Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-18 12:57PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
I admit, I've only got a decade or so of history to go off of, but I'm hard pressed to think of a more important curler to the US than John Shuster.

A win Saturday will put him with Bud Sommerville, Bob Nichols and Bruce Roberts all world gold medalists. Bud's two still leads the way.

And I shouldn't forget Debbie McCormick.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-22-18 01:14PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

This is *probably* recency bias speaking, but those other World's Champions had easier paths to tread, I suspect...maybe...kinda...can I weasel word any further?

Regardless....rumor has it Watching party at Potomac's Warm Room at 1:00 AM Saturday morning

02-22-18 03:04PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Shuster playing in the gold medal game is the best thing that could happen to curling clubs this Olympic cycle. The last time the U.S. medaled, there was a groundswell of new members for curling clubs all around the USA. I suspect this will have a big impact again, even with the 14-hour time difference playing hob with viewership. Our Olympic Try Curling event is scheduled for Gold Medal Game day. Excellent timing!

02-22-18 03:04PM
norske is offline Click Here to See the Profile for norske Find more posts by norske Add norske to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
norske
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
This is *probably* recency bias speaking, but those other World's Champions had easier paths to tread, I suspect...maybe...kinda...can I weasel word any further?

One could argue that playing on close to perfect 26-second Slam ice with 5+ feet of curl might be a little *less* of a challenge than the conditions that the aforementioned champions faced. Sure, they have stronger competition, but the ice isn't one of them anymore.

02-22-18 03:59PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Now that Canada is out of the final, I'd love to see U.S. win. Met the guys at worlds in Halifax and are a great bunch of guys.

02-22-18 04:39PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

no question shuster played well. however there's also no question edin has been the class of the field. while i won't rule shuster out completely i just find it very hard to see him winning. edin just seems to go into yet another gear when he makes the playoffs. he doesn't lose a lot when he gets there. i think it'll take edin being off for shuster to beat him.

i'd say the odds are about 70%-30% for sweden winning over the US.

02-22-18 05:07PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Edin lost to both Norway and Switzerland. And, Koe also got beat by seemingly lesser teams . Hence, John could pull off another upset, I hope so. Good luck US team , from Canada.

02-22-18 05:19PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Edin lost to both Norway and Switzerland. And, Koe also got beat by seemingly lesser teams . Hence, John could pull off another upset, I hope so. Good luck US team , from Canada.

like i said i'm not saying it's impossible but i'd be surprised if it happened.

02-23-18 02:26PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

You can't control winning or losing, only how well you play. Go out and play well, and let the chips fall where they may. And enjoy the moment while you are at it. It's hard to perform well if you are tied in knots. Fortunately, both teams have had plenty of experience in high-pressure games.

02-23-18 02:34PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I like Shuster's chances.

They've been playing loose as anything these last 4 games...and I don't see it changing.

They're playing with house money, their expectation was 3rd-6th, they've clinched at least 2nd. There's nothing to lose, play another 95% game and the win might just happen.

On the other hand, Edin is World Champ, and was expected to be here (presumably vs a Canadian) all along. He can't win, if he wins, it's just what was expected. If he loses, it's a disappointment.

Plus, there's a lot of US fans in the stands. I think the house will be Pro-Shuster tonight...well...tomorrow morning...

Safest bet of all, somewhere, Tuck is happy as a pig in poop.

02-24-18 03:50AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Wow. Five. Love the game. From a Canadian.

02-24-18 06:51AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

They did it.

Those glorious bastards.

First time a USA mens team have won on the international stage since the Worlds in 1978

Last edited by AK267 on 02-24-18 at 06:53AM

02-24-18 07:21AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Congrats to Schuster and team, A well deserved win! Enjoy!

02-24-18 09:47AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Congrats to Schuster and team, A well deserved win! Enjoy!

Ditto here too. These guys always seem to have hard luck but they came through big time.

02-24-18 11:06AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Count me is as one of the Canadians to be so happy with this result in the final. Always have liked Shuster's team for a few years especially after having seen them up close at a Continental Cup.

However you have motivated us to get that gold back in 4 years!

02-24-18 11:09AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc
Shuster playing in the gold medal game is the best thing that could happen to curling clubs this Olympic cycle.

I think #WinningIt trumps your description of "the best thing" and #ohYeah. Congrats TeamShuster. Hard earned. Steady Road. Mental champion. #Gold

02-24-18 11:11AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
it just takes a few well timed shots - or a 3 and a 2 ender,
or a four , or a pick

I'd settle for 5 😀

02-24-18 04:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Well done.

Matt will need to change his back pocket green towel to gold.

02-24-18 04:38PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Good for team Shuster. I recall not that long ago an interview he did on late night TV and they relayed how in awe they were of some of the Canadian teams.
And now they're on the winners podium in the biggest event there is, donning their Apollo 11 suits and flashing perma-grins.

02-26-18 11:15AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

So now that we all got some sleep after Friday night/Saturday morning, we can start the post-mortem. (Not sure if this should be here or in another feed, but oh well).

Surely the HPP will broadcast the Men's result of how successful the process has been. I don't feel the way they spin it will be entirely accurate, there will be some self preservation in there.

Shuster was a self-formed team that essentially forced their way into the HPP by playing well and beating that hand-selected teams. So, essentially the HPP failed in that their hand-picked teams did not win (Shuster won, and Roth had a poor to middle-of-the-road performance, technically 8th I believe).

I think what this does show in the HPP (yes, there actually is something they did well) which was successful, is giving funds to teams that show good performance helps them to boost their performance. This has been seen in the teams that have been given money to travel and compete. They are higher ranked now on the tour (one can debate if that really means anything, but for lack of other metrics, it will do).

The HPP is also killing competitive US curling and not developing a depth at all. This is especially apparent in the women's side.

Essentially this cycle has told me; self-formed teams that show promise, do well at national events, and are given money can improve to get into that upper echelon of teams.

In Canada, teams that win the Scotties and the Brier get some funding, and if next year another team wins, they get funding. Canada Curling doesn't just sponsor Rachel Homan each year; she needs to demonstrate she can perform. I don't see why the US couldn't do something similar.

02-26-18 11:34AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Here I am again; breaking my promise to myself and posting instead of just reading. This will not be an "I told you so" post. It might read like that, but the end will be different.

As those who know me may suspect, I'm beyond thrilled.

John Shuster, himself, has mentioned that he drew inspiration from Dan Jansen's life. That's good, but the Jansen analogy falls well short of Shuster's story.

When Jansen fell in both of his events for his first Olympics, we felt bad for him. When Shuster suffered narrow defeats at the start of his first Olympics as a skip, we demoted him and then benched him.

When Jansen didn't medal in his second Olympics, we remembered how he had lost his sister and felt his pain. When Shuster finished at the bottom of the standings in his second Olympics as the skip, most of us scorned him and made him the punchline of bad jokes.

If Dan Jansen is respected for the depth of his character (and he certainly is and certainly should be), then John Shuster should be revered.

I did not return to this forum to say "I told you so" nor to berate the haters and castigate the doubters. None of the haters and doubters had the advantage of knowing John. All of us who do know John never could hate and didn't doubt (OK...2 wins and 4 losses in the first half of the round robin...I did have a little doubt).

We who have met John had an advantage. We know of his love for the game. We know his work ethic. We knew of his patriotism. We saw his talent. We experienced his driven nature and singular focus. Now that depth of character will become more and more apparent to all of you as his story gets told on TV talk shows and splashed across all the print media.

The haters and the doubters (Cleveland Browns of curling???) can easily be forgiven. They saw with their own eyes what had happened. They were just not as blessed as I and didn't know the man.

Ben Tucker
St. Thomas, ND