoff contention at the end of this week.

I would call that a bad performance under pressure rather than a bad break or bad luck. Sidorova missed a few shots and had some questionable strategy. I like her (not just for shallow reasons), but I think her run of bronzes will end here. Switzerland, Sweden, Scotland, and Canada are probably better teams.

Frankly, I'm just glad we broke out of that Groundhog Day of China-Canada telecasts.

03-19-17 09:08AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

a lot of pressure on sidorova here. if she does poorly she may not be the rep for russia next year at the olympics

03-19-17 09:27AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
OK, now I see Princess Eve applied a bone-crushing assault on Russia in the next draw. That might be hard to overcome - but Eve knows how to take advantage of poor Russian strategy - obviously even more than Homan.

Another loss will cause Anna to get very dispirited - nd leave her exposed for a playoff spot.

russia got a tough day tomorrow with czech republic and switzerland. they could easily be 1-4 after that, although more than likely 2-3 at worst.

czech republic reminds me a lot of russia actually. they can make a lot of shots and technically they are strong. but the strategy is what kills them

this 9th end v.s china is a really good example of that. if they can get someone to help them improve their strategy..they are young , they could become serious threats at these championships to medal

03-19-17 09:32AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

as far as this game goes. really looks like just a terrible start for russia but ever since they gave up that steal of 4 in the 4th end they have been all over scotland.