Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-29-17 09:25PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

This could very well be the oldest scotties in history with all the veterans getting through. Granted these are fantastic stories

It's been really shocking, you have to say. Val herself has just totally fallen apart in the back half of this game. Struggling to make even the most routine shots

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-29-17 09:28PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
This could very well be the oldest scotties in history.

The Barker team from SK looks young and fit. I don't know their history, but they played aggressively, as SK players do, and made great shots. Had to make a tricky takeout for the win.

01-29-17 09:41PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

"This could very well be the oldest scotties in history"

Not that there's anything wrong with that Jerry !!

Win you're in and deserve to go. If the young ones can't keep up, try again next year.

01-29-17 09:50PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
"This could very well be the oldest scotties in history"

Not that there's anything wrong with that Jerry !!

Win you're in and deserve to go. If the young ones can't keep up, try again next year.

No, please don't misunderstand . I didn't mean that in a negative way. If it came off that day I apologize, I was just saying that as kind of a statistical thing.

I think it's great to see these names like englot and mallet get back to a scotties and mattatal in Nova Scotia, she has probably waited longer than anyone to get back. And , since I have a tendency to pull for the underdog I'm loving it even more

I don't know the story of penny Barker but the Sportsnet commentators called hr winning a great story so I'd love it if someone could fill me in

01-29-17 10:03PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Shannon kleibrink going back to the scotties.didn't even need to throw her last.

01-29-17 10:04PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Congrats to Kleibrink and her team! Sweeting's team looked so out of sync,

01-29-17 10:14PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

A shocker of a day, gotta agree with misty that it's kind of nice to see these familiar names back at the show.
I just hope Team Homan avoids this upset trend and grab the title in Cobourg.

01-29-17 10:19PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I don't know the story of penny Barker but the Sportsnet commentators called hr winning a great story so I'd love it if someone could fill me in

I found her WIKI - she's born in 1985, so slightly past "young" but for this scotties - she'll be in the younger group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Barker

I liked watching them play.

01-29-17 10:40PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Cart < Horse

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Assuming Homan gets her game back from the lost & found I'd rate the STOH field as follows:

1. Chelsea Carey - 4-1 favourites
2. Rachel Homan - 5-1
3. Krista McCarville - 8-1
4. Shannon Kleibrink - 10-1
5. Penny Barker - 12-1
6. Michelle Englot - 15-1
7. Marla Mallett - 25-1
8. Mary Mattatal - 35-1
9. Quebec - 37-1
10. Field - 65-1

Questions - 1. Will Kleibrink bring her super-sub with her? (ie. Nedohin), 2. Is Englot's daughter eligible to be 5th for Manitoba? If not who would they consider? (my candidates list is as follows - a. K. Lawes, b. S. Birchard, c. K. Einarson.
3. Will Homan be bringing a strategy coach?

Homan has to win first. Sure she's the favourite but there's a bunch of ON teams that will have a say. How you can have Carey as the favourite to win the Scotties based on this years performance is questionable at best. Crazy more likely.

I'd say this year's Scotties is wide open, the hot team for the week wins, regardless of where or how they qualified.
IF Homan wins I like her odds, but there's at least 6 or so teams with a ligit shot at the playoffs and from there, who knows?

01-29-17 10:52PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: Cart < Horse

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Homan has to win first. Sure she's the favourite but there's a bunch of ON teams that will have a say. How you can have Carey as the favourite to win the Scotties based on this years performance is questionable at best. Crazy more likely.

I'd say this year's Scotties is wide open, the hot team for the week wins, regardless of where or how they qualified.
IF Homan wins I like her odds, but there's at least 6 or so teams with a ligit shot at the playoffs and from there, who knows?

Crazy fits.... when you consider the source.

01-30-17 03:00AM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

wow!

..just caught up on my non stop recording today before reading the thread.

..whoever said it was Jones that could have saved it herself....are you kidding??????, she slid through in the 1st, missed shots/ terribly light on her last....they knew that their rocks were light/heavy, and yet over and over didn't adjust.SHE, as well as the entire team, to put it bluntly....Failed. Miserably.

..it's going to be an interesting Scotties, new(er) names all over the place.

..Team Mallet will be excited to be there, as will Team Englott, as will be Team Kleibrink.....etc etc....

..even if Rachel Homan makes it, t's quite possible that we'll see a brand spanking new team repping Canada this year at World's.

01-30-17 09:30AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

All this talk of "old timers". Not quite the case, curling is a great sport as old and young can play on the same team. Kleibrink's brain with the brawn of her young team.

Englot's vice - what a strong curler and not exactly ancient. JJ's team did not deserve to win the semi with that poor curling display.

I guess WFG will have to get some new commercials for the Scotties. Good as I was tired of seeing Jennifer cooing over her kids while giving the side-eye to Brent.

Nice to see some new faces and very happy for Alberta's front end whom I am acquainted with and are great representatives for the sport.

Homan will have a battle and I think we just may see Middaugh sneak in.

01-30-17 09:34AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
All this talk of "old timers". Not quite the case, curling is a great sport as old and young can play on the same team. Kleibrink's brain with the brawn of her young team.

Englot's vice - what a strong curler and not exactly ancient. JJ's team did not deserve to win the semi with that poor curling display.

I guess WFG will have to get some new commercials for the Scotties. Good as I was tired of seeing Jennifer cooing over her kids while giving the side-eye to Brent.

Nice to see some new faces and very happy for Alberta's front end whom I am acquainted with and are great representatives for the sport.

Homan will have a battle and I think we just may see Middaugh sneak in.

i would live to see sherry get in. it would certainly fit the the pattern of the veterans getting through provincial playdowns.

and someone should maybe fix the results page in the ontario tankard. scott bailey did not give up a steal to lose last night, he made a double to win. so bailey should be 1-0 and tuck should be, 0-1

01-30-17 10:33AM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:

and someone should maybe fix the results page in the ontario tankard. scott bailey did not give up a steal to lose last night, he made a double to win. so bailey should be 1-0 and tuck should be, 0-1

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, it's been fixed

01-30-17 11:28AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Assuming Homan gets her game back from the lost & found I'd rate the STOH field as follows:

1. Chelsea Carey - 4-1 favourites
2. Rachel Homan - 5-1
3. Krista McCarville - 8-1
4. Shannon Kleibrink - 10-1
5. Penny Barker - 12-1
6. Michelle Englot - 15-1
7. Marla Mallett - 25-1
8. Mary Mattatal - 35-1
9. Quebec - 37-1
10. Field - 65-1

Questions - 1. Will Kleibrink bring her super-sub with her? (ie. Nedohin), 2. Is Englot's daughter eligible to be 5th for Manitoba? If not who would they consider? (my candidates list is as follows - a. K. Lawes, b. S. Birchard, c. K. Einarson.
3. Will Homan be bringing a strategy coach?

Quebec has a name Eve Bélisle - shouldn't have been too hard for a man with your impeccable research skills to find out,

01-30-17 12:12PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

If we want to do the full correction - three other teams have qualified already:
A Link to the curling canada team page: http://www.curling.ca/2017scotties/teams/
NWT - Galusha, Yukon - Koltun, and Nunuvut - Chislet.
Team Koltun was not challenged for their Scotties title. They are young, fit and hungry. Others, yeah, more vets.

01-30-17 12:35PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/c...or-skipping-duo

I just read where Team Kleibrink will use the "Russian" system, where at the Scotties in St.Catherines they will alternate skips. If there are two games a day, they will each skip one. That will tackle the endurance issue. Nedohin had some great words for Shannon too. Very interesting team, when this is considered.

EDIT: I originally pasted the JohnEpping story - this is now the correct link. Both stories great for Curling News. Thanks Misty1 for heads up. Sorry everyone.

Last edited by nelski on 01-30-17 at 05:51PM

01-30-17 12:51PM
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017...coming-out.html

I just read where Team Kleibrink will use the "Russian" system, where at the Scotties in St.Catherines they will alternate skips. If there are two games a day, they will each skip one. That will tackle the endurance issue. Nedohin had some great words for Shannon too. Very interesting team, when this is considered.

Where did you see this?

01-30-17 01:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
last year broomgate , this year cheating

in what way is alternating skips cheating.

01-30-17 01:53PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

anyone else find it a little odd that the ontario playdowns are running 3 straight mens games before the women get on the ice and then the women will play 3 straight before the men play again? . would it not make more sense to just alternate each draw. men played draw 1 so women should have played this morning

01-30-17 01:56PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
anyone else find it a little odd that the ontario playdowns are running 3 straight mens games before the women get on the ice and then the women will play 3 straight before the men play again? . would it not make more sense to just alternate each draw. men played draw 1 so women should have played this morning

I agree. Would have been better for ticket sales too - most would see one men's game followed by a women's game.

Actually I like that Alberta has a triple knockout. Now that CURLON is making the players pay for their rooms, at least once your team is out, you are not on the hook for a week's worth of hotel rooms, i.e. knocked out by Monday night, check out Tuesday a.m. and no need to pay for the rest of the week.

01-30-17 01:58PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017...coming-out.html

Your link is about John Epping's coming out not Shannon and Heather taking turns.

01-30-17 03:45PM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Only missing Coco Jones (age 57) putting together another Nova Scotia run!

Actually Colleen Jones did play in the qualifier tournament in Nova Scotia in December but did not make it to the provincial finals. Ironically, she lost the last C-side qualifier game to Mary Mattatall, who as we know ended up winning the finals.

01-30-17 04:05PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler

Where did you see this?

Edmonton sun http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/01/...ng-up-in-more-w
(not hard to google)

01-30-17 05:53PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler
Where did you see this?

Hey OC - Edm Journal. But not sure why above link fails. I edited in the correct link and here it is again. I particulary like the comment attributing their decision to the "Russian" system. http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/c...or-skipping-duo ~~nel