Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 5 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-26-15 01:12PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Women's Nationals

Here is the team list.
Women

Aileen Sormunen Tara Peterson Vicky Persinger Monica Walker
Nina Roth Jamie Sinclair Becca Hamilton Tabitha Peterson
Patti Lank Maureen Stolt Anna Bauman Madisson Lank
Cory Christensen Sarah Anderson Mackenzie Lank Jenna Haag Taylor Anderson
Erika Brown Alex Carlson Becca Funk Kendall Behm
Debbie McCormick Courtney George Emilia Juocys Stephanie Senneker
Jordan Moulton Steph Bohan Karlie Koenig Sophie Brorson
Kim Wapola Brigid Knowles Jennifer Westhagen Kelsey Ostrowski
Joyance Meechai Kimberly Rhyme Carol Strojny Katie Rhyme
Kate Bert Steph Jensen Emily Anderson Sherri Schummer

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-26-15 02:51PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

So which of these teams can actually go to Worlds if they were to win? And what other teams would have to fare badly to allow that to happen. And which of these teams will be ending their seasons regardless of how they do at Nationals?

01-26-15 04:52PM
steveneger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steveneger Find more posts by steveneger Add steveneger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steveneger
Harvey Hacksmasher

McCormick with the George addition.

01-27-15 10:25AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Women's is a little simpler than the Men's. Roth and Sormunen control their destiny. Every other team needs Roth and Sormunen out of the top 3.

If Roth is 3rd and Sormunen 2nd, Roth will go. That would be a bummer since it doesn't look like Sormunen received any points for that bronze in China. Not sure why.

With Lank, Brown, and McCormick in the field it's very conceivable that Roth and Sormunen could miss out on the top 3.

01-27-15 02:44PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman
Women's is a little simpler than the Men's. Roth and Sormunen control their destiny. Every other team needs Roth and Sormunen out of the top 3.

If Roth is 3rd and Sormunen 2nd, Roth will go. That would be a bummer since it doesn't look like Sormunen received any points for that bronze in China. Not sure why.

With Lank, Brown, and McCormick in the field it's very conceivable that Roth and Sormunen could miss out on the top 3.

Roth going wouldn't be a "bummer" under any circumstances.

The USCA owes her one.

01-27-15 04:39PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, do not sleep on these Junior girls...the Christensen rink. Especially those of you are playing Alan McNeil's game of "Pick Anyone To Make The Top 3 Except For HPP/USCA Backed Teams". You're not limited to Erika, Debbie and Patti all bringing their A games. These Juniors can play with any of these teams.

I'd love to give y'all a good longshot to watch for, but I'm not sold and any of the last 4 to come out of the Bismarck Challenge Round. It looks to be some pretty good curlers but no really good teams. I could be wrong, but looking at the linescores it sure appears that if any of the Moulton/Wapoloa/Meechai/Bert group is going to contend for the playoffs, they'll have to have learned a lot in Bismarck or pin their hopes on a redhot skip.

From those last four in, I'd suggest you keep an eye on Kim and Katie Rhyme off Team Meechai. The skip has the guts to win Mixed Doubles and the Rhyme gals might be stepping up.

Also keep an eye on Sophie Brorson. If you think that Nina got screwed out of a Worlds, Sophie was her lead and didn't seem to get much consideration from the HPP even though she has as much or more international experience than those accepted into the system.

Lastly, keep an eye on Emily Anderson of Philly playing for Bert. Older sister to the Tiny Terrorists, we saw her in the Philly Nationals and she's got skills. Forced into skipping one game, she looked (or at least faked being) pretty comfortable in the house. The first steps of a future skip now playing some second? Maybe. I think so. Of those last 4 teams, I find Emily to be the most interesting factor.

That being said...and as kindly as I can say this to fine curlers and good people...I don't see any of the last 4 being a factor at all. Sorry. Please prove me wrong.

Ben Tucker

02-11-15 08:36PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Spatola-Roth 2 to 1 A very consistent team all year. Most weekends found them mid-pack in tough fields. Playing well of late with a good showing in Switzerland. Played very well in Scotland, but that weird spiel doesn't play extra ends; so they finish with a Consolation title on just one loss. Big cash at the Canad Inns in October.

Sormunen 3 to 1 Won the St. Paul spiel early. Big cash in the Colonial Square. They haven't been playing great of late, but did medal over in China. Every time I see them play, they don't look sharp...but the points total tells us that they can be very sharp.

Brown-Tetley 4 to 1 Never a bad weekend all year. Never a great weekend all year. Going well lately and made the finals at Curl Mesabi. Stomped through the Challenge Round.

McCormick 5 to 1 Going well early with cashes in a tough Stu Sells and the finals in St. Paul. Then a November that I'm sure they'd rather forget. Now they've added Courtney George at third. Stomped through the Challenge Round.

Lank 5 to 1 Patti always seems to play better with youngsters on the front end. She plays particularly well when one of those youngsters is one of her daughters. We saw that go for Gold in Fargo with MacKensie. Now it is Maddison at lead. Look for Patti to play very well. Maureen Stolt at third. Good team.

Christensen 6 to 1 Ubertalented young Junior team. Tiny Terrorists and Mac The Knife Lank and Skip In Her Own Right Haag at lead. I'm not sure that all 5 will be there, but this team could hit the medal stand in this field. Heck, if they play together this team could get Gold.

Field 20 to 1 I've said it before: Lots of good curlers but I'm not seeing a good team. Yeah, some could challenge for a medal...but we're betting on the gold and I'm not seeing it. Moulton has Sophie and Sophie always seems to get a medal. Meechai had some good linescores in the Challenge Round. Wapola's team has played together the most. Still, if forced to pick a longshot: Gimme Bert. Nice front end and they've played the most this year and had some decent results. They did not seem to impress many in the Challenge Round, but they could learn from that.

My Pick:

I'm not sold on the HPP teams. Yes, both have had some really good weekends here and there...but I'm not seeing either as a powerhouse towering over this field. I'm picking Erika Brown over young Cory Christensen in the Finals.

Place your bets. It's getting close to post time. Sorry if I'm a little late, but somebody could take over some of these events for me.

Ben Tucker

02-12-15 08:58AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Hmmm, Brown over Christensen, eh? I don't know it I can buy both HP teams missing the final. I think Roth is in the final, but who does she play and who wins the National Championship? Brown will be there in the end but I don't think the finals happens. I do think McCormick has improved with George moving to vice and they will be there at the end as well but no final. Christensen? No, they fall short of any tiebreaker, just not there right now.

Sormunen is the question for me. Looking at scores, all the tough teams they have played and beaten I think they meet Roth in the finals with the whole thing coming to the 10th end. They have the coaches, the tougher schedule. Great TV, should be on NBC live but the webcast will be fantastic for all of us who will be following most games.

Roth wins and goes to Worlds a year later than she should of. I am somewhat of a homer for Wisconsin teams and she is Tuck's favorite, so no surprise here.

02-12-15 11:37AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Somewhat of a homer??? Biterbar, you make JH look downright openminded.

Biterbar bites on the favorites. All HPP Final. He ignores the Junior team. I hope all others ignore them as well. Glad to take your faux money...or whatever cheeseheads bet these days...maybe one of Aaron Roger's MVP trophies?

Ben Tucker

02-12-15 11:46AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

In a move that will shock and awe, I am not picking Easties. I am going with McCormick to win and maybe with a bit of luck actually go to Worlds. A bushel of Connecticut nutmeg is the wager.

JH

02-12-15 11:52AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Somewhat of a homer??? Biterbar, you make JH look downright openminded.

Biterbar bites on the favorites. All HPP Final. He ignores the Junior team. I hope all others ignore them as well. Glad to take your faux money...or whatever cheeseheads bet these days...maybe one of Aaron Roger's MVP trophies?

Ben Tucker

That first web stream draw (Sormunen v. Christensen)may be a good indicator to where we stand in our picks, Tuck. That and the Brown vs. McCormick are a couple of "barn burners" as we say here in "The land of cheese".

The Juniors have a Wisconsin presence so I couldn't be disappointed if you are right.

But I doubt that will happen.

02-12-15 11:53AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
In a move that will shock and awe, I am not picking Easties. I am going with McCormick to win and maybe with a bit of luck actually go to Worlds. A bushel of Connecticut nutmeg is the wager.

JH

It is cold here in the USA and now I know why.....Hell has frozen over.

02-12-15 12:46PM
Norse Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Norse Curler Click here to Send Norse Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Norse Curler Add Norse Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Norse Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

New guy prediction: All current Minnesota skip final. Sormunen over Christensen in finals.
Hopefully nobody shakes early to Wisconsin teams. We all saw the NFL's NFC Championship game, proving no cheesehead lead is insurmountable.

Last edited by Norse Curler on 02-12-15 at 12:49PM

02-12-15 01:25PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Norse Curler
Hopefully nobody shakes early to Wisconsin teams. We all saw the NFL's NFC Championship game, proving no cheesehead lead is insurmountable.

Using that same football analogy/logic how can you even put a Minnesota team in the playoff?

If Fran Tarkenton is skipping then definitely never shake!

02-12-15 01:38PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Using that same football analogy/logic how can you even put a Minnesota team in the playoff?

Best comment ever!

02-12-15 02:48PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Is Jessica Shultz no longer playing with Brown?

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-12-15 03:04PM
Norse Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Norse Curler Click here to Send Norse Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Norse Curler Add Norse Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Norse Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

If Fran Tarkenton is skipping then definitely never shake!

I apologize. I love this sport of curling so much, especially the people no matter where they are from, and I shouldn't have diminished the past and future accomplishments of any nationals qualifying team by comparing them to the pack.
Sticking to my guns though.... Sormunen over Christiansen in finals.

02-12-15 04:28PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Norse Curler

I apologize. I love this sport of curling so much, especially the people no matter where they are from, and I shouldn't have diminished the past and future accomplishments of any nationals qualifying team by comparing them to the pack.
Sticking to my guns though.... Sormunen over Christiansen in finals.

Weakest comeback ever.

Since this is curling I will end the comparison of the NFL fortunes of a 4 time SB winner vs. a team that has come up short every season of the entire franchises history.

02-12-15 05:08PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont see the christensen rink getting to the final 4 right now. there's just to much experience and skill among the 5 co-favorites. i would think one or more of them would need to have an off week for that to happen.

my final 4 are safe but its just how i see it:

mccormick
brown
roth
sormunen

02-12-15 05:10PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Roth going wouldn't be a "bummer" under any circumstances.

The USCA owes her one.

there's a part of me that thinks that part of whats driving nina this year is what happened last year. how she was robbed of her spot at worlds. she knows she should have went last year and so is determined now to get there this year

02-13-15 08:40AM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

2 year path to Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

there's a part of me that thinks that part of whats driving nina this year is what happened last year. how she was robbed of her spot at worlds. she knows she should have went last year and so is determined now to get there this year

While I completely agree with you, the new reality for US competitive teams is that you might not become Team USA the first time you win Nationals. There is a 2-year path to get to Worlds now. First year goal- top 3 at Nationals. That puts you in position to advance to Worlds the next year by finishing in the top 3 again. (People smarter than me did the math on this.)It might not be everyone's favorite, but there you have it.

My picks- CB v Shuster final, Shoostie wins. On the ladies side, it's all McCormick. I hate to jinx 'em, but they can flat out play.

Mini

02-13-15 10:40AM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Let's not forget.... it's not the same team she won nationals with.

You know the USCA knows a better team to put together than the one she had.

02-13-15 12:02PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Mark bets the Daily Double with a Shoostie/Debbie ticket. Got it. 2 year process? Marky Mark, that's not how I'm reading the rules. Points don't carry over and it's all about the Points. Put together a team...hit a couple of Canuck cash spiels and do well in at least one of them...hit a couple of USA cash spiels and do well in them...finish in the Top Three. From now on, it's called the Shoostie Plan. 2 years was an Olympic Trial thing and I suspect it will come back and I suspect there is logic behind it.

IF the next Olympic Trials format is based on a 2 year system, let's hope that they announce that in plenty of time...in the interest of fair play and open access.

Lots of action coming in on Princess Debbie. We may need to promote a McCormick/McCormick Daily Double bet. Wouldn't be the worst bet in the world.

Radio Man, Jessica is taking the year off...along with Cassie, Jamie, Allison, etc...

Jamie Sinclair is, by far, the most interesting curler in the field. The two-time Ontario Junior champion skip has a winning percentage at Canadian National Juniors of around 70% and that's pretty good. She didn't show much last year in Philly. It will be interesting to see how she does for Roth this year.

Ben Tucker

02-13-15 12:50PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Well...since you say it's such a good idea...

I'll bet the a that you dropped from my last name on Christensen to shock the world...or at least the parts of the world not named Tuck

02-13-15 02:33PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Alan's betting the letter "A" from MacNeill...since I never get it right anyway. If the Juniors win, I wonder what letters I'll have to drop? Odds, so I'm guessing the "er" off of Tucker. Cute bet, Alan. You win and we'll let you add on and become Allan.

Ben Tucker
read his bet 3 times before I figured it out