Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-04-17 11:14PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Dutch playing their best game ever, they are better than their record, but just have no experience here, they should beat Russia at least.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-04-17 11:27PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Wonder if?

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Haven't been watching all the media on this event - Cheryl pointed out Nichols was wobbly on a couple deliveries and fish-tailing on others - probably a sign his back had tightened up and he was unable to perfectly stabilize his core.

Walker had the known injury during the Brier - and Sallows is far more interchangeable with Walker than with Nichols.

If Nichols had to be rested - I suspect Gallant moves up to 3rd . . . .

Brad probably has the most serious injury - he actually had ot take a big chunk of the season off - but appears to have re-habbed to a great extent - - - simplified his delivery even more than usual!

When a team is unbeaten you just wanna keep playing at the same level - so changes are kinda verboten!

But at the Brier Nichols injured his groin I think, then Sallows filled in there too.

04-04-17 11:30PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Just brilliant for the Dutch to have a game like this, hopefully they can come back next year and build on it and for the rest of the week too.

04-04-17 11:35PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wonder if?

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

But at the Brier Nichols injured his groin I think, then Sallows filled in there too.

Sallows was ineligible to play in the brier as he played in the Alberta playdowns. He was there but did not play.

04-04-17 11:58PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Well the Swiss scored 3 in the 9th, the game actually looked closer than it was, as the Swiss did not play offensively enough and let the Dutch in the game, Swiss were hoping for mistakes.

Looks like the US will get the win now.

04-05-17 12:07AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

nice win U.S.

04-05-17 12:19AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

US win in a close one, but still win like I said, 6 teams can still grab the 4th playoff spot, who will it be, great if it's Italy.

04-05-17 01:06AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:

Well you are forgetting very important things, the HTH between teams and how they have performed this year, because you see Edin is not very capable of beating Gushue, they have played each other 14 times and Edin has won only 2 times, Gushue 12.

In 2010 Kevin Koe beat Glenn Howard in the Brier final. Prior to that win Kevin was dismal against Howard (1-9 between 2006-2010).

He's 10-18 since. 4-3 since forming his new squad in 2014.

04-05-17 01:08AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom

In 2010 Kevin Koe beat Glenn Howard in the Brier final. Prior to that win Kevin was dismal against Howard (1-9 between 2006-2010).

He's 10-18 since. 4-3 since forming his new squad in 2014.

That's great, but Edin has not turned the tide yet, and he has not formed a new squad, so still advantage Brad.

04-05-17 02:01AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

That's great, but Edin has not turned the tide yet, and he has not formed a new squad, so still advantage Brad.

I don't think anyone said Edin was going to win. It was only suggested that he has the best chance of beating Gushue. Is there a team with a better head to head record against Gushue? If you know of a team with a better chance, name them.

Last edited by guido on 04-05-17 at 02:03AM

04-05-17 05:10AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido

I don't think anyone said Edin was going to win. It was only suggested that he has the best chance of beating Gushue. Is there a team with a better head to head record against Gushue? If you know of a team with a better chance, name them.

Do you mean a team at this event, or any team in the world?

04-05-17 05:17AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Tomorrow's 1st 2 draw winners: Canada, Japan, Norway and Sweden. US, Swiss, Dutch and Canada.

04-05-17 08:59AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tyren
i am honestly surprised at the dominance Brad and the boys have been demonstrating. I dont think Brad has had to throw his last rock yet which is incredible. Is this a cause of Brad just playing well or the skill set of the competition not being as high? i think a bit of both. they will easily be first place now as they will not drop two games and i only see Edin giving them a run for their money, but i think these guys are gonna go through undefeated.

I have to agree with you. I haven't seen Canada really tested. Is the rest of the world declining despite some of them being full time curlers? Edin probably peaked a bit too early this season. Or are they all playing possum until the playoffs?

Homan also had relatively easy time at the worlds with only Russia, Korea and the US giving her a slight challenge in RR. Playoffs - like a hot knife through butter.

I hope Nicols isn't seriously injured but if he is, perhaps he should be rested for one of the games...Gallant can easily vice and Sallows is a very good curler.

04-05-17 09:06AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

This from Curling Canada's news update:

"A boisterous bunch of partisan spectators seated in the stands next to the sheet they were playing on fired verbal volleys at the Germans and cheering Canadian shots and jeering German misses.".

I hope this game isn't going in this direction...

04-05-17 09:41AM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
US win in a close one, but still win like I said, 6 teams can still grab the 4th playoff spot, who will it be, great if it's Italy.

Unless something crazy happens, it looks like the USA vs China match will most likely decide the 4th playoff spot. If the US wins it, they have by far the easiest road among all the 4-3 & 3-4 teams. If Germany wins though, there most likely will be a tie breaker.

This is of course if everything goes as it should....which is why the games are played.

Last edited by Clappy on 04-05-17 at 06:29PM

04-05-17 09:48AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I have to agree with you. I haven't seen Canada really tested. Is the rest of the world declining despite some of them being full time curlers? Edin probably peaked a bit too early this season. Or are they all playing possum until the playoffs?

Homan also had relatively easy time at the worlds with only Russia, Korea and the US giving her a slight challenge in RR. Playoffs - like a hot knife through butter.

I hope Nicols isn't seriously injured but if he is, perhaps he should be rested for one of the games...Gallant can easily vice and Sallows is a very good curler.

i dont think its right to say canada hasnt been tested. switzerland took them all the way to the end and sweden gave them a good battle but collapsed late.

those teams are probably the 2 with the best chance of beating them in a final situation.

and i think the US game would have been very different if shuster didnt miss his 2 shots in 6. remember. the US was setting up good to tie in 6 until john missed his first the worst way and then it still would have been close if he hadnt hit and rolled out

04-05-17 10:01AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Well you are forgetting very important things, the HTH between teams and how they have performed this year, because you see Edin is not very capable of beating Gushue, they have played each other 14 times and Edin has won only 2 times, Gushue 12.

You really need to get your facts right, ok, yes Edin and Gushue have had great years with 500 and 484 points respectively, but there is a difference between the rest, so here are the rankings, the Swiss are the clear 3rd best team with 234, then Scotland with 203, then Norway with 198, then China with 153, then the US with 150, Japan with 108, Netherlands with 79, Germany with 62, Russia with 55 and Italy with 15.

Proof is in the pudding, your predictions have been off where as mine have been more on.

Norway can easily still make playoffs, they don't have to play any hard games except for Canada, which is winnable, 5 losses might be ok this time anyway, as the middle is looking pretty jammed right now.

Japan have not had a good year, so I would not be surprised if they missed playoffs, even though they are in a good position right now.

im well aware of h2h but if we just judged everything by H2H then this event and any other shouldnt be played . anything can happen in a curling game and he hasnt beaten gushue that much but he still has so the possibility is there.

i dont care that much about the rankings. to me that honestly doesnt matter in this event. shuster has had a pretty poor season but he's still a playoff contender and a favorite for a medal over norway for sure

norway most likely will not beat canada not unless gushue is off. its pretty hilarious that you think norway has a good chance against canada just because they have never played before yet you gave china no chance yet liu had beaten gushue before. yes, china lost but i struggle to see how canada is a winnable game for norway yet china beating them was out of the question. is that simply because the 2 have never played before?. norway has lost to every other one of the medal favorites except scotland so id like you to explain that one.

04-05-17 11:14AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Do you mean a team at this event, or any team in the world?

What is the title of this thread???
But, since you brought it up, there are only 3-4 teams in the world with a better chance than Edin to beat Gushue. And they are all from Canada.

Last edited by guido on 04-05-17 at 11:17AM

04-05-17 12:15PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Canada outscoring the opposition 59-24 in their first seven games. So they are averaging 8.4 points per game and only giving up 3.4.

Since they have beaten both Sweden and Switzerland and those teams still have to play each other 9-2 guarantees a top two finish and 10-1 guarantees first place.

Canadian teams (men and women) are 20-0 at the worlds and about to go 21-0. I'm pretty sure no country has ever gone undefeated in a year, and I wonder what the record for fewest losses is and if Canada actually holds the record. There must have been a year with two really good Swedish teams or even Scottish teams back in the day.

04-05-17 12:55PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Wonder if?

quote:

I thought it was Nichols who had injury issues.

It is Walker and Sallow did not play at the Brier, He was inserted during last nights game

04-05-17 01:14PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

This was the first time a women's team has gone undefeated at Worlds, so no country has ever gone undefeated in a year.

04-05-17 01:34PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Canada won both in 1980, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2000, 2007, and 2008.

The first women's world championship was in 1979, so Canada has won both 11 times in 38 years. It actually happened almost 50% of the time between 1980 and 1996, but only three times in the last 20+ years.

04-05-17 01:34PM
GregJP
Swing Artist

I'll go through and see if I can find the best Canadian year.

04-05-17 01:47PM
GregJP
Swing Artist

In 1980 Canada went 10-1 (Marj Mitchell) and 10-0 (Rick Folk) So that's 20-1. The only loss was Mitchell losing 7-6 to Elisabeth Hogstrom in draw 8. She won the semi-final 9-4 over Scotland and defeated Hogstrom 7-6 in the final. Folk advanced directly to the final and defeated Kristian Sorum 7-6.

Mitchell outscored her opposition 105-42 and Folk outscored his 74-39.

04-05-17 02:04PM
GregJP
Swing Artist

In 1994 Sandra Schmirler went Rick Folk both went 10-1. (20-2)
In 1996 Marilyn Bodogh and Jeff Stoughton both went 10-1. (20-2)
In 2007 Kelly Scott and Glenn Howard both went 12-1. (24-2)

3 combined losses has happened three times.

Best overall Canadian performances

1980 - 20-1 (0.952)
2007 - 24-2 (0.923)
1994 - 20-2 (0.909)
1996 - 20-2 (0.909)

I think there's a good chance the record gets broken this year. Even one loss by Gushue will break the record.