Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-21-15 04:23PM
Love2Curl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Love2Curl Click here to Send Love2Curl a Private Message Find more posts by Love2Curl Add Love2Curl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Love2Curl
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

So another remain at the status quo and just watch the numbers continue to fall. Its not the elite competition killing the sport, its the clubs unwilling to change.

How quick do you think the sponsors would pull out of the Scotties and briers if their were just club players and no elite.

Our numbers in Saskatchewan continue to drop each and every year. I do not believe the status quo is working.

How should the clubs change to increase number? How many curlers have left the sport over the last 10 years?

At our club every thing is done to promote the game, but the numbers continue to drop. I could care less what happens at a national level, but I can guarantee you seeing number drop at my club and other clubs in the city is very alarming.

Getting the game on TV is great, but its not increasing the numbers at the rink.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-21-15 04:31PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Love2Curl

Our numbers in Saskatchewan continue to drop each and every year. I do not believe the status quo is working.

How should the clubs change to increase number? How many curlers have left the sport over the last 10 years?

At our club every thing is done to promote the game, but the numbers continue to drop. I could care less what happens at a national level, but I can guarantee you seeing number drop at my club and other clubs in the city is very alarming.

Getting the game on TV is great, but its not increasing the numbers at the rink.

The numbers are dropping because curlers are older an quitting and no younger curlers are taking their place. Its getting more younger people into the clubs that will work, yet the old boys are not always welcoming and younger people don't want to play like this.

Curling on tv, is working but not enough at this point in time. The numbers aren't going to bounce back overnight.

02-21-15 05:25PM
melz10 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for melz10 Click here to Send melz10 a Private Message Find more posts by melz10 Add melz10 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
melz10
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

So another remain at the status quo and just watch the numbers continue to fall. Its not the elite competition killing the sport, its the clubs unwilling to change.

How quick do you think the sponsors would pull out of the Scotties and briers if their were just club players and no elite.

I would argue it is the elite competition killing the sport. When new folks enter, it is not about sport and camaraderie. It is not about the traditions and spirit of curling. It is about "winning that Olympic Medal." And once it is realized that it is too hard, or that personal really doesn't have what it takes (skill, time, or money wise), they leave the sport. And all the clubs seem to focus on is competitive curling. Can the next Olympic champ come from our club. That is the disease of the IOC lurking into your sport. It may take a little bit of a different path in Canada, but this is the route it is taking in the USA. All focus has been lost on social curling and the traditions of what made curling great and now it is all about "competitive curling" to the tune that most folks are running around and acting like a bunch of middle school students without parental supervision.

02-21-15 05:33PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

UMm....not sure if you're from the US or not...but...I wouldn't agree that at the Clubs in the US it's become all about Elite curling.

Hell, we have a cadre of folks at our club (Potomac Maryland) who are unhappy because there isn't *enough* focus on anything beyond Learn to Curls and Social leagues.

I suppose we could be the exception, but I kinda doubt it.

02-21-15 05:42PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

As I see it there are two points here. The top curlers and the average public/club curler.

Elite curling seems to be doing well and on the rise with more TV and more events. This is good and the only real mass advertising curling gets.

The top of the tree is growing well, problem is the roots are rotten!

Looking at the slides of the top curlers doesn't encourage the average couch potato to try the sport! Some people yes but someone who is not the most athletic, not so much! Probably 1/2 the senior sections use a stick and they account for up to 1/3 of the club curlers, all part of that 99% of actual curlers that pay for the clubs.

Compared to golf curling is cheap. In fact curling is too cheap to support itself and most clubs depend on the bar to keep the lights on, not a very healthy business plan!

Funny part is curlers, who end up paying $10 to $20 a game if you work dues cost per game, bitch about the cost, yet they will pay $70 for a round of golf in the summer! I guess the fact that curling is way too cheap is a bit off topic, sorry!

I still believe that we need a advertising program aimed at the general public that airs on media like TV in late September pointing to local clubs. Maybe with a call line that gives the phone numbers of clubs in the area code.

We also need a change in attitude of the CCA and provincial associations. Programs like coaching or business seminars or even ice making should be free. After all, that is why these organizations collect dues from clubs and various government grants. With arm twisting you may get people to attend these seminars but ask them to pay as well..for get it....and the clubs barely cover costs to exist so they can't afford to help!

Last edited by lolar3288 on 02-21-15 at 05:46PM

02-21-15 07:40PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

So if its all the Olympics fault lets look at how the numbers for curling was the 90's, i'm sure they were just booming, couldn't keep people back, line ups around the block on registration day right. Then the Olympics and slams came and the numbers shot right down am I right.

02-22-15 12:03PM
nicecontroleasy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nicecontroleasy Find more posts by nicecontroleasy Add nicecontroleasy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nicecontroleasy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
So if its all the Olympics fault lets look at how the numbers for curling was the 90's, i'm sure they were just booming, couldn't keep people back, line ups around the block on registration day right. Then the Olympics and slams came and the numbers shot right down am I right.

You are right but correlation does not imply causation.

Blaming the Olympics, Slams, and Elite (I just like to call them better teams) is flawed. These impactors were inevitably coming and as a whole I would argue have been positive and progressive for our sport.

Curling is fighting demographic and societal challenges like never before and other sports are not immune. The baby boomer impact on participation has come and now fading to gone (TV #'s another story - up and up!). Our associations, programs, and infrastructure have had difficulty adapting, acquiring, and keeping the next generation. There are many, many distractions and time grabbers in today's world.

I don't know what the answers are but what has been done before is not good enough anymore. Some of the problems have been caused by the many traditionalists in our sport that resist and deny change.

Last edited by nicecontroleasy on 02-22-15 at 12:05PM

02-22-15 03:08PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by melz10

I would argue it is the elite competition killing the sport. When new folks enter, it is not about sport and camaraderie. It is not about the traditions and spirit of curling. It is about "winning that Olympic Medal." And once it is realized that it is too hard, or that personal really doesn't have what it takes (skill, time, or money wise), they leave the sport. And all the clubs seem to focus on is competitive curling. Can the next Olympic champ come from our club. That is the disease of the IOC lurking into your sport. It may take a little bit of a different path in Canada, but this is the route it is taking in the USA. All focus has been lost on social curling and the traditions of what made curling great and now it is all about "competitive curling" to the tune that most folks are running around and acting like a bunch of middle school students without parental supervision.

I find this whole argument interesting. I slid into thinking about hockey and how it is so successful in attracting young players. Amongst my friends whose children play, the plan is their kid will be the next Sidney Crosby. They expect the team to win. The atmosphere in the arena is tense.

Now going back to curling. Why shouldn't the young have the same goals?there are far less young curlers vying for the Olympic team of 5 vs the numbers of hockey players vying for the olympic hockey team, once they have made it to the NHL.

Life Goals are good.

The young are not attracted to curling because when you go out onto the ice look around you and what do you see? The young? lots of them? No in most clubs the more mature age group is represented. In larger cities, there are other sports that attract the majority. I think the CCA should look at the hockey, skating, cycling, skiing etc associations and see what do they do to attract new blood. Then once we have hooked them, how do we retain them?

I think that young successful teams beating the old school teams is good for the sport. Team Jacobs, Team Homan, etc are great role models. Jen Jones is a great model of longevity...but kids have to be enticed to watch and then to play.

I can speak for our local club. We had a high school program. (did not run this year due to political issues) The elementary schools could book lessons, but there was no program per se. Most kids did not want to be there, and not many came back into the high school program. Those who showed interest definitely had fun. But it is not "cool" enough for many.

We will be losing our community rink this year for political reasons. So that will be the end of the curling in this community until new ice is built. If it is built.

Hockey is taking over the curling rink because there is a demand for their training program.

02-22-15 03:32PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
[B
"
We will be losing our community rink this year for political reasons. So that will be the end of the curling in this community until new ice is built. If it is built.

Hockey is taking over the curling rink because there is a demand for their training program." [/B]

Now this is a situation where the Provincial Association should be contacting the community rec committee, asking for a meeting to promote the value of curling to a community including kids, Olympics and seniors! Then contact the provincial sport minister to see if additional funding could be made available. They should already have the contacts in their Contact lists! Instead they just sit there like monkeys on a fence watching it happen!

02-22-15 04:02PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288

Now this is a situation where the Provincial Association should be contacting the community rec committee, asking for a meeting to promote the value of curling to a community including kids, Olympics and seniors! Then contact the provincial sport minister to see if additional funding could be made available. They should already have the contacts in their Contact lists! Instead they just sit there like monkeys on a fence watching it happen!

there is a very active hardworking group working to seek a solution. The question is can the supporters sustain the financial burden of maintaining a new facility in the long term. Curling numbers are down. Most of the active voices are 45+yrs. These people are not sitting on the fence, but making efforts to solve a problem.

02-22-15 06:56PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie

there is a very active hardworking group working to seek a solution. The question is can the supporters sustain the financial burden of maintaining a new facility in the long term. Curling numbers are down. Most of the active voices are 45+yrs. These people are not sitting on the fence, but making efforts to solve a problem.

I'm sure the local people are working very hard....but what is the Provincial Association or CCA doing to help!

These sorts of problems are usually above the resources of the Clubs themselves.

02-22-15 07:07PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:

I'm sure the local people are working very hard....but what is the Provincial Association or CCA doing to help!

These sorts of problems are usually above the resources of the Clubs themselves.

And that brings me back to my original point, what is being done to make curling as attractive as other sports. Rocks and Rings does not cut it. Great for little kids. Hockey has kids engaged from a very early age, and the kids expect to excel. Or maybe more correctly their parents do...

I agree that the fed and prov associations need to do more to get kids interested so that there will be a future.

Certainly today's top athletes are reaching out to the young fans after games giving them shirts, brooms etc. That ambassadorship will help.

I am glad to see the 20somethings winning and beating the old guard. The fitness level is also far more attractive. I am hopeful.

02-23-15 02:24AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nicecontroleasy

I don't know what the answers are but what has been done before is not good enough anymore. Some of the problems have been caused by the many traditionalists in our sport that resist and deny change.

Bingo!!

02-23-15 09:04AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nicecontroleasy
[B
I don't know what the answers are but what has been done before is not good enough anymore. Some of the problems have been caused by the many traditionalists in our sport that resist and deny change. [/B]

My point exactly, they complain about numbers being down but resist any changes yet offer no solutions of their own.

02-23-15 09:56AM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:

My point exactly, they complain about numbers being down but resist any changes yet offer no solutions of their own.

I have heard this quote many times but I guess I really don't understand it.

We have a good produce that is marketable to a huge public base. Curling is suitable to pretty much all age groups. It is not high impact or high endurance so even the not so fit can enjoy.

So to me the solution is right in front of our faces...marketing! You got to sell it!

Certainly marketing methods are not my expertise, but that expertise is out there for sale. OCA even has a marketing fund...that they never spend! Marketing curling should be the biggest priority of Provincial Curling Associations yet it is hardly mentioned! To my knowledge they don't even have a marketing committee. If you have ever worked in research you quickly learn that good ideas are everywhere, the challenge and cost is getting new products to market.

02-23-15 11:54AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Good points. My husband is a very good curler and on his men's league night he curls with a bunch of kneesliders. They lose more than they win. I asked him why he sticks with them. His response was "nobody else will skip them and they might leave the club and curling".

I see this in a lot of teams - 4 skips playing together on league nights while a bunch of knee sliders band together and lose every game. The good curlers don't seem to want to play with the novice curlers. We at the club level need to start encouraging all our members to play together. If you are competitive, go on bonspiels, join/start a major league, enter playdowns with like minded curlers. Sometimes the oldtimers make no effort to welcome new members and instead gripe about their lack of curling skills. This is what is hurting the game.

And yes, Provincial Associations & the CCA need to be more proactive when it comes to helping save rinks from closing.

02-23-15 02:46PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

There isn't a magic pill that's going to correct the downward trend of curling in a year. Someone has to lobby the gov't to create space for the game, then introduce it elementary school and secondary school. Kids in toronto get 2 hours a week sometime on a sunday. That's a huge problem. Kids that are good have no weekly avenue to play as there are no leagues and the crumpy old men would rather play with 3 then let a talented kid on the ice---laughable. Add the stupid layer of 'qualified' coaching to the miz and what do you get? You get 30-50 little rockers that can be parlayed into more than a single competitive bantam team. The vast majority of kids playing the game today which will be playing the game tomorrow are kids from curling families. ANd that's the problem. And such a pity as it's a great game/sport and a wonderful way to spend time with your growing children.

02-23-15 03:03PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Remember when only amateurs could complete in the Olympics?

02-23-15 04:50PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
Remember when only amateurs could complete in the Olympics?

Remember when a woman's place was barefoot and in the kitchen? Thankfully the world has changed.

02-23-15 07:40PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by bennybeam
There isn't a magic pill that's going to correct the downward trend of curling in a year. Someone has to lobby the gov't to create space for the game, then introduce it elementary school and secondary school. Kids in toronto get 2 hours a week sometime on a sunday. That's a huge problem. Kids that are good have no weekly avenue to play as there are no leagues and the crumpy old men would rather play with 3 then let a talented kid on the ice---laughable. Add the stupid layer of 'qualified' coaching to the miz and what do you get? You get 30-50 little rockers that can be parlayed into more than a single competitive bantam team. The vast majority of kids playing the game today which will be playing the game tomorrow are kids from curling families. ANd that's the problem. And such a pity as it's a great game/sport and a wonderful way to spend time with your growing children.

Well this year this old man wanted to put a 15 year old bantam girl on his mixed competitive team as a lead. It was a Sunday morning 10:00 am start time. Her parents agreed to bring her but the league kicked up a fuss and changed the rules to prohibit anyone under 18 from playing....this is a Sunday morning!! How do we expect to get the kids involved with this kind of attitude!

As to the coaching, this CAC crap is even making it tough to get hockey coaches in the rec leagues. All I can say is mind less kingdom building.

02-24-15 09:44AM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

Good for you and if more people had your mindset, the future of the game would be in good hands. Unfortunately you're in the minority. And with just about all city of toronto rinks being leased and ran by the members themselves, it's only going to get worse.

02-24-15 11:15AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Well this year this old man wanted to put a 15 year old bantam girl on his mixed competitive team as a lead. It was a Sunday morning 10:00 am start time. Her parents agreed to bring her but the league kicked up a fuss and changed the rules to prohibit anyone under 18 from playing....this is a Sunday morning!! How do we expect to get the kids involved with this kind of attitude!

As to the coaching, this CAC crap is even making it tough to get hockey coaches in the rec leagues. All I can say is mind less kingdom building.

This has happened at my club, a 16 yo wanted to curl Business Women and while we allowed it, the grumbling that went on really discouraged the poor girl. Now she has moved on to another club. The old crumblies need to understand that welcoming youth into the leagues is saving curling, not hurting curling.

02-24-15 11:50AM
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

At our club, whenever a certain team gets the late draw, they call the other team and move the game up as there is always an empty sheet for those teams (they play C-D and are two teams short thus an extra sheet during their draw time). Guess how that impacts the teenagers who try to book a spare sheet--which incidentally is the only one available Mon-Fri. Unless you want to keep your teenager up until 9:00 to get on the ice then your out of luck. And when pressed for an answer--the club manager--her buddy---sides with her. Folks, after five years and 3 clubs I can tell you first-hand that youth curling in toronto is in dire straits.

02-24-15 11:55AM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

My daughter's competitive Bantam team has been welcomed with open arms into the Richmond Hill curling club's open league, along with a few other young players.

It would sure help the declining membership numbers if more clubs would consider accepting younger members.

02-24-15 12:15PM
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

That's great Marc--kudo's to the good and decent people of RH. Another tidbit---leaside has 8 sheets of ice. But get this---after school only 4 are available and are often booked. The other 4--well--they sit empty. When pressed for a logical answer--I'm told the icemaker needs 3.5 hours to get them ready for the early draw that starts at 7. Again, 5 years ago my son picked up this sport and I'm stunned how dysfunctional those that run the show are. Luckily, I only have a couple years left of juggling 5 club memberships and local GTA traffic to get my kid some ice time.