Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Love how Reid & JoJo Bandana fought thru the clutter of that ridiculous round-robin and fought off those two losses - particularly the one to USA.

Reid is in better shape than I thought - while he's not even in the same league as Courtney in the brush/strength dept. he's been a mild surprise. His background playing 2nd for Stoughton is helping him remember what its like. Also, gotta keep up with the amazing Miss Joanne.

Both Reid and Jo have the advantage playing on Canadian Super teams. Homan's team is the best women's team in the world - few would question that. Reid skips a Canadian Top 5 or 6 team. Might not break thru for Brier, Worlds or Olympics in next five years (main reasons are spelled Gushue, Koe, Jacobs) but he's tremendous in his own right.

Thought at first they might be a bad concoction but Joanne continues to impress me - and if there were such an award I'd be voting her as "Manitoba Legends' Player of the Year", male or female.

Coming aboard Team Homan was a bit of an act of disloyalty to Val Sweeting, as Joanne was developing as a young 3rd but switching to Homan has provided her with amazing access to training, coaching and working with 3 of the best female curlers on the planet. Homan is easily the best skip, Miskew is one of the Top 2 3rds and Weagle is in the argument for TOP LEAD, perhaps EVER.

The coaching has corrected some of her tendencies to fishtail out of the hack - its made her a great observer of all the key shots of the game - regardless of the fact she tosses 2nd stones. Her percentages have increased accordingly - and now EVERYONE KNOWS what power and fury she can unleash with a curling brush.

Is it too early to wonder what happens with Team Homan after this Olympic cycle? Will Rachel continue as a professional curler and forego having family for another 4 years? Will Emma continue to play 3rd or try going out on her own.

The one thing we know - Joanne Courtney could probably fit in seamlessly at 3rd for Rachel - she might even have absorbed so much training and confidence in her on-ice abilities to venture forth as a skip. SKY IS THE LIMIT FOR THAT WOMAN.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-29-17 08:35AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Last night was exciting to watch (graphics online - no video) and Team Canada did perform two amazing back to back wins to assure the Olympic Berth for our proud country. Lots of folks tweeted that NOW the berth is assured, and profusely thanked Jo and Reid for coming through. I realize the stats folks were not worried, but people like Kaitlyn Lawes and Jim Bender were heaving sighs of relief over the twittersphere, and the WCF even made a headline declration, so I was not alone in my concern about the importance of the SCO and LAT games. Now it is all about gold. I would LOVE to see Canada medal - and the higher up the podium the better. The major pressure is off now, but hopefully, they keep their edge and plough through to victory. What an unforgiving game is this #MixedDoubles.

Last edited by nelski on 04-29-17 at 11:37AM

Old Post 04-29-17 09:27AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I'm happy for Reid and Joanne. And very happy to see Canada get their Olympic berth.

But....I'm having a hard time liking doubles. It really is a different game than 'regular' 4-player curling. Maybe it's just what I've seen of it, but it feels like all the play gets dragged into a very small area, and (much like skins - which I also dislike), most of the ends play out in a very similar way. It's definitely fast paced and high scoring, but there's just something missing from it for me.

Last edited by nelsosi on 04-29-17 at 12:13PM

Old Post 04-29-17 09:47AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
I'm having a hard time liking doubles. It really is a different game than 'regular' 4-player curling. Maybe it's just what I've seen of it, but it feels like all the play gets dragged into a very small area, and (much like skins - which I also dislike), most of the ends play out in a very similar way. It's definitely face paced and high scoring, but there's just something missing from it for me.

It is a different game. I think you are correct in your description. However, there is less room for error in this game, and a greater risk/reward factor. Big shots become essential, and accurate draws too. Not that these aren't part of 4-person curling, but there is less room for error in this game. You need good shooters and gutsy calls. There is less of a defensive side. It will be interesting to watch the game evolve. I think there are aspects (line calling for example) that are being done differently by different teams. Communication is different too. It is co-called and team dynamics are less top-down. Gender assumptions/habits will be interesting to watch too. It is different yes. It is still rocks and ice. And it made it to the Olympics. Let's RULE!

Old Post 04-29-17 10:38AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Its certainly a different game - and can feature wild up 'n downs.

Only change I'd enact is having a designed brush-holder on the tee - either the coach or someone else holding the stick; either one person for both teams or different stick-holders!

Old Post 04-29-17 11:00AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Only change I'd enact is having a designed brush-holder on the tee - either the coach or someone else holding the stick; either one person for both teams or different stick-holders!

Most competitive curlers spend hours practicing shooting at targets, without a broom-holder. True, the millimeter accuracy might go missing, but part of the game will be to miss on the pro-side, as they say.

Old Post 04-29-17 11:04AM
Curlwalker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Looks like US qualified for olympics

US beat Italy which seems to give them a combined at least 13 points...good enough for qualifying I think. Congrats.

Old Post 04-29-17 12:10PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Click here to Send Curlwalker a Private Message Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Re: Looks like US qualified for olympics

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
US beat Italy which seems to give them a combined at least 13 points...good enough for qualifying I think. Congrats.

They're in!!! Just saw the message on Twitter

Old Post 04-29-17 01:53PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Click here to Send AK267 a Private Message Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Looks like US qualified for olympics

quote:
Originally posted by AK267
They're in!!! Just saw the message on Twitter
That is a pretty sweet consolation prize after doing so well in the RR then losing the first in #roundOf16. Congrats to the Hamiltons. What about SCO and RUS - SCO won the game. Were they already guaranteed? Are any others on the fringe? Awful not having the outcome in your own control.

Last edited by nelski on 04-29-17 at 02:11PM

Old Post 04-29-17 02:09PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

that was a pretty questionable call by canada on its last in 8. why not just draw?. you have backing and the path is clear

little fortunate china didnt get the inside roll on their last in 7 or that steal would have been a chinese win.

been a good game but now canada's power play is used up so its gonna be a lot more conducive to china stealing the win if they can get their draws in the right spot

Old Post 04-29-17 03:41PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Looks like US qualified for olympics

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
That is a pretty sweet consolation prize after doing so well in the RR then losing the first in #roundOf16. Congrats to the Hamiltons. What about SCO and RUS - SCO won the game. Were they already guaranteed? Are any others on the fringe? Awful not having the outcome in your own control.

scotland is in. they finish 11th, which i am pretty sure is enough to qualify . they had a strong year last year. not enough teams that could have passed them got out of the round of 16 or group

little bummed to see the czechs lose in the semis. dont think that gets them enough points to get in. russia same thing

Last edited by misty1 on 04-29-17 at 03:47PM

Old Post 04-29-17 03:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
that was a pretty questionable call by canada on its last in 8. why not just draw?. you have backing and the path is clear

I thought that was odd as well. The shot they played was very makeable, but definitely thought they'd draw.

Old Post 04-29-17 03:57PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks like US qualified for olympics

quote:
scotland is in.
Hmm... just saw a tweet saying they were NOT in. That their LSD score was too low for a three-way tie. Said Norway is in. Still not sure. Exciting.

Old Post 04-29-17 04:03PM
PeelOfShame
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
been a good game but now canada's power play is used up so its gonna be a lot more conducive to china stealing the win if they can get their draws in the right spot

Just fyi - you can't use the power play in extra ends. It's why they used it in 8.

Old Post 04-29-17 04:10PM
PeelOfShame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PeelOfShame Click here to Send PeelOfShame a Private Message Find more posts by PeelOfShame Add PeelOfShame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks like US qualified for olympics

quote:

scotland is in. they finish 11th, which i am pretty sure is enough to qualify . they had a strong year last year. not enough teams that could have passed them got out of the round of 16 or group

Scotland is actually out.

Both Finland and Norway also have a minimum of 11 points. same as scotland. In case of a tie the 2017 result is the deciding factor. Therefore both Finland and Norway qualify.

Old Post 04-29-17 04:17PM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Great job so far by Canada's two 'C's'. Carruthers is decisive, but always wants Jo's input and he wants her throwing what she's comfortable with. They really do seem to work well together. One more to go and a first Gold Medal.

Old Post 04-29-17 04:48PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Via WCF's Twitter

The eight countries who have qualified Mixed Olympic Curling 2018...

Canada
China
Finland
Korea
Norway
Russia
Switzerland
USA

Old Post 04-29-17 06:34PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Click here to Send AK267 a Private Message Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Very exciting - after 5 ends. Canada has the lead. But in this fickle game we must hold onto our seats. Go CDA Go. /go4GOLD - 3 points cushion. Come on team. Finish this. Gadz. Creeped up on them. Silver it is. Best yet. Tough finish. Congrats Team Canada.

Last edited by nelski on 04-29-17 at 07:37PM

Old Post 04-29-17 07:10PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Sad skull-crushing ending for Reid & Bandana Jo.

Up 3 coming home - give up a 4 spot!

Actually, some strategy flops in the 8th - if Jo doesn't throw her final stone (ie. the one that rubbed and gave Switz a free draw for 4, the Swiss may not even have a shot for 3.

Jo simply missed the shot, that's the problem. Played so well but was stung be her big miss!

Old Post 04-29-17 07:41PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow. canada definitely got a little luck in getting some wins this week. but thats a crushing loss. they were the better team from start to finish but one really bad miss at the worst possible time and switzerland gets the win out of nowhere.

still a great week for these 2. best ever result for canada at a mixed doubles worlds. but absolutely crushing way to lose. may take a while to absorb this one

Old Post 04-29-17 07:59PM
Ajay
Swing Artist

Unfortunately Reid also made 3 half shots. If any one shot had got a double, very makeable, the end would have been different . It is not solely on Jo,s miss,. Silver still the best ever.

Old Post 04-29-17 08:00PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks like US qualified for olympics

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Hmm... just saw a tweet saying they were NOT in. That their LSD score was too low for a three-way tie. Said Norway is in. Still not sure. Exciting.

wow, i thought they had done enough to get in. wow. sorry for the wrong information

Old Post 04-29-17 08:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks like US qualified for olympics

quote:
Originally posted by curlo

Scotland is actually out.

Both Finland and Norway also have a minimum of 11 points. same as scotland. In case of a tie the 2017 result is the deciding factor. Therefore both Finland and Norway qualify.

i see that now. that really sucks. harsh way not to get in

Old Post 04-29-17 08:05PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Sad skull-crushing ending for Reid & Bandana Jo.

Up 3 coming home - give up a 4 spot!

Actually, some strategy flops in the 8th - if Jo doesn't throw her final stone (ie. the one that rubbed and gave Switz a free draw for 4, the Swiss may not even have a shot for 3.

Jo simply missed the shot, that's the problem. Played so well but was stung be her big miss!

no, there was a shot there for the tie for sure but not the win

Old Post 04-29-17 08:06PM
spiroth
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow! Every skip should watch Canada's last shot. It seemed like the safe play, but they never talked about it. If Joanne never throws it, Switzerland has a tough shot for 3. If she is way light, it is still a tough shot for 3. It was only by being a little heavy that a shot for 4 suddenly emerges, but it wasn't really a miss because (I think) they were focused on removing that back stone (which wasn't really necessary). I am not sure where they were on time at this point, but if they had talked through the possibilities, I imagine that this would have ended differently.

Old Post 04-29-17 08:14PM
spiroth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spiroth Click here to Send spiroth a Private Message Find more posts by spiroth Add spiroth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote