Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Sydney, N.S.

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-16-19 04:07PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Click here to Send Qtownranger a Private Message Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Smile Play-in

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

Jones has won this tournament six times, might have the best ever women's curling resume, and this is as strong a supporting cast as she's ever had. I think it's disingenuous to suggest that Jones making the final would surprise anyone.

I agree that JJ has one of the best if not the best curling resume, but I think her ability to compete has dropped off. Regardless, I may well be wrong in my prediction but I am not being disingenuous.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-16-19 04:22PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Nunavut tied for first !! Nice first ever win

02-16-19 04:23PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

Very happy for Nunavut!

Good draw, all games were very tight.

02-16-19 04:50PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Observations from Draw 1

1. Great moment for Nunavut - even if it was the Quebec junior missing her hit on last brick.

2. Manitoba Fleury had Alberta Carey under full control - but key misses for extra pts (a Jones or Einarson specialty) forced Fleury to draw full 8 ft. with her final stone. She was approx. 25 ft. light.

3. Light curling Krista McCarville gave a ferocious Rachel Homan a tremendous match. Even the commentators were astounded how the match was tied coming home. Krista tossed her final rock away - Rachel didn't have to make her last shot.

The McCarville vs. Homan game - Krista & Courtney were off some but this game still made the Scheidegger vs Einarson play-in look like a training game for beginners.

02-16-19 05:48PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Play-in

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

Jones has won this tournament six times, might have the best ever women's curling resume, and this is as strong a supporting cast as she's ever had. I think it's disingenuous to suggest that Jones making the final would surprise anyone.

DISINGENUOUS ?

Means: Dishonest, deceitful, insincere, untruthful, etc.

Perhaps "Unrealistic" would have been a better choice of words? I.e., not having a practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

02-16-19 06:16PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Re: Play-in

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

DISINGENUOUS ?

Means: Dishonest, deceitful, insincere, untruthful, etc.

Perhaps "Unrealistic" would have been a better choice of words? I.e., not having a practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

My word choice reflects the fact that I don't believe anyone on this forum would actually be "surprised" to see the most successful female curler ever qualify for the final. She's won six of these things. She's not sneaking up on anyone.

If each of us gets to bet on just two teams, odds and payouts equal, to be in the final, we're all picking Homan/Jones.

02-16-19 07:20PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

More surprised if Jones qualifies for the final than if she doesn't. . . .

Standing up to Rachel Homan & the mean girls - thats a different matter!

Already today Jones is showing her wares - GAME OF MISSES vs. a fairly nervous Robyn Silvernagle and Jones is up 3-1 early .

More to do with Silvernagle curling up a feeble 42% vs. Jones's usual gaffes in rock-positioning!

02-16-19 08:34PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
More surprised if Jones qualifies for the final than if she doesn't. . . .

Standing up to Rachel Homan & the mean girls - thats a different matter!

Already today Jones is showing her wares - GAME OF MISSES vs. a fairly nervous Robyn Silvernagle and Jones is up 3-1 early .

More to do with Silvernagle curling up a feeble 42% vs. Jones's usual gaffes in rock-positioning!

You are smart enough to know that percentages don't mean anything, except for the other team to maybe scout your fav. turn, etc.

It is the shot you make at the right time, you can miss most of them and make the right one - example, beauty shot by Jones in the 7th for 2. And she still has crappy %.

02-16-19 09:09PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

You are smart enough to know that percentages don't mean anything, except for the other team to maybe scout your fav. turn, etc.

It is the shot you make at the right time, you can miss most of them and make the right one - example, beauty shot by Jones in the 7th for 2. And she still has crappy %.

Not quite as crappy as Kerri Einarson but close.

Jones curls like this vs. Scheidegger, Carey, McCarville or Homan and she'll be eviscerated.

Also of the belief Peterman & Lawes percentages are down at least 5 to 8% because of poor icing by their skip!

02-16-19 09:11PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Percentages generally don't mean much if the other team is matching you in crappiness. However, if you're 10 or more pts down across the board to a monster (like Homan) you have little to no chance to win the game!

02-16-19 09:23PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

And she won her game, Mr. Critic.

Very impressive win by Team Galusha as well. I liked their confidence going into the Scottie's.

02-16-19 10:45PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

holy crap has the play in these first 3 games been painful. you know its bad when the commentators s main point has that it has been pretty sloppy.

hopefully it'll get better

also nice one there from vic to call jenniffer jones rachel homan and rus and cheryl just let that go. didnt correct him

02-16-19 11:23PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
holy crap has the play in these first 3 games been painful. you know its bad when the commentators s main point has that it has been pretty sloppy.

hopefully it'll get better

also nice one there from vic to call jenniffer jones rachel homan and rus and cheryl just let that go. didnt correct him

Yah, you know you got problems when both Linda & Russ are going off the reservation and Vic don't know if he's foot or horseback. Part of the proviso for TSN getting the major curling coverage (other than slams) is that they remain positive regardless of how poor the level of play degrades!

But they had no choice - Einarson vs. Scheidegger was extremely painful; Jones vs. Silvernagle wasn't much better - but at least a deteriorating Jones had enough moxy to close out a win.

Tracy Fleury had a close-out shot to win her first match over the higher seed, Chels Carey - and came up 20 feet light on a draw to the 12 foot.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-17-19 at 09:13AM

02-17-19 12:04AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Linda?

OOhh ML. Linda retired a long time ago. Cheryl mind you tends to go along with Russ and even Vic. TSN needs the Johnny Miller of curling. Hey that shot was crap, what were they thinking, that was a stupid call. This ice is terrible.

Tell it like it is, not what sounds best for TV sponsors. I think you'll find if you say it like it is more often, more viewers will say yeah, he's right! That was stupid. This guy and or gal, knows what they're talking about. More viewers = more sponsorship money. Easy math.

02-17-19 09:38AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Linda?

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
OOhh ML. Linda retired a long time ago. Cheryl mind you tends to go along with Russ and even Vic. TSN needs the Johnny Miller of curling. Hey that shot was crap, what were they thinking, that was a stupid call. This ice is terrible.

Tell it like it is, not what sounds best for TV sponsors. I think you'll find if you say it like it is more often, more viewers will say yeah, he's right! That was stupid. This guy and or gal, knows what they're talking about. More viewers = more sponsorship money. Easy math.

Curling has evolved into a gentle game - played by gentle minds and watched by gentle folk. (perhaps substitute genteel for gentle)

Odd exceptions are fiercers like Jacobs, Fry, Harndens, the mean girls, Jones, Daley Peters, etc. but mostly docile rock-throwers to be sure.

Putting in a "Johnny Miller" type would cause a revolution. That type would expose too many flaws, warts & substantially poor thinking in the game. The broadcaster would be inundated with threats - Vic Rauter would need a bodyguard.

I'd say 25% of the curlers and just over 50% of the audience would appreciate such a voice but curling isn't quite ready - YET

02-17-19 09:58AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

YAFI

02-17-19 10:09AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Your all ****ing idiots = yafi

How classy

02-17-19 10:50AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Your all ****ing idiots = yafi

How classy

So long as there's still an unsupervised internet connection at the sick home . . . .

02-17-19 11:05AM
Nordic_Pride is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nordic_Pride Find more posts by Nordic_Pride Add Nordic_Pride to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nordic_Pride
Knee-Slider

A broadcast without Vic Rauter - what a relief.

02-17-19 11:24AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Think Fleury is second guessing why she ever hooked up with Selena?

02-17-19 11:32AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Think Fleury is second guessing why she ever hooked up with Selena?

Selena is a fairly meek 3rd who's grown quite a bit as a top-end shooter. Still not close to monsters like Lawes or Miskew - she's pretty much in the lower part of the 2nd tier - w/ gals like McTaggart, Cathy O, Lawton, Kendra Lilly, etc.

Problem so far is Tracy herself. So quiet, so polite but usually deadly on draws. Her draws have been her fatal flaw. 25 feet short on a draw to win last nite - 1/2 a foot too long on a draw behind a solo corner guard on her first today. She's ruining it. I'm sure she'll be better - but she's only got one more game to give up before she'll be out of it.

02-17-19 11:37AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

The two STOH pools are clearly one-sided (Quelle Suprise!) and once again favors Jones and her team as well as all the other teams in her pool. But at least it is not as unbalanced as some of those events which took place in September, October and November.

02-17-19 11:42AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Unbalanced

Unbalanced would not matter if they only carried over the results against the other teams that make the championship pool (not every team they play). Any idea why they do it this way (does it reduce tiebreakers or something?)

02-17-19 11:56AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: Unbalanced

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
Unbalanced would not matter if they only carried over the results against the other teams that make the championship pool (not every team they play). Any idea why they do it this way (does it reduce tiebreakers or something?)

I recall this coming up last year as well. They really ought to only carry over the results against the advancing teams. To do otherwise is just nuts.

02-17-19 12:53PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Yes, advancing the four teams in the Page playoffs based on their W - L in the Championship pool on Thursday and Friday is a quick and simple solution.

So why is it that we, the Posters, are the only ones that understand this?

Perhaps those folks who establish all the rules and regulations should become Posters and we take their place somewhere in the Bureaucracy !!