LTU (Paulauskaite) Final
JPN (Yoshimura) (7)
ENG (Harsch) Final
AUS (Forge) (7)
SCO (Kennedy) Final
NZL (Olszewski) (6)
USA (Montgomery) Final
DEN (Qvist) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-07-15 04:47PM
Kiwi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kiwi Click here to Send Kiwi a Private Message Find more posts by Kiwi Add Kiwi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kiwi
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin
Having hammer in the first end is a huge advantage. Read somewheres that teams with hammer in first end win 65% of the time. Probably a little less than that for the top teams but still a huge advantage.

I wrote a post about this in Bill Tschirhart's blog last year. Agree - hammer is a huge advantage, especially at high level when basic shotmaking skills are generally really good.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-07-15 05:11PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin
Having hammer in the first end is a huge advantage. Read somewheres that teams with hammer in first end win 65% of the time. Probably a little less than that for the top teams but still a huge advantage.

Win Expectancy (WE) with Hammer since 2003
10 end game
Womens = 55%
Mens = 58%

8 end game (includes tied 10 end games with 8 ends remaining)
Womens = 58%
Mens = 61%

For anyone who enjoys online sports betting, this is a significant item which needs to be factored in your handicapping.

12-07-15 05:21PM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom

Win Expectancy (WE) with Hammer since 2003
10 end game
Womens = 55%
Mens = 58%

8 end game (includes tied 10 end games with 8 ends remaining)
Womens = 58%
Mens = 61%

For anyone who enjoys online sports betting, this is a significant item which needs to be factored in your handicapping.

It'd be interesting to try to factor out of this the variable of WHY a team got hammer in the first end. For instance, if in the majority of cases, hammer was decided by draw to the button, the "advantage" may simply reflect that the better team draws better and wins more. It would be particularly interesting to see whether hammer in the first end translates into significantly more victories, when hammer is decided by a coin flip rather than something skill -based.

12-08-15 12:40AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom

Team McEwen is one of the top 5 teams in the world. (Edin, Gushue, Jacobs, Koe and McEwen, in alphabetical order). The next 5 or so teams are also real close to joining them, so the gap is not all that wide.

The game has gotten too easy for these guys. With the perfect ice groomed to be the same at every venue, fast houses and lively rocks, these folks are curling around 90% every game. What other sport has a success rate that high? It is fun to watch how good they are but it would be more interesting if it were not so easy to them.

12-08-15 01:40AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

It is hard to believe that drawing the button is almost automatic for the win. Maybe some bad ice would be make the games more interesting.

12-09-15 09:45AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

The game has gotten too easy for these guys. With the perfect ice groomed to be the same at every venue, fast houses and lively rocks, these folks are curling around 90% every game. What other sport has a success rate that high? It is fun to watch how good they are but it would be more interesting if it were not so easy to them.

Yes, which is why they flounder and not win in other Countries. Perhaps they should try some of these slams in a curling club or remote location like Iqaluit. It would make it more interesting on challenging ice.

12-09-15 10:15AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Snooker has a similar success rate when they are on. And they ain't always on. Just like they ain't always on in curling. Take a look at the stats right now at the Canadian Open.

Team Laycock, Cotter, Casey, Howard all under 80% in game 1.

The back-end of McDonald, Rocque, Lawton and Sigfridsson all under 70%.

Rachel Homan by way of contrast has her A game going today and is shooting 97% after 5 ends.

12-09-15 10:26AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Go watch the 1985 Brier final between Ryan and Hackner. The one with the "greatest Brier shot of all time". From the golden years of the sport. If only things were as good now.

The game is essentially unwatchable crap compared to what we have now. Be careful what you wish for.

12-09-15 11:04AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Talking I never wish for the "past"...

With some of the world's best Ice Techs now doing events world-wide.. the incidence of really bad foreign ice are almost not there anymore

I like the good ice ( imagine if you were a top curler)...
very few sports depend on the changing conditions of the field they are competing on

Now elite curlers can keep upping the degree of difficulty of successful, complex shots

Aside:
I personally think there is still too much of the "accepted" strategies relied on ( listen to Russ Howard when someone deviates from the expected "norm" )

Last edited by HotRocks on 12-09-15 at 11:26AM

12-09-15 11:11AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Re: Wed a.m. predictions

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
5 full games on this a.m.

Homan vs. Lawton - I think Lawton (if ready) might give Homan a rugged battle, especially if Rachel is suffering lingering effects of the illness she had last weekend. However, even a wounded Homan (75 to 80%) has the horses to subdue an eager Lawton squad - especially if Stef suffers the same bugaboos that continue to infest her game.

this is the Canada Cup thread.....

Last edited by HotRocks on 12-09-15 at 01:40PM

12-09-15 12:08PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Wrong thread for predictions

This is the Canada Cup thread, you want the Canadian Open.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 12-09-15 at 12:12PM

12-09-15 03:43PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

More great ratings over the weekend for curling.

Draw averages are:

#5. Curling, Canada Cup women's final, Sunday, TSN: 422,000

#8. Curling, Canada Cup women's semi, Saturday, TSN: 378,000

#9. Curling, Canada Cup draw 9, Friday, TSN: 327,000

#10. Curling, Canada Cup men's semi, Saturday, TSN: 312,000

#11. Curling, Canada Cup men's final, Sunday, TSN: 307,000

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."