M: KW Fall Classic
W: KW Fall Classic
M: Mother Club Fall Curling Classic
W: Anita Cochrane Memorial Junior Women
M: Anita Cochrane Memorial Junior Men
M: WCT Tallinn Mixed Doubles International
M: Moosehead Fall Open
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 World Womens, North Bay

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-21-18 07:15PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

Prior to the Olympics I stated the Canadian team could well finish as low as 5th, and the RR would end up as follows:

Korea ( 8 - 1 )
Sweden ( 7 - 2 )
Japan ( 6 - 3 )
G.B. ( 6- 3 )

My W-L prediction for the top 6 countries following Draw # 20 of the World RR is:

Sweden ( 12 - 0 )
Canada ( 11 - 1 )
Korea ( 10 - 2 )
Russia ( 8 - 4 )
USA ( 7 - 5 )
Cze ( 7 - 5 )

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-21-18 08:31PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Swedish Super-Girl is very sloppy tonite - even worse than Jones & Lawes (who aren't exactly doing the Goo Shoo Shuffle)
Jones up 5-1 on Hasselborg at the break. . . . . Jones will give Anna a "beggar's deuce" in the 6th - (that's when you basically tell the other team you're conceding them 2 in order to get back hammer)

. .. . . and then the game is on!

03-21-18 09:19PM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Prior to the Olympics I stated the Canadian team could well finish as low as 5th, and the RR would end up as follows:

Korea ( 8 - 1 )
Sweden ( 7 - 2 )
Japan ( 6 - 3 )
G.B. ( 6- 3 )

My W-L prediction for the top 6 countries following Draw # 20 of the World RR is:

Sweden ( 12 - 0 )
Canada ( 11 - 1 )
Korea ( 10 - 2 )
Russia ( 8 - 4 )
USA ( 7 - 5 )
Cze ( 7 - 5 )

Wanna try again ?

03-22-18 01:59AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Jones playing very well. So far by far the class of the field.

03-22-18 08:36AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Jones playing very well. So far by far the class of the field.

i wouldnt say that. they were sloppy in a lot of their games. against the czech republic, china, scotland, denmark, korea. ..

no one has been curling lights out here.

03-22-18 08:47AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Donr

Wanna try again ?

I should have followed Abe Lincoln's advice:

"It's Always Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt."

03-22-18 10:38AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i wouldnt say that. they were sloppy in a lot of their games. against the czech republic, china, scotland, denmark, korea. ..

no one has been curling lights out here.

Hasselborg was curling lights out until she hit the JJ roadblock. Anna was even worse than Jen - if that was even possible!

Today, you can see before your eyes Jones go out of sorts - her ice calls are feeble, her line calls worse and yet she holds hammer in a tie w/ Russia.

Russia far looser this a.m. I suspect Jones will press things and have Moisseva hang up a 3 or 4 on her in 8 or 9.

03-22-18 11:46AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

It’s amazing how lucky team canada has been all week. The other teams are always missing key shots that are very easy or making the wrong calls. End 8, 9 and 10 against russia are perfect examples.

Last edited by guido on 03-23-18 at 01:43AM

03-22-18 12:31PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jen curling her B or B+ game will not be able to slither by Sweden's athletic girls for gold.

Especially if the Swedes play their normal A-, A or A+ game.

Jones may be unbeaten but she's very susceptible to almost any team having a good game. Trouble is - her opponents are self-destructing worse than JJ.

On a positive side - Jones is SO VERY GOOD with the home crowds - North Bay and WC visitors just adore her (especially Kait & Jilly). She's tremendous with autographs, interacting with curling folks, children, etc.

May be in her typical World championship out-of-sorts funk but that doesn't stop her from enjoying the moment.

She'll have her work cut out for her in the semi and/or final.

Semi could easily be Moisseva again - or Korea.

Final should be against Sweden - with Sweden starting to power up again!

03-22-18 12:43PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido
It’s amazing how lucky team canada has been all week. The other teams are always missing key shots that are very easy or making the wrong calls. End 8 against russia is a perfect example.

or Team Canad is making the right calls and the right shots at the right time.

03-22-18 01:27PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

or Team Canad is making the right calls and the right shots at the right time.

i honestly think it's a combination of both. that game against china for example rus and cheryl rightfully called them out on their strategy multiple times. the 4th end against korea was brutal on korea's part on the skip's rocks.same things goes with russia today in that 8th end.

like i said i don't think canada has looked overly dominant. to be honest their unbeaten record is a little flattering to how they are actually playing.

china and scotland's losses in particular really came down to one bad end that cost them

03-22-18 04:31PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Russia powering up !!!

Now have to include Miss Vicki (Moisseva) in the playoff picture. They're getting their sea legs and appear more poised and efficient than previous Russian teams led by Sidorova.

Really pressured Jones at her own game of "house-stacking" but couldn't close out an anemic and confused Jones. If Jones plays like that again - she'll be erased by any of the top girls (ie. Hasselborg, Kim, Moisseva, Sinclair, possibly even Feltscher if she can win out and qualify)

03-22-18 08:10PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow. so..i didn't think it would be but 6 losses looks like it could be okay to get you something. czech republic drop to a 5th loss to germany and have united states and japan to play. US on 4 losses have canada and czech republic. japan on 5 have canada and czech republic

so binia at 4-6 might get in afterall if she can win her last 2 and her draw shot challenge is enough to get her in that top 6

03-22-18 08:55PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
wow. so..i didn't think it would be but 6 losses looks like it could be okay to get you something. czech republic drop to a 5th loss to germany and have united states and japan to play. US on 4 losses have canada and czech republic. japan on 5 have canada and czech republic

so binia at 4-6 might get in afterall if she can win her last 2 and her draw shot challenge is enough to get her in that top 6

I think they should impose a rule you must have a "winning record" to make it to the playoffs. If it's only 4 or 5 teams, so be it. How can a loser or at best 50% team make the playoffs. They don't deserve it.

03-22-18 09:09PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Czech Republic plays Japan in the last round - so that could be a meaningful game as things are ending up scrambled at the 50/50 mark.

03-22-18 09:15PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I think they should impose a rule you must have a "winning record" to make it to the playoffs. If it's only 4 or 5 teams, so be it. How can a loser or at best 50% team make the playoffs. They don't deserve it.

I agree. The solution is of course to just revert back to the Page playoff system. In addition to the problem you have highlighted, the Page playoff system gives the 1 and 2 seeds a bit of a cushion over the 3 and 4 seeds, which I believe is a fair reward for round robin superiority.

I love that Jones is about to be 10-0. She is the best all time. When the best of all time squeaks out victories even when not playing very well, it eventually can't be considered an accident.

03-22-18 10:11PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

OMG - horrible last end strategy against China - now again, Russia melts down - and seemed even to argue with their coach. #really? Victory Sweden #aGift

03-22-18 10:19PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I wouldn't be popping the Jones champagne corks just yet.

Sweden & Russia just put on a contest that had the feel of an Olympic gold medal game. The percentages were amazingly high - many shots had high degrees of difficulty and the contest wasn't decided until Moisseva went a few inches too far on her last stone in the extra - trying to outdraw a guarded stone on the side of the button.

Jones is the best ever, yes - at engineering wins at the Scotties, Worlds and Olympics. However, she seems to be clowning around too often on too many ends and has been the beneficiary of other teams falling on their arses. JJ's percentages were putrid vs. the succulent lambs from Italy - she'd be shredded by the athletic Swedes and/or the crafty Russians, not to mention the possibility of upset vs. Olympic silver medallists Korea or upstart USA.

Should be two gold medals awarded in Olympic and World curling.

One for winner of the round-robin - other for the playoff winner.

Jones would have 3 world golds and playing for a 4th this weekend if that ever happened. NOTE TO SELF: IT WON'T.....

03-23-18 07:33AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I wouldn't be popping the Jones champagne corks just yet.

Sweden & Russia just put on a contest that had the feel of an Olympic gold medal game. The percentages were amazingly high - many shots had high degrees of difficulty and the contest wasn't decided until Moisseva went a few inches too far on her last stone in the extra - trying to outdraw a guarded stone on the side of the button.

Jones is the best ever, yes - at engineering wins at the Scotties, Worlds and Olympics. However, she seems to be clowning around too often on too many ends and has been the beneficiary of other teams falling on their arses. JJ's percentages were putrid vs. the succulent lambs from Italy - she'd be shredded by the athletic Swedes and/or the crafty Russians, not to mention the possibility of upset vs. Olympic silver medallists Korea or upstart USA.

Should be two gold medals awarded in Olympic and World curling.

One for winner of the round-robin - other for the playoff winner.

Jones would have 3 world golds and playing for a 4th this weekend if that ever happened. NOTE TO SELF: IT WON'T.....

Win or lose, at least the Jones team is showing some personality, communicating, making the right shots at the right time......let's face she is not often wrong with her s tragedy, and they look like they are enjoying themselves.

There is so much more than just throwing a rock to form a winning team. Unlike our Olympic champions that had none of that. Even when Jones one the Olympics...they still looked to enjoy it, communicate....and let's face it she can call a game.

03-23-18 07:52AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Will never happen. This entire system was designed to eliminate tiebreakers and provide certainty of schedule to the Broadcasters, which is (likely correctly) perceived as the single most important factor to the growth of the game.

There will never again be a system in important events where Round Robin decides things (too much possibility of the last couple of draws being meaningless), nor will there be tiebreakers (can't be conveniently scheduled in advance for the all important TV listings), nor will there be any other system where the exact number, structure, and format of the playoffs isn't known weeks in advance.

Frankly, we're lucky they threw the bone of "Okay, we're getting rid of tiebreakers, but we are going to invite 2 more teams into the playoff structure, since it was rare there was more than a 3 way tie for 4th place"

The Round Robin gets rid of half the field. That's pretty typical if you look at it. Soccer's World Cup lets 16 of 32 teams into the bracket.

03-23-18 11:55AM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

So - 5 losses it is. I wonder of Czech Republic and USA will meet again? No LSFD tie breaker scenario - and that's a good thing.

03-23-18 12:15PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

nope. 6 losses is still alive. if china wins their last and the united states and/or the czech republic loses to canada then 6 losses will be okay. im not sure though, if china, czech republic and the united states all end up on 6 losses who would move on.

i'd hope the czech republic since they beat china and the united states but we'll see

03-23-18 01:12PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
nope. 6 losses is still alive.
Geez - I thought it was a 12 team RR - grueling. - And on another note - kinda late in the week for this, but every time I look at the headshots of Team Italy, I feel certain that it is Diana's photo in Veronica's position. No?

Last edited by nelski on 03-23-18 at 01:28PM

03-23-18 01:19PM
Burned_Broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Burned_Broom Click here to Send Burned_Broom a Private Message Find more posts by Burned_Broom Add Burned_Broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Burned_Broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Russia wins the playoff field is set. China lost to both the Czechs and USA so they need a 2 or 3 way tie(not 4) with Russia to have a chance.

03-23-18 02:30PM
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Burned_Broom
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Russia wins the playoff field is set. China lost to both the Czechs and USA so they need a 2 or 3 way tie(not 4) with Russia to have a chance.

Should Russia win their final two games they will end up 4th. Should China, Cze and USA all end up with 6 losses, China will not move on to the playoffs because they lost to both Cze and the USA.

But consider this scenario: What happens if Russia loses their last 2 games, if both the USA and Cze lose their last game and if China wins their final game of the RR thereby creating a 4 way tie? Is China not suddenly back in the picture because they were the only team to defeat Russia? And how can they be ranked ahead of both Cze and the USA having lost to both in the RR?