M: Stu Sells Junior Mens Tankard
M: CanAM MJCT Spiel
W: Stu Sells Junior Womens Tankard
W: Morris SunSpiel
W: CanAM MJCT Spiel
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 1
M: Morris SunSpiel
Central Time (CT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Women's Olympics

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 12 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-15-18 09:07AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Frantic Anna has one last draw to the 4 to hand Raytch her 2nd straight loss - - - - and she

MAKES IT . . . . .

Rachel could find the pimple with her last brick, Courtney may have power-brushed it to the back 8 . . . . .

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-15-18 09:08AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow. rachel starts 0-2. did not see that coming.

they haven't looked very good all year . very inconsistent. still..0-2 is not a great way to start in this field

jacobs did start 1-2 in 2014 and ran from there. rachel could do the same still but she's just not looking confident.

02-15-18 09:10AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Hasselborg shirks her rep as a choke artist on the big shots in the big games.

However, despite Sweden taking the duke on Rachel - the Swedes were starting to break down strategically last 2 or 3 ends and Rachel's squad was making everything to near perfection - EXCEPT RACHEL'S FINAL STONE which tumbled 3 or 4 ft. too long!

02-15-18 09:58AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Well it's pedal to the metal time. Rachel had a really good game. Unfortunately she got a bad time from the front end in the 11th. Jo Ann told her it was slowing down, and called out 5/6 out of her hand. I.e. Top eight foot. And swept it for the first half. Turned out back 8 so they got the time and the sweeping wrong. What'r'ya gonna do? You make your best guess and you don't always get it right.

You hate to get in to the 'must win' position so early but if anybody can handle it this team is the one. I still like their chances and would still bet on them for Gold. Can get better odds at this point too:-)

02-15-18 11:15AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Rachel should on a winning track tonite - facing The Distracted Danish Blondes - aka The Dupont Sisters.

Rachel at her worst should be capable of handling Dupont at their best.

If Raytch doesn't pick up the duke tonite she should take off the gear, fire Sonnenberg and be an Olympic tourist.

Or bring Lawes on as 5th, John Morris as coach??? lol

02-15-18 11:40AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Is it a coincidence that Rachel 's curling has been rather ordinary since she got married?

02-15-18 12:12PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Is it a coincidence that Rachel 's curling has been rather ordinary since she got married?

Since when does ordinary win a Canadian Olympic Trial?

02-15-18 01:45PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay

Bode Miller on line 2. Wants to tell you all the grief he took saying the same thing about an American female skier.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 02-15-18 at 02:01PM

02-15-18 08:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i think what's hurting rachel here is the poor calls at the worst times.

in the game against korea that shot she tried just wasn't there. based on how korea played that last end you might like their chances to have set up a steal situation in the tenth . think the draw was the call. she could have even picked out shot rock if she wasn't comfortable drawing. she also could have played a tap of some sort for maybe 2.

then in the game against sweden , again there were some questionable calls and on the last one she was just that bit to heavy

i said before i could see her doing a jacobs 2014 and running the table after a slow start. thing is though they have not had a great season in the overall picture. they've been very beatable all year and that's continued here.

if she loses again early though things could be very interesting down the stretch. a 1-3 record ... would make things interesting

02-15-18 09:33PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

in the game against korea that shot she tried just wasn't there. based on how korea played that last end you might like their chances to have set up a steal situation in the tenth . think the draw was the call. she could have even picked out shot rock if she wasn't comfortable drawing. she also could have played a tap of some sort for maybe 2.

then in the game against sweden , again there were some questionable calls and on the last one she was just that bit to heavy

i said before i could see her doing a jacobs 2014 and running the table after a slow start. thing is though they have not had a great season in the overall picture. they've been very beatable all year and that's continued here.

if she loses again early though things could be very interesting down the stretch. a 1-3 record ... would make things interesting

I'll give Rachel easy wins over Denmark & probably USA - but she's got 2 losses and has yet to play the legendary Scottish Princess - Eve Muirhead. Rachel has a clearly superior team to Eve's but at the skip position Eve is far more wiley, more experienced at the Olympic level (remember all the torment she caused Jones in Sochi?)

Also has to play a very good Swiss unit in Tirinzoni = Silvana doesn't have the accuracy of Homan but she knows how to work around it.

6-3 easily makes 4th, maybe even 3rd in this group of 10. 5-4 is a big puzzling question mark for a tie-breaker. In reality - Rachel needs no take no more than 1 more loss to assure herself a spot in the semis.

As far as Rachel not going for a tying single in the 9th end vs. a supposedly weaker team - I think that's exactly what Jones would have done.

Tough and arrogant skips like Jones & Homan, even Sandra Schmirler - always assume that tied coming home is a bad thing - that the opponent is assumed to be able to make their last brick.

That's why they get greedy - even though the shots probably aren't there. Rachel got burnt by her greed. Jones sometimes did exactly the same. That's the way they roll - and she'll do it again - no doubt in my mind!

02-16-18 01:03AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

A bit of that, yes, but more importantly, she is just plain missing shots while her opponents are making them. When your skip is missing, your team is in deep trouble.

She has the talent, but making it count at the Olympics isn't a guarantee in any sport. The pressure must be incredible.

02-16-18 01:12AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

How classy is that. World class embarrassment to to Canada. Rachel is fast losing respect and support.

02-16-18 01:12AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Well it's official Team Homan is living the nightmare. We've all been there. Seemingly no matter what you do it turns out wrong.

At the moment they are living in backward land. They are playing a club team in Denmark. The only way they are going to beat you is if you give it to them. So....play the runback. If they get a deuce who cares. Tied with hammer is complete control against a team you are so much better than. What you can't do is give them a chance for three. What do they do? Try to cut them down to 1 instead and give them a 3.

Wow. Denmark burns a rock after the hog line and Homan takes it off!???? The burn made no difference. Nobody would or should take it off. This is officially a melt down.

02-16-18 01:20AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

A tainted 4 ender
Very poor sportsmanship
Very sour taste while I debate to cheer for Denmark

02-16-18 01:56AM
JB42
Drawmaster

77% for Jo Ann Courtney? What reefer is that scorer smoking?

02-16-18 02:29AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by JB42 Wow. Denmark burns a rock after the hog line and Homan takes it off!???? The burn made no difference. Nobody would or should take it off. This is officially a melt down. [/B]

That rock was almost completely stopped. The reaction of the Danish skip was priceless. She shook her head a few times then looked at her teammates and gestured as if to say, "Who does that?"

Then at the fifth end break, I think I saw Team Homan laugh at Sonnenberg behind her back. She rambled about clarity (it was nonsense, admittedly) and then walked away to her seat in the stands. The rest of Team Homan ignored her, said nothing, and then once Sonnenberg was out of earshot, Emma asked, "I'm sorry, what did she say?" Everyone chuckled. I may have misheard that, but I don't think so.

02-16-18 03:02AM
Ajay
Swing Artist

That is called "Karma".

02-16-18 03:18AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

What a collapse. Also scores are not up to date at all on scoreboard here. Draw is over but no results up here. Be really surprised if Homan can turn it around. Too much advice, I think. Just go out and curl.

02-16-18 03:44AM
JB42
Drawmaster

Let me start off by saying that Team Homan is my favorite team in the world. I never much cared for women's curling until they came around. The Colleen Jones Connie Laliberte days were pretty much unwatchable. Now I prefer watching Team Homan to any other team. That said.

The collapse is now complete. I've been somewhat at a loss to explain why this team is not more dominant, now I know. Their shot calling is to put it bluntly terrible. At one point they were not only the best in the world they were breaking new ground in the history of the sport. The tick shot as an offensive weapon. Having a multitude of releases. Playing runbacks with a pop release and negative ice. Now that I think of it since they parted ways with Earl Morris they're strategy has dropped from being the best in the world to now, well, baffling is the only way to put it charitably.

The last three calls they made in the extra were brutal. On Emma's last you have to hit the red and move your yellow. On Rachel's first you have to throw the inturn and hit the bloody thing anywhere. In effect they couldn't hit a wide open rock twice in a row to finish the game. On the last one admittedly it wasn't the call but bringing the weight down in the slide path in the extra is whack-a-doodle.

Can they recover? Sure, anything's possible. But for this team going forward in the years to come they desperately need a strategy coach. I'd suggest going to back to Earl. Or Glenn. Best of all I'd suggest the Savill Centre for an extended period in the off season and going over lots and lots of tape with Kevin Martin. The reason Martin was so dominant was that he was the best in the game at calculating risk, and understanding when to break with convention to lower the difficulty of your shots and raise the difficulty of the oppositions shots. E.g. His draw to the back of the four foot defense instead of taking on a low probability runback.

I wish them well and only hope for the best for them. No doubt no one is more disappointed than they are at this moment in time.

One last thing. I really, really, really hope they understand how very unsportman like pulling that rock was and never, ever, do something like that again. Nothing is more important than your reputation for fair play and integrity. Something Kevin can also tell them about.

02-16-18 05:01AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Let me start off by saying that Team Homan is my favorite team in the world. I never much cared for women's curling until they came around. The Colleen Jones Connie Laliberte days were pretty much unwatchable. Now I prefer watching Team Homan to any other team. That said.

The collapse is now complete. I've been somewhat at a loss to explain why this team is not more dominant, now I know. Their shot calling is to put it bluntly terrible. At one point they were not only the best in the world they were breaking new ground in the history of the sport. The tick shot as an offensive weapon. Having a multitude of releases. Playing runbacks with a pop release and negative ice. Now that I think of it since they parted ways with Earl Morris they're strategy has dropped from being the best in the world to now, well, baffling is the only way to put it charitably.

The last three calls they made in the extra were brutal. On Emma's last you have to hit the red and move your yellow. On Rachel's first you have to throw the inturn and hit the bloody thing anywhere. In effect they couldn't hit a wide open rock twice in a row to finish the game. On the last one admittedly it wasn't the call but bringing the weight down in the slide path in the extra is whack-a-doodle.

Can they recover? Sure, anything's possible. But for this team going forward in the years to come they desperately need a strategy coach. I'd suggest going to back to Earl. Or Glenn. Best of all I'd suggest the Savill Centre for an extended period in the off season and going over lots and lots of tape with Kevin Martin. The reason Martin was so dominant was that he was the best in the game at calculating risk, and understanding when to break with convention to lower the difficulty of your shots and raise the difficulty of the oppositions shots. E.g. His draw to the back of the four foot defense instead of taking on a low probability runback.

I wish them well and only hope for the best for them. No doubt no one is more disappointed than they are at this moment in time.

One last thing. I really, really, really hope they understand how very unsportman like pulling that rock was and never, ever, do something like that again. Nothing is more important than your reputation for fair play and integrity. Something Kevin can also tell them about.

I was going to come on here and post something like this but JB42 is close enough to my thoughts that I didn't bother.

The only thing I will add is that I am a huge Team Homan fan and I am really really disappointed by the rock pulling in the 5th. Not sure if they have completely lost me as a fan but the move is the very definition of classless. I think in time Homan will regret her decision to pull the rock. To be honest if she doesn't already regret it I think she's lost me. Regardless of what happens in this competition I think this will always be a black spot on her. Nobody likes cheering for a poor sport, I know I don't. I've actually always enjoyed her 'serious' demeanor on the ice but no matter how poorly that 5th end was going it was a poor choice.

02-16-18 06:57AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Three
The only thing I will add is that I am a huge Team Homan fan and I am really really disappointed by the rock pulling in the 5th. Not sure if they have completely lost me as a fan but the move is the very definition of classless. I think in time Homan will regret her decision to pull the rock. To be honest if she doesn't already regret it I think she's lost me. Regardless of what happens in this competition I think this will always be a black spot on her. Nobody likes cheering for a poor sport, I know I don't. I've actually always enjoyed her 'serious' demeanor on the ice but no matter how poorly that 5th end was going it was a poor choice.

^ Well expressed... and I agree.

No doubt that move of removing the rock has cost them some significant support. That, combined with an 0-3 record, and playing poorly, makes winning a medal an uphill climb, at best.

I think it's very evident that the pressure of the Olympics has gotten to them - and especially to Homan. That the Canadian men's team has started 3-0 adds to the pressure and places even more focus on the 0-3 start.
The result is a standard of play that is noticeably below their usual standard. No doubt the pulling of the burned rock was also the result of the nerves and anxiety caused by an 0-2 start at the OLYMPICS - and being the favourite to win Gold.
At 0-3, the pressure will only increase. But pressure is self created, of course. Still, they will likely feel even more pressure now, at 0-3, than they felt at 0-2. The burned rock controversy places an even a stronger spotlight on the team, which results in them feeling even more pressure. It's the opposite of what they need.
Maybe we'll only see the talent we're used to seeing from them if they get eliminated from medal contention, and can relax.

Here's a decent (if somewhat tilted) article on the team...
http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/bi...ympics-pebbled/

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 02-16-18 at 07:58AM

02-16-18 08:04AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

I was competitive in the 60's
but havent curled a game since 1978....

way back then i would say if i won the briar i would pass on the olympics and worlds ..

its a stacked deck against Canada,

There is soo much luck in curling to start with, add inconsistent arena ice , add the stress of qualifying for Briar - 20 ? wins in a row - then win 11 at Brier , and then go to the olympic circus, add the 2 - -3 - then 4 rock free guard rule , allow all teams to practise in the Canadian circuit - including teams that are employed full time by their country , send top notch Canadians to coach around the world , all in an effort to have multiple winners from different countries

the system works as designed - when it wont work to create winners from all countries it will be tinkered with again

Homan team is playing fine , the burnt rock decision was a result of too much stress ... not the end of the world ( except for team Homan ) - hope they get some breaks and do well

As many curlers have said before - the olympics will be the death of curling if things arent untinkered.

does it look like koe team is having fun - NO ! lol

02-16-18 08:16AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I am stunned they lost to denmark. denmark, no offense to them is the weakest team in the field so to lose to them is, needless to say a little concerning.

if we are being realistic 4 losses is the cut off point for anything. that means they need to either go 5-1 or 6-0 against the field remaining. that's not out of the question and still entirely possible. however the rest of the teams are going to sense an opportunity. knock out canada and winning a medal, winning gold gets a lot more likely. won't be surprised if every team left brings their all against canada now.

6-3 is still possible but no one saw this coming.

in the long run though this may be a good thing. think about it. this team has never had to battle adversity before. they have never had this slow start. this will answer the question of how do they respond. do they battle through and find a way or do they fold it in and poubt and just spiral down

at some point though all great champions face an event like this.

02-16-18 08:17AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

luck in curling - epitomized by korea trying to blank 8 - essentialy makes the shot but tics canada in for the steal

not a smile from koe , brent or ben .. just a look of relief

02-16-18 08:18AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Well ithem down to 1 instead

Wow. Denmark burns a rock after the hog line and Homan takes it off!???? The burn made no difference. Nobody would or should take it off. This is officially a melt down.

Removing the stone was so classless. Shame on the Cdn team!
Karma came back to bite her in the EE.