Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-05-16 09:53AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

I'm pretty sure that if Epping beats Howard in the Page 1 v 2 game and Howard makes it back to the CF that Team Howard gets the hammer due to their RR finish.

In any case.

It would have been understandable if Team Howard's loss of Wayne Middaugh had been a crippling blow. Middaugh along with Kevin Martin are arguably the two deadliest shooters in the modern game.

Instead it seems to have given them a spark that they've been missing for the last two years. Sometimes happens that way. The best player goes down and the rest of the team picks up their game. Mind you, ask the Montreal Canadians, that ain't always the case.

I also think that there is another factor at play. As I say I haven't been able to watch any games. But I was at the curling club last night and talking to the boys about the games they've seen and they all remarked on how many misses they've seen. And bad ones. I.e. Misses we wouldn't be happy with. Now we ain't terrible. Top division in a 50 team league. But we've all played against a number of these guys over the years and we know first hand, they're just better than we are. So.

If they are having that many bad misses it's got to be the ice. To me at least it really is that simple. And yes the ice is the same for everyone. But.

Epping plays a high risk game and relies on making extremely precise shots on his rocks to reap the rewards of the angles going his way, or to get out of trouble when they aren't. With the kind of ice it seems to me that they have this week that kind of game can more easily backfire.

Howard on the other hand grew up forty years ago curling on wildly differing ice conditions from rink to rink. As a result they have a wide range of styles, all subtly nuanced, that allows them to adapt the risk level of their strategy to the ice conditions.

So it could be that Glenn and Rich are managing the ice conditions a little better and so the fact that Epping has more up weight weapons at vice and skip is being negated.

Manitoba Legend, what do you think?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-05-16 10:27AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

.. emotion weighs in

does Epping get "rattled" ?? ...I know Glenn does not

Ashley Howard winning SK Scotties ..has some effect on uncle Glenn..

the front end are really fired / working super hard..
when you are a daily called-in sub..never been to a Brier..
gotta count for some added fuel....

02-05-16 10:37AM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: .. emotion weighs in

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
does Epping get "rattled" ?? ...I know Glenn does not

Ashley Howard winning SK Scotties ..has some effect on uncle Glenn..

the front end are really fired / working super hard..
when you are a daily called-in sub..never been to a Brier..
gotta count for some added fuel....

Spencer? A daily called-in sub? Uh? He played full time with Glenn to start the year. In fact the team had better results with Scott, Adam, Rich and Glenn compared to when Wayne was in the line up. The OCA bent over backwards to make sure Glenny got Spencer as his sub too.

02-05-16 12:04PM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: ^^^^^^

quote:
Glenn Howard has to request Adam from the sub pool
for every day to be played..
read it...

I are suggesting that Spencer is a random sub they are getting his not... Do you think its just coincidence that Adam Spencer just happens to be in the sub pool every day? It was all organized in advanced with the OCA as soon as news broke about Wayne.

Having to play with Spencer is not a hindrance at all, and as I said, when he played with them on the regular at the start of the year they actually performed better as a team compared to when Wayne came back.

02-05-16 12:34PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Question huh

I am well aware of the season's history about Adam Spencer

How was it "all arranged" with the OCA since daily
requests is the rule?

My major point was...

Spencer is very fired up to possibly get to his first Brier.

Last edited by HotRocks on 02-05-16 at 12:40PM

02-05-16 12:56PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

You gotta be stoked for Adam. One of those many very good curlers who for whatever reason just never ended up on one of the super teams.....until now.....a pretty good 'everyman' story line.

02-05-16 01:03PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Also. At my club there has been a long back and forth debate about sparing rules with accompanying rule changes depending on the composition of the committee.

The boys in the A Division have always felt as follows. What we want is the best competition possible. So if you have Glen Howard as a house guest and want him to play for your team one night we say bring it on. And "Hell yes! Of course he can skip." As I say what we are looking for is the best challenge available.

Surely this is also what the OCA is trying to encourage as well. I.e. Ontario fielding the best teams possible so as to generate the best representative possible.

02-05-16 01:22PM
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: huh

quote:
I am well aware of the season's history about Adam Spencer

How was it "all arranged" with the OCA since daily
requests is the rule?

My major point was...

Spencer is very fired up to possibly get to his first Brier.

Spare lists don't usually have out of towners on them.... That was my point. Also, if any other team showed up and said "put our fifth on the spare list and make sure only we get him each day" that the OCA would tell them where to go. Its preferential treatment. If there are rules you enforce them equally. If the rules end up having a flaw you change them when they are suppose to change, not in the middle to benefit specific teams. I'm all for better competition, but that is not what the OCA is doing here.

02-05-16 02:06PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Mark Bice throwing lead rocks and Tyler Morgan skipping.. Has Bice curled so poorly that his confidence is shot and he needsa break from skipping.. or the Bice team is mathematically eliminated and decided to change things around for ****s and giggles

02-05-16 02:31PM
red rocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for red rocks Click here to Send red rocks a Private Message Find more posts by red rocks Add red rocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
red rocks
Harvey Hacksmasher

Frans with a 4 ender to start game against epping

02-05-16 03:24PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I thought Fanset was curling for Tuck? Now he is curling with Frans? Epping's team needs to stop leaving him those hero shots...great for TV but hard to be consistent on.

I think Richard Hart is the best vice for Glen...yes he did ok with Wayne but not the last few years. They seem to be very much in sync.

Yes. to quote ML - "Old Glenny" will know how to adjust to ice conditions more than say someone who plays mainly on arena ice. Although I think Epping does his fair share of club curling too.

Again it is the rest of the team that needs to step up....

02-05-16 03:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Is Epping's goose cooked?

I think it might be. i think, as i said earlier epping's team is cooling off. they started off on fire but are back to their usual selves. they peaked to soon im afraid and i cant see them winning now.or maybe im being to pessimistic

but if they are its probably going to come the long way. they dont like they are beating glenn right now thats for sure

02-05-16 04:04PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: huh

quote:
Originally posted by SooCurler

Spare lists don't usually have out of towners on them.... That was my point. Also, if any other team showed up and said "put our fifth on the spare list and make sure only we get him each day" that the OCA would tell them where to go. Its preferential treatment. If there are rules you enforce them equally. If the rules end up having a flaw you change them when they are suppose to change, not in the middle to benefit specific teams. I'm all for better competition, but that is not what the OCA is doing here.

What precisely is the rule not being enforced here? What evidence do you have that the OCA would heed a request as you've stated above? What makes you think that any other team could not request to have Spencer? The other teams surely could, but don't, because they're not a-holes.

It's fine to say that the Howard team is better off with Spencer over Middaugh, but it is not an unfair advantage to have your third break his leg before you have a chance to get a replacement. What is happening here is within the spirit of the game of curling. Surely, that is what matters.

02-05-16 04:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

epping scores 3 twice and finds himself up10-8 now , playing 10

glenn helped him out. with balsdon losing john can lock up 2nd if he can hold on and win

Last edited by misty1 on 02-05-16 at 04:49PM

02-05-16 04:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

1 v.s 2 set

epping v.s howard it is

i'll take howard..again

4th is up for grabs and there could be multiple tiebreakers

02-05-16 08:04PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Epping closes out strong with a 9-1 rout of Tuck

02-05-16 08:52PM
jays2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jays2 Click here to Send jays2 a Private Message Find more posts by jays2 Add jays2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jays2
Harvey Hacksmasher

If Epping doesn't win this thing I wonder who's Vice he will steal next year.

02-05-16 09:09PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Some of the bottom feeders should be truly embarrassed about their performances this week. Tuck was interviewed early in the week and he said something like his highlight of the tankards he'd been in was meeting fans after the game and drinking. His performance against Epping tonight was brutal.

02-05-16 09:33PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: 1 v.s 2 set

quote:

Husky Harris appears to have checked out - although he still has a sniff at 3rd or 4th - didn't put up much resistance vs. Higgs this afternoon!

More than a sniff...solid in 4th place!

02-05-16 10:26PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Some of the bottom feeders should be truly embarrassed about their performances this week. Tuck was interviewed early in the week and he said something like his highlight of the tankards he'd been in was meeting fans after the game and drinking. His performance against Epping tonight was brutal.
I don't think this comment is fair at all. All of these teams were good enough to qualify as the very best from their region.

In your example, the Tuck team were quite competitive, losing 3 or 4 of the games by just 1 point. I watched their 2 PM game this afternoon in Brantford as they took the opposition to an extra end win. On the same draw, Mike Harris was beat up and shut out in 4 ends, and they qualified for the playoffs! Also on that draw, Balsdon had Howard on the ropes and was fractions of an inch on a last rock hit away from blowing them out. That's curling though.

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 02-05-16 at 10:28PM

02-06-16 12:43AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Re: .. emotion weighs in

quote:
Originally posted by SooCurler

Spencer? A daily called-in sub? Uh? He played full time with Glenn to start the year. In fact the team had better results with Scott, Adam, Rich and Glenn compared to when Wayne was in the line up. The OCA bent over backwards to make sure Glenny got Spencer as his sub too.

The spare list is filled with local curlers, there's a certain restriction on how close they are to the event, something like within an hour's drive distance. Local does not equal local club only.

Top ranking team gets first pick of the spare pool. Glenn has had the best record all week, so he's had the first choice of the spare pool each draw. Team Bailey/Frans/Fanset has done the same thing this week, but with a lesser record, have had 2nd choice.

With Jay Allen of the local committee in the event, the OCA took control of the spare pool to avoid any conflict of interest, though have always had final say over the spare pool.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-06-16 07:37AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Ill say it again when Mike Harris who has curled 20 games this year and hardly competitive at all the last few years can make the playoffs either the young talent pool in Ontario just isn't there or they still need time to develop into contenders..
1) Jake Walker has made it to a Tankard once...

2) No Ontario mens junior team since 2012 has made it to at least the semifinals of the junior playoffs

I don't see another "Golden era" anytime soon.. Not even close... Not like it was in the early 90s to about 2001 when the depth in Ontario mens was a good as any province in the country

Epping just needs to be patient I don't see Epping having a equally worthy contender.. Walker or Squires or Bice may come close at the most.. Eppings biggest threat would be his current vice Matt Camm if Camm ever left him

HILARIOUS STAT ROUND ROBIN PLAY 2016 ONTARIO MENS TANKARD

Manitoba Legend posts in this thread ...17
Manitoba Legend ends watched with his own eyes.....0

02-06-16 07:51AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Page Playoffs

quote:

Should be a natural progression via playoff seeding.

ie. Balsdon eliminates Homerun Harris, Howard takes down Epping, Epping knocks out Balsdon and in the finale Howard hammers Epping!

The only game I can see flipping the order is Balsdon taking out Epping in the semi-final.

sadly i agree and id almost expect balsdon to win the semi if epping loses to howard again

02-06-16 07:54AM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Or Mike Harris is a helluva lot better than your giving him credit for. Imagine if he worked at it !

02-06-16 08:09AM
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

I saw Mike curl a few times at the 2009 Tankard... No playoff appearance for him at that tankard.. Decent 5-4 record.. 50 points won and 59 points given up..

Id say the depth at that 2009 tankard was a bit better than the current one.. And in 2009 the Wayne Middaugh/John Epping/Scott bailey trio wasnt at that 2009 tankard