M: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Men
W: Kamloops Crown of Curling
W: Medicine Hat Charity Classic
W: Lady Monctonian Invitational Spiel
W: EJCT Oslo Junior Women
W: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Women
W: Stirling Wheelchair Curling International
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

Curling Pick'em

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Continental Cup. thurs ajan 12 12 noon edt

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-17-17 12:27AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

If I may be permitted a post which is pertinent to the thread title...

I like the Continental Cup format. I hate the Mixed Doubles, and would love to see it eliminated from the program for the weekend - but otherwise, I like seeing the players get together in an informal, yet still competitive, context.
We are used to seeing these players as fierce rivals to each other, and it's nice to see them laughing with each other, hugging, and generally pulling for one another. It introduces an entirely different context than the one we're used to seeing, and allows us a little better insight into the individual personalities and characters of each player, as well as into the relationships they have with one another.

It was also nice to see North America win after the majority of people - including many very experienced so-called 'experts' - picked 'The World' to win.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-17-17 09:35AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I was astounded North America won. Especially, if you had told me Chelsea Carey & Jennifer Jones would have donated about 10 World points just between the 2 western Canadian squads. Jones herself donated 6 or so points.

Didn't expect Reid Carruthers to morph into the voracious monster he's become. Incredible transition - that's an awesome team and Reid has incredible horse-power under the hood.

Didn't expect Heath McCormick and Jamie Sinclair to haul as much water as they did. Really great breakout event for Sinclair. If she can find or play in more events she could be quite the force at worlds or Olympics. McCormick might even challenge for a Top 5 worlds spot if he can slither thru the USA event.

Ulsrud was the biggest disappointment for Team World by far. Edin was OK, but got rammed by Carruthers. Binny Feltscher, must have thought this was her event after she machined off Jones early but things came crashing down - as a win over Jones can now be attributed to Jones defeating herself.

The Japanese ladies were by far the best of a bad lot of World curlers. Don't know if they can extend their fine play to the worlds - but I'm sure they'll give it the good old college try. The giggling had me I must admit - soundtrack of the entire event! That, and Jill Officer's silly Moose Hat and gas-blown noise-maker!

The worst sign - a glum and unenergetic Jones going about business as if nothing mattered and barely contributing in the cheer-leading department. Jones once superb shot-smithing has fallen dramatically. I'm sure there's about 5 teams in Manitoba waiting to get their hands on her at the Manitoba Scotties. To those teams - BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR - - - JONES CAN RISE UP FROM THE DEAD LIKE NO OTHER WOMEN CURLER IN HISTORY - SHE MIGHT BE 42 - BUT SHE WANTS TO LEAVE NO DOORS UNTURNED AS SHE MAKES WHATS PROBABLY HER LAST PUSH AT A RECORD 6th CANADIAN WOMEN'S TITLE.

THAT - AND SHE STILL POSSESSES ONE OF TWO COVETED AUTO-BERTHS FOR NEXT YEAR'S OLYMPIC TRIALS - OTHER TEAM BEING RACHEL HOMAN.

Expect to see the following at womens trials - Homan, Jones, Sweeting, McCarville, Flaxey, Fleury (that's why she's playing so many events w/ the 5 girl rotation). The other spots probably between teams like Lawton, Einarson, Schiedegger, Larouche, Middaugh, Harrison, etc.

01-17-17 04:45PM
JV_21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JV_21 Click here to Send JV_21 a Private Message Find more posts by JV_21 Add JV_21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JV_21
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
The Japanese ladies were by far the best of a bad lot of World curlers. Don't know if they can extend their fine play to the worlds - but I'm sure they'll give it the good old college try. The giggling had me I must admit - soundtrack of the entire event! That, and Jill Officer's silly Moose Hat and gas-blown noise-maker!

They already didn't qualify for worlds by finishing 3rd at the Pacific-Asia Championships behind Korea and China.

Given that the 3rd rep out of the Asia is almost always stronger than the last couple reps from Europe this should be looked at after the Olympics.