Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-17-14 08:34PM
Bubba12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bubba12 Click here to Send Bubba12 a Private Message Find more posts by Bubba12 Add Bubba12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bubba12
Knee-Slider

Competative Club Curler Question

Here I am as a competative club curler, trying to figure out what direction to go.

Do I continue to play with my club team enjoying decent interclub success, and piece together OCA teams from within the club and hope for some success at the zone, and TCA Goldline level. Or, do I try to put together a team from within the club that can compete for the Travelers Club championship,Goldline, and potentially some success at the OCA Zone/Regional level.

To put together a team to qualify and compete for the Travelers and Goldline Championships,I would be putting together four skips/vices from our club's A Division.I believe they are all in a similar position to me, in that we enjoy playing with our club teams, but would have to walk away from them to succeed at a higher level. Also, we care about our club and it's members and teammates, and know this would probably eliminate at least two teams from the club, and leave the remaining players scrambling to find skips and put together teams.

What would you do?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-17-14 09:46PM
recboy_131 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for recboy_131 Click here to Send recboy_131 a Private Message Find more posts by recboy_131 Add recboy_131 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
recboy_131
Hitting Paint

The way I would look at it is what's your main goal? Is it to play some enjoyable curling win or lose, or is winning more the goal?
Your concern with how your membership may react is valid, breaking up teams to try and form stronger teams always has a downside. By taking away some skips and vices you leave front end players to move up or find a new backend to play for.
In the short term it will hurt but by doing this will it not foster players to step up and play better to become that skip or vice they didn't think they could be?.
As well you never know if the other skips have been thinking the same thing as yourself. The desire to improve, play better, and to compete are all qualities in any competitive player, and they will all understand your reasoning for trying to get better.
The balance between social curling and competitive curling is always the toughest to manage.

As for what I would do, I would go for it. Push yourself to achieve the goals your want to achieve. you will regret it if your don't and never get the chance later.

hope this helps, just my two cents.

steve

10-18-14 02:43AM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

You see it happen with a lot of the competitive teams when they play in club leagues, where they split up and play with other players to not become too dominant within the club leagues.

The opposite could work in your situation, where you could pickup and play something like the Toronto or Oshawa Major Leagues with these players, and add a couple entry level events on the Ontario Curling Tour.

Everyone can continue playing in-club with your existing teams, and then expand your game though weekly competition in the Major Leagues and on Tour.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

10-18-14 05:27PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bubba12

Thank you for your responses.

Gerry, the problem with your suggestion is the additional time commitment. I already play 2 nights a week, Men's, and Mixed with my wife. Add in another 1 to 3 weekends a month with club spiels and OCA events, and I don't have the time to play in a major league, and OCT events, with other life commitments.

I know I'm not going to play in a brier, but would like a chance of success at the competative club level events out there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.71.74.130

10-18-14 06:03PM
recboy_131 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for recboy_131 Click here to Send recboy_131 a Private Message Find more posts by recboy_131 Add recboy_131 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
recboy_131
Hitting Paint

bubba 12,

what about just cutting back some of the club speils you play in and sub in a few "B" level OCT events. The tour has a lot of great events that don't take up a whole weekend ( as in more then just sat/sun) and are very affordable in comparison to the pay outs and things included. just plan them around you clubs area, that way you can drive to the events and not have hotel costs.
I can attest to the tour being a great stepping stone. I have played it for years, have made many friends and had some great games that made me want to do more.
Take that big step and you will never regret it.

steve

10-19-14 01:56AM
rock_star is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rock_star Click here to Send rock_star a Private Message Find more posts by rock_star Add rock_star to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rock_star
Swing Artist

This is an interesting topic.

I think you need to thing about your goals, not only on the ice, but what you expect to get out of the game in general.

If your goal is only to win games, then approach the game in that way. But if you are looking for a social outlet, know that there are friendships that can be made and sustained through the game of curling that will reward you far more than any wins or losses.

10-19-14 09:41AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Often, when people are sitting in their rocking chair at age 90, the biggest regret is not trying! Follow your dreams.