Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 22 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-29-15 03:31PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Re: relagation

quote:
Originally posted by shaky53
Will curlingzone be covering scores for Scotties relegation Thursday Jan 29 and Friday 30th?

Scotties relegation will not occur until Feb. 13-14 just prior to the start of the Scotties.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-08-15 08:44PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

My thoughts on the field this year and each team:

Canada - obviously rachel homan is one of the best teams in the world right now. she has been amazing here the last 2 years, having lost only once in the last 2 years. for me they are the team to beat. she went undefeated last year and she could do it again. i dont think she will though.

Manitoba - obviously a strong contender, gone are the days when she would have to play in the tiebreaker or 3 v. s 4 game. Think that kaitlyn has a reason for that. She , along with alberta and and canada are the favorites. jenn is hungry for another world title but its interesting to note that since she brought kaitlyn on she hasnt won a scotties.she will have a great chance this year though

British Columbia - Patti has been around for a long time and had to deal with kelly law and kelly scott, finally with neither one in her way in the final she wins. she has had a rough season so im sure the win when it matters feels great.I do think though that patti will be lucky to finish above 500 here. There are a group of teams who might be able to upset and make the playoffs over one of the big 4 but i dont see this team as one

Alberta - val sweeting has had an amazing year and its all the more impressive given the turmoil in line up on her team. she made the final last year and i think she can go deep again and she might get a win over jen or rachel in the round ropbin but when it gets to crunch time rachel and jen raise their games and i dont think val, even at her best can beat jen or rachel at their best.i do also think she is more vulnerable to suffering an upset loss or 2 than jen or rachel are

Saskatchewan - Probably the team with the best chance of anyone to win this outside of alberta, canada or manitoba. However stef has a long history of throwing in cloppy performances when it gets to the playoffs. maybe that will change with this being in saskatchewan but i doubt it. think it will be the same story. expect to see her at the end but she will wind up playing for bronze

Ontario - Julie hastings is a solid team and certainly capable of pulling off an upset win. i think outside the big 4 she is the best team here and if one of those 4 is going to miss playoffs julie will be the one to fill that spot.

Quebec - lauren mann has had a quietly solid season on tour. she brings with her experienced team mates and strong ones. she has not played the top teams a lot though so it remains to be seen how she'd stand up to them.Still this is a stronger team than quebec has sent the last 2 years and they will win their fair share of games

Prince edward island - suzanne birt ..would you consider her a let down? showed a lot of promise as a junior and had a great debut but has done little since. she has the ability to win a lot of games, she could be up there with ontario but will she.

Nova scotia - so much experience with mary anne on the team, one of the greatest seconds to ever play the game and she's doing well at skip. still though the team behind her isnt thats trong and how this team does is going to depend a lot on how mary anne adapts to the conditions.

Newfoundland - dont expect much from them. think they will be lucky to win more than 3 games here.heather has all the experience in the world and is a great shot maker but this lineup isnt her best.

New brunswick - sylvie was knocking on the door in new brunswick for so long and finally got out with andrea crawford not there this year. sylvie is talented, she can make a lot of shots herself and, much like nova scotia how this team does will depend mostly on how sylvie does herself.

playoffs:

canada, manitoba, alberta, saskatchewan

dark horse for playoffs:

ontario, prince edward island

winner:

manitoba

dark horse winner:

saskatchewan

Last edited by misty1 on 02-08-15 at 08:46PM

02-08-15 09:03PM
shaky53 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaky53 Click here to Send shaky53 a Private Message Find more posts by shaky53 Add shaky53 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaky53
Knee-Slider

Scotties relagation

Thanks
for the answers. It seems silly to drag the three teams to Medicine Hat just to tell two to go home. It could have been done earlier so only the winning team would go on.

Last edited by shaky53 on 02-08-15 at 09:23PM

02-08-15 09:17PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

tracy horgan and her rink could very well factor here and if they qualify i would group them with prince edward island and ontario as dark horses to make the playoffs .

02-08-15 10:52PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Re: Scotties relagation

quote:
Originally posted by shaky53
Thanks
for the answers. It seems silly to drag the three teams to Medicine Hat just to tell two to go home. It could have been done earlier so only the winning team would go on.

Shaky, you have to get in line to make that comment!

02-09-15 07:55AM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

If they end up "being dragged" to Medicine Hat they missed the Scotties by a few hundred km's It is being held in Moose Jaw.

02-09-15 01:12PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

I'll add more as the week goes on, but basically Canada, Alberta and Manitoba will show themselves to be the class of the field and be anywhere from 10-1 to 8-3.

Homan 9-2
Sweeting 8-3
Jones 8-3

1v2: Sweeting over Homan
3v4: Jones over (insert name here)
Semi-Final: Homan over Jones
Final: Sweeting over Homan

Darkhorse: Ontario

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-09-15 10:16PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Just watching the replay of last years final, damn I miss Ali K, she was the best.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 02-09-15 at 10:18PM

02-09-15 11:54PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man
Just watching the replay of last years final, damn I miss Ali K, she was the best.

Some evenings I miss curling so much that I call up a game that have on my DVR. Its the final Scotties in Kingston. What a great game that was. When I really need a pick me up I call up the gold medal Olympic game from Socchi. These two usually satisfy me until the next big event. So looking forward to seeing the ladies this coming w/end. Naturally I have my favourites but I applaud the winners no matter who they are. They've trained and worked very hard. Made incredible sacrifices and just love what they are doing. Good Luck to all the participants.

02-11-15 11:42PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

Most Eastern teams have boarded planes today en route to Moose Jaw, I'm getting excited. Very interested to find out who will make it out of relegation this weekend. I think the relegation final will feature Northern Ontario vs Northwest Territories but anything can happen. Guess we'll have to wait and find out

02-12-15 07:27AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

I predict a NONT-Yukon relegation final. Galusha/NWT is the weakest of the 3 teams in my opinion.

02-12-15 10:19AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nickelcity
Alright! So I spoke to Team Tracy Horgan yesterday and they shared some details for the relegation process. So the 3 teams (NO, NT, YT) will face off in a single round robin the day before the Scotties. The top 2 finishers (The 2-0 team and the 1-1 team) will compete in the "final" on Sheet 2 during Draw 1 of the Scotties for a berth in the main event. However, should all teams finish with a 1-1 record, there will be NO tiebreakers per say. Before every game, 2 players will throw (cumulative) draws to the button. The 2 teams with the lowest cumulative draw distances will compete in the final.

Anyone else find it weird that the most insightful description of this relegation mini tournament comes from a third-party source who spoke to one of the teams involved and shared that info on a posting forum? If anyone has a link to something formal from the CCA, I'd love to see it.

If I understand correctly, a three-way 1-1 tie at the end of the three games means there will be no final -- the qualifier chosen simply based on a modified DSC. Yet, a team could beat both their opponents in pre-qual, but then have to play the other 1-1 team they just defeated in a final?

What I missing?

02-12-15 11:30AM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

http://www.tsn.ca/three-teams-battl...s-spot-1.205199

Three teams battling for final Scotties spot

--snips from article:

..Galusha, representing the Northwest Territories, will skip one of three teams in the new round-robin qualifier that begins Thursday night at Mosaic Place. The format is being used at the women's national curling championship for the first time this year.

..Northern Ontario's Tracy Horgan and Sarah Koltun of the Yukon will also play in the qualifier. Up for grabs is the final berth in the 12-team competition beginning Saturday.

..There could also be an interesting scenario if all three teams finish the round robin with 1-1 records. In that case, the tiebreaker would be pre-game draws.

..Northern Ontario faces the Northwest Territories in the opener Thursday night. The Yukon will play its first game against Northern Ontario on Friday morning before taking on the Northwest Territories later in the day.

"Those three games you have to play well," Galusha said. "They're all sudden-death games. You lose one game and you could be out. It'll be interesting, it'll be stressful I'm sure.

02-12-15 02:14PM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

No No NO!

The final game (4th game) is during Draw 1 of the main event and will happen regardless of the results of the mini round robin. So either the 2-0 team v the 1-1 team or the two 1-1 teams that have the best DSC scores. Two members from each team will throw a draw shot challenge after practice before each of their 2 games. The combined 4 draws to the button will be the tiebreaker if all three teams go 1-1 against each other.

Look...at the end of the day, many games are won or lost on a last shot, so I see the DSC to be no different. If you want to win and qualify for the main event...win all 3 games...first 2 will guarantee you into the qualifying game, the 3rd one gets you into the main event.

Everyone knows the format before hand.

02-12-15 03:16PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter

Anyone else find it weird that the most insightful description of this relegation mini tournament comes from a third-party source who spoke to one of the teams involved and shared that info on a posting forum? If anyone has a link to something formal from the CCA, I'd love to see it.

If I understand correctly, a three-way 1-1 tie at the end of the three games means there will be no final -- the qualifier chosen simply based on a modified DSC. Yet, a team could beat both their opponents in pre-qual, but then have to play the other 1-1 team they just defeated in a final?

What I missing?

Sorry about that, I probably could have been a bit more specific with the answer. Then again, as you mentioned, the CCA hasn't provided much clarification on the relegation process either.

02-12-15 03:23PM
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

If this makes it clearer... They way I understood, there are 2 secnarios:

Scenario 1:
Team A: 2-0
Team B: 1-1
Team C: 0-2
*Team A and Team B will compete in the relegation final during Draw 1 of the Scotties on Saturday.

Scenario 2:
Team A: 1-1
Team B: 1-1
Team C: 1-1
*Prior to each team's 2 games, 2 players will throw draws to the button. The 2 teams with the lowest draw shot totals after the round-robin will advance to the final during Draw 1 on Saturday. So let's say the totals were...
Team A: 42cm
Team B: 10cm
Team C: 30cm
*Therefore, teams B and C would compete in the final during Draw 1 due to their better DSC.

That's how I think it works.. Guess we'll wait and see.

02-12-15 06:17PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curler2014
No No NO!

The final game (4th game) is during Draw 1 of the main event and will happen regardless of the results of the mini round robin. ...
Everyone knows the format before hand.

Maybe the players understand the format but it's an overstatement to say everyone does...

quote:
Originally posted by nickelcity

Sorry about that, I probably could have been a bit more specific with the answer. Then again, as you mentioned, the CCA hasn't provided much clarification on the relegation process either.

Appreciate the clarification. Please don't apologize for the CCA's lack of public communication

Would the 2-0 team at least get hammer for the "play-in" game?

02-12-15 06:53PM
mcderm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcderm Click here to Send mcderm a Private Message Find more posts by mcderm Add mcderm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcderm
Harvey Hacksmasher

Folks let's voice our disproval of this...Tracy,Sarah, and Kerry all should be in the show...five sheets instead of four..it's the Canadian thing to do!!

02-12-15 07:54PM
number 1 fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for number 1 fan Click here to Send number 1 fan a Private Message Find more posts by number 1 fan Add number 1 fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
number 1 fan
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by mcderm
Folks let's voice our disproval of this...Tracy,Sarah, and Kerry all should be in the show...five sheets instead of four..it's the Canadian thing to do!!

Totally agree.

02-12-15 08:53PM
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tracy off to a quick start, up 4-1 after 3!

EDIT: She steals 2 more in 4 to make it 6-1. Definitely playing well so far.

Last edited by nickelcity on 02-12-15 at 09:04PM

02-12-15 10:47PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

CurlingGeek will have coverage of the Scotties throughout the week. Our volunteer geek is flying in Friday morning, so if the gods of air travel and wifi are good, our first game will be the Friday 3:30pm CST YK vs NWT pre-qualifier.

The game will be shared here:

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/62

02-12-15 11:04PM
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

Awesome. Thank you so much geek!!!

02-12-15 11:12PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

My predictions for next week:

Sweeting: 9-2
Homan: 9-2
Jones: 8-3
Lawton: 7-4
Horgan: 7-4
Robichaud: 6-5
Knezevic: 5-6
Arsenault: 4-7
Birt: 4-7
Mann: 3-8
Hastings: 2-9
Strong: 2-9

Tiebreaker: Horgan over Lawton
1 vs 2: Homan over Sweeting
3 vs 4: Jones over Horgan
Semi-final: Sweeting over Jones

02-13-15 12:35AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Sasquatch
My predictions for next week:

Sweeting: 9-2
Homan: 9-2
Jones: 8-3
Lawton: 7-4
Horgan: 7-4
Robichaud: 6-5
Knezevic: 5-6
Arsenault: 4-7
Birt: 4-7
Mann: 3-8
Hastings: 2-9
Strong: 2-9

Tiebreaker: Horgan over Lawton
1 vs 2: Homan over Sweeting
3 vs 4: Jones over Horgan
Semi-final: Sweeting over Jones

These predictions are pretty close to mine, but I'd definitely give Hastings more juice in the standings.

02-13-15 12:41AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

It would have been nice if TSN had broadcast the first pre-qualifier for the new system. You'd think it would help them in trying to sell this thing to the fans.... I'll never complain with Cavs V Bulls, but I actually would have preferred this.