Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 6 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-09-15 11:29AM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

New teams and rumors??

Now that the select is over and teams start to think about next season what goes on in Manitoba? Does Jeff pack it in? What does Mike and the boys do? Which teams stay together and who splits? Always an interesting time of year as new teams are put together.

My personal opinion is that the top three stay the same. I think Grassie's team splits this year and i also think Lyburn looks for something else. Maybe Gunner at third? Should be an interesting next few months.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-09-15 02:00PM
Corn_Broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corn_Broom Click here to Send Corn_Broom a Private Message Find more posts by Corn_Broom Add Corn_Broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corn_Broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

It wouldn't be surprising if Jeff packs it in. I can see the other 3 remaining intact and looking for a 2nd or 3rd...maybe it's time for Alex to move up. I can't see Mike making any changes in his lineup given the year they've had even with the disappointment of losing yet another Select final. Lyburn has only made the playoff round once in the last three years if memory serves me correct so not sure what the solution is for them. I certainly think Grassie is due for a shake up with perhaps Corey skipping his own team. Gunner should get back on the scene considering how well he did with the young guns at the Select. I can't see him wanting to play third for someone though. It will definitely be interesting to see the changes that will take place. One thing for sure is that teams better keep their heads up with juniors like Dunstone and Calvert making their move as they will definitely be taking their places high in the rankings. All just speculation of course!!

02-09-15 05:22PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

the future of manitoba curling

Oh the men had better be looking over their shoulders for sure! Calvert and Dunstone are not the future of curling, but the now. Calvert qualified. Amazing.

Any of the Manitoba curling history buffs know if that has happened before?

02-09-15 05:47PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: the future of manitoba curling

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Happened in 1958 with 17 yr old Terry Braunstein, 16 yr old 3rd Ronald Braunstein, 16 yr old Jackie Hellemond lead. Almost won the Victoria Brier that year, too! Finished 2nd to Matt Baldwin who played most of the week with pneumonia.

1981 - 21 or 22 yr old Kerry Burtnyk wins Manitoba, TKOs Al Hackner in Brier final by taking 3 (2 down coming home) on final end.

Jennifer Jones was a 15 and 16 yr old junior prodigy a quarter century ago. But elected to go to law school so her post-junior playing days were somewhat aborted. She started getting serious again at approx. age 28.

Thanks for the history lesson, most of the 80s and 90s happened during my nursing career where the world kept on spinning and I missed what was happening in my own back yard. Now I am catching up!

02-10-15 08:29AM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Too bad that calverts front end ages out of junior now. Would have been interesting to see how good they could have got if they all could stick together for a couple more years. Not only in juniors but mens as well. For only playing together for a couple years its amazing how much they have accomplished.

02-10-15 08:52AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Justintwiss
Too bad that calverts front end ages out of junior now. Would have been interesting to see how good they could have got if they all could stick together for a couple more years. Not only in juniors but mens as well. For only playing together for a couple years its amazing how much they have accomplished.

there's no reason why they cant play mens together still.

02-10-15 10:35AM
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

there's no reason why they cant play mens together still.

They could still play mens with the same team yes but will Calvert and Kurz want to be playing with 2 teams? The new front end will be 19 yrs or older im assuming so will they just play with that team all year? Im thinking they will play in more mens events then junior events next season anyway. They are still learning and getting better and player stronger mens teams will only help them as opposed to walking all over a few junior teams. I think they will just play with the new team for both mens and juniors. But either way they will be tough

02-10-15 11:21AM
hit_paint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit_paint Click here to Send hit_paint a Private Message Find more posts by hit_paint Add hit_paint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit_paint
Harvey Hacksmasher

Calvert is very good, but let's also give the Dunstone team some credit. I believe they have only been playing together as a team for one year. Beat Edin and Epping in Portage, won the Dekalb spiel, lost the MCT Championship semi final, won a major event in the MCA, as well as finishing T-5 at this years Select. If they hadn't lost to Calvert in the Junior provincial final or in the final qualifying game at the Select we would also be talking about them. Calvert is a great team, but let's not forget about another great young team. Manitoba curling is in good hands.

02-10-15 11:36AM
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Very ture. It is nice to see younger teams playing well. Im sure there are a couple other junior teams in manitoba that are right there with Calvert and dunstone as well. Gunner seemed to fit in nice with dunstones rink. I really hope he finds a team for next year.

02-10-15 04:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

They could still play mens with the same team yes but will Calvert and Kurz want to be playing with 2 teams? The new front end will be 19 yrs or older im assuming so will they just play with that team all year? Im thinking they will play in more mens events then junior events next season anyway. They are still learning and getting better and player stronger mens teams will only help them as opposed to walking all over a few junior teams. I think they will just play with the new team for both mens and juniors. But either way they will be tough

well if that team wins world juniors this year you might see the 2 still eligable for juniors just say"
okay, we have won all there is to win as juniors" and focus on the circuit.

02-10-15 04:04PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hit_paint
Calvert is very good, but let's also give the Dunstone team some credit. I believe they have only been playing together as a team for one year. Beat Edin and Epping in Portage, won the Dekalb spiel, lost the MCT Championship semi final, won a major event in the MCA, as well as finishing T-5 at this years Select. If they hadn't lost to Calvert in the Junior provincial final or in the final qualifying game at the Select we would also be talking about them. Calvert is a great team, but let's not forget about another great young team. Manitoba curling is in good hands.

I agree with this. Everyone is talking about Calvert and he has done a great job this season. But we cant forget Dunstone. That team has been great this season as well and also have a great future. In my opinion they are just as good as the Calvert rink.They beat Edin twice actually and they made it look easy both times

I think the epping win was a little luckier because i remember epping had a chance for a big end early and his rock picked and that changed everything in the game. but still it was great to be able to get that win

as you say Manitoba future is in great hands

02-10-15 04:12PM
Corn_Broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corn_Broom Click here to Send Corn_Broom a Private Message Find more posts by Corn_Broom Add Corn_Broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corn_Broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by hit_paint

I think everyone is giving Dunstone credit too....he's mentioned in most of the posts above?????

02-10-15 04:24PM
Corn_Broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Just heard McIntyre, Smith & Hancox are parting ways with Kuran and are looking for a 4th. Could be a rumour but who knows???

02-10-15 07:31PM
MASHKA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MASHKA Find more posts by MASHKA Add MASHKA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MASHKA
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think people have to put the Calvert team in context a little bit. They're obviously a strong team but i don't think its fair to compare them to Burtnyk just yet, Burtnyk won Manitoba during the most competitive time in curling history and then went on to win the Brier. Calvert made the playoffs at provincials last week but beat only one of the top 10 seeds (Grassie). Grassie and Lyburn both completely fell on their faces in the 4/5 pool evidenced by Calvert playing Muntain in the A qualifier. Further to this in the provincial junior final they entered the 9th end down 2 without hammer and somehow managed to win, an extremely rare and fortunate feat.

02-13-15 10:41AM
Corn_Broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

NEW TEAM - skipped by Sam Good along with McIntyre, Smith & Hancox....3/4 of the 2011 Jr Men's Provincial Champs back together again. Good (along with McIntyre) was also the 2009 Jr. Men's Provincial Champ. They have all played together before in one format or another and all have Select experience so it'll be interesting to see how well they'll do. Good luck guys!

02-17-15 10:10AM
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Getting the band back together. Should be pretty solid team. Nice to see Sam back skipping again. Wonder how much they end up playing.

02-25-15 10:05AM
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Heard that Daly Peters is skipping Grassies's team of Peters ,Chambers, Janzen, Shiells

Also seen via facebook that Andrew Irving has listed himself as a free agent. Gunner was throwing rocks with Willy so I'm saying pencil that one down if your keeping track at home. Willy, Gunner, Daneault, Gagne

My last bit of info heard through the grape vine was that Jeff is indeed packing it in. Not sure if this is true or just people talking tho

02-25-15 11:27AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Heard that Daly Peters is skipping Grassies's team of Peters ,Chambers, Janzen, Shiells

Also seen via facebook that Andrew Irving has listed himself as a free agent. Gunner was throwing rocks with Willy so I'm saying pencil that one down if your keeping track at home. Willy, Gunner, Daneault, Gagne

My last bit of info heard through the grape vine was that Jeff is indeed packing it in. Not sure if this is true or just people talking tho

if jeff is indeed packing it in i would imagine rob, alex and conor would stick together . rob would skip and alex will probably play 3rd. they would just need a new front end guy

also...has daley held a team together for more than one season.

02-25-15 02:19PM
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Just heard from another source that Jeff is done. So hats off to an amazing curler on a great career. I agree that Rob, Alex and Connor will find another player. Do you think Al Lyburn comes back????

Also I think Daly played at least 2 years maybe 3 with the same team when he was with Vic, Chris and Denni. Could be mistaken tho.

02-25-15 03:47PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

Quick Jeff story. During last years play in Toronto and after one game that he'd lost, a bunch of younger kids were waiting to get some pictures and autographs. Most were waiting for ontario players but mine was waiting for Jeff. After a brief hello and a pic we thanked Jeff and wished him good luck. Lo and behold, he runs into the back grabs a shirt and gives it to my son. All class! And I'll tell you, my son will never forget that.

02-25-15 04:07PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Just heard from another source that Jeff is done. So hats off to an amazing curler on a great career. I agree that Rob, Alex and Connor will find another player. Do you think Al Lyburn comes back????

Also I think Daly played at least 2 years maybe 3 with the same team when he was with Vic, Chris and Denni. Could be mistaken tho.

well if jeff is done im going to miss him. its going to be so weird to watch the safeway championship and not see jeff there.

im not sure al lyburn will go back. im guessing they maybe pick up a younger curler like maybe witherspoon or irving, since he's apparently now a free agent.

02-25-15 04:52PM
MB Tucker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MB Tucker Click here to Send MB Tucker a Private Message Visit MB Tucker's homepage! Find more posts by MB Tucker Add MB Tucker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MB Tucker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Confirmed on twitter Jeff is done. Does anyone know if Grassie has anyone lined up?

02-25-15 05:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, i see that now. wish him all the best in his life after curling. in my eyes the best curler manitoba has ever seen male or female

02-25-15 06:45PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:

if jeff is indeed packing it in i would imagine rob, alex and conor would stick together . rob would skip and alex will probably play 3rd. they would just need a new front end guy

also...has daley held a team together for more than one season.

The only thing is Fowler will want a solid 3rd who can set things up and use the bail out weapon. Alex is where he needs to be for now playing 2nd. Now who will be the new 3d, Al Lyburn? Brenden Taylor? or one of the Calvert boys want to get their feet wet into atleast part time touring outside Manitoba?

02-25-15 06:46PM
nicecontroleasy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nicecontroleasy Find more posts by nicecontroleasy Add nicecontroleasy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nicecontroleasy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
yeah, i see that now. wish him all the best in his life after curling. in my eyes the best curler manitoba has ever seen male or female

I agree he is the best male curler to represent Manitoba, but overall he is a distant 2nd to Jennifer Jones when you talk overall curling impact. You just can't make a case otherwise.

Hopefully he finds a roll within the sport to keep contributing!

Does Fowler go back to skipping? Seems like the options in Manitoba to play at a serious competitive level are few and far between now except for Carruthers and Mcewen.