Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mixed Doubles TV Schedule Jan 2-7 - Portage - Full Event Gang - Televised

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-06-18 03:56PM
CurlingZoneStats is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingZoneStats Click here to Send CurlingZoneStats a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingZoneStats Add CurlingZoneStats to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingZoneStats
Hitting Paint

I'm reading that all playoff games (sat and sun) are to be televised on CBC. However, our TV guide does not show the 7:00 semifinal game being televised. (It is hockey night). Am I missing something? We have been watching streaming all week.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-06-18 04:35PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingZoneStats
I'm reading that all playoff games (sat and sun) are to be televised on CBC. However, our TV guide does not show the 7:00 semifinal game being televised. (It is hockey night). Am I missing something? We have been watching streaming all week.

I was just looking at that too. (Manitoba).

01-06-18 04:42PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Two things I like about watching this event -

I like the dots running down the sides of the sheet. I find myself judging weight from my couch - adds to the fun. (My normal method is to forget about timing and read the sweepers). Doesn't effect play, but makes a big difference as a TV viewer. Hope they think of adding this in the big televised/streamed events.

I like that blank ends are scarce and I am not subjected to long boring strings of strategic "peel 'n replace". Gawd, nothing on TV more boring. Here every team is going to take a point if they can. The FGZ in regular play helps but maybe they can try no hitting anywhere until the back end?

01-06-18 05:28PM
CurlingZoneStats is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingZoneStats Click here to Send CurlingZoneStats a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingZoneStats Add CurlingZoneStats to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingZoneStats
Hitting Paint

Even worse call last end. Game over. Feel sorry for Kaitlyn.

01-06-18 05:38PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Not sure Kaitlyn is having any fun at all. Did she have another teammate before Morris?

01-06-18 05:53PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Morris' ego is so huge- must be related to DTrump. Simple hit to lie 3 and instead sets of a triple . Good for Val for sticking it to him,

01-06-18 06:47PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

SURE HOPE LAWES HEADS TO ALBERTA AT THE END OF THE SEASON.

THE POTENTIAL THERE IS UNLIMITED; POTENTIAL IN THE PEG? ZERO!!

01-06-18 08:35PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Feel sorry for Kaitlyn. John is treating her like a novice and she's far too good to let him be so bossy. He is so full of himself its almost funny. Her expressions sometimes seem to say "I would give anything to be anywhere else tonight".

01-06-18 09:49PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Really can't see Johnny Mope & Kaitlyn standing up to Peterman & Gallant.
Gallant is a far superior (and much cooler) player than Morris and while Kaitlyn can hold her own with anyone (possible exception = Rachel Homan) she'll be facing far higher degrees of difficulty with her shots vs. Joss P.

Jones should not be playing MD period. She killed all her time in the first half of the game, draining the clock exactly like she does in women's play. Left herself no time whatsoever to think over her last rock and left Peterman an absolute doozey-eazey last rock - even Fresca could have made that shot!

Officer & Reid probably had the most fun. Jill is an outstanding person, so is Reid. Only knock on Jill is she's a run-off curler, not a nuanced shooter. She was dead in the water from the get-go. Credit to them they made playoffs.

yes, far superior - they lost.

01-06-18 10:36PM
CurlingZoneStats
Hitting Paint

John was a different curler tonight. More considerate, mostly stayed with the rock, deferred to Kaitlyn on occasions, no reckless shot choices and curled at a high level. If they play tomorrow like today, they have a very good chance of going to the Olympics, in my opinion.

01-06-18 11:52PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Re: What a performance by Kaitlyn!!!

quote:
Courageous under the imposing arrogance of Johnny Mope.
Kaitlyn didn't really have a choice - Mark from Koe's squad was her partner - he's gone. Now they pair her with the moody and incessant John Morris. But she carried John as far as she could - ignored all the odds-makes and dealt the favourites (Joss/Brett) a butt-whipping.
Now she's in a tough fight vs. 2 of the best skips in the country. Gushue & Sweeting. I really don't know what to expect - although Brad is far superior to Morris in the thinking department. Kaitlyn & Val are about even - Kaitlyn the more powerful brusher. COULD BE A CLASSIC, BRUCE RAINNIE, COULD BE A CLASSIC!!!

So once again ML presents a bunch of facts that just are not true. Lawes was with Ryan Fry at the end of last season and all of this season. They did poorly in the mixed doubles points race and did not get an invite. Luckily for Lawes, Morris lost his partner (Homan) and she was the beneficiary. Gee, Homan/Morris have been one of the top mixed doubles teams for two years(look at the points, don't take my word for it) but of course the popular narrative is that Lawes is carrying Morris? Sure ML, whatever.

Morris rubs many people the wrong way to be sure but he is a champion through and through. He also knows enough to demote himself to third and give Simmons skipping duties in that Brier a few years back. Does he have an ego, yes....does he know how to win, also yes.

If you want a skip with a bigger ego simply look to the smug Gushue. He just does it in a far 'nicer ' way...both with Sweeting and his regular team.

Go Lawes/Morris !

01-07-18 12:02AM
CurlingZoneStats
Hitting Paint

Well said , Three.

01-07-18 03:50PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
All the finalists in the MD have incredible history in curling.

Both Morris & Gushue are storied curlers with incredible legacies. Another Olympic experience; just a feather in their caps.

Morris managed to stave off perhaps the best overall mixed curler in the land last nite (Gallant) and let his skip do her job.

While Val Sweeting doesn't quite have the curling legacy of Kaitlyn Lawes she's been a perennial contender on the national scene for many years - losing Joanne Courtney to Homan probably set her STOH dream back a tad (not only did it weaken Team Sweeting, it helped build Team Homan into a Curlzilla). Along with Emma Miskew Lawes is the pre-eminent 3rd in womens curling.

Should be a gooder, a real rager today. The big advantage is how Gushue utilizes rocks in the house. Perhaps the best ever. Do Lawes and Morris have the skills to confront this deficiency is the biggest question for today's game.

Gushue/Val are the favourites due to rock positioning.

Kaitlyn/John toppling them would be viewed as a minor upset.

A minor upset looks it's coming, hopefully Jones can find a new vice...

01-07-18 05:12PM
CurlingZoneStats
Hitting Paint

Jway to go, Kaitlyn and John. The play and teamwork displayed last two games augers well for success at Olympics.

01-07-18 06:50PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Amazing how little ML knows about JJ for all his many many many posts about her. I am 99 percent sure her official residence changed last year and she is already her teams designated out of province curler as she lives just outside Barrie Ontario.

Lawes can probably play provincials but if Team Homan was forbidden to play Nationals I can't see how Lawes could play the Scotties should the qualify.

01-07-18 07:26PM
CurlingZoneStats
Hitting Paint

Think I heard no replacements allowed. The team is just done if something happens to one player.

01-07-18 11:13PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

They definitely said on the broadcast that if a mixed doubles player goes down at the Olympics and can’t play, the team goes down too. No alternates.

01-07-18 11:20PM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats to Morris and Lawes! Here's hoping for triple gold for Canada in a few weeks!

Quick Q about the rules of MD.

During CBC's coverage, every time they showed their little graphic explaining the rules, the section for the 'power-play' ended with a configuration of a centre guard and a rock buried in the house in the top-8. Did they just screw up or is that an actual third option for a power-play (the other two being each side of the sheet).

Also, when my club tried it at the end of last season, one of the rules was that the team who didn't score had the option of whether to take last rock or not.
Has that ever been a rule in top level play? If so, is it still a rule but one that is ignored as no top level team would ever not want to throw last?

01-07-18 11:36PM
CurlingZoneStats
Hitting Paint

Power play allows for rocks to be set up outside of centerline only once per game. Seven ends use the centerline set up. Hammer goes to non counting team same as convential curling. One difference is, if team blanks end they lose hammer .

01-08-18 09:34AM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yeah. I assumed the CBC had just screwed up their graphics regarding the power play.

However, I did just find this http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/c...ainer-1.4060587 which seems to say that deferring hammer is still an option...

"The team with the hammer (last rock) chooses where to place these two stones. If that team elects to place its stone in the back of the 4-foot circle of the house and the opposing team's stone as the centre guard, then the opposing team delivers the first stone of the end. If it opts for the reverse, then it delivers the first stone of the end."

01-08-18 01:34PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats to Morris and Lawes!
I thought Kaitlyn really showcased how good a curler she is, throwing last rock and making a ton of difficult pressure shots.

As a fully qualified armchair skip, I thought some of the strategy on this team was a little shaky and they were beatable, but it didn't happen. I'm less confident of this team's chances in the Olympics than our men's and women's team who have to be the favourites.

So now who curls with JJ in the Mb Scotties? Does it matter?
QR