Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-02-14 08:12PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Positive signs

Dropkin rink wins the prestigious OVCA Junior spiel. Lots of World Junior champions have gone through that spiel over the years. Well done.

Junior girls rink also qualified (well, kinda qualified...they only take 4 teams) before losing to the eventual spiel champions.

Tuck

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-03-14 07:56AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Along the way, team Dropkin beat a world champion (Schwaller) and a Canadian champion (Dunstone).

11-03-14 08:32AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Beat last years World Champion twice. A big win and the ladies played pretty well too.

Last edited by biterbar on 11-03-14 at 08:38AM

11-04-14 07:30AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm sure that all of the Junior men have now viewed McEwen's double raise/double takeout for four about a dozen times by now. Take a minute and look at it again, youngsters.

He does NOT throw a rocket that might float on him. There are times for scorching heat...but not that many and that was not one of them.

Also note that Gushue stays on the task before him. He goes on in the next end to call his game and get his deuce...and eventually win the game. Maturity and self control and focus.

Ben Tucker

11-07-14 06:17PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Need a positive sign today? Check out the teams coming to Blaine for the US Open: http://www.worldcurl.com/events.php...3527&view=Teams

Also, the fields for Duluth and Curl Mesabi are looking good...really good fields on the Ladies' sides.

Mac Guy upsets Geall in BC today. I'd like to say I saw it coming, but I didn't.

Not everything is negative. Curling is a great game.

Ben Tucker

11-10-14 06:45PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Looks like the HP "B" teams out did the "A" teams this weekend in Canada. I am not sure they have been designated that way, but Roth is the defending National Champion and Plys did trade a second for a skip, so i assume they are stacking one team at the expense of the other? Aileen looked as though she might meet Muirhead in the final but came up short to Middaugh. Craig made the semi's as well but a 4 in the second hurt. I watched his earlier game on delay and the ice seemed to make simple shots hard for both. Lank won a lesser spiel but had a great weekend.

I feel more positive.

I would love to be there for the U.S. Open, but dont think the schedule allows.

11-11-14 01:17AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Patti Lank wins a midlevel spiel in Ontario (defeating the venerable Bodogh in the final). Erika Brown does pretty well in Royal LePage (even if Lysa Johnson and Deb McCormick didn't do very well at all). Pretty good weekend for the USA, even with the continued troubles for the top Men's team.

We've been promised a big announcement from the USCA for a little while now. I suspect it will be soon. Exposure and coverage are huge...but it is viewership that drives the engine of growth.

Ben Tucker

11-13-14 04:44PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

At $47K, the Colonial Square in Saskatoon is one of the richest Ladies' events of the year. So I'm fairly surprised that nobody has mentioned the Sormunen results. Aileen cashes $5K for making the semis. Tied-up-without coming home, they just missed out on the finals.

This is pretty big stuff. Do we now only cheer for teams that are from the USA but not the HPP teams? Or is Curlingzone dying?

Come on, people. It's not all negative.

New clubs are opening. Arena curling is getting better. Dedicated facilities are being built. Great facilities are being planned. Both HPP Junior genders are looking like world beaters. Non-HPP teams are doing really well...except for Brady Clark and they will turn that around this weekend.

Ben Tucker
(if I am the positive one, we are in trouble)

11-13-14 06:10PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Aileen looked as though she might meet Muirhead in the final but came up short to Middaugh.

Tuck, don't you read the posts of anyone with less than 1000 comments?

11-13-14 06:50PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Yes. I read everything. I just thought it might get a bigger reaction. It's a pretty big cash and a pretty big deal.

Sorry, Biter. I guess I'm just looking for some positivity because I don't have much. In my defense: As the newspaper editors say, "You buried the lead." That has a totally different meaning in curling.

Tuck

11-14-14 06:01PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Tuck, Here is some more positive news. The growth of brand new outdoor curling events in the last three years! Boise CC's S.O.B. is going strong, the Vinadio Cup this month in the Italian Maritime Alps is full, a new club by Mt. Washington has been supporting Lake Morey Resort which zambonis several hockey rinks as well as a speed skating oval and wants regular curling events, too, and Yosemite National Park is welcoming back curling this winter after a hiatus of over 60 years.

11-16-14 08:04AM
owlhooter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for owlhooter Click here to Send owlhooter a Private Message Find more posts by owlhooter Add owlhooter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
owlhooter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I'm sure that all of the Junior men have now viewed McEwen's double raise/double takeout for four about a dozen times by now. Take a minute and look at it again, youngsters.

He does NOT throw a rocket that might float on him. There are times for scorching heat...but not that many and that was not one of them.

Also note that Gushue stays on the task before him. He goes on in the next end to call his game and get his deuce...and eventually win the game. Maturity and self control and focus.

Ben Tucker

Two things I believe:

1. You don't have to blow up rocks to take them out. That said, Slam ice is straighter with weight, so the ice allows for a shot with down normal. The harder you throw it, the less curl comes into play. Playing that weir is better unless the ice dictates something more.

2. The hardest part of this game is not thinking shots are hard. McEwen needed to see the shot - if we hit this here, this will hit here, and double out these. That isn't easy, but once you see the shot, think of it as "hit this rock here" and not a double raise double. A double raise anything seems harder than a nose hit because of the outcome. On a nose hit, you have to hit the rock in the perfect spot. On a double run back double, you have to hit the rock in the perfect spot.

The lesson is to also throw the weight and hit the broom. And stay on task. I need to hit this rock here. The rock does the rest of the work.

11-19-14 10:47AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
At $47K, the Colonial Square in Saskatoon is one of the richest Ladies' events of the year. So I'm fairly surprised that nobody has mentioned the Sormunen results. Aileen cashes $5K for making the semis. Tied-up-without coming home, they just missed out on the finals.

This is pretty big stuff. Do we now only cheer for teams that are from the USA but not the HPP teams? Or is Curlingzone dying?

In our curling household, we follow the progress of all competitive teams, whether HPP or not. I scope out the WCT and shotrockcurling.com sites to see who is playing where each weekend. Both of us check line scores regularly (me through the CZ app on my iThingy) although we don't usually watch the webstreams and when we are in different parts of the house will actually yell updates to each other. FWIW we were both keeping up with Aileen's journey and had our fingers crossed for her to make it to the finals.

So that answers your first question.

nom de broom

11-20-14 06:59PM
Deez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deez Click here to Send Deez a Private Message Find more posts by Deez Add Deez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deez
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well, this is neat

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...0/Curling-on-TV

More curling on TV is better for everyone.

11-21-14 10:06PM
westcoveroadie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for westcoveroadie Click here to Send westcoveroadie a Private Message Find more posts by westcoveroadie Add westcoveroadie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
westcoveroadie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Team McCormick goes 3-2 in pool play and qualifies at The National.

Well done boys, and good luck in the playoffs...

11-22-14 02:53PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

One positive sign: Heater's team looks pretty good right now.

11-23-14 11:38AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Heater makes the semis in a Slam. Craig Brown qualified in DeKalb and might have a very good Sunday. Aileen and Erika are both still alive on the Ladies' side of the Dekalb and might be curling on Monday. It's a very good weekend. Now not all of our hopes are pinned to Juniors.

Ben Tucker

11-23-14 04:32PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

Ericka qualified, plays monday, craig in semifinals against former junior champ dunstone.

11-23-14 08:16PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

sorry ericka plays in qualifier tonite.

11-24-14 09:58AM
coppercanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coppercanuck Click here to Send coppercanuck a Private Message Find more posts by coppercanuck Add coppercanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coppercanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm never sure what to think these made for TV events. In the past very few of these events make the game look better or explain the game to the casual fan. Time will tell if this one is better.