Click Event to Show Scoreboard
W: Hokkaido Bank Curling Classic
M: Hokkaido Bank Curling Classic
W: Cape Cod Wheelchair Summerspiel
: Australian Mixed Curling Championship
M: Australian Mens Curling Championship
W: Australian Womens Curling Championship
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Penticton, BC (Official Thread)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 10 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-01-18 04:20PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Yup - Stacie Curtis lost her game after coming out of the chute like a house on fire (4-0)

As far as the first round of playoffs is concerned I'd like TSN to consider broadcasting the Alberta vs. North Ontario matchup.

Tiny Tracy the Dynamite Kid of Northern Ontario is the hottest thing going in the event right now - while Scheidigger has been sleep-walking to a 6-1 record - basically Homanizing (aka shot-pelting) most comers into submission.

Wouldn't mind seeing Casey tested by Tracy - but McTaggart vs. Crystal Webster is a bit of a mis-match in favor of Alberta.

Don't want to see Jones confuse herself, her fans and the TSN crew for a couple rounds anyways - she's taking on the babyfaces from BC. If she can't slither by them, good gawd, she's done!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-01-18 04:35PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I only saw the last 4 ends of the tiebreaker, but that was some very disappointing play from both teams for this level of competition.

02-01-18 04:38PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

the ladies like a lot of mens teams of the last 10 years lack confidence in "calling " the game - deer in the headlights = often resulting in over confidence in making what will prob be an almost impossible last shot -

cant believe how many times i think they should open up front with last rock - but they dont - end up playing a hail mary like jj did yesterday - to be fair by that shot there wasnt much room to draw .. also men seem to be able to hit the button better ( sweeping sure helps)

the free guard rule has been a great equalizer between superior and good teams - designed for tv - then tv mikes the screamers , has reflective billboards and scorboard s, advert on ice ( scot is at least bearable -)
arena ice has been unreliable for about 60 years , 7 minute breaks between ends , same old stuff

02-01-18 04:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Yup - Stacie Curtis lost her game after coming out of the chute like a house on fire (4-0)

As far as the first round of playoffs is concerned I'd like TSN to consider broadcasting the Alberta vs. North Ontario matchup.

Tiny Tracy the Dynamite Kid of Northern Ontario is the hottest thing going in the event right now - while Scheidigger has been sleep-walking to a 6-1 record - basically Homanizing (aka shot-pelting) most comers into submission.

Wouldn't mind seeing Casey tested by Tracy - but McTaggart vs. Crystal Webster is a bit of a mis-match in favor of Alberta.

Don't want to see Jones confuse herself, her fans and the TSN crew for a couple rounds anyways - she's taking on the babyfaces from BC. If she can't slither by them, good gawd, she's done!

yeah, i'd rather not see manitoba on tv today since they will almost definitely be on at least once and maybe even twice tomorrow. she plays 2 teams today who, in theory she should handle with ease. in reality she needs these 2 wins badly because she closes with canada and alberta. if she enters into those games on 3 losses it won't be good.

for this afternoon i'd like to see northern ontario v.s alberta

tonight either northern ontario v.s canada or maybe wild card v.s BC. why? wel..they've only showcased the home team once so far. that's not good. got to get the home team on more

02-01-18 04:53PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Did they really schedule the final of this tournament to directly coincide with the Super Bowl? Start it earlier or later, fine, but to start it 20 minutes after the Super Bowl starts is just ridiculous.

02-01-18 05:04PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
Did they really schedule the final of this tournament to directly coincide with the Super Bowl? Start it earlier or later, fine, but to start it 20 minutes after the Super Bowl starts is just ridiculous.

I'll be watching curling before watching overpaid footballers.

02-01-18 05:08PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

i am watching curling all day over football. one of the most boring sports of all in my opinion. nothing appeals to me

02-01-18 05:48PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Can't believe the NFL scheduled the Superbowl on the same day as the Scotties final Personally I will be watching the Scotties final.

02-01-18 05:52PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

I have all the respect in the world for Russ Howard's curling ability, history and what he has done for the game. I must say though, his commenting SUCKS!!

02-01-18 06:21PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Spunky "Wild Thing" Einarson's squashing of Jennifer Jones was an anomaly.

Jones was ever so ripe for the picking!

Now Einarson is having a heckuva time standing up to Hollywood Hollie Duncan and her Ontario side!

Selena K back to normal meek and timid form!

02-01-18 06:54PM
JBob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JBob Find more posts by JBob Add JBob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JBob
Knee-Slider

New Scotties tournament format

Not sure whether this has already been discussed, but while I think that the new 16 team format is an improvement over the previous attempts to include teams from all over Canada, and well conceived, I don't understand the reason that (unlike a number of other tournaments where some of the teams are dropped at some point in round-robin play) the team records are not adjusted such that they reflect team records against only the remaining participants (so that in the end, the team records will all be in respect of the same opponents). From my perspective, as opposed to the published 7 game records, in the interest of fairness, the teams records going into the championship round should be as follows (and I am not an Albertan!): AB 3-0, WC 2-1, NO 2-1, MB 1-2, NS, 1-2, CA 1-2, BC 1-2, ON 1-2 (i.e. 12 wins and 12 losses as opposed to the 40 wins and 16 losses under the current approach).

02-01-18 07:22PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Don't expect a perfect playoff ending format when when the beginning format is imperfect. Qualification for entry needs tweeting, rather than trying to placate every part of the country when some areas just don't have the talent nessasary. All the annual free trips to the big show will not improve their situation.

02-01-18 07:36PM
JBob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JBob Find more posts by JBob Add JBob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JBob
Knee-Slider

New format

I'm sure that some valid concerns exist with respect to the qualification process, but aren't these two independent issues? I am concerned that the current format has the potential at some future point to create a really unfair situation (what if one of the two pools is for some reason (as demonstrated by round robin play) accidentally seeded with the 3 weakest teams in the tournament - should all the teams in that pool be allowed to carry the 3 wins over these teams to the championship pool?

02-01-18 07:51PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Don't expect a perfect playoff ending format when when the beginning format is imperfect. Qualification for entry needs tweeting, rather than trying to placate every part of the country when some areas just don't have the talent nessasary. All the annual free trips to the big show will not improve their situation.

ALL forms of funding for curling in Canada is based on geographical inclusion. Like it or not there would be no Sport Canada, and ultimately no COC funding if they did not comply to include everyone. Seeing as the Brier is the only event that makes a profit, it wouldn't take long to run out of money.

Free trips for a couple of teams per championship pales in comparison to the amount of funding lost if they are not included.
2013-14 was 2.5 million from Sport Canada. Imagine if that was zero.

02-01-18 07:57PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

got to say it's great to see mary anne arsenault right in the mix. 6-2. well done. can they make the final 4? i hope so

as expected jen crushed british columbia. she should have a tougher time with ontario but i expect her to win that one fairly comfortably too

02-01-18 07:58PM
Buzzzardd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buzzzardd Click here to Send Buzzzardd a Private Message Find more posts by Buzzzardd Add Buzzzardd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buzzzardd
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: New format

quote:
Originally posted by JBob
I'm sure that some valid concerns exist with respect to the qualification process, but aren't these two independent issues? I am concerned that the current format has the potential at some future point to create a really unfair situation (what if one of the two pools is for some reason (as demonstrated by round robin play) accidentally seeded with the 3 weakest teams in the tournament - should all the teams in that pool be allowed to carry the 3 wins over these teams to the championship pool?

I think the teams are seeded when the field has been established, so that both pools would be equal as possible.

02-01-18 08:14PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

seeding at the bottom of this page.

http://www.curling.ca/2018scotties/...Hearts-Draw.pdf

02-01-18 08:20PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
got to say it's great to see mary anne arsenault right in the mix. 6-2. well done. can they make the final 4? i hope so

as expected jen crushed british columbia. she should have a tougher time with ontario but i expect her to win that one fairly comfortably too

Jen is almost always a sure bet (not always as history will tell) vs. young fawns limited in both technique and strategy. She'll have a tougher outing vs. the supposed Ontario fawns because they've received a bit more training (especially Ladrew, Kreviazuk & Sagle) but the obvious line - if Jones wants to to lose, she'll lose!

Interesting how easily Schiedegger squashed a very good N. Ontario team. Biggest difference was McTaggart destroying Crystal Webster.

As I've been touting since before the event started - the shot-pelters from Alberta are better than even money to take one of the spots in this Sunday's gold medal match. The only question is - who they'll face!

02-01-18 08:30PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Hopefully tonite's game is Alberta vs. Maryanne.
Big test for Maryanne as she's been coming on strong and shows no sign of checking out due to exhaustion (like Englot & Sherry Anderson)

Alberta needs to protect their #1 spot. If they get tripped up by Maryanne - its conceivable someone else could nip them at the wire for 1st overall - thus losing last rock advantage in the 1 vs. 2 game. And Maryanne doesn't want a 3rd loss inflicted either - might put the pressure on her to win out to obtain a playoff spot.
Obviously, Maryanne's team doesn't stack up well on paper vs. Alberta. . . . . except at skip where Maryanne isn't scared of anyone. But the game isn't played on paper - its played on ice - and the ice is VERY SLIPPERY!

02-01-18 08:34PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Hopefully tonite's game is Alberta vs. Maryanne.
Big test for Maryanne as she's been coming on strong and shows no sign of checking out due to exhaustion (like Englot & Sherry Anderson)

Alberta needs to protect their #1 spot. If they get tripped up by Maryanne - its conceivable someone else could nip them at the wire for 1st overall - thus losing last rock advantage in the 1 vs. 2 game. And Maryanne doesn't want a 3rd loss inflicted either - might put the pressure on her to win out to obtain a playoff spot.
Obviously, Maryanne's team doesn't stack up well on paper vs. Alberta. . . . . except at skip where Maryanne isn't scared of anyone. But the game isn't played on paper - its played on ice - and the ice is VERY SLIPPERY!

TSN site shows them game being televised as BC and Wild Card.

02-01-18 08:42PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

TSN site shows them game being televised as BC and Wild Card.

not surprised. as i said they have shown only one game involving british columbia. given that that is the home team that's just not acceptable. they might try and sneak another game involving them in tomorrow

02-01-18 08:50PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

ALL forms of funding for curling in Canada is based on geographical inclusion. Like it or not there would be no Sport Canada, and ultimately no COC funding if they did not comply to include everyone. Seeing as the Brier is the only event that makes a profit, it wouldn't take long to run out of money.

Free trips for a couple of teams per championship pales in comparison to the amount of funding lost if they are not included.
2013-14 was 2.5 million from Sport Canada. Imagine if that was zero.

There is a huge difference between having a mandate to grow a sport in all regions of the country and giving Nunavut/Yukon/ or even PEI a spot in the Scotties or Brier. There simply is no such requirement. In the old days only one of NWT or YT got in and the CCA was funded by Sport Canada.

Sport Canada of course funds many different Canadian Sporting Organizations. Guess what, Athletics Canada does not give every province an auto birth of one spot in the 100m dash. The athlete must meet a standard to compete for our national championship. As long as there is 'some way' for a team to qualify for the Brier or Scotties the system is fair. What we have now is a farce.

02-01-18 10:03PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Compare Scheidegger to Homan

Appears to many keen observers that Casey Scheidegger & Co. are the heirs apparent to Rachel Homan & Co.

Both great young squads (although Rachel & M are approaching 30)

Main difference is Rachel already has 3 STOH golds & world championship gold - plus a huge pile of tour cash.

Rachel has the best training and coaching available to any team in the world, no question.

Scheidegger is a raw talent who's finally made it to the show - and now coolly going about her business while other teams are getting a bit too frantic.

Homan probably takes down Casey 3 or 4 times out of 5. She's a far stronger thrower of the rock than Casey - more accurate with heavy weights yet learning the nuances of 4 foot curling (the tap 'n dance game). Emma is probably superior to McTaggart in most respects, especially completing those tiny little nuanced shots. Front ends both appear fabulous - Courtney obviously a stronger brush than Jesse and a world class shooting 2nd. Weagle is the 2nd best lead in the world so advantage still goes to Homan team.
If Casey gets specialized training, workout time, travel budgets, extra sponsorship, CCA funding - she could be the #2 monster in the country - as teams like JJ Jones, Sweeting, Carey, etc. fade out of the picture!

One codicil - if Jones continues to showcase her decline on national TV - does her superior front end (Dawn/Jill) continue showing loyalty to a lost cause - OR perhaps line up with a refreshed Manitoba squad, one that can confront Kerri Einarson's fine team. And what I'm thinking, first introducing is Kaitlyn Lawes skipping, Birchard at 3rd w/ the Officer/McEwen front.

02-01-18 10:55PM
JBob
Knee-Slider

Flaw in new format?

My point is simply this: there were 4 very unsuccessful teams in the initial round robin: YK, NT, NU and SK - the ONLY Ws these 4 teams had were against each other! The problem is that 3 of these 4 teams were in Pool A and only 1 in Pool B, which to my mind creates an advantage in terms of the W-L record carried forward to the championship pool for all Pool A teams. The easy way to remove this advantage is to strip out each team's W-L record for each team vs the eliminated teams

02-01-18 11:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Three

There is a huge difference between having a mandate to grow a sport in all regions of the country and giving Nunavut/Yukon/ or even PEI a spot in the Scotties or Brier. There simply is no such requirement. In the old days only one of NWT or YT got in and the CCA was funded by Sport Canada.

Sport Canada of course funds many different Canadian Sporting Organizations. Guess what, Athletics Canada does not give every province an auto birth of one spot in the 100m dash. The athlete must meet a standard to compete for our national championship. As long as there is 'some way' for a team to qualify for the Brier or Scotties the system is fair. What we have now is a farce.

Sport Canada is actually Department of Canadian Heritage. Where else is Canadian Heritage more prevalent than the North? Part of the "deal" was to include the north in the Curling Canada funding. Nothing to do with any other sport. Include ALL and get the funding. NO inclusion, threat of no funding.

Easy