W: USA Womens Club National Championship
M: USA Mens Club National Championship
M: Listowel Mixed Doubles Cashspiel
W: Simms Home Hardware U18 Womens Championship
M: Yukon Senior Mens Championship
W: Swiss Curling Championship
M: Swiss Curling Championship
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Women's Olympics

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-16-18 07:09PM
Buzzzardd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buzzzardd Click here to Send Buzzzardd a Private Message Find more posts by Buzzzardd Add Buzzzardd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buzzzardd
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone know why CC installed their own coach and 5th player to Team Holman? I am not sure how it could ever help, but we are seeing first hand, how it can destroy an established team dynamic.

No knock against Renee, she might be the greatest coach in the world, but she has not gone through the highs and lows with the team. She has not earned, nor does she have, the respect of the team. Emma's comment at the fifth end break was "why would she say that", followed by laughter from herself, Rachel and Cheryl.

Every time there has been a time out called, Renee has come out and the team has missed the next shot. In the tenth end against Denmark, she got them to change from a peel nose hit for the win, to a tougher pick. Then they go on to miss.

It seems really strange to me, that someone who has never coached this team, would be added just before the biggest event of their lives. Do you think the Jays, Raptors or Leafs, would change coaches, when they get to their league championships.

I hope Manitoba Legend is right, that she won't come out during time outs anymore. Her input is obviously not working and something has to change.

Winning eight straight games to win the gold medal is not out of the question for this talented team. But I think they have to do it their way, the way that got them there in the first place.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-16-18 07:10PM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

The Dane's should have removed their rock immediately, you say?

Nope. I didn't say that at all.

02-16-18 07:12PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

In the right can still be wrong

Mike and Joan each did their scripted 1/2 back peddle which I'm sure they were forced to do by CC and the broadcasters. . Said they didn't agree with it but "It's in the rules"
Joan said 20 years ago no question remove it. That's irrelevant in TODAY'S curling.
Still lost respect of the players and most viewers, especially skip of Denmark based on her remarks and snide grin of disbelief in her interview with Jones.

02-16-18 07:53PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Just replayed the video and could not hear emma say anything in fifth end break about coaches, what was said?

02-17-18 07:58AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Just replayed the video and could not hear emma say anything in fifth end break about coaches, what was said?

It was after the coach had walked away, and it sounded as if Emma said, "I'm sorry, what did she say?" which generated laughter from the team. I have no idea if it was in reference to the coach or not, but the coach had indeed just made a pep talk to the team about "clarity."

Team Canada finally put it together against Team USA, and Team USA really helped by playing quite poorly. The rest of the field won't do that, and I just hope that at the end of the round robin, Canada is not going to rue that loss to Denmark. That's the one that never should have happened.

02-17-18 08:29AM
nelski is online now Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I was just reviewing the standings and it came to mind how many times GBR has started world and Olympic events weak in the standings and clawed back to the medal round. Many. CDA is in the thick now, and out of the funk, "the start of our come-back" as they said themesleves at the end of the USA game. Good Luck. #GoCdaGo

02-17-18 08:32AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

Does anybody have an answer to this question: If the Danish burned rock had been the last rock of the game - as well as the game winning rock - would you still consider it "unsportsman like" to remove that rock?

02-17-18 08:53AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

yes it is - the rock was not materially affected

sportsman ship and class are black and white - no grey area

you are either a good sport or a poor sport - arguing doesnt help

you cant be a little bit pregnant

a poor sport can not talk a good sport into agreeing with his premise.............

02-17-18 10:06AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

OTTAWA MEAN GIRLS ARE BACK

The Ottawa Mean Girls are BACK - machining off an obviously traumatized Team USA 11-2 or somesuch . . . .

All Cdn. players were 90 to 99%. If they play at or even near that level they'll win out and take a back to back gold medal in womens curling.

They have to win out their last two games anyways (semi & final) to win gold - so they now need 5 straight to certify a spot at #3 or #4.

Only team that can stand up to shot-peltings like America took today is Team Sweden - and even then I don't like the Swedes chances - they can't all get it up into the 90s, can they?

Next up for Homan is Silvana T of Switzerland - a formidable competitor to be sure but the only way Vanna beats Rachel is if Rachel beats Rachel.

02-17-18 10:15AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

ML - your "shot pelters" are also now known as "rock pullers"

02-17-18 10:24AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
ML - your "shot pelters" are also now known as "rock pullers"

Yes they are. Everyone makes mistakes - shouldn't be nailed to a cross (or curling pin) cuz of it.

Even my girl JJ Jones made a mistake over 10 years ago when she went nuts on a young group of fawns when a running stone was 'touched'. That young fawns name was Kerri Einarson - Jones took a lotta flack for that - and it was hidden within a moderate sized provincial playdown with no TV cameras.

Rachel's "pull" occurred in front of millions of folks around the world, not just Canadian curling fans.

She'll be fine. Fans will be fine. The incident will come up hundreds of times in future curling discussions.

Raytch's path to gold is clear. WIN OUT - YOU GOT GOLD

Might even be able to slither into a tie-breaker by going 4-1 down the stretch.

Tirinzoni & Muirhead already have 2 losses each. Rachel has yet to play either of them.

Tirinzoni might put up marginally more opposition than Nina Roth - Muirhead's team is slightly below average to average - BUT EVE IS A NUCLEAR WEAPON - - - - she's the only one who could put Rachel down prior to the playoffs.

In the playoffs the swedes could refuse to lose - especially if they can engage Rachel in a tight game where they (Sweden) hold hammer.

02-17-18 10:35AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

The rule book says " a touched stone cannot be stopped by the offending team after the far hog line". decade 02/16/18

Are you sure?

I thought it stated that inside the hog line, at the playing end, all stones can be allowed to come to rest after which the Non-offending team has the option to remove the touched stone...etc.

I have yet to find any rule which states it is not permissible for for an offending team to stop and/or remove a moving burned rock whether it's half way down the ice or after it has passed the hog.

02-17-18 10:54AM
nelski is online now Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
The rule book says " a touched stone cannot be stopped by the offending team after the far hog line". decade 02/16/18.Are you sure?.I thought it stated that inside the hog line, at the playing end, all stones can be allowed to come to rest after which the Non-offending team has the option to remove the touched stone...etc. I have yet to find any rule which states it is not permissible for for an offending team to stop and/or remove a moving burned rock whether it's half way down the ice or after it has passed the hog.

rationale: if you throw a stinker, that might end up really BAD for you, you are NOT allowed to kick it off, or burn it. (of course), hence, no removal from play after hog. Let it come to rest then non-offending team can decide preferred outcome.

02-17-18 10:59AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Harvey Hacksmasher

Curling Canada's code of ethics would certainly support the non removal of the burned stone. The spirit of the rule is to have the stones in the original place had the stone not been touched.
Yes, Homan's team may win gold, but, their decision to remove that stone will always be a blemish on the spirit of curling. If Homan was really adamant about rules she wouldn't allow her front end to be in the house when the opposition is delivering. That is certainly against the rules.

02-17-18 12:28PM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
The rule book says " a touched stone cannot be stopped by the offending team after the far hog line". decade 02/16/18

Are you sure?

I thought it stated that inside the hog line, at the playing end, all stones can be allowed to come to rest after which the Non-offending team has the option to remove the touched stone...etc.

I have yet to find any rule which states it is not permissible for for an offending team to stop and/or remove a moving burned rock whether it's half way down the ice or after it has passed the hog.

Kind of an irrelevant distinction.

The rule doesn't say 'cannot be removed...', but whether the rock is grazed by a broom or kicked off to the side and taken back behind the house, the situation is still the same.

All the rocks come to rest and then the non-offending team has the same three options.

02-17-18 12:48PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

It was her choice to remove the stone. But, they way she went about it was terrible. No communication, nothing - she was in there so quick to get it out of there and banging it with her broom - she could have hit the other one lying behind it.

Doesn't much matter - she lost anyway!!

There are rules - but in the game of curling there is respect, and the way she went about it, she lost mine. She could have showed some class. Not that I ever remember her showing any before.

Here is a new CBC story:

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/articl...lympic-win.html

02-17-18 01:12PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I have a lot of respect for Renee. I think she's getting a bad wrap here. She has coached Olympic curling and knows the sport. She isn't "Olga". The coach has many roles and is not the enemy. No comments by her were included in CBC's comeback story (above). Conspicuous absence. TenBux says it was her choice to refrain.

02-17-18 02:14PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

bet barnard wishes she wasn't there.