Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Is your club adopting FGZ-5?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-08-17 12:44PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Is your club adopting FGZ-5?

So...I know...we still have the Roar, US Trials, World's, most of the Grand Slams, and a bunch of other curling to come...but...it's coming soon...so now is as good a time to ponder on it as any...

Is your club moving to adopt the 5-rock FGZ for League Play?

Are you adopting different standards for "Casual" leagues vs "Competitive" ones?

Do you think it will have a positive/negative effect on the Recreational Game?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-08-17 01:07PM
Burned_Broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Burned_Broom Click here to Send Burned_Broom a Private Message Find more posts by Burned_Broom Add Burned_Broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Burned_Broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't know if my club will adopt the new rules or not but I think it should be universal if they do and not picking only the competitive leagues to adopt the rule.

I would like to see it happen but I don't think it will have a great impact on recreational play(so neither positive or negative).

11-14-17 04:44PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Unless for some odd reason the USCA does not adopt the official WCF rules for 2018-2019, I don't see why the 5-rock rule will not be universal next season in the USA. There is no rational reason not to play by the rules of the national governing body, except for a special event. The change is already baked in at the WCF level. The change to the 5-rock rule is already ensconced in Rule 6.b effective October 1, 2018.

For many club curlers, I think the rule change will have minimal effect on the way games are played. (Peeling open the center or running guards seems uncommon in many club games.) For more advanced curlers, strategy will change significantly with this rule, probably resulting in more offensive-minded games.

11-15-17 11:03AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

For many club curlers, I think the rule change will have minimal effect on the way games are played. (Peeling open the center or running guards seems uncommon in many club games.)

I'm not as sure I concur with you on *this* piece of the puzzle.

It does, certainly, depend on the level of the league game, but I've been seeing a lot more "Okay, let's clean up the front" shots being called for 2nds than I used to...not as many as *should* be called,probably (and I'm as guilty as the next guy...) but more.

11-15-17 02:50PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

I'm not as sure I concur with you on *this* piece of the puzzle.

It does, certainly, depend on the level of the league game, but I've been seeing a lot more "Okay, let's clean up the front" shots being called for 2nds than I used to...not as many as *should* be called,probably (and I'm as guilty as the next guy...) but more.

Probably depends on the experience and skill of your membership. At our club, most skips would die before opening up the middle with hammer. In the competitive leagues you see more conventional strategy and tactics. It's baffling to me, really, because many of these teams have the appropriate skill to peel or run center guards when necessary, and they would win more games if they didn't get trapped into a losing come-around game when the other team has beat you to the spot, maybe multiple times. I think it is a psychological thing.

11-19-17 10:28PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Pretty sure our club will adopt new FGZ and do not expect it will have much impact on league play.

11-21-17 11:46AM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

Doubt very much that this rule's implementation will have much impact in club curling. Peeling guards is minimal. Players not generally able to execute that shot. Mindset is typically to curl around first guard placed -- whatever its colour.

That said, last night, coming home down one with hammer, our lead ringed his first rock deep. Managed to place a guard with his second stone. But opponents hit first of course, and peeled the guard next. So no certain cover,
ended up eeking out only a tie.

11-27-17 11:37PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

It's now official. The 2017-2018 USCA rules echo the WCF in placing the 5 rock FGZ implementation in Rule 6.B effective October 1, 2018. No going back now!

11-28-17 12:21AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

I think that is good. And after reading other replies, I still think there will be minimal impact on league play. Our club has lots of experienced curlers -- some will keep the front open with hammer but more will not. I have been curling a long time and I know that strategy may call for cleaning up the front but I think the game is a lot more fun with lots of rocks in play. I want to win the game, I guess, but not so badly that I am going to play the more boring, wide-open style.

12-11-17 07:12PM
Love2Curl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Love2Curl Click here to Send Love2Curl a Private Message Find more posts by Love2Curl Add Love2Curl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Love2Curl
Hitting Paint

For me if my club brings in the 5 rock fgz, I will hang them up. I think enough is enough. The rules are fine the way they are.

Maybe we should get really stupid and allow playing off the side boards.

12-12-17 03:41PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

Yes, our club will adopt it for all leagues and competitions.