Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-21-14 06:59AM
gbgorr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gbgorr Click here to Send gbgorr a Private Message Visit gbgorr's homepage! Find more posts by gbgorr Add gbgorr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

Are Grand Slams Only a TV Product?

I watched the 4:30 draw yesterday and there were like maybe 15 fans in the seats? Ridiculous.

It seems wherever the slams go attendance is very poor. Can they series grow just as a TV product?

Sponsors get airtime but certainly no potential customers based upon no bums in seats.

What say you?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-21-14 12:27PM
JRW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JRW Click here to Send JRW a Private Message Find more posts by JRW Add JRW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRW
Knee-Slider

Ever been to a Scotties or Brier for the first 4 days draws including those in the West? Not many fans in seats at either of these. Maybe it has to do with whats at stake or the time of day or the actual potential audience size in any given market. Ever been to an event for the whole thing? I thought not... why not try it and post your impressions about that. Its actually nice to be able to move around the arena to various vantage points and alternate games without the stands full. Also, the fans that are there during these times (except for the bused in school kids) actually understand curling and curling fan behaviour. Its a good time to enjoy watching elite curlers and hear them live.

11-21-14 01:33PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

I have been similarly dismayed by the lack of fan support for the Slams, and view it as pretty sad reflection of our sport.

I enjoy great curling and would love to watch the world's top teams do battle. The continued success of the Brier and Scotties, and increasing success of the Continental Cup, suggests a need for a some connection (provincial or national) between the teams and the fans that is lacking in the Slam events.
Sadly, I think the Olympics destroyed that connection by separating the Olympic hopefuls from the rest of us: the average curler now has little or no opportunity to face off against the very best as I did in my early days. The conservative/predictable play of the Slam teams does not helped 'market' the product either; I'm hoping the 5-rock rule will reverse that trend.
For JRW, I'm from the States, but I made it to the Regina and Halifax Trials where I attended and enjoyed every round of the men's competition.

11-21-14 04:41PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i think its a combination of bad timing as far as schedule goes and these events just not really carrying any significant meaning for fans.

11-21-14 07:46PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shawzy

I think half the problem is the location itself. Sault Ste. Marie is hardly a large city by itself and Northern Ontario is not the most sparsely populated. The next "major" centres are Thunder Bay (7hrs) and Sudbury (3hrs). With that location I can't see many out of town fans to make the trip unless they live in the immediate area, especially for some of the ticket prices I've seen quoted.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.64.79.130

11-21-14 08:48PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

There is the fact that this event starts Wed evening. They started televising Thursday, when many people do have to work during the day Thursday and Friday taking away from spectators in the stands.

11-21-14 09:31PM
magicstew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for magicstew Click here to Send magicstew a Private Message Find more posts by magicstew Add magicstew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magicstew
Swing Artist

Re: Are Grand Slams Only a TV Product?

quote:
Originally posted by gbgorr
I watched the 4:30 draw yesterday and there were like maybe 15 fans in the seats? Ridiculous.

It seems wherever the slams go attendance is very poor. Can they series grow just as a TV product?

Sponsors get airtime but certainly no potential customers based upon no bums in seats.

What say you?

There was a blizzard in the local area which kept people at home.
Also with the Soo not being close to other major centres and with the weather I think a few people stayed home.
they should technically draw a decent crowd especially having hometown favorites Jacobs there.

to go with your original point, I agree these are more made for tv events which we love to watch.

11-21-14 09:47PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

Great crowd on hand tonight in my opinion! I considered going to the Slam since I live in Sudbury but changed plans due to the horrific weather. Rain expected this weekend mixed with snow and freezing rain, won't be good. I was in the Soo for the Scotties in 2010 and the crowds were still great from what I can remember. I think the Soo is a great choice for the Slams to encourage the growth of the sport in various locations across the country.

11-21-14 10:59PM
WrongHandle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WrongHandle Click here to Send WrongHandle a Private Message Find more posts by WrongHandle Add WrongHandle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WrongHandle
Harvey Hacksmasher

There are no great curling rivalries anymore. Everyone at the top has or will have played with each other at some point. This is not great for attracting spectators. And if there are some personal rivalries they are not generally talked about much. McEwen against Stoughton is probably a good one right now because McEwen hasn't won provs yet. Outside of that I can't think of many.

We need to see some emotion from these guys off the ice in pre game interviews. Stir up the animosity a bit.

Also stadiums need to broadcast audio from the games on either internet or fm radio in the stadium so fans can hear the players and choose which game to follow. Everyone should be mic'd.

11-23-14 04:46PM
Posada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Posada Click here to Send Posada a Private Message Visit Posada's homepage! Find more posts by Posada Add Posada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Posada
Swing Artist

Re. McEwen vs Stoughton...

McEwen dropped this Manitoba zinger on TV viewers just before the final began..

----

View the November issue of The Curling News online for a limited time only:

http://bit.ly/1pgbZti
Login: TCNDigital
Pword: Novpromo

11-23-14 08:18PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Even the west (really Manitoba, Sask. and Alberta) aren't lighting up with attendance anymore. Curling is made for TV with player commentary and strategy, so most people would rather sit and watch at home. Other then a major final like the Olympics, Worlds, Brier or Scotties, where you would go for the actual atmosphere, expect more of the same going forward.

I wonder about things, like, if we call an orange an "orange," then why don't we call a banana a "yellow" or an apple a "red"? Blueberries I understand, but will someone explain gooseberries to me?

11-23-14 08:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

If Mighty Mike plays like today during Manitobas he'll make his first Brier.

Stoughton will pretty much try to put up a last stand to stop Mike . . . . Carruthers should also factor in. Fourth team is however has a hot run at the event!

problem is mike and the team always seem to do well in the provincials until the playoffs.

i agree that the final four though will compose of him, stoughton, carruthers and one of either peters, dunstone, irwin or lyburn.

11-24-14 12:19PM
Posada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Posada Click here to Send Posada a Private Message Visit Posada's homepage! Find more posts by Posada Add Posada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Posada
Swing Artist

Fresca:

The words "this Manitoba zinger" are a link. Click the link.

Cheers...

----
View the November issue of The Curling News online for a limited time only:

http://bit.ly/1pgbZti
Login: TCNDigital
Pword: Novpromo

11-29-14 09:43AM
friendlycanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for friendlycanuck Click here to Send friendlycanuck a Private Message Find more posts by friendlycanuck Add friendlycanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
friendlycanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Having been to several GSoC/SoC/WCT events including this one, I believe several factors conspired against the 2014 National in SSM.

1. Significant snowstorms for opening draws on Wed & Thu. Team Carruthers had to bring on the emcee to sub with Moskowy grounded. Snow turned to steady downpours by the weekend.

2. Minimal local marketing. I didn't hear any buzz in the city with the 2014 Gold champions hosting. Most locals, cabbies and business owners I spoke to had no idea it was going on. Did see a few small postcards at the Soo Curlers Association, but that's about it.

3. Weaker field than a typical GSoC event. They had to dip to 33 in the WCT OoM rankings to fill the 18th spot. 2014 World Champions Team Ulsrud and 2013 World Champions Team Edin were at the European Championships, as were Team Michel. No Team Murdoch, either. Four premiere European rinks missing.

3. At $25 for afternoon/evening draws (more for playoffs), it would seem a bit overpriced in a largely blue-collar market. For those at work, even the full pass was over $200 for essentially three night draws and three weekend draws, as no tiebreakers were needed.

4. Team Jacobs started 1-2, which would normally at best only guarantee a tiebreaker to get to the playoffs. Roughly 40% of the building cleared immediately when their games were over. I did find it strange so many had zero interest in the other games that were winding down.

5. Very little thought into the overall fan experience. With all but three draws on HDTV, organizers have to provide meaningful incentives.
-No signing sessions, interviews or player meets.
-No party patch on site.
-Radios for in-arena telecats were defective. By the first end, the table was cleared and vacated, leaving one was stuck with a non-working unit.
-No bands or proper entertainment. On the final night they mentioned bands playing at the SCA 5km north, but no details were ever given. The last National GSoC brought in the Sheepdogs.
-In both the morning and afternoon draws, they brought in 1,500+ screaming schoolkids who took over the arena and they still kept only two concessions open. Lines were 50+ deep with hyperactive children the entire game for these draws. Forget about a paying fan being able to get lunch, let alone a cup of coffee (and you can’t bring coffee in).

*It should be noted that Chelsea Carey's insightful in-arena commentary was terrific.

6. At 75k, SSM would need 1 in every 15 to fill the Essar Centre, a lofty goal. The NYY, considered the gold standard of sports franchises, have trouble filling 50k Yankee stadium in a city of 8.5 million, or 1 in 170.

That said, it was a great event for those who appreciate fantastic curling. The evening draws were steady, a far cry from the embarrassing 2013 Masters in Abbotsford. The Essar Centre is a great jr. hockey facility SSM can be proud of.

11-29-14 12:49PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

A couple of bad experiences for you. Sorry about that. Just want to mention that I'm totally happy with my 42 inch HDTV, gas fireplace, warm and comfy rec room and cold drinks at my beck and call. Or, perhaps I'm just too old and set in my ways to travel to these events. Your articles were a good read and thanks for that.

PS: I support the sponsors of these events faithfully.

Last edited by albetts on 11-29-14 at 12:51PM

11-29-14 12:55PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

So Ulsrud and Edin would have boosted attendance? No. Love Edin, amazing shotmaker, but no matter where you go in this country the simple fact of the matter is that people are looking for Howard, Stoughton, Jacobs and probably Gushue first and foremost. Those guys were there. A year ago Martin and Howard were easily the top draws for fans. Thankfully Jacobs has emerged and McEwen could fill another void as well.

One thing you didn't put on your list which seems obvious to me is no women. I realize they are second class citizens considering they don't get to go to every slam, but many people (including lots of men) would rather/prefer to watch them play then the men. I'm not saying they'd make a major difference in attendance, but they'd certainly have had more impact then the lack of top mens Euro squads. Why not give people more options? Your # 5 is an excellent point though. :up:

Bottom line is the Slams have never really drawn all that well and to the general public aren't nearly as significant as the Brier or Scotties, which are part of the Canadian cultural fabric. The Slams are moving along nicely and have grown this year for the women and men. So although we wish attendance was better, the positives this year are we get more opportunities to see the best in the world go head to head in the BEST EVENTS bar none!

I wonder about things, like, if we call an orange an "orange," then why don't we call a banana a "yellow" or an apple a "red"? Blueberries I understand, but will someone explain gooseberries to me?

Last edited by radiowave on 11-29-14 at 01:30PM

01-14-15 12:27PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

Of course they are a tv product, Rogers owns the slams now and will take full advantage of it. Yorkton had pretty good crowds compared to other events this year.