Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-07-17 02:17PM
Miz5508 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Miz5508 Click here to Send Miz5508 a Private Message Find more posts by Miz5508 Add Miz5508 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Miz5508
Harvey Hacksmasher

Brier brooms!

Couple observations and questions.

Koe still slides with a hair brush (with new rules koe has NO need for a hair brush; see what I did there?). Using it to slide is legit.

Morris/botcher/Howard/cotier all have what appear to have shaved 8-ender hair brooms (or something similar) with a WCF approved mustard head screwed on.
-with the one declared sweeping device per player rule (they would never be allowed to use this extra broom to ever jump up and help sweep), and hair brooms being ok to slide with, why are they doing this? It seems really popular.
-this trend is baffling me. All I can think is MAYBE players are prepping their favorite sliding broom for sweeping in mixed doubles??

QC is using performance spider brooms, anyone have a review on those?

Hardline seems to be the favorite even at this level (for self funded teams I can see the price point [savings] being hard to ignored over BP or GL) so they must be superior; or so one would think.

I have seen goldline Air brooms in the commercials but not on ice (including the scotties). I've held one, they make lightspeed feel heavy like the lightspeed made the hardline feel heavy.

Lightspeed. Sorry to the suckas that bought into gen1 on lightspeed; lightspeed XL, size matters?

Games are better with the mustard stain fabric

Mike Mcewen still has the best broom on the ice.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-07-17 03:24PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Hair brooms are more stable because the head does not pivot like some other brooms so it is nice to slide with. Also could be a case of players throwing with it for so long that its a comfort thing. Like a tucker with a corn broom.

The spider heads are really nice to sweep with the down side is they cost more to replace and like all heads with the new fabric they dont last long. Used one on a hardline shaft for a few games and was great. Going to try it on the lightspeed shaft next.

The hardline heads are the most budget friendly if youre not sponsored and again still a really good head. I prefer the lightspeed shaft with the hardline head but its all personal preference.

03-07-17 03:38PM
Miz5508 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Miz5508 Click here to Send Miz5508 a Private Message Find more posts by Miz5508 Add Miz5508 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Miz5508
Harvey Hacksmasher

Let me be clearer

quote:
Originally posted by Justintwiss
Hair brooms are more stable because the head does not pivot like some other brooms so it is nice to slide with. Also could be a case of players throwing with it for so long that its a comfort thing.

This is all understood; the aspect I'm questioning is why cut the hair and replace it with a legal brush head? (I know hair is illegal to sweep with but sweeping with a sliding broom, even with the wcf head, is still against the rules).

03-07-17 03:42PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Wood head brooms are much quieter and stable than plastic head brooms. Perhaps they would rather have the fabric to clean their rocks. I may be wrong, maybe ask Mike macewan.

03-07-17 03:48PM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

I would think the reason for the shaved brooms with the compliant head has nothing to do with sweeping in the brier. I think that they are using it when sliding & sweeping the same stone in mixed doubles. They would need a compliant head for that too, but are used to sliding with the more sturdy broom.

03-07-17 04:14PM
Miz5508
Harvey Hacksmasher

I must not have been clear. I actually think people are confused by too much detail. Yes I understand why people use other brooms to slide (duh).

THE ONLY POINT I'M QUESTIONING IN REGARDS TO HAIR BROOMS IS THE REMOVAL OF THE HAIR AND THE ADDITION OF THE SYNTHETIC PAD.

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Wood head brooms are much quieter and stable than plastic head brooms. Perhaps they would rather have the fabric to clean their rocks. I may be wrong, maybe ask Mike macewan.

Not attacking but this answers no part of my question, for example.

03-07-17 04:27PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Miz5508
I must not have been clear. I actually think people are confused by too much detail. Yes I understand why people use other brooms to slide (duh).

THE ONLY POINT I'M QUESTIONING IN REGARDS TO HAIR BROOMS IS THE REMOVAL OF THE HAIR AND THE ADDITION OF THE SYNTHETIC PAD.

Not attacking but this answers no part of my question, for example.

"They would rather have fabric to clean the rock"
Or maybe they remove the hair so there is no possibility of dropping any hairs. The ones I have seen have the hair pulled out, not " shaved"

03-07-17 04:36PM
Miz5508
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'd give that a "plausible, but unlikely." Mainly because some players (John Morris for example) look like they replaced an old school "brownie" fabric head with the wcf head.

03-07-17 04:53PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I'd give that a "plausible, but unlikely." Mainly because some players (John Morris for example) look like they replaced an old school "brownie" fabric head with the wcf head.

The "brownie" head is about 2.5" thick. Makes it awkward.

03-07-17 05:03PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

I assumed these guys had done it so they could clean the rock or more specifically the ice just in front of the hack. Sometimes you see a little something and just want to sweep it away while crouched in the hack. Kevin Koe would have to ask a sweeper to do it for him.

03-07-17 09:36PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I think the reason they are using synthetic, WCF approved pads on sliding brooms is far less technical than some of you think...
It likely has to do with sponsorship, and 'showing' the brush head to help sell the product.

Hell, some even have the brand name stamped on the sliding brush pad...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-09-17 09:59AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Re: Brier brooms!

quote:

Lightspeed. Sorry to the suckas that bought into gen1 on lightspeed; lightspeed XL, size matters?

Please explain this more I do not follow your logic.