Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-19-15 08:43PM
Duck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Click here to Send Duck a Private Message Find more posts by Duck Add Duck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duck
Swing Artist

Elite 10

Can someone please explain why the teams have 10 rocks available per team? I just got home and haven't heard the explanation. Is this to allow teams to have different rocks for different shots? Interesting idea, not sure how I feel about it yet lol.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-20-15 12:15AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

They're given the option to pick 8 of those 10 rocks in each of the ends. Gives them the option to get rid of a rock they don't like.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-20-15 12:32AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I hope they never have a "match play" tourney again!!
Its just an attempted circus shot with last rock every end.
Unbelievably boring.

03-20-15 12:38AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

My sentiments exactly...

03-20-15 07:57AM
My three sons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for My three sons Find more posts by My three sons Add My three sons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My three sons
Harvey Hacksmasher

You would think that coming off the Brier, which set unbelievable audience numbers, that taking a chance on a skins style event would be risky. People love curling for what it is. Don't F*&% it up. I'm bored.

03-20-15 09:03AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

There really is no pleasing curling fans, is there?

Look. They've added another big event for these top players. We get to watch the best teams compete. And they tried something different. Maybe it won't work, but I'm THRILLED that Sportsnet and the players are experimenting. Look at what's come through the Grand Slam system: the 5-rock rule, which I love and which may one day get adopted. Thinking time - clearly the superior clock management system and that has been adopted by the WCF and CC. The players measure their own rocks - and anyone who's watched the officials screw up measurements at the Worlds this week can agree that this is a superior method.

They're throwing stuff at the wall, and seeing what sticks - if it's a 1-off experiment that didn't work great, what's the harm? I'm enjoying seeing the skips a little baffled and out of their usual comfort zones, and also loving that every end is worth the same amount so the teams need to be sharp right from the get-go.

If it really pisses you guys off this badly, just don't watch it. The rest of us are enjoying having more curling on TV.

03-20-15 09:23AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Curling????u

03-20-15 09:42AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im another one who's not really crazy about this format. i question too if a grand slam is really the time to be playing around with format changes. might have been better to start in a smaller event and see how it goes

03-20-15 09:50AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Doubletakeout,
Look, I have an opinion. Please don't talk down to me because you don't agree.
Yes, there have been good things that have come from "throwing things at the wall". Matchplay is not one of them. JMHO.

03-20-15 12:07PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I am OK with this format after watching more than 1 draw. I would not want it to be used more than 1 time in the year however. Percentages get skewed with this format so I don't pay any attention to them. And percentages are never a real important stat to me in regular curling.

Thanks Sportsnet and Slams for trying it at least

03-20-15 12:33PM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
They're given the option to pick 8 of those 10 rocks in each of the ends. Gives them the option to get rid of a rock they don't like.

Maybe they should try having two extra players every end, and subbing guys in for a particular shot.

Kidding, I think...

03-20-15 12:42PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

I'm quite surprised at the response from some here, I hope it's not the majority.

I love the idea of another format and seeing how teams approach strategy. Yes, once per year is fine, golf has very few match play events each year and they add something different to an otherwise long, sometimes too similar, season (like curling).

I don't care much for skins or Continental Cup, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to exist, just means I don't make them must see TV.

03-20-15 12:45PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

I will say that as a once a year event, I think the concept is great. The lack of carryovers make it more fair than a basic skins game as well.

Generally, people say the more rocks in play, the better. It's a little weird to hear some say the opposite, but to each their own.

03-20-15 01:07PM
Not Happy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Not Happy Click here to Send Not Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Not Happy Add Not Happy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not a bad format only thing I don't like could be a lot of games end early.

03-20-15 01:17PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

I'm enjoying the format. However, I don't think I'd want to see it too often. I still look for more sweeping out of a rock from the house then realize its not necessary. lol

03-20-15 01:37PM
Ajay
Drawmaster

I can see some aspects of this format being adapted to hockey. Throw 10 pucks on the ice and the first team to get 3 in the net wins the period.

03-20-15 01:44PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Why isn't there a game on Sportsnet right now? They announced last night that McEwan-Carruthers would be the game this morning and it's not on. Watching poker is not the least bit entertaining.

Ignore this. I just figured out that there is no morning broadcast.

Last edited by rick8end on 03-20-15 at 01:48PM

03-20-15 02:48PM
Duck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Click here to Send Duck a Private Message Find more posts by Duck Add Duck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duck
Swing Artist

Gerry, do they have to select the rocks prior to the end starting or for example, they know of one straight rock and leave that for the skip to choose on his last if they need a run back?

As for the format, I like it... much like the Ryder Cup in golf, a once a year (Presidents Cup added) event that is extremely exciting and popular, however it wouldn't work as well if it was overused. I would love to play in this event given the opportunity as I am sure any one of the posters on here would as well.

Expect the players percentages to increase as they get used to both the format and the ice conditions.

03-20-15 03:54PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

I'm not sure that curling really needs to keep tinkering with different rule changes and formats, but hey, I'm not going to complain. I kind of like this format. And what I really like is more curling on TV, whatever the format may be.

03-20-15 05:03PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
I hope they never have a "match play" tourney again!!
Its just an attempted circus shot with last rock every end.
Unbelievably boring.

Totally agree... the most boring curling I've watched or tried to watch... hey, maybe it will work for non-curlers but not for people who actually play. It is like... throw up 6 rocks and then have the skipper make some fantastic runback or double whammy to score. Totally boring.

03-20-15 08:48PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

I like the match play format. But unlike a lot of people on this forum, I'm also not staunchly opposed to any type of change in curling. There are going to be 7 Slams next year (and 8 the year after) so having one of them a different format is a great idea.

I think eventually teams might realize in this format that you don't have to play every single end super aggressively and then try a 'hail mary' on your last stone. The idea is to take 2 with hammer (or at minimum get 1) and try steal without (or at minimum force)... which is also exactly the same idea in a normal game of curling. So I'm always a little confused why teams feel you must always pack the house with rocks.. you can play a more normal game (try force teams to 1 and take 2 with hammer).

03-21-15 12:12AM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

Does this spiel count for WCT points? If it does I don't agree with that based on its format and exclusivity.

03-21-15 03:08PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Looks more and more like Howard and the other 2 srs should be hanging up their brooms. Sort of sad when athletes don't realize that they are not real competitive anymore..

03-21-15 03:23PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Man you need a road map to find out where the curling is being broadcast. Thankfully I found it now on CBC.

Last edited by rick8end on 03-21-15 at 03:26PM

03-21-15 03:45PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
Man you need a road map to find out where the curling is being broadcast. Thankfully I found it now on CBC.

Thanks for letting us know!