Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Interview with USA Curling Chair Rich Lepping

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-08-15 02:56PM
Dean Gemmell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Gemmell Click here to Send Dean Gemmell a Private Message Visit Dean Gemmell's homepage! Find more posts by Dean Gemmell Add Dean Gemmell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Gemmell
Swing Artist

Interview with USA Curling Chair Rich Lepping

After a hiatus, I have a new interview posted at http://www.thecurlingshow.com. It's with Rich Lepping, Chair of USA Curling. Thanks for listening.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-11-15 10:34PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Dean, my podcast feed isn't picking it up again. Using Downcast on iPhone.

09-12-15 11:05AM
Dean Gemmell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Gemmell Click here to Send Dean Gemmell a Private Message Visit Dean Gemmell's homepage! Find more posts by Dean Gemmell Add Dean Gemmell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Gemmell
Swing Artist

Thanks for the heads up, Milo. Working on getting it fixed. Thanks for listening.

Dean

09-12-15 03:08PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

Enjoyed this episode very much, and I salute Rich Lepping for coming on to the podcast.

However, it was unsatisfying because Rich is so new to the job. He really could not say yet what he can do or what he will do. He offered to come back in six months, and I hope he does. He's a good guy, and he wants USA Curling to be successful.

Being a good, hard working guy might not be enough, however, and I was glad that you asked some tough questions and raised some uncomfortable points. The most powerful of those were the inconsistency/transparency questions. And the (lack of) corporate sponsorship questions. I'm not sure that the current leadership (not just Rich) is capable of changing the game there. Hope so.

When you asked Rich about USCA member services he had a tough time articulating the services that USCA provides to clubs and members. I think this is not unique to Rich, everybody struggles with this, and it is a problem.

Glad you touched on "Curling Night in America". Your comments about the guys in the barber shop were similar to my experience. Non-curlers asked me, "Is that bad curling? Why would they broadcast bad curling?"

09-12-15 10:58PM
spiroth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spiroth Click here to Send spiroth a Private Message Find more posts by spiroth Add spiroth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spiroth
Harvey Hacksmasher

Though I appreciate the fact that there were some actual criticisms of the USCA expressed in this interview, it wasn't exactly hard-hitting journalism.

There are two big problems with the USCA. First, the high performance program is moronic and destined to fail. Dean Gemmell raises good points about its lack of transparency, but this is a small part of the problem. No one under the age of 30 will ever will an Olympic curling medal. Sorry, but this is just a fact. Any HP program should be focused 99% on youth curling because this is the only realistic hope that we have to win Olympic medals. When Lepping says that he wants to see results quickly, he is setting himself up for failure.

Secondly, and much more importantly, medals are irrelevant. The only goal of the USCA should be to increase the number of curlers in the USA - especially those curling in dedicated facilities. If we had 100,000 curlers in the US (and this is not an unrealistic goal), we would never be out of the playoffs at world events, and we would would have 100,000 U.S. curlers.

The fact that the HP program is a joke is a just a symptom - not a a cause - of the USCA's problem. The entire organization needs to focus its efforts 100% onto growing grassroots curling. The great thing is is that it can be done. The potential for curling growth in the US is enormous, and it does not depend on Olympic success.

09-14-15 07:43PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by spiroth
No one under the age of 30 will ever will an Olympic curling medal. Sorry, but this is just a fact.

Secondly, and much more importantly, medals are irrelevant. The only goal of the USCA should be to increase the number of curlers in the USA - especially those curling in dedicated facilities. If we had 100,000 curlers in the US (and this is not an unrealistic goal), we would never be out of the playoffs at world events, and we would would have 100,000 U.S. curlers.

Regarding your first paragraph, could you please explain your thinking here and whom you are referring to? It's worth noting that Niklas Edin and Eve Muirhead were both under thirty when they would their Olympic medals last year, and I believe that applies to the entire teams.

Regarding your second paragraph, the reality is both. Every national governing body, whether is the USCA or USA Gymnastics, has a mission to both support elite athletes and to develop the sport at a grassroots level. It certainly is much easier for USAG because they are a larger organization with more funding, but despite their small size USCA still has to play both roles in their sport.

09-14-15 08:04PM
spiroth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spiroth Click here to Send spiroth a Private Message Find more posts by spiroth Add spiroth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spiroth
Harvey Hacksmasher

My mistake. I meant to write over the age of 30. The HP program should be focusing on developing talent that might win medals in 6 to 10 years.

No disrespect is meant to our current group of athletes. I am firmly in the camp that believes that if you win the national championship, you should represent the U.S. at world events. But I think that they are just too far behind the top tier to catch up.

The USCA's (or perhaps the USOC's) obsession with short-term success sets us up for failures and diverts resources away from ambitious, but achievable, long-term goals.

09-14-15 09:42PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by spiroth
The USCA's (or perhaps the USOC's) obsession with short-term success sets us up for failures and diverts resources away from ambitious, but achievable, long-term goals.

I agree with you there. I remember in 2000 Cynthia Potter, one of the most knowledgeable commentators out there talked about the tough situation USA Diving would find itself in a few short years. Hannah Wilkinson had just won the Gold medal, but that was in part because she had the meet of her life while medal favorites faltered. She wrote in 2000 the lack of depth was not sustainable and that it was already too late for 2004, but 2008 success was still attainable. Sure enough, the United States didn't win a single medal in Athens, or even Beijing. But they did implement a long term plan (this might have been after Athens and not Sydney), and in London 2012 the work paid off.

However, I also think that we do have a duty to support the current senior athletes to maximize their performances at major competitions. To not do so is to invite historically low performances, but I'll leave my analogies to USA gymnastics from 1997-2000 for another post.