Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 22 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-13-15 12:50AM
nenslow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nenslow Find more posts by nenslow Add nenslow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nenslow
Knee-Slider

My predictions for the round robin:
CAN- Homan 10-1
AB Sweeting 9-2
SK Lawton 7-4
MAN Jones 7-4
BC Knezevic 6-5
NS Arsenault 6-5
ONT Hastings 5-6
NONT Horgan 5-6
PEI Birt 5-6
QUE Mann 3-8
NB Robichaud 2-9
NFLD Strong 1-10

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-13-15 07:54AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man
It would have been nice if TSN had broadcast the first pre-qualifier for the new system. You'd think it would help them in trying to sell this thing to the fans.... I'll never complain with Cavs V Bulls, but I actually would have preferred this.

Do you not understand that part of the reason the event wasn't expanded was in part due to TSN not wanting tv coverage expanded. They broadcast 22 draws over 8 days. That is A LOT of work, money and resources. People have lives outside of all this, believe it or not. And contracts are signed years in advance so the airtime was already alloted. That is why when the CCA and TSN negotiate they are in big chunks for 4-5 years because even though we are used to all this curling, it is a big deal to have that much time devoted. We are very, very fortunate that these events get the coverage they do...and the driving force is the ratings...don't ever forget that. Without good ratings, we can have a problem. And how do you get good ratings? Good, or great curling. And how do you get that? .... exactly. The CCA is not as dumb as you think and the CCA is doing it's job the way it needs to be done, as much as you and a lot of people on here don't think they are.

The compromise is that the actual qualification game is during the first draw of the main event. I'm hoping that will be the feature game.

02-13-15 08:53AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

with canada playing saskatchewan that night that will more than likely be the feature game so the final qualifying game could be the feature.

on the other hand manitoba is in action in the night draw as well and we all know how in love TSN is with JJ. Having the chance to show a homan game and a jones game on the same day?

my guess would be canada v.s quebec for the first draw and then manitoba v.s ontario in the night draw although i dont know how you could skip canada v.s saskatchewan. and they might not. if they skip showing saskatchewan all together on the first day that would be bad.

so if we get saskatchewan v.s british columbia in the first draw we'll know were getting manitoba v.s ontario in the 2nd draw

02-13-15 12:29PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curler2014

Do you not understand that part of the reason the event wasn't expanded was in part due to TSN not wanting tv coverage expanded. They broadcast 22 draws over 8 days. That is A LOT of work, money and resources. People have lives outside of all this, believe it or not. And contracts are signed years in advance so the airtime was already alloted. That is why when the CCA and TSN negotiate they are in big chunks for 4-5 years because even though we are used to all this curling, it is a big deal to have that much time devoted. We are very, very fortunate that these events get the coverage they do...and the driving force is the ratings...don't ever forget that. Without good ratings, we can have a problem. And how do you get good ratings? Good, or great curling. And how do you get that? .... exactly. The CCA is not as dumb as you think and the CCA is doing it's job the way it needs to be done, as much as you and a lot of people on here don't think they are.

The compromise is that the actual qualification game is during the first draw of the main event. I'm hoping that will be the feature game.

Sportsnet has expanded it's slam coverage over the years and will continue to expand it's coverage in the future. It's unfortunate that TSN couldn't expand it's own by six hours to cover the pre-qualifiers. It would have been a great introduction to the new format and helped legitimize it to many people. Ratings don't seem to be a problem for TSN as the average curling game has outdrawn hockey this year. All this being said, I appreciate TSN very much and prefer their broadcast package to Sportsnets.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 02-13-15 at 01:27PM

02-13-15 01:25PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Sasquatch
My predictions for next week:

Sweeting: 9-2
Homan: 9-2
Jones: 8-3
Lawton: 7-4
Horgan: 7-4
Robichaud: 6-5
Knezevic: 5-6
Arsenault: 4-7
Birt: 4-7
Mann: 3-8
Hastings: 2-9
Strong: 2-9

Tiebreaker: Horgan over Lawton
1 vs 2: Homan over Sweeting
3 vs 4: Jones over Horgan
Semi-final: Sweeting over Jones
Final: Sweeting over Homan

The Knezevic/Hastings/Horgan projections relative to each other are absurd. Hastings was 2-0 versus Horgan on the circuit; Knezevic looked weak in the BC final.

Even if one were to consider lack of Scotties experience and downgrade Hastings on that basis, there are far more reasons to do so for Knezevic. Myself, I think Hastings will outperform Horgan, based on competitive grit, but I haven't seen Horgan this year to see if that team has improved. And there will be an element of randomness in the upper middle to middle of the field give or take 2 games. I just don't think Knezevic is likely to be part of the chase given the limited look I had on that team.

It's clear that Hastings is underrated, might work to their advantage with Homan in the spotlight for Ontario.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 02-13-15 at 01:38PM

02-13-15 01:35PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

In terms of "mental toughness" Horgan did beat Jones in a final earlier this year, although Jennifer literally left her team high and dry after the sixth end. But I do agree with you, I think Hastings lack of experience is making people underestimate her. I'd bet it's also a commentary on her age, ie "If it took the women twenty years to get to a Scottie how good can she really be.." She's certainly not a world beater, but she'll be competitive. I'd put her between 5-6 to 7-4.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 02-13-15 at 01:44PM

02-13-15 01:49PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man
In terms of "mental toughness" Horgan did beat Jones in a final earlier this year, although Jennifer literally left her team high and dry after the sixth end. But I do agree with you, I think Hastings lack of experience is making people underestimate her, which is also probably a commentary on her age.

Parity beyond the top couple and bottom couple of teams makes this a hard order to project, but I think it will be clear Hastings is in the mix whether she wins enough or not. And I think Horgan's lack of success at her last Scotties gives people reason to expect Hastings to struggle, even though they are two very different teams that will succeed or fail for totally different reasons.

02-13-15 01:59PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Huge news!

Sherri Singler has suffered a sprained ankle and will not participate in the STOH. Lawton has put current 5th player Stephanie Schmidt in at 2nd, with Lana Vey sitting on the bench as the team's new 5th. This late-breaking news, plus the so-so year Lawton's team has had on tour, might open the door for a different team to join the "big 3" in the playoffs. I feel awful for Sherri, what horrible timing to experience an injury like this.

02-13-15 02:05PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
Huge news!

Sherri Singler has suffered a sprained ankle and will not participate in the STOH. Lawton has put current 5th player Stephanie Schmidt in at 2nd, with Lana Vey sitting on the bench as the team's new 5th. This late-breaking news, plus the so-so year Lawton's team has had on tour, might open the door for a different team to join the "big 3" in the playoffs. I feel awful for Sherri, what horrible timing to experience an injury like this.

thats terrible. i feel so bad for her to have this happen now

02-13-15 02:10PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Parity beyond the top couple and bottom couple of teams makes this a hard order to project, but I think it will be clear Hastings is in the mix whether she wins enough or not. And I think Horgan's lack of success at her last Scotties gives people reason to expect Hastings to struggle, even though they are two very different teams that will succeed or fail for totally different reasons.

I agree. I'd put Hastings anywhere between 5-6 to 7-4. And the door has been opened even further now with this unfortunate Singler injury.

02-13-15 02:12PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Very unfortunate for the Lawton team.

02-13-15 02:30PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Huge news!

Wow. It's been a lineup crazy year for Lawton. At least Steph has played with Sherry and Marliese all season so it's not like there's a newbie coming in.

02-13-15 04:17PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im not sure if it will impact team lawton's playoff hopes though. as another poster pointed out this player coming on is well known to the team and has been playing with them in stef's absence this season.

02-13-15 04:58PM
BurnedStone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurnedStone Click here to Send BurnedStone a Private Message Find more posts by BurnedStone Add BurnedStone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BurnedStone
Harvey Hacksmasher

Poor Sherri

HUGE IMPACT! Team Lawton is now vulnerable to fawns. 6' Sensational Sherri is one of the best sweepers in the world and the best on her team.

Last edited by BurnedStone on 02-13-15 at 09:36PM

02-13-15 06:41PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

The Knezevic/Hastings/Horgan projections relative to each other are absurd. Hastings was 2-0 versus Horgan on the circuit; Knezevic looked weak in the BC final.

Even if one were to consider lack of Scotties experience and downgrade Hastings on that basis, there are far more reasons to do so for Knezevic. Myself, I think Hastings will outperform Horgan, based on competitive grit, but I haven't seen Horgan this year to see if that team has improved. And there will be an element of randomness in the upper middle to middle of the field give or take 2 games. I just don't think Knezevic is likely to be part of the chase given the limited look I had on that team.

It's clear that Hastings is underrated, might work to their advantage with Homan in the spotlight for Ontario.

I had a feeling people would disagree with my prediction of Hastings' record. It would not take a lot to convince me that Hastings will do better than I predicted and Knezevic will do worse. Like someone else has already said, after the top 4 the other teams are hard to predict. I am not that familiar with the Knezevic team, but I did like what I saw from Patti herself when she filled in as an alternate last Scotties. Hastings has the potential to do well and I hope she does. It's always hard to predict what a rookie team will do at the Scotties.

I do stick by my prediction that Horgan will do well in Moose Jaw. Lawton on the other hand may struggle a bit without Singler. She added a lot to the team in terms of always performing consistently and having a positive attitude. She should still finish with a winning record but I don't know if she'll be a top contender anymore.

02-13-15 07:53PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Huge news!

That's sports, that's life. Move on.

02-13-15 08:19PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i think people here are underestimating julie for sure. But this is a very strong ontario team who has been hanging around and close to getting out of ontario for a while. for the most part though there has always been someone there that has stopped them. middaugh, goring, homan, mcarville, horgan.

thats not saying hastings is weak but ontario has arguably the greatest depth in womens curling across the country next to only alberta.

this team, if they dont let nerves get to them will be surprising some people. there really isnt any team there outside that big 4 that they cant beat and even in that group of 4 i think she'd have chances against sweeting and lawton. those 2 are more prone to the lapse in form and one odd loss

ontario and prince edward island for me are the 2 teams the top 4 have most to fear from

british columbia..patti afforded herself well in her appearances last year but im just not sure this team is strong enough to really make noise here. of course it is hard to know because they hardly ever leave BC but that could be a problem too

i would be pretty surprised if BC ended up ranked higher than ontario.

02-13-15 08:21PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

hotshots

final 8 are in:

kaitlyn lawes - 25
rebecca atkinson- 24
christina black - 24
joanne courtney - 24
heather strong - 23
jenniffer jones - 22
christy tremblay - 20
stacey smith - 20

02-14-15 12:02AM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Did the relegation teams get to try ?

Shame on Warren !

02-14-15 08:31AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Everybody stay warm and travel safe today. The weather is not good in SK with snow and blowing snow. A typical Saskatchewan welcome. (I wonder what this is going to do to the ice? Storms usually bring humidity problems.)

02-14-15 09:39AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

first 3 draws have been announced:

1. northern ontario v.s northwest territories

2. saskatchewan v.s canada

3. alberta v.s nova scotia

4. newfoundland v.s prince edward island

surprising but varying schedule.

02-14-15 10:01AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Island Roger
Did the relegation teams get to try ?

Shame on Warren !

Haha - Shame on Warren - ummm...he doesn't make those decisions, but keep thinking that.

And yes they did get to try for the Hot Shots, but not surprising, they didn't make top 8, or they didn't participate - it's not a mandatory thing and it's not uncommon for people to skip it.

02-14-15 12:13PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Thumbs up

I think it's great that NO and the NWT are the first TV match-up. Nice gesture to celebrate their entry into the Scotties.

02-14-15 12:35PM
friendlycanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for friendlycanuck Click here to Send friendlycanuck a Private Message Find more posts by friendlycanuck Add friendlycanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
friendlycanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Shame about Sherri Singler. She is the glue that holds the team together and this will hurt their playoff chances. A 7-4 team suddenly looks vulnerable.

Wild 11-10 EE win for the veteran Galusha over young upstart Koltun to get to the relegation final. Very nice to see TSN pick up the relegation round final. Should be an offensive juggernaut. Expect Horgan to win to clinch the 12th and final SToH spot.

As fantastic as TSNs curling coverage already is, with five channels and all equipment in place, it would be great to see TSN pick these relegation games up in the future. Would get far better ratings than pre-taped poker, darts, ESPN host shows with chest-thumping drivel and NBA top-10 lists that dominate their regular programming schedule.

Wonder if the relegation round games are being held at the actual venue. If so, this is a significant advantage heading into the SToH.

Spoke to several coaches last year in Montreal who reaffirmed they only had one practice session and the Hot Shots on one sheet heading in. Hardly much experience when heaving to learn the ice at three unique times on four different sheets. Mix in a blizzard and cold snap, and the ice conditions can really change. Teams that pick up early will have a distinct edge.

Would not worry about TSN finding a way to get the obligatory five to seven of 11 round robin Jones games in. Manitoba only plays once in the first three draws. Will likely start Sunday night vs. Saskatchewan and every second/third draw thereafter.

Would much rather see TSN focus on games featuring Sweeting, Homan, Horgan (if they get in) and Lawton. Three fantastic young teams - two arguably having betting touring seasons than Jones - that will be dominating the SToH landscape for many years to come ... and the sudden hometown underdogs.

02-14-15 03:37PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

what a horrible display so far this game

just the same kind of miss like 4 times in a row

cheryl in the commenting booth