Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-18-15 07:15PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Saw Dean G. curling on 6th Avenue in New York City on national television today. Fabulous grassroots public relations work! Wonderful to see some of the curlers from the new Lakeside Club in Brooklyn and the shout-out to Curl NYC.

Crossing my fingers the New York clubs receive a good percentage of the proceeds from the first Manhattan Curling Cup.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/39962663...?#sp=show-clips

http://imager.2dialog.com/images/us...cf361267153.pdf

And, just can't help it... wondering if USCA has funding now for our championship webstream and what were the costs and benefits of sending an HP team and coaching staff to Glasgow or the Manitoba Open in Winnepeg this weekend.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-18-15 08:24PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
And, just can't help it... wondering if USCA has funding now for our championship webstream and what were the costs and benefits of sending an HP team and coaching staff to Glasgow or the Manitoba Open in Winnepeg this weekend.

To play quality opponents ahead of the National Championships. I wonder why Russia, Korea, Switzerland, Sweden or Scotland even bothered to play then...

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-20-15 11:52AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Watching the Jr. Nationals now.....wondering if TESN can use that format as a "Plan B" fallback position.

Can't believe we're at the prospect of going backwards. Then again it was the USCA who bought CurlTV subscriptions.

What next?

---Audiocasts?
---TSN's 3"x3" 2400 baud modem videos?
---Real Time curling board (rocks, commentary, score)?
---Friggen Shot Tracker?

Ahhhhhh, those were the days.

01-20-15 11:53AM
Dean Gemmell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Gemmell Click here to Send Dean Gemmell a Private Message Visit Dean Gemmell's homepage! Find more posts by Dean Gemmell Add Dean Gemmell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Gemmell
Swing Artist

The webcast fundraising goal has been reached.

Thanks to all who supported this effort. Looking forward to a great Nationals in Kalamazoo.

Dean

01-20-15 01:08PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Excellent job Dean and Dave.

And for those that were saying they would never donate on this thread, please do not watch the webcast of Nationals, that would make you a hypocrite.

01-20-15 01:57PM
Dorycurls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dorycurls Click here to Send Dorycurls a Private Message Find more posts by Dorycurls Add Dorycurls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dorycurls
Harvey Hacksmasher

Reaching the goal is awesome news.

01-20-15 04:42PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Thanks to all that made this happen and the last anonymous donor who stepped up to the plate and put it over the top. I know that they are not on CZ but hopefully word will reach them.

JH

01-20-15 05:23PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl

And for those that were saying they would never donate on this thread, please do not watch the webcast of Nationals, that would make you a hypocrite.

YEah, no it wouldn't...

About all the USCA does for the average member is provide ways to see American Championship curling.

They botched the contract with NBC (highlights on a multi week delay...really?), so all we get is the webstream.

For my regular dues, I'm entitled to that much. The fact that they wouldn't (not couldn't...wouldn't...) find it in the budget to do this without passing the hat is borderline fiduciary mismanagement.

And for the record...I've made my donation...just not via the USCA, as no one ever answered my question as to how we could be assured they wouldn't divert dollar 20,001 to more HP foolishness.

01-20-15 11:35PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:

jhcurl, this quote makes me angry as for a rare occurrence I at least partially agree with Alan MacNeil. But in all seriousness, please learn what the word hypocrite means, as you are not even close.

I am glad the money was raised, but I will be honest is saying I did not contribute, but will still watch. I did not contribute, because I felt conflicted by the USCA pulling the funding in the first place and then asking us to donate to get what we want. I feel like the USCA banked on the fact that the money would be raised, so they basically took advantage of us. And then if the money was not raised, they could easily use it as justification for a dues hike (we need $20K, about 20K curlers in US, sounds like a $1 dues hike there).

I don't have an issue with the TESN guys being paid for a service they provide, seems like good business there. And if the money was genuinely not there to pay for it, then the USCA made a good financial decision. But the situation just makes me feel like they tried to pull a fast one over on me.

01-21-15 09:04AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Thanks to Dean G and helpers for getting this done

Budgets are all about priorities and like others I am hugely disappointed in the choices the USCA is making. However, let's not lose sight of the goodness that has happened here.

A few dedicated board members went outside the system to get this done. I commend them and do not have enough "thank you"s - can only offer a virtual high-five! In addition to funding the webstream ...

Introduced a new source of revenue to curling with maybe the first major crowdsourcing effort. We need more traditional national sponsorships for curling, here's hoping that we learned something to help kickstart our modern funding reach beyond USCA curlers.

The web is the future of broadcasting, that much is clear. Let's hope that the USCA keeps learning to become more effective intheir online presence. This should be a formal part of the board's activity.

A few big hopes here, but thanks to DG and Co that is more than we had a couple of months ago. Thanks!

01-21-15 09:50AM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

jcurl, you make some pretty strong statements on this thread and that's fine. Makes the forum interesting.

Your last statement was was not one of your best.

It could be argued that everyone who pays USCA dues has indirectly funded the Championships and associated webcast. It was the USCA board's decision not to fund the webcast, not the individual members.

01-21-15 10:23AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Curlrock
jcurl, you make some pretty strong statements on this thread and that's fine. Makes the forum interesting.

Your last statement was was not one of your best.

It could be argued that everyone who pays USCA dues has indirectly funded the Championships and associated webcast. It was the USCA board's decision not to fund the webcast, not the individual members.

To make one thing perfectly clear, the USCA board DOES NOT create the budget or decide what does or does not get funded. The board sets policy and the USCA staff run the operations.

To better understand the roles of the USCA board and USCA staff you can read the bylaws that were adopted last year. There is a webinar available and the actual bylaws as well here
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...ling/Governance

JH

01-21-15 10:45AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:

To make one thing perfectly clear, the USCA board DOES NOT create the budget or decide what does or does not get funded. The board sets policy and the USCA staff run the operations.

JH

That paragraph did not make anything even a hint of more clear for me, and although I don't understand what you are trying to say, I don't know why it matters. You can argue semantics of who did what, but the reality is that the USCA board and the USCA make up the USCA. Someone decided at the USCA pulled the funding, and I still stand by everythign I said above.

01-21-15 11:30AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:

H

Truth or falsehood:

If the Board had said to the staff "You will fund the webcasting", it would have been put into the budget.

If it's false...then the USCA board has no point in existing.

01-21-15 11:32AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Seriously, people? We're so mad at the USCA that we can't even celebrate some good news?

JH does have some legitimate points, even though I would have phrased them differently. IF somebody publicly denounced the fund raising effort and discouraged others from donating; yeah, it would be hypocritical to then watch the webstream. People not donating for a myriad of reason is quite understandable, but denouncing the effort wouldn't have been cool.

JH also points out that the budgeting process (and most other processes) have changed within the USCA. The new governance bylaws strive for a more professional organization with more of the decisions being made by full time staff rather than volunteer board members. This includes budgeting. That being said, the full time staff still gets general direction from the board.

So now is the time for dues paying curlers to make their thoughts known.

Setting aside that I enjoy the TESN webcast and consider it a significant return on my dues, I'm coming to look at this in an entirely new light: Do you think the webcast is an important tool for the future of USA curling? I most certainly believe that it could be. It will need to grow. It might only be a step in the right direction; paving the path to really big things...but I think it's important. Very important. Now that I'm not associated with the webcast, I'm feeling more free to be vocal about it.

Ben Tucker

01-21-15 12:25PM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

So jcurl uses semantics to defend his statement that sounds like it came from a 10 year old.

01-21-15 01:33PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

OK - I want/demand the USCA to fund the webstream every year until the time when all the games are available live on TV. And if they need to cut HPP money to do so fine. Do I tell that to the Board or the USCA staff?

Jason

01-21-15 01:46PM
Dean Gemmell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Gemmell Click here to Send Dean Gemmell a Private Message Visit Dean Gemmell's homepage! Find more posts by Dean Gemmell Add Dean Gemmell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Gemmell
Swing Artist

HPP dollars can't be used to fund the web stream. The USOC is very specific about what their money goes towards.

I'm not going to debate the USCA budgeting process here. Clearly, there is strong support for funding webcasts in the future. Fact is, there is a lot of support for funding a lot of things. Staff, the Board, the membership, the HP athletes — all would like more revenue in order to deliver more. We can all work towards achieving that.

For the moment, I'd like to thank the people who stepped up and helped make the webcast possible this year. I'd also like to steal from my friend Tuck and suggest we focus on some positives for at least a few days.

01-21-15 01:48PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

Webcasts are important for existing curlers to be able to watch an event. As a means of exposure or recruiting or new curlers or exposure? Not as much. Curling needs to be on TV, broadcast and/or subscription, if you want to reach people who aren't actively searching for it.

01-21-15 01:54PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Congratulations guys! This is great news.

01-21-15 02:41PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by MCC_PE
Webcasts are important for existing curlers to be able to watch an event. As a means of exposure or recruiting or new curlers or exposure? Not as much. Curling needs to be on TV, broadcast and/or subscription, if you want to reach people who aren't actively searching for it.

And I'm fairly certain the USCA knows this. Hence the upcoming Curling Night in America.

-BA

01-21-15 07:28PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

The USCA needs to unite curlers using excessive communication and PR. The members need to stop this negative comments and try to be express concerns in a positive manner. Alan can't continue his continual diatribe and jhcurl can't be calling us hypocrites. We need to get along.

Let's try treat each other using the curling spirit and camaraderie we possess on the ice in our communications on Curlingzone or any other social media realizing we ALL want what is best for curling although we will never agree all the time.

Give the board and USCA management respect while using proper channels to express your concerns.

And the USCA needs to know there are way too many curlers disgruntled with a lot of what is happening. If they do know it they need to work to do something about it. Perhaps communicate back to the regional associations who can use club reps to disseminate it to the membership?

I for one am looking forward to another excellent webcast from TESN, thank everyone for helping out here.

01-21-15 08:29PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
The USCA needs to unite curlers using excessive communication and PR. The members need to stop this negative comments and try to be express concerns in a positive manner. Alan can't continue his continual diatribe and jhcurl can't be calling us hypocrites. We need to get along.

Let's try treat each other using the curling spirit and camaraderie we possess on the ice in our communications on Curlingzone or any other social media realizing we ALL want what is best for curling although we will never agree all the time.

Give the board and USCA management respect while using proper channels to express your concerns.

And the USCA needs to know there are way too many curlers disgruntled with a lot of what is happening. If they do know it they need to work to do something about it. Perhaps communicate back to the regional associations who can use club reps to disseminate it to the membership?

I for one am looking forward to another excellent webcast from TESN, thank everyone for helping out here.

Great post. Communicate with your regional directors. Remember that the clubs are now direct members of the USCA. Create a liason from your club to the USCA for communication. Attend a USCA board meeting, attend the members assembly. The members should have a voice. Email to USCA staff to create the communication channel. I communicate all the positive and negative comments to the board chair, his contact info is also available on the USCA website. The board is listening and trying to do the best for US curling.

My negative comments are mostly directed to those that would pull down the USCA. Can the USCA get better, yes. The board and the staff are working hard everyday to make it happen. One example is Dean and Dave stepping up and making sure the Nats would be streamed. Go back and read the thread, they pledged to cover any short fall out of their own pockets. Thanks to a lot of folks they did not have to do that.

Posting here is one way to communicate, expressing concerns and questions directly to the board/staff is another. Contact your directors and make sure your voice is heard.

Contact info for all directors and staff can be found on the USCA website.

Jeff Hannon
GNCC director

01-21-15 10:27PM
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well said Jeff. Thanks for the info.

01-22-15 08:47AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by B Anderson

And I'm fairly certain the USCA knows this. Hence the upcoming Curling Night in America.

-BA

I was referring to (and should have quoted) Tuck saying webcasts will be needed to grow. Webcasts aren't critical for growth right now and may not be for some time.

Curling Night in America is a good step. It would be a better step if it were to show Nationals, or an event where people who only watch curling every four years will recognize the teams.