Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > Viterra Championship - MB Mens - Feb 8-12/17, Portage

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-11-17 10:19PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Obviously it worked out here but it so easily could have gotten him in the ass and it's not exactly a strategy I agree with.

It's the proper strategy. Score 2 or more with hammer. At this level, the other team would be ecstatic if they gave up 1 to get the hammer. Of course last end tied is a different story. Blank 9 in a row if you have to.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-11-17 10:29PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by guido

It's the proper strategy. Score 2 or more with hammer. At this level, the other team would be ecstatic if they gave up 1 to get the hammer. Of course last end tied is a different story. Blank 9 in a row if you have to.

I wouldn't exactly call it the proper strategy but whatever. I definitely disagree with that second part.

I don't care about blanking an opening end to get hammer in even ends , that's a smart play. But, come on you came to play so don't burn close to half a game away.

02-11-17 10:53PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

Right, exactly, I agree 100%.

I got the impression that some posters were assuming the penalty was for breaking the broom, as opposed to falling under the new broom rules this season. My whole point was that it's a case of the new rule(s) having unintended consequences, and nothing to do with breaking a broom out of anger or frustration.

Like I said, for cases like a broken broom the rule needs to be amended...such as your proposal for using the same head from the broken broom on a new broom.

Ok... we're obviously on the same page with this. And so are several others, it seems...

The most simple way to make the rule then, would seem to be that each player must play with the same brush pad (head) for the entire game. This means that they can switch out shafts all they want (though I don't see any reason that they would do this)... and that they can replace any broken shaft, as long as they continue using the same brush pad (although some sort of penalty/consequence should be implemented for those who break more than one broom/shaft in frustration within the same game).

If they break the brush pad out of frustration, then tough luck - they can't replace it. If, however, a brush pad is broken accidentally, it should be allowed to be replaced.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-11-17 11:13PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Every end you blank when you have an advantage keeps the advantage in the first half and then the second half of the game you gain about 1.5% win rate per end.

It's boring but math says blanking all 9 ends is great strategy. Typically in the men's game teams are 55-57% to win starting with hammer and it only goes up from there by continuing to blank.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-12-17 12:09AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
Every end you blank when you have an advantage keeps the advantage in the first half and then the second half of the game you gain about 1.5% win rate per end.

It's boring but math says blanking all 9 ends is great strategy. Typically in the men's game teams are 55-57% to win starting with hammer and it only goes up from there by continuing to blank.

Thanks for the stats Gerry. Also, a blank end isn' t necessarily boring. There may be several great shots to get the blank. I recall Edin making a triple, then Koe following with his own triple to end with a blank.
Moskowy also mentioned on twitter that every end was started with a guard.
Misty1, are you actually suggesting that the team with hammer draw or hit for one on purpose???? That is just BAD strategy. Maybe in the 8th end to go up one, maybe not. I think statistically this may be the right decision.

Last edited by guido on 02-12-17 at 12:13AM

02-12-17 07:07AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Thanks for the stats Gerry. Also, a blank end isn' t necessarily boring. There may be several great shots to get the blank. I recall Edin making a triple, then Koe following with his own triple to end with a blank.
Moskowy also mentioned on twitter that every end was started with a guard.
Misty1, are you actually suggesting that the team with hammer draw or hit for one on purpose???? That is just BAD strategy. Maybe in the 8th end to go up one, maybe not. I think statistically this may be the right decision.

I'm okay with blanking to have hammer in even ends, I'm okay with playing defensively to defend a lead.

when you get into a situation where 3 or 4 ends are blanked in a row it gets boring because you want something to happen.it doesnt really matter the shots that it took to get there

Last edited by misty1 on 02-12-17 at 08:01AM

02-12-17 09:36AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

... a blank end isn' t necessarily boring. There may be several great shots to get the blank. I recall Edin making a triple, then Koe following with his own triple to end with a blank.

Very infrequently you may see a blank end like this but that is far from the norm. And it is definitely not going to happen more than once in a game. So what you are left with in a game with lots of blank ends is just plain boredom. The more games that are played like this, the fewer tickets are going to be sold for championship events. I guess the curlers do not care but somebody should.

02-12-17 10:42AM
brycejmcewen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brycejmcewen Click here to Send brycejmcewen a Private Message Find more posts by brycejmcewen Add brycejmcewen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brycejmcewen
Swing Artist

While I agree with y'all about the rule should be amended to allow a player to put his old pad on a non-broken broom, in this case, the pad was the only part of the broom that was broken. It was the new style performance brush that was approved in the last two weeks. The pad has two plastic clips that snap into the broom, and one broke.

And to correct some alternative facts in this thread, Team David Bohn won the MCT Championship this year.

Great run for Loreth. Anyone who's complained that the Olympics have ruined curling, or that it's gotten boring with the same teams always playing on TV should love this. Those boys are old school.

02-12-17 10:51AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Well - Mikey opened with a three - so we won't have the blankety blank scenario in the semi.

02-12-17 11:13AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

I guess you wouldn't like shut outs in hockey, no hitters in baseball, and such. I can see a blank being boring if it was like pre 4 rock rule. But it isn't. Enjoy the game for what it is, not for what you want it to be.

Last edited by guido on 02-12-17 at 11:27AM

02-12-17 11:27AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

blank

blank ends - if you are watching today's telecast, you would have heard Stoughton say there was a lot of rocks in play every end. But with good curling, lots of doubles, they ended in blanks.

He said rum backs were being made, doubles, draws. McEwens final rock picked in 8, for Reid to take two.

Last edited by CURLER1 on 02-12-17 at 11:30AM

02-12-17 11:45AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: blank

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
blank ends - if you are watching today's telecast, you would have heard Stoughton say there was a lot of rocks in play every end. But with good curling, lots of doubles, they ended in blanks.

He said rum backs were being made, doubles, draws. McEwens final rock picked in 8, for Reid to take two.

Yes, I heard . unfortunate wha happened to Mike.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-12-17 at 11:51AM

02-12-17 11:50AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
I guess you wouldn't like shut outs in hockey, no hitters in baseball, and such. I can see a blank being boring if it was like pre 4 rock rule. But it isn't. Enjoy the game for what it is, not for what you want it to be.

Well, I find those sports incredibly boring and hard to pay attention to. Sorry if I could offend any fans.

It's not so much that the blank is happening and the shots are being made to make it it's the end result and just waiting for something to happen

02-12-17 12:05PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Gunnlaugson

Named by the players for the Pat Spiring award - good on him!

http://viterrachampionship.ca/news/...award-recipient

02-12-17 01:36PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Lots of rocks in play and two teams making a lot of shots can lead to blank ends like yesterday with McEwen and Carruthers. Same thing happened at the Brier last year too.

The players do care, that why they're advocates for the 5-rock rule being used in the Grand Slams.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-12-17 01:37PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Well, I find those sports incredibly boring and hard to pay attention to. Sorry if I could offend any fans.

It's not so much that the blank is happening and the shots are being made to make it it's the end result and just waiting for something to happen

I am assuming you would be a big fan of losing the hammer if an end is blanked?

02-12-17 02:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I am assuming you would be a big fan of losing the hammer if an end is blanked?

well, like i said i can appreciate the strategy of blanking an end to get the hammer in even ends so not really.

its the blanking of 2 , 3 or 4 ends in a row im not a fan of.

02-12-17 02:28PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Rocks in play??? Watching Alberta game ?.. 4 ender.

02-12-17 02:45PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Rocks in play??? Watching Alberta game ?.. 4 ender.

And 3/6 ends blanked

02-12-17 04:11PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Stoughton

really enjoy listening to Stoughton. Get more insight on the guys.

02-12-17 06:52PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Would love to know what came down on Carruthers for him to relinquish a foursie in eight. A miss obviously. Can anyone deliver a bit more detail. Hang on Mikey. Peak for those trials though.

02-12-17 07:27PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Would love to know what came down on Carruthers for him to relinquish a foursie in eight. A miss obviously. Can anyone deliver a bit more detail. Hang on Mikey. Peak for those trials though.

Mike had a deuce setup and Reid did not want to give two back so had two chances to corner freeze to a stone in the 12 foot behind cover but got deep on both of his stones. Mike had a fairly standard nose hit double for four.

02-12-17 08:11PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Not directly relevant to this championship, but figured this is a decent place to ask the question....What happened with Rob Fowler? Did he retire from competitive curling?

02-12-17 10:43PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

well, like i said i can appreciate the strategy of blanking an end to get the hammer in even ends so not really.

its the blanking of 2 , 3 or 4 ends in a row im not a fan of.

Did you blame Reid's loss on not blanking 4 ends in a row? Because yesterday you were gonna blame that as the main catalyst had he lost, but he won. So you can't have it only one way.

I find it fascinating that you think a strategy that increases win probability is bad. You probably are the person at the blackjack table who hits on 17 and yet wonders why they lose all their money....

02-13-17 03:00AM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

excellent Alberta final, nail biter all the way....excited for team Botcher to go to the Brier!