Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > What does it take for Manitoba to get streaming events

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-10-16 12:13PM
Lovemycurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovemycurling Click here to Send Lovemycurling a Private Message Find more posts by Lovemycurling Add Lovemycurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

What does it take for Manitoba to get streaming events

Manitoba has so many good teams coming out of the province and it is like everything else in Manitoba - home businesses, approval of products, Manitoba is always the last on the bandwagon. If I was where I could go to the events, I would love to, but I can't. It is so sad to see that all these teams are playing their hearts out to win for our province and country and yet, they don't even seem to warrant live streaming or television coverage from the beginning of an event so we can at least cheer them on and follow them. Scores are nice but action would be so much better and get our teams out there for people to see and known. I think it would bring more people out to events, not be detrimental. Look at the events that have full houses for the finals lately. Even in smaller towns.

If I were in a financial position to do something, I would definitely want to. it's time we stopped procrastinating and got something going here. What about schools or training programs who need training for TV productions? What about someone who has a passion just to do it. I realize it takes volunteers, but it just seems like we are falling behind in things here.

There are several sources out there now; Bell TV; YouTube; why not our own You Tube feed? Come on Manitoba. Get out of our frozen zone and into some support and action.

I am sitting here today watching US curling because they are good broadcasts and games and no Canadian options are available.

What do we have to do????

Let's get some ideas going here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-10-16 12:40PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Well, not too long ago, there was a time when all of the major curling provinces live streamed it's Scotties and Tankards on an open channel...even if it was a "mom and pop" telecast (round robin) before the big boys (Global/Rogers) took over.

Now that Rogers has bought the rights to the "Big 4" (ONT, MAN, ALB, BC), you really don't get that much except for the smaller curling provinces (QE, NS) and one bigger one (SASK). I wonder how long before SASK gets tempted to sell off its rights to an exclusive distributer and shuts off it's live streaming.

To add insult to injury, many Canadian curling live streams are now "geo-blocked" meaning I need a Canadian IP address or I get nothing. TSN pioneered live streaming for curling now they've retrograded into a series of "no, no and no". Do they even live stream curling anymore???? Last I heard, TSN just sluffs off a delayed feed to both Curl Canada (which ends up on YouTube 1-2 days later) and ESNP3 (live and archived....but only to US IP addresses).

The curling internet's "wild west paradise" had been paved into a parking lot.

Last edited by AK267 on 02-10-16 at 05:55PM

02-10-16 02:08PM
Lovemycurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovemycurling Click here to Send Lovemycurling a Private Message Find more posts by Lovemycurling Add Lovemycurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

Curling streaming

Rogers is a joke. I have my Rogers TV and am supposed to be able to get several things on it, and most of what they show is hockey, which I can get on 12 channels on my TV. On the weekend, I believe it was TSN but could have been Sportsnet, I got curling - - - - whoo hooooo - replays of last week's finals and skins.

I am so fed up of replays of sports for what I pay for my satellite. I have phoned Rogers. I have emailed Sportsnet, TSN and phoned my cable company. I even asked Sportsnet if they were so broke all they could afford was 50 replays of the same stupid misplays and stupid comments like """""I'm just here so I don't get fired crap******* over and over and over.

I think it is time we went to the CRTC or something if they are blocking us getting our programs. I don't pay to watch reruns. I have a VCR or DVD player that I would much prefer to watch replays of old movies and Bob Hope shows than any of the sickening crap on 6 stations that they play.

If they can play reruns, then they can play live. If not they shouldn't be in the broadcast business.

The curling clubs should go after them if they sold the rights and get the full event played not just the last 4 games. It is like everyone is being made into robots by these multi-million dollar companies and when does it end???? Why would a group sell the rights and not get the full event exposure?

Something has to change and I don't know who we have to report it to, but it is like cancer. The big pharmaceutical companies buy up the cures - and there are many - so we have to pay big bucks trying to be cured for something that costs pennies to make that they steal the rights so we lose people from the disease. These big TV companies are becoming diseases that need to be halted. If we aren't careful we will be in a third world country an have no rights at all.

I have done all I can as one person to push curling and baseball. I post on Twitter about it. I post on Facebook. I write the companies. But the squeaky wheel gets the grease and you all have cell phones so how about being another squeeky wheel and complain. These people are playing curling as a legitimate sport and job. They should be accommodated as such. And I a not a wife of anyone or a mother of a curler, but I am a fan who pays high money to watch sports and can't get anything but English soccer, darts, and poker. Sports???? Corrupt soccer? I don't know. Canada is slipping away to whatever these companies decide what the can play the cheapest.

Last edited by Lovemycurling on 02-10-16 at 02:12PM

02-10-16 02:24PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Sportsnet played their Provincial semifinal and finals live. Sorry you didn't realize until it was over. If you subscribe to The Curling News, they have a TV Guide for the sport and we also list the schedule here under the Watch Curling section.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-10-16 04:57PM
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

Yes, I follow it, but the date was also on the feed and it was one I had already seen. I have every schedule

02-10-16 05:23PM
Gold Donny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gold Donny Click here to Send Gold Donny a Private Message Find more posts by Gold Donny Add Gold Donny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gold Donny
Knee-Slider

I'm not sure Rogers has anything to do with the decision not to stream the qualifying draws. Neepawa public access streamed several draws when the spiel was held there and then bowed out to Sportsnet come playoff time. I think there just isn't anyone stepping up to offer their services in Winnipeg and now Selkirk. Maybe it's more complicated than that but I don't think Rogers would prevent streaming of the draws that they won't be broadcasting anyway.

02-10-16 10:18PM
shirleyc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shirleyc Click here to Send shirleyc a Private Message Find more posts by shirleyc Add shirleyc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shirleyc
Harvey Hacksmasher

manitoba viterra championship

I agree. I would love to see steaming of the Mb Viterra Championship. I have enjoyed watching Sask. and the U.S. Nationals. Also does anyone know why Shaw isn't showing any Mb curling games? I always enjoyed them with Cathie Gauthier and the reason I stayed with Shaw. Would love a response to this question.

02-11-16 09:55AM
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

Streaming, Manitoba

I have Shaw Satellite and have been told they carry what is on the channels.

I think it is time that curling had its own channel like way back in the beginning when there was Channel 9 with more local things on it. I realize that it can cost, but streaming shouldn't be a big contender against TV. Most people watch TV if it is available, but streaming for a person who is confined and just can't go, isn't going to take money away, because that person wouldn't be attending live anyway.

Neepawa used to do a good job. I contacted them on several occasions asking them to advance to do other venues, but being all volunteers, one can't expect them to foot the bill all the time either. I used to watch it a lot when they streamed.

But, that being said, I am sure someone could use the experience if they got off their cellphones long enough to know the world around them is still alive and not in their hands. It would also put the events out there because people would know where they were. I just checked the TSN schedule. Do you know how many times they show the program Sports Centre? Well take part of that Sports Centre and broadcast live events instead of the same thing hour after hour. We need some journalists on these channels to get excited over writing about curling (like they do about hockey) and focusing on broadcasting curling results. I am glad that the crew that has been broadcasting every big event still is into it. I enjoy listening to them. I have learned a lot about curling by watching their broadcasts, Vic Rauter, Russ Howard, Joan, Cheryl, Kevin, Kathy and those that have jumped in to be there when it has been put on streaming or TV. For that I thank them. Hope I didn't miss anyone. Steve Laycock had even a channel that was broadcasting streaming and when they stream I get notified actually by email at times. Bell TV has livestream.

Last edited by Lovemycurling on 02-11-16 at 06:51PM

02-11-16 10:06AM
shirleyc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shirleyc Click here to Send shirleyc a Private Message Find more posts by shirleyc Add shirleyc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shirleyc
Harvey Hacksmasher

manitoba streaming events

Lovemycurling,

It's Steve Laycock from Sask. They stream every game they play in. It is awesome and I watch as much as I can. The coach sets up the camera and they are mic'd. And congratulations to him and his team for winning their provincials.

02-12-16 02:47PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

While we're ranting on about the cable and satellite TV providers, I'll post this informative link entitled: What your Cable Bill Pays For:

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/wha...bill-pays-52350

I particularly like the "$110.00: Norwegian Curling Season Pass access (non-optional)" line item.

02-12-16 03:02PM
Posada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Posada Click here to Send Posada a Private Message Visit Posada's homepage! Find more posts by Posada Add Posada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Posada
Swing Artist

Re: What does it take for Manitoba to get streaming events

quote:
Originally posted by Lovemycurling
What do we have to do????
Let's get some ideas going here.

It's simple. Lobby CurlManitoba to provide viewing options for games leading up to their contracted TV playoff coverage (Sportsnet).

How to lobby? There are various methods you could employ, but you're going to need a lot of participants to make an impact. You'll need to get organized and get out there and cause a fuss.

If you're willing to do that, you just might get somewhere. Because most curling fans are content to whine on a message board and/or send a single email message... and hope that situations change themselves.

02-12-16 05:55PM
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

Hey gang. SN broadcasting this weekend

http://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/pro...dule-sportsnet/

Date Province Draw Eastern Time Pacific Time Channel

Feb. 13 Manitoba Page Playoff 7 p.m. 4 p.m. Sportsnet ONE
Feb. 14 Manitoba Semifinal 10 a.m. 7 a.m. Sportsnet East, Ontario, West & Pacific
Feb. 14 Alberta Semifinal 11:30 a.m. 8:30 a.m. Sportsnet ONE
Feb. 14 B.C. Semifinal 2 p.m. 11 a.m. Sportsnet Pacific
Feb. 14 Manitoba Final 3 p.m. Noon Sportsnet East, Ontario & West
Feb. 14 Alberta Final 4 p.m. 1 p.m. Sportsnet ONE
Feb. 14 B.C. Final 7 p.m. 4 p.m. Sportsnet 360
Note: TV schedule subject to change.

The squeaky wheel got the grease. Yahoo. Enjoy

02-12-16 06:47PM
Posada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Posada Click here to Send Posada a Private Message Visit Posada's homepage! Find more posts by Posada Add Posada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Posada
Swing Artist

Re: Hey gang. SN broadcasting this weekend

quote:
Originally posted by Lovemycurling
The squeaky wheel got the grease. Yahoo. Enjoy

Glad you're happy to find the playoff coverage listings - but does that mean you've forgotten about your post that started this thread?

If you don't complain to the association about pre-playoff coverage, then you'll continue to never have it...

02-12-16 07:02PM
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

MB broadcasting

No, haven't at all. At least I now have a crack in the door opening. I am 74 years old. My father watched curling in the late 50s. That is how long I have had curling in my life. If I can help curling get the attention it deserves as a Canadian, clean, sport, I will keep fighting for it. I think the players are doing their part. They are working hard, keeping in shape, eating right, and someone has to be on the other side, helping them get the attention they deserve and work so hard for and sponsorships that they earn.

02-12-16 07:16PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Have we not had the final weekend games televised in past years? So what is different this year?

02-12-16 08:10PM
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Have we not had the final weekend games televised in past years? So what is different this year?

No. Only in big events were we even getting weekend television. It is only in the last ocuple of years that it has been a lot better

02-13-16 12:13PM
curler bill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler bill Click here to Send curler bill a Private Message Find more posts by curler bill Add curler bill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler bill
Harvey Hacksmasher

Live streaming does not require a cable company or tv network.

Curlingzone (Gerry) provides a great service!

I also believe there should be someone tech savvy enough within Curl Manitoba to share the games with us.

Alberta and BC are also without coverage. Sad.

02-13-16 09:07PM
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

There is TV programming on SN this weekend

Same one shown on here is on SN one. I am sure Curling Zone will play whatever they can have access too. Also, I believe Alberta and BC are also being shown along with the Manitoba Final. SN one, 3 and 4 I believe it is. I posted the schedule somewhere but I can't see it right now on here. Go on Sportsnet, look under curling the schedule. IT will be all day tomorrow pretty well. Nice to hear Jeff Stoughton commenting along with Rob Foltz.

Last edited by Lovemycurling on 02-13-16 at 09:10PM

02-13-16 09:10PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

schedue

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...dule-sportsnet/

02-13-16 11:00PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay

Years ago, the ON, MB, AB & BC championships (tankards and Scotties) had their games (from round robin to finals) live streamed on an open internet channel for all to see (even international). Now the rights are "locked up" with exclusive distributors. For someone like me (USA) or to someone in Canada (who doesn't have a certain cable/dish access), they are essentially locked out.

The only 'open' opportunities to watch provincial championships on the net are smaller curling provinces and Sask.