Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-25-16 11:10PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by SkipsWhoSayNi
No one is arguing, about the depth of the Women's field. You blamed the process. The men use the same process, so why doesn't that same program negatively affect them?

My guess is that there's just a larger pool of competitive curlers on the men's side. It's possible the men's pool won't ever be effected in the same way as the women's has, or that the women are the canary in the coal mine that are warning of long term problems with interest in the National Championships.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-25-16 11:59PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

So Jimbo, did you ever follow the Brier on the radio? I can remember sitting at a table and placing checkers on a curling house that I had drawn on paper. Wish I could remember who was playing but I am old so...

No, but the Brier used to be covered on the CBC-there was no playoff, the first place team won. The CBC would only show the final draw on Saturday-often the game would mean nothing.

The CBC also had curling shows during the season, including "Cross Canada Curling" and "CBC Championship Curling".

Many people know the late Don Chevrier as Canada's (and later the US's) "Voice of Curling". He also called the first Toronto Blue Jay game in the snow at CNE...

BUT

He wasn't the CBC's first voice of curling. His predecessor was a fellow named Trebek. Among the other voices were Don Duguid (who joined Chevvy at NBC) and Johnny Wayne (as in Wayne & Shuster).

01-28-16 10:14PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The draw is up. Time to start posting your bets.

It's also time for all of us to start lobbying the TESN guys for the games we want to be featured. I have their cell numbers if any of you want them.

Good luck with the lobbying. The Godfather and Badass are still sticking to their "feature the center sheet until everybody has had one game featured on the webcast". That will get us through Tuesday afternoon. I realize that we may outgrow that someday soon and feature the most interesting games to get the largest audience, but for now I like it.

(I figure if Gemmell can use the word "badass" in the title of his sweeping book, I can use Anderson's full nickname when I post...I used to get into SO much trouble when I'd use the word "ass" on the webcast)

16 draws this year (instead of the usual 18) because of the short Women's field. Joey C, Badass Anderson and The Punk get off pretty easy. Only two 8am draws. The icemen are going to get fat and lazy. You have to work ice makers hard or they get uppity and surly.

I know that we are Americans and prefer to watch the web stream while at work, but the Sunday match ups are really good. Junior girls v Nina and Junior girls v Jamie...Brady v Heater and Pete v Face and Brownie v Boo Boo. Really good Sunday stuff. Only parts of the Super Bowl I'm going to watch are the commercials.

Ben Tucker

02-02-16 09:26AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I've been too distracted by the Men's Nationals thread. I've been too distracted by Face Team's almost historical season to date.

Team Erika Brown has also reached the stratosphere in the World Curling Tour Order Of Merit on the Year To Date standings.

7 events and 7 cashes. All of them quality events. They won the Stu Sells. Extremely impressive 2nd at the Dekalb (which I didn't go watch and I regret that...stuff came up).

They are a SLAM quality team. They are doing it on their own dime

I was shamed into a return to posting on curlingzone because it has been a fantastic year with some great USA teams doing great things seemingly unnoticed. This is a great team doing great things. Top 20 YTD is no small thing on your own dime. Only 1 of their 7 events was in the USA. Cashing...every...single...time. 100 YTD points is very good. They have 189 so far.

Ben Tucker

02-02-16 11:50AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

May 6, 2015-Thread "So who got invites to the Combines?"

"So I see on social media Erika Brown has a new team consisting of:

Erika
Allison P.
Nicole J.
Natalie N.

I assume that most of Erika's team from last year are in the HP program at the moment.

In my opinion this team will be the favorite no matter what comes out of HP, any takes on an early wager" - Biterbar

Tuck will never give me any credit for being right even though I am spot on most of the time.

I was wrong about the rest of Erika's national champs making the HP, but that is another issue.

02-02-16 12:55PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I saw Erika's team put on an impressive display in Toronto...although Jen & Rachel weren't there. I still think that they're the team to beat on the women's side down in Florida.
But (with no disrespect intended), Erika and her rink aren't getting any younger-are there any promising rinks coming out of Junior (both men & women)?
I've said it many times before-the sport will have trouble getting to the next level until American rinks start winning World Championships.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 02-02-16 at 03:57PM

02-02-16 02:06PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Team Erika Brown has also reached the stratosphere in the World Curling Tour Order Of Merit on the Year To Date standings.

7 events and 7 cashes. All of them quality events. They won the Stu Sells. Extremely impressive 2nd at the Dekalb (which I didn't go watch and I regret that...stuff came up).

They are a SLAM quality team. They are doing it on their own dime

For anyone interested (since Gerrys site does not sort easily) here is the Womens YTD OOM list. Erika at 13 is in pretty good company
1 Rachel Homan (Ontario) 583.709
2 Jennifer Jones (Manitoba) 359.989
3 Val Sweeting (Alberta) 340.661
4 S. Tirinzoni (Switzerland) 321.021
5 Anna Sidorova (Russia) 290.022
6 Chelsea Carey (Alberta) 254.505
7 Eve Muirhead (Scotland) 236.215
8 Tracy Fleury (N.Ontario) 224.758
9 Kelsey Rocque (Alberta) 218.735
10 Kerri Einarson (Manitoba) 214.271
11 Alina Paetz (Switzerland) 207.478
12 EunJung Kim (Korea) 205.781
13 Erika Brown (Wisconsin) 189.175

34 Jamie Sinclair (United States) 86.962
43 C. Christensen (Minnesota) 77.17
51 Nina Roth (United States) 68.091

02-02-16 02:32PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

So year to date that puts the USA the 6th ranked country on OOM behind:

1) One of 7 Canadian teams
2) Switzerland (2)
3) Sidorova of Russia
4) Muirhead of Scotland
5) Kim of Korea

Still a tough medal stand to break into.

Cory Christensen and her team are up and comers, the most likely heir apparent. There is a lot of talented gals 18-28 who need the right teammates and coaching to bring out their full potential.

And a curling association with a plan to keep them interested in curling before "life" supersedes it.

02-02-16 05:27PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
This is a great team doing great things.

Yeah, it is!

Hope they have a great run in Jacksonville and that the other teams play well and give them all they can handle.

02-02-16 06:39PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

There needs to some caveats added to all other non-Canadian teams in the standings. ALL of them have gotten over half their points outside of Canada. ALL of them have played more events than Brown-Tetley.

It's helpful to scoop up Euro Points and Asian Points (much more so in Men's than in Women's...but still an advantage). It's also helpful to count your top events when you are taking your 8 counters out of 12 weekends (Paetz, but others are the same) rather than taking your 8 counting events out of only 7 weekends (Brown).

So: Yes, other nations are doing well in the YTD OOM standing. Yes, those are good teams and not an easy podium to own. However, there is more underneath the number if you take the time to look. Points Per Outing, our gals are kicking butt. Points only accrued in Canada, our girls are kicking butt.

I'm not trying to start an argument because none exists. We all think this is a very good team. I'm not disagreeing with any of the previous posts. They are all factually correct and insightful. I'm just trying to be even more insightful and suggest that, if you look where the numbers come from, our girls really, really, really rock.

I mean: Seriously? You're allowed to count your top 8 events and Brown sits inside the sweet sixteen with only 7 events entered? That is insanely good.

It makes it tough for me. Next I'm going to tell you that they won't win Nationals.

Ben Tucker

02-03-16 08:37AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

is asked earlier but in a poorly worded way

is it mathematically possible for any of these teams to win the nationals and overtake shuster/brown and actually go to worlds?

if so what teams can still got to worlds?i imagine brown and shuster would both have to miss playoffs alltogether

02-03-16 09:38AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

On the men's side, if Shuster is on the podium then they go to worlds. If Shuster misses and C. Brown makes the podium then C. Brown goes to worlds. If both Shuster and C. Brown miss the podium then the National Champion goes to worlds.

On the women's side, if E. Brown is on the podium then they go to worlds. If E. Brown misses the podium then basically the highest finisher of Sinclair, Christensen or Roth goes to worlds. There's a small chance that Meechai, Anderson or Lindgren can go to worlds. If those three teams make up the medal stand then the National Champion goes to worlds.

02-03-16 09:41AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by MCC_PE
On the men's side, if Shuster is on the podium then they go to worlds. If Shuster misses and C. Brown makes the podium then C. Brown goes to worlds. If both Shuster and C. Brown miss the podium then the National Champion goes to worlds.

On the women's side, if E. Brown is on the podium then they go to worlds. If E. Brown misses the podium then basically the highest finisher of Sinclair, Christensen or Roth goes to worlds. There's a small chance that Meechai, Anderson or Lindgren can go to worlds. If those three teams make up the medal stand then the National Champion goes to worlds.

okay,thank you.

02-03-16 01:38PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Now for the hard part:

I've suggested that Team Brown-Tetley is extremely good (cash every time, very high on the WCT OOM YTD despite only playing 7 events while most of those teams have played a dozen). They will, obviously, make the medal stand. They will, obviously, go to Worlds. I think they will do extremely well at Worlds. Homan already lost out in her provence. A couple of more upsets and we're looking at a great chance to medal.

So I'm a huge fan. I've been paying attention. I know they are great. So great that Biterbar will try to claim that they are a Wisconsin team. JHcurl might even try to find an East coast connection. They are, obviously, the most likely winner in Jacksonville.

That being said, I don't think they are going to win Nationals.

This HPP Junior team is a rare collection of talent. Each player draws very well. Each player hits extremely well. Reading ice is no longer a major issue. Strategy is not an issue now that they communicate so well (and they communicate very well...wait until TESN mics them up). This is a team that is just now reaching their stride. They are just now turning talent into results; potential into wins.

I know that Christensen has had good teams before. I know she's won events before. I know that her year-to-date isn't much better than previous years. But I also know what I saw. This team is jelling. This team isn't afraid to get aggressive. This team isn't afraid to play the entire end in the four foot. This team will let the opposition be shotrock for awhile to set things up.

If the Junior team goes to Florida with the attitude and plan to relax while prepping for Junior Worlds, I still think they get bronze. If they go to Florida with the attitude that it is a personal challenge, I don't think anybody can stand in their way. Erika could, but after making the playoffs and securing her spot at Worlds, I don't think she will.

I could be wrong, but at 3 to 1 I'd bet I'm right. I think we have 2 great teams going to Florida and 3 pretty dang good teams (Lindgren is underrated) and 2 good teams. Bet Brown at short-odds even money if you must, but don't bet the rent money.

Ben Tucker

02-08-16 01:44AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

7 teams and 4 make the playoffs! 4th team in playoffs will be lucky to have a .500 record. E Brown has pretty much already punched her ticket to worlds. Now this is an exciting championship!!

02-08-16 08:35AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
E Brown has pretty much already punched her ticket to worlds. Now this is an exciting championship!!

Yes, probably true. Although order will be interesting. E. Brown's next 3 matches will be the toughest, against the HPP teams.

I'm still putting my money on her for winning nationals.

02-08-16 02:45PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I must say I was a little surprised by the score of her game against Jamie (another bit of maple syrup in the blood!).

02-08-16 03:13PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

HUGE game tomorrow (Roth v Brown)! Should Nina win, it would most likely put Erika in the Page 3v4 game and (potentially) keep them off the medal podium. Team Brown would have to lose tomorrow's game AND the Page 3v4, but it would most likely make the Finals into a Winner Goes To Worlds game.

While I dislike the Points system, I find myself not cheering for that scenario. At least, I don't find myself cheering against Brown. They've been too good all year. In recent years, I'd be thrilled for the hope that the last game meant more. Maybe it's not only because they've been so very good all year. Maybe it's also that they formed their own team and curled on their own dime. Or maybe I'm just really hopeful of a Women's World medal this year and have talked myself into believing they are our best chance. That would be odd considering the show that Sinclair is putting on so far.

Ben Tucker (poor tortured brain is cheering for everybody)

02-09-16 05:20PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Top 4 is set, now it is just a matter of who gets into the 1-2 game. Sinclair, Roth, Brown, Christensen all in. I think if Brown and Sinclair win their last it would be a 3 way tie for the top with Roth. I think all three are 1-1 against each other so would come down DSC for the 1-2 game.

02-09-16 05:50PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

How dull... Top 4 already set...

Yes, USCA/HPP, this is EXACTLY the way to improve women's competitive curling in the USA. Such brilliance...

02-09-16 11:34PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Top 4 was set before this event started. As I posted elsewhere, with only 7 teams competing the playoffs should have been limited to 3 teams. That way the event might have generated at least a little bit of excitement and suspense.

02-10-16 09:10AM
SkipsWhoSayNi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkipsWhoSayNi Find more posts by SkipsWhoSayNi Add SkipsWhoSayNi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkipsWhoSayNi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ok, so now it's down to four teams. Let the intrigue begin.

02-10-16 10:30AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I think we're being a little bit harsh here. This isn't the first time that Women's ended up being Sign Up And Go; that's happened a couple of times before. Nor is it the first time that Women's Nationals has been dominated by a Big Three or Big Four. That's been then norm for the many years I've been watching.

True, the depth of USA Women's had been taking big steps forward and that was really exciting for me. The depth is still there, we just need to add back in that list of names of missing players earlier in this thread.

I think that's were the real pain originates. As fans, we know that this could have been much more exciting and has been in the recent past.

My hope is that we see more teams competing and at a high level. If (like the Points To Worlds policy) the Olympic Trials entry paths are near impossible, I fear really good curlers will not elect to even try to be the Olympic team. That would be a horrible failure in the longterm and, possibly, even in the shortterm.

Ben Tucker

02-10-16 06:46PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Page playoffs set, as all of you probably know by now. Sinclair draws the short straw and is relegated to the Page 3v4 by DSChallenge measurements.

This insures that Team Erika Brown-Tetley will now be our Team USA for Women's Worlds. Congratulations. You went on your own dime and did very well in every event; including this one. Good luck in the playoffs and the very best of luck at Worlds.

It is not truthful nor accurate to say that our World's representative was chosen by the DSC total. That presumes they would have lost the Page 3v4. Regardless of the playoff outcome, this team took the rules as written and excelled and earned their way to Worlds. I believe that, once there, they will have a deep sense of "unfinished business" and do very, very well.

Still, it would be nice if they would kindly win one or two more games so all of us feel great about them going. I already do, but some dislike the Points thing worse than a vodka/pickle juice cocktail served warm.

For the playoffs: I'm not backing off on my Juniors prediction. I believe the Christensen team can turn the tables on the three teams that beat them in the round robin and win this thing. That being said, the Sinclair team has impressed me most during the week. I like how Tabs Peterson has gotten her shoulders lower this year. They still aren't quite as low as when she was a stellar junior, but gone is the arched back and very high shoulders. I like how Lil Miss Hammy is playing and how insightful her strategic comments have been. I especially like how she looks for a Plan B instantly when she knows the weight of the throw is really bad.

So I'm not sure who is going to win this thing. Brown remains the obvious choice, but Worlds can prove to be an awful distraction. Sinclair pretty much dominated every game except the competitive loss to Roth. I think the loser of the Page 1v2 is going to run into a buzz saw when they face the momentum of the Page 3v4 winner in the True Semi. That momentum might keep going right into the Final.

As a sidenote: LOTS of things are now determined by the DSC. A team can miss qualifying for for a major spiel and all the points that come with that just on DSC. Worlds with the "one round for tiebreakers only" rule lean heavily on the DSC. It comes with round robin play.

Ben Tucker

02-10-16 10:58PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Playoffs have not started and we know that team Brown is going to the Worlds. Nothing quite as exciting as a National Championship with nothing on the line.