Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-16 01:26PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

2016 Clubs

Y'all can help a brother out, here. If you're cheering hard for a team, let us all know something about them. The fields are pretty cool. I get to add MidAmerica to my lexicon just as I was getting used to MOPAC. No Alaska teams this year and that bums me out, but I understand the expense and time commitments.

Men's in no particular order:

MidAmerica Kizlyk Been around enough that he doesn't trip the spellcheck anymore. Picked up David Suhr from the Brett Davis team, so they could be moving up.

Washington: Ken Trask takes a break from advising every top team in Seattle to actually throw some rocks himself. Has the widely know Duane Rutan at vice. Rutan curled everywhere while serving our country in the military.

Great Lakes: Michael Moore comes from a solid curling lineage. Played at the highest levels when he was living in Duluth. MY PICK. Team had a good run at The Big Spiel.

Illinois: These guys always get up for Clubs and seemingly always do well. The very likable Sean Silver at third. He's married to Ann Swisshelm, but has long been a good curler in his own right. I'm not sure if he's still the USCA treasurer or not. I strongly disagree with him on the fiduciary responsibilities of public entities like the USCA Board, but I doubt he knows about my concerns nor cares. Team is most certainly a contender and might be the obvious favorite. My pick for the bronze.

GNCC 1: Gert The Mess Messing Proven winner. Seldom flashy, always solid. Never beats himself (which in curling is almost impossible). Rules expert Sam Williams at lead is easy to cheer for. He's donated a lot of his time back to the game.

GNCC 2: Sax Sather They didn't play all that great in GNCC Clubs, so some might be sleeping on this serious contender. Sax was doing ice AND curling. Anyone who has tried that knows how difficult it can be to do both well simultaneously. My pick for the silver.

Wisconsin Irv has been here, done this. Got through the best field to get here, in my uninformed opinion.

My homies from North Dakota: Pengilly. Bismarck locals get home cooking and their own beds. Home ice is always a good betting angle in curling. I think the USCA site is slightly misleading. I could be wrong, but I thing Jason shoots third but Greg viceskips.

Minnesota Team Nunberg out of St. Paul. I know nothing. A little help here, people.

MOPAC Smoltz I got no idea. I think Feindell at third is the son of a respected Saskatchewan coach, so that would make him a Stubble Jumper where I'm from. Not necessarily a bad thing in curling. Some of them Stubble Jumpers can really play.

Ben Tucker (I have no idea who wins this)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-30-16 04:27PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

I hope you didn't just give the Curse of Tuck to the Moore rink. They're two-fisted drinkers who will be tough outs both on and off the ice.

01-30-16 06:03PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Once again Tuck proves that he knows nothing about Eastie curling. Not that Sam Williams, who is at Broomstones so that would have been an illegal team. This is a different Sam Williams who does curl at Ardsley.

JH

01-30-16 08:19PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oops. Wrong Sam Williams. Crap. I knew that one, too. I watched some of Mess's games. Doesn't matter. I'm still widely considered The Nation's Leading Authority on Eastie Curling. OK, maybe not. The only thing JH knows about Eastie curling is which club has the best food. OK, maybe not.

The Curse Of Tuck is upon Great Lakes Ohio Team Moore. Deal with it.

Ben Tucker

01-31-16 12:13AM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Same Smoltz team played in 2014 Clubs in Two Harbors and won a few games. skip Jim Smoltz is originally from Chisholm, MN. Fiendell is son of Barry Fiendell from Sask, but he's no Stubble Jumper. I don't know what a Stubble Jumper is, but he's not one, no sir. Second Karsnia is originally from Intl. Falls, but he learned to curl in Oregon. Lead Hemesath learned to curl in Chicago.

These Ducks from Oregon don't get confused when the water freezes, they just curl on it.

Bruce I. (president, Smoltz fan club)

01-31-16 03:34AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

There are worse things than the Curse of Tuck, like being on the cover of Sports Illustrated or a quarterback the Browns select with the 22nd overall pick. The former is only fatal to the Cleveland Indians but he latter is a kiss of death.

All the same, I'll send up some tasty Great Lakes Brewing Company Christmas Ale if you reconsider. Otherwise, the Judge may have to pay you a little visit.

01-31-16 09:48AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I take offence at that comment. The Curse of Tuck is WAY worse than the cover of Sports Illustrated, getting drafted by the Browns or even the cover of Madden.

I believe the "judge" reference concerns the ghost of the late/great Judge Moore. A wonderful man who gave a lot back to the game. If so, I CANNOT be intimidated nor coerced nor threatened.

I CAN, however, be bought. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but a little bit of Christmas Ale sounds yummy.

So I'm changing my pick. I'm now picking Illinois.

Illinois gold. GNCC 2 silver. My homeboys bronze.

Ben Tucker (I'm not a prostitute that can be bought...more like a politician who can be bought)

01-31-16 10:01AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm not from Manitoba, but I'm close enough to suspect that they call ALL Saskatchewanites "stubble jumpers" just we call all Minnesotans "gophers" or Wisconsinites "cheeseheads". And just as with gophers and cheeseheads, what started as a gentle insult has been embraced by the natives.

I could be wrong. Stubble jumper could be a huge Canadian insult (well, as huge of an insult as the overly-polite Canucks could come up with from their overly-polite brains). I usually only hear the term when Sask beats Man at a National event and it always has an expletive attached to it. For instance, "Have you been following the Canadian Seniors? I can't believe Randy Neufeld dropped a game to those gawddamnstubblejumpers!"

Whatever the origin of the term, the die appears to be cast. Feindell will now always be The Stubble Jumper to me. I hope he's OK with that. Not every curler gets a nickname from Tuck.

Ben Tucker

01-31-16 10:51PM
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

Wise choice. The Judge gives a lot back to the game... but not necessarily in a good way.

http://www.jeppsonsmalort.com/jm.html

02-01-16 11:26AM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Sam Williams on Messing's team is a former Australian junior curler. Nice guy.

02-01-16 02:05PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I refuse to be intimidated by bad booze that tastes like horrible cough syrup. I'm changing THE PICK back to Moore. Moore gold; Sax silver; my North Dakota boys bronze.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I know very little about any of the Ladies' Club teams. So I'll just list them and make a pick. If you know anything about any of the teams, help us out:

Wisconsin Schmus from Madison. I'd like know how to pronounce that one.

GNCC 1 Demars Potomac. 4 curlers from 4 corners on the nation that all settled in DC

Minnesota Deuhs St. Paul. I'd like to know how that is pronounced as well and what nationality it is.

North Dakota 1 Reiser Capital CC. Home ice advantage. Nicole had a good Junior career under her maiden name, Voracek.

North Dakota 2 Bohlman, Grand Forks. They've done well at this event before

MOPAC 1 Courtney Smither Evergreen

MOPAC 2 Naso Coyotes CC

Great Lakes Garrity Detroit

Mid America (or is it MidAmerica...one word?) Wood, Denver These curlers have been to more than few events

Seattle Aryn Grause I think Miyo Konno throws last rocks for this team, but I have no idea.

ND Nicole Reiser would be a serious contender in this field anywhere you'd play it. Give them home ice and they are MY PICK.

I'll take GNCC for the silver. I'll go outside the usual suspects and pick Denver for the bronze.

Ben Tucker

02-01-16 03:13PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

A formidable group of men's teams going to North Dakota next month. I have to admit I know a lot less about Mossberger than the last few teams from the southern half of the state but as Tuck said they had to get by Fraboni, Funk and last years winner Spielman to win so they will be in the hunt.

Messing ran the table in the East and will need to be reckoned with as will Eastie #2 Sather.

Ken Trask from Washington will also be there in the end as will Wright out of Illinois.

So the playoffs will see Wright, one of the two Eastie teams, Wisconsin and Washington.

The East and West (Washington) fall in the Semi's and Cheesehead Mossberger brings trophy home where it belongs against our neighbor to the south. In Superior's case, the FAR south.

02-01-16 04:36PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

The MN men will be tough. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the playoffs.

02-01-16 05:01PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman

Fighting their way out of Minnesota will make them a contender, I just don't know any of them. We are used to the Birr, Stolt, Wilmert, Farbelow, Seppo, and, dare I say it, GARTNER VARIETY, Minnesota teams. Fill us in!

02-01-16 05:16PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Wisconsin Schmus from Madison. I'd like know how to pronounce that one.

Sydney's last name is pronounced "shh-MOOSE".

02-01-16 05:45PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC

Sydney's last name is pronounced "shh-MOOSE".

I think the Angry Bird knows a little more about Wisconsin's team than how to pronounce the skip's name. Didn't you take the mixed bronze out of the vice's hand on Team Karst back a few years ago? Angela and Sean were both playing second in that game. Stole the 10th maybe?

Schmus has done some mixed and mixed doubles curling and the second is no stranger to high level curling.

They should do just fine.

02-01-16 05:58PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Ooooh.....good find! I believe we were down two in the 10th end with hammer, and took the needed 3 to win that bronze. HOWEVER, as a lowly second stone tosser at the time, I take no responsibility whatsoever. I threw my two, did some sweeping, and there we are.

Now that I've actually looked at the team lineups, it turns out I know the entire Wisconsin team, you are right. Solid lineup top to bottom! A final four appearance is quite likely, I'd say. Demers (MD) and Reiser (ND) will give everyone headaches as well. Wood (CO) is my dark horse.

02-01-16 06:59PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Time for me to belittle all the other posters. It's the only way I have to elevate myself; by putting others down. (it's all meant to be funny and these guys will know that)

First we hear from MnIce about Minnesota Men. The only thing Mnice knows about Minnesota men is that he doesn't trust any of them around Maureen.

Then Biterbar chirps. The only thing Biterbar knows about curling is...is...is...I'm drawing a blank here. Well, he keeps the conversation flowing and, thanks to habit of betting on cheesehead teams, I'll never have to pay for a cheese curd for the rest of my life (which won't be long because those things have "clogged artery" written all over them)

Finally we hear from SPMfrom(insert initial of whatever club he's playing in this year)CC. Is he trying to sneak up on wildlife? sshh-moose? Are we supposed to be quiet? (OK, no more making fun of people's names. My name is Tucker and any 2nd grade poet can blow me up) Good news, Sean! I have you picked for 2nd place in Wisconsin Mixed! That's pretty good. I'd have picked you higher but you'll only be the 3rd best Washington DC curler in the Wisconsin field. Still...Tuck picked you to be in the Finals...you should be flattered.

OK, where were we before I decided to amuse myself? (seriously, these guys know me and know I'm just joking) OH, yeah...Clubs. SPM copied my picks, so I must be right. Biterbar picks his homies with the same open objectivity that JH uses to always pick Easties. Anybody else making picks? I promise I won't tease you...much.

Ben Tucker

02-01-16 08:22PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I think there was a team change on the GNCC 1. Don't think that Demars is playing. At least that is what I heard.

JH

02-01-16 09:32PM
thekiltedcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thekiltedcurler Click here to Send thekiltedcurler a Private Message Find more posts by thekiltedcurler Add thekiltedcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thekiltedcurler
Knee-Slider

I can provide some info on the Washington teams.

On the men's side all but Ken Trask have won the Club Men's title within the past two seasons (If I remember right, Ken played down with the team last year but opted not to go).

On the Women's side the lineup on the USA Curling website should read Miyo Konno (Skip), Sara Skulec (Vice), Gina Triolo (2nd), Aryn Grause (lead). Her frontend players are making their first foray into competitive play this season; should be a good learning experience for them.

02-01-16 09:59PM
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

Nothing like a good curse to bring out the best from Ohio so I'm going with a homer pick on Moore. Take it and win, Captain!

02-02-16 12:50AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman

Maybe not as strong as last year's MN team but last year's team Gartner was not too bad and these guys could be in the hunt.

02-02-16 07:18PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Sean, is Schmus one syllable or two or kinda inbetween like Murray?

I'm feeling like maybe I can get some free walleye out of Minnesota. Even money on the Gophers making the playoffs??? I don't know. If Mnice says they're pretty good, they're probably pretty good. Still, I do love me some walleye. No sauger or northern pike, you Gopher rodents. Just walleye. Anybody calling it pickerel will not get to share in my winnings.

Even money on Men or Women, but no parlays allowed. I suspect that the house should be getting odds on these teams making the playoffs. The only reason I'm offering the prop bet is my weakness for Minnesota's best asset. Broiled or breaded and deep fried or BREADED AND FRIED IN BUTTER, that stuff is great. None of you losers pay me off in the big 5 pounders, either. I'm talking prime eating walleye, here. 1 to 2 pounds. The good stuff that you save for your mothers.

Ben Tucker (walleye...yum)

PS Playoffs mean playoffs...tiebreakers don't count (yum...walleye)

02-02-16 09:25PM
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

One syllable. Think "schmooze", but with an S instead of a Z.....so "schmoose".

02-03-16 09:24AM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tuck. It's almost the same pronunciation that you use to get a free beer from the bartender late at night. She will likely be in the playoffs.

If you want a decent Old Fashioned with that fish fry, you're going to need to come to Wisconsin.

My picks to follow.