W: Meridian Canadian Open
: USA Mixed Doubles Championship
W: Glynhill Ladies International
M: German Masters
M: TBayTel Major League of Curling
M: Challenge Assurances Jean Gamache
W: Kisakallio Open
Eastern European Time (EET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mixed Doubles TV Schedule Jan 2-7 - Portage - Full Event Gang - Televised

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-07-18 07:02PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Feel real bad for Val Sweeting - a classy lassie if there ever was; runner-up at 2 Scotties, now runner-up for an Olympic berth.

Neither Lawes nor Sweeting burned up the stats barometer but you'd expect slightly more out of the gal that's skipped last decade. Kaitlyn was clearly more comfortable in the situation than nail-biting Val and made a clutch hit for 4 to basically win the game in the 4th end.

Johnny Mo & Goo curled to pretty much a dead heat - Brad had a couple bad throws and was clearly off-balance on one (wonder if his back started to bother him with all the exertion of 13 games et al?)

Are MD teams allowed an extra player? Or would they borrow someone from either the mens or womens Olympic team should something happen? Anyone know the Olympic rules on this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-07-18 07:26PM
CurlingZoneStats is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingZoneStats Click here to Send CurlingZoneStats a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingZoneStats Add CurlingZoneStats to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingZoneStats
Administrator

Think I heard no replacements allowed. The team is just done if something happens to one player.

01-07-18 11:13PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

They definitely said on the broadcast that if a mixed doubles player goes down at the Olympics and can’t play, the team goes down too. No alternates.

01-07-18 11:20PM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats to Morris and Lawes! Here's hoping for triple gold for Canada in a few weeks!

Quick Q about the rules of MD.

During CBC's coverage, every time they showed their little graphic explaining the rules, the section for the 'power-play' ended with a configuration of a centre guard and a rock buried in the house in the top-8. Did they just screw up or is that an actual third option for a power-play (the other two being each side of the sheet).

Also, when my club tried it at the end of last season, one of the rules was that the team who didn't score had the option of whether to take last rock or not.
Has that ever been a rule in top level play? If so, is it still a rule but one that is ignored as no top level team would ever not want to throw last?

01-07-18 11:36PM
CurlingZoneStats is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingZoneStats Click here to Send CurlingZoneStats a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingZoneStats Add CurlingZoneStats to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingZoneStats
Administrator

Power play allows for rocks to be set up outside of centerline only once per game. Seven ends use the centerline set up. Hammer goes to non counting team same as convential curling. One difference is, if team blanks end they lose hammer .

01-08-18 09:34AM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yeah. I assumed the CBC had just screwed up their graphics regarding the power play.

However, I did just find this http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/c...ainer-1.4060587 which seems to say that deferring hammer is still an option...

"The team with the hammer (last rock) chooses where to place these two stones. If that team elects to place its stone in the back of the 4-foot circle of the house and the opposing team's stone as the centre guard, then the opposing team delivers the first stone of the end. If it opts for the reverse, then it delivers the first stone of the end."

01-08-18 10:17AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

In all my yrs watching & commenting on curling I've never heard a commentator go after an individual curler like Iron Mike Harris went after Johnny "Mo Morris . . . basically for abandoning Kaitlyn's stones when they're still 30 to 40 ft away from the house.
Kudos to Husky Harris for doing it - strong message to Mr. Morris.
Haven't seen aggravation like that since Fresca & Moose Turnbull trying to negotiate terms for property insurance on 1 of Fresca's 84 properties!! lol
Announcers usually shill or find a way to support odd thinking or play on the ice. When Jennifer Jones was going strange in the Olympic semi vs. Muirhead Joan Jett was vascillating between "there's no quit in Eve Muirhead" to "she's Jennifer Jones, and she just makes all the shots!" - - - - regardless of how weird Jones' rock positioning was in the last couple ends!
Most curling announcers and commentators know they're being paid to praise curling - not to tax it. Harris taxed John Morris last nite - refreshing!

01-08-18 01:34PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Click here to Send Qtownranger a Private Message Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats to Morris and Lawes!
I thought Kaitlyn really showcased how good a curler she is, throwing last rock and making a ton of difficult pressure shots.

As a fully qualified armchair skip, I thought some of the strategy on this team was a little shaky and they were beatable, but it didn't happen. I'm less confident of this team's chances in the Olympics than our men's and women's team who have to be the favourites.

So now who curls with JJ in the Mb Scotties? Does it matter?
QR

01-08-18 02:17PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Local media speculated today that Lawes would play in next week's Manitoba Scotties - and even a slam event the week after.

Kinda precarious I'd say.

The Scotties for instance. Jones might slither in with a hot player like Lawes vicing - but then would have to replace her at the STOH. With who? I guess she'd be able to attach Einarson, Birchard, etc. to the squad if required.

Lawes should prep for the Olympics after that, if JJ forces her to play in Killarney.

Or Curl Canada should issue the edict.

Johnny Mo was yapping about shoulder problems - we all saw him bearing the athletic/healing tape on his arm. Perhaps that's why he was washing off on Kaitlyn's stones more often than not?