M: Meridian Canadian Open
: USA Mixed Doubles Championship
M: TBayTel Major League of Curling
M: German Masters
W: Glynhill Ladies International
M: Challenge Assurances Jean Gamache
W: Kisakallio Open
Eastern European Time (EET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Manitoba Scotties

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-14-18 10:20AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Playing possum like she did leading up to the trials.

Her game against Fujisawa was pathetic.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-14-18 10:40AM
CurlingZoneStats is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingZoneStats Click here to Send CurlingZoneStats a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingZoneStats Add CurlingZoneStats to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingZoneStats
Administrator

Going for low percentage hero shot versus nose freeze on the button deserves steal of two.

01-14-18 11:15AM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

hlots of 50% curling everywhere

hard to predict

what is Jones lineup in kilarney this weekend ?

i take it lawes isnt there ?

01-14-18 11:30AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
hlots of 50% curling everywhere

hard to predict

what is Jones lineup in kilarney this weekend ?

i take it lawes isnt there ?

same line up for Jones - Lawes is there.

01-14-18 11:52AM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

so she wins today - plays in Pendicton til feb 4 then goes to korea

01-14-18 02:21PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I dont take to much out of homan's performances in continental cup. the continental cup is a joke. none of those teams take it seriously, it's an exhibition. teams just want to go there and have fun

once again overall it's been a lot more fun to watch the womens playdowns. lots of upsets, unexpected results. the men's will once again more than likely just go to script.

if we get even one unexpected champion in the men's field i'll be pleasantly surprised

01-14-18 06:01PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Nope....she will be in Asia long before then. JJ will need a new third should she qualify.

01-14-18 06:14PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

JJ giving up three in the eighth on two terrible misses and follows it up in nine giving up a steal of one with a brutal flash....terrible curling.

01-14-18 06:17PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jones a total exercise in The Erratic.
When the skip can't make shots anymore the team is doomed.

Playing against a very average competitive team like Robertson - she's fortunate to even be down 1 comin' home!

Kaitlyn hasn't been much help either.

Too bad - she might not get her chance at a record 6th STOH title - - - - - but even if she finds a lucky path to BC, her form is so off and so detached she'll be fortunate to finish mid-pack!

01-14-18 06:19PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

10 end

7 rocks in play
5 on centre line

jj wont have a shot to win

01-14-18 06:28PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
10 end

7 rocks in play
5 on centre line

jj wont have a shot to win

The JJ just gave Darcy Kirkness a makeable double to close her out.
Fortunately Darcy ain't Eve Muirhead - but then Jones can no longer hang with the top monsters in the game (ie. Princess Eve, Ladyhawke, Homan, Hasselborg, etc.)

01-14-18 06:30PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

8th provincial championship Mr. Folds - not 8th trip to the Scotties!

01-14-18 06:35PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

Too bad Robertson couldn’t make a fairly easy shot on her first to lock up the victory.

01-14-18 06:49PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Two options for Jones in BC.

1. Take Kaitlyn and her proposed replacement to the Scotties - and have the replacement curler inserted when Kaitlyn has to leave for Korea.

or

2. Don't take Kaitlin - bring the new 3rd from the get-go and have another player on stand-bye.

My guess is that Jones feels Kaitlyn might help her win enough games early to make the page.

It logically figures Jones will now be posted as the STOH favourite (ie. no Homan, no McCarville, no Sweeting, no Carey) because the oddsmakers haven't seen how sketchy Jones has been this season.

Frankly, even with Jones losing her super-powers she's still a damn good civilian curler.

To me Scheidegger should be the early favourite should she conquer Shannon K (game just underway)

If Shannon wins I'd put Jones at #1 (reputational favourite only) and Shannon a close #2.

After that Fleury slides in at #3

Van Osch or the Ontario champion would be #4.

As for CTRS entries - I suspect its down to Chels Carey, Val Sweeting & Krista McCarville - although McCarville probably doesn't play enough cash events to qualify. Middaugh, Flaxey & Einarson would be dark horses but I don't know how many teams qualify or where the points are as of the close of STOH qualifying today?

01-14-18 08:43PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

2018 Scotties should be a real ransacker. Lots of teams with half a chance - some more than others!

Either Kleibrink or Scheidegger will be tough outs from Alberta. Kleibrink is chock full of experience and fairly cool under duress. Scheidegger reminds me somewhat of Rachel Homan about 2 or 3 years ago. Casey doesn't have the training or psychological help that Homan received but Scheidegger is far less aloof and distant than Homan was 3 years back.

There's probably a road to glory for Jennifer Jones - BUT NOT if she can't get her erratic game under control. With or without Lawes she's nowhere the curler she was 3 or 4 yrs ago - especially that 1-time only monster fest at the Olympics where she carried 400 lbs. of curlers on her back.
If JJ can straighten out she's got as good a shot as anyone. But her game is obviously in need of repair.

Duncan from Ontario is the real unknown dark horse. Karen Sagle is a known commodity at lead, that's all I know.

Little Tracey Fleury is a known commodity. Very cool, decent pitti-patti game (see Kelly Scott) and a feel-good story as 3rd Crystal Webster finally gets her first STOH start. Fleury can win a ton of gams - but she's nowhere near dominant. Very good, not dominant.

Van Osch may present problems to most of the teams - she'll serve as hometown favorites.

Sherry Anderon is well known - if she can travel thru time to the 1990s, turn of the century she may challenge for a playoff spot or tiebreaker.

Carey or Sweeting will round out the field as I suspect they have far more points than Einarson, Robertson, Lawton, Harrison, Flaxey or Middaugh.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 01-15-18 at 09:54AM

01-14-18 08:45PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Hitting Paint

Don't think Kaitlyn was ever able to go to the Scotties once she won the mixed doubles trial. As soon as you are representing Canada you are part of a "team" and you do not get to make that choice. She will be going to Japan or somewhere in Asia I believe with the rest of the curling teams for training before the Olympics starts in South Korea.

01-14-18 09:05PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

Lawes

Am I correct in thinking her replacement must be from Manitoba as Jones now officially lives in ON? Or are there special provisions for team members lost to the Olympics?

01-14-18 09:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

OR, if Carey loses to Einarson, bring back Cathy O !!!

01-15-18 12:08AM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Jones is the Free Agent on the team so will need to pick up a spare from Manitoba. Lawes will not play the Scotties.

01-15-18 12:22AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

We'll see if that holds true. Could be another John Morris in BC when ALL members had to be "residents" of said province before the residency rules were changed. . Not.

01-15-18 10:04AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jones will push hard to have Kaitlyn go as far as she can before heading for Korea.

As for spares - I think JJ will also push the case that's she's still maintains half-residency in Winnipeg, albeit with her parents looking after the kids when she's flying around the world.

It might come down to whether she still owns her home in Winnipeg and how much she utilizes it? If she owns it but rents it out to somebody I think her case is weak.

Very few Manitobans who can provide the scintillating type of 3rd services K Lawes has provided the last 7 years. Brianne Meilleur or Brianne Meakin (Knapp) might be the best available player and young enough that they won't put up much resistance to Jones' demands. Neither can curl at Lawes level - nor brush as strong; let alone the experience Lawes has absorbed at every level of the game.

That said, Jones will still be the favourite in BC - she's Jennifer Jones afterall and most curling oddsmakers have not seen her miss takeouts by a foot or more and run draws to the 8 foot to the back bumper.

Jennifer Jones has a ton of marvellous and amazing accomplishments during her storied career - didn't even win her first STOH til she was 30.

But winning a 6th STOH title without Kaitlyn Lawes might just be her finest.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 01-15-18 at 12:34PM

01-15-18 11:31AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Nice article on JJ

Done by the normally ascerbic Paul Friesen of Winnipeg Sun (when I say ascerbic this guy makes me, even fresca look like shrinking violets)

http://winnipegsun.com/sports/other...-again#comments

01-15-18 12:18PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

thank you for sharing that!