Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 36 of 37 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-24-13 10:41PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

My thoughts to close:

1. Great job by team canada this week, made a valiant effort to defend their title. Most people writ them off but they got close to the final, played a great semi but for 1 bad end that cost them.

2. congrats to team ontario, will represent canada well in latvia

3. nova scotia did themselves proud. they had a slow start but finished really strong and proved that they can still compete at this level

4. ontario fans were pretty classless at times including in that final.

5. saskatchewan was a really nice surprise . no one had heard of them before and they finished 5th.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

02-24-13 10:45PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

WOW

I am sure that win for Homan made the top women's teams in Ontario feel better about their chances for next year. If Homan's team stay together they should be representing Ontario and Canada for years and years......

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-24-13 10:56PM
Curling fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling fan Click here to Send Curling fan a Private Message Find more posts by Curling fan Add Curling fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling fan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Kudos to the Homan team,should be the first of many.Good luck at the worlds!

02-24-13 11:04PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

If its true I'm sure she doesn't want to be known as The Tick Woman (a la Steve Gould, Tick Man)

Probably prefers The It Girl.

My o my, there's gonna be a lot of wounded fawns at the world championships!!!

the only teams i can see posing any kind of threat to team homan are switzerland ( tirinzoni), scotland (muirhead ) and sweden (sigfridsson)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

02-24-13 11:08PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

the only teams i can see posing any kind of threat to team homan are switzerland ( tirinzoni), scotland (muirhead ) and sweden (sigfridsson)

Just a word of caution. They've had a great week but they're going to Latvia. Who knows what the arena conditions are or what the ice will be like. They play a very precise game and looked great this week but they are an inch away from missing on run backs and no curling team is on all the time. They are a very impressive team but have many more stripes to earn.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.75.6.92

02-27-13 10:41AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:

Just a word of caution. They've had a great week but they're going to Latvia. Who knows what the arena conditions are or what the ice will be like. They play a very precise game and looked great this week but they are an inch away from missing on run backs and no curling team is on all the time. They are a very impressive team but have many more stripes to earn.

Think it was mentioned in this thread or another, but the facility in Riga is apparently quite new and state of the art. No idea who the icemaker is, but I'd expect pretty good conditions.

02-27-13 08:19PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

KittyHisses was probably so upset that all her predictions about the inevitable demise and total collapse of Jennifer Jones hadn't come true, she was too depressed to write any more.

Totally agree with NineEnder on having the 2 best teams in the world in Canada. The 3 Homan-Jones battles at this most recent STOH were just incredible to watch, reminds me of the insane Howard-Martin battles in the Briers leading to the last Olympic trials. Jennifer Jones totally changed the women's game in Canada when she burst onto the scene with her unrelenting aggressive style, and now Rachel Homan is writing a brand new chapter. Very proud to support both of these excellent teams, and looking forward to some more ferocious battles in the future.

02-28-13 10:56AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
The 3 Homan-Jones battles at this most recent STOH were just incredible to watch, reminds me of the insane Howard-Martin battles in the Briers leading to the last Olympic trials.

I still have very fond memories of the two Howard-Martin battles at the Olympic trials. Great stuff.

02-28-13 03:04PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
KittyHisses was probably so upset that all her predictions about the inevitable demise and total collapse of Jennifer Jones hadn't come true

Actually my predictions on Jones were right on the money. She hasnt even won the biggest event in Canada since 2009 now, let alone coming close to being the best in the World again (if she ever was that is, even when she won Worlds Norberg was considered better by most people and she was lucky she wasnt there due a 3 month slump the previous year and the selection procedure of European nations). Ever since I made the thread that her best days were behind her, and perhaps her days even on top in Canada were over, she has won 0 major events, even in Canada. Now a permanent changing of guard seems to have taken place with a far younger team overtaking her as best in Canada, and now with her possibly moving to Ontario and falling off the curling radar altogether from here (if she even continues). Her chances to even ever become the best Jones over Colleen now look to be almost nil. I was gracious so didnt gloat about continuing to be right on my predictions of Jones over 3 years ago that others howled and boasted I would be so wrong, yet have only continued to be so right on. Now back under your bridge.

PS- how is Jones of the best 2 teams in the World when she hasnt actually placed top 2 at a World Championships since 2008 now. I guess that is some mythical fantasy people are supposed to believe just because, lol!

Last edited by KittyHisses on 02-28-13 at 03:15PM

03-01-13 03:42PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
There. See their reaction. And heather and team would have been just as exhilarated to win that game. That's why it is played. It was only Jenn Jones last year that didn't appreciate the bronze while MF Larouche and team cried their eyes out over the loss.

Good job BC and CAN. Great game, great show. Did it for yourself, your province and your fans. Everyone should applaud them both.

Of course Team Scott was happy, ecstatic perhaps - they finished one position higher in the final standings than they should have.

If you remember the bronze game from two years ago, Homan could have cared less to be there, played like it, and Heather Smith-Dacey ended up with the medal instead.

Useless game and should not be bothered with.

03-01-13 04:21PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by KittyHisses

Actually my predictions on Jones were right on the money. She hasnt even won the biggest event in Canada since 2009

Too be fair to Jenny she did win the Scotties in 2010..

I wouldnt say her chances of winning another Scotties are nil but i do agree with you her best days are behind her

03-01-13 05:29PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I totally disagree that her best days are behind her. Team Jennifer Jones probably had their strongest Scotties performance, start to finish, ever this week, except for a slight dip in the playoffs by the skip. Jennifer herself looks rejuvenated and re-energized after the knee surgery and the birth of her daughter. We've seen Martin, Howard, Stoughton reach new heights of mastery into their late 40s and early 50s. Colleen Jones won her last title at age 45 after a very, very long Scotties career. There's no doubt that if JJ wants to keep playing, she could equal or surpass Colleen's records at the event - and the events of STOH 2013 have shown that JJ is still a top contender at any event she enters.

Let's talk about double standards here - Glenn Howard won the title in 2007, and lost a bunch of Brier finals and playoff games in the ensuing years, even while he and his team were steadily improving, year after year. Nobody was ever suggesting in 2012 that Glenn's "best days were behind him" and after years of disappointment he racked up another Brier win. Why does Jennifer Jones get such a different treatment for essentially the same excellent, consistent track record?

Last edited by doubletakeout on 03-01-13 at 05:31PM

03-01-13 05:50PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
I totally disagree that her best days are behind her. Team Jennifer Jones probably had their strongest Scotties performance, start to finish, ever this week, except for a slight dip in the playoffs by the skip. Jennifer herself looks rejuvenated and re-energized after the knee surgery and the birth of her daughter. We've seen Martin, Howard, Stoughton reach new heights of mastery into their late 40s and early 50s. Colleen Jones won her last title at age 45 after a very, very long Scotties career. There's no doubt that if JJ wants to keep playing, she could equal or surpass Colleen's records at the event - and the events of STOH 2013 have shown that JJ is still a top contender at any event she enters.

Let's talk about double standards here - Glenn Howard won the title in 2007, and lost a bunch of Brier finals and playoff games in the ensuing years, even while he and his team were steadily improving, year after year. Nobody was ever suggesting in 2012 that Glenn's "best days were behind him" and after years of disappointment he racked up another Brier win. Why does Jennifer Jones get such a different treatment for essentially the same excellent, consistent track record?

KittyHisses is a fairly irrelevant poster with a grudge. Remember there were far more posters on here last year saying Glenn Howard wasn't going to win; mainly because people put too much emphasis on previous results without paying attention to current team form. Coming second at nationals is a strong showing; to suggest as KittyHisses does that this indicates weakness is absurd.

Based on form, Jones has the second best team in the world right now. Her surgery seems to have added years to her game and Lawes adds life to their team. And note that KittyHisses continues to promote Muirhead as one of the best, but honestly her recent team's form hasn't been great for two years. So there is a big question mark how good they are.

03-01-13 06:10PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World

I wouldnt say her chances of winning another Scotties are nil but i do agree with you her best days are behind her

They were 11-0 in the RR and equally dominant in Manitoba.
Your conclusion is to be blunt stupid. Form on the ice was very strong; they just got derailed by the best team in the world.

Men's has Howard/Stoughtan/Martin, and using your standards you could have written off any of them several times over the last decade. They are also older players then Jones. In particular, Stoughtan looked like he was near the end of his run but he rebounded and came back as good as ever later.

03-02-13 09:03AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I actually think Jones has never been better, she breezed thru most of Manitoba with very little prep and conditioning time, ripped thru the Scot field undefeated (including a solid conquest of Rachel's wolf pak) and then started to suffer from exhaustion, perhaps from going all out in the round-robin, not dropping a couple obligatory nothing games.

Kaitlyn Lawes is shooting better than anything I've seen from Cathy Overton, or Kaitlyn in her first couple years. Dawn Askin is better than ever. A bit of a slip, yes for Jill Officer but she's still a solid Jones acolyte and her game is still top shelf. Jones was more assertive than ever, seemed to be a far better ice-reader than years past and made many difficult shots. She also missed far less basic shots than she usually gives away in round-robins.

It was only when she was confronted by a team of hungry young monsters did things start to change. JJ started coming down with Connie Laliberte's Disease when she felt Homan's power and was indecisive. But I wouldn't write her off from future Scotts championship, particularly if she gets a freebie into next year's STOH if Homan nabs the Olympic spot.

If JOnes nabs the Olympic spot and if she medals in the Olympics I strongly feel that will signal her final major event in women's curling. Could be wrong but don't really see her skipping a team of Sherry Middaugh, Tracy Horgan and Jojo Rizzo.

Jones isnt retiring any time soon. It would really stun me if she did,. I would think that, if anything if she actually medalled or won at the olympics(assuming she gets there) that it would only drive her even more. She has been close to winning another scotties for years and she doesnt seem the type to me to retire with just 1 world title so i think she'll be trying to get back for years to come.

she doesnt need to recruit the team you have suggested. there is plenty of great talent in ontario for her to choose from. Perhaps she could steal merklinger and armstrong away from sherry. not sure who she could pick up as a third though..maybe horgan? or mccarville?

03-02-13 09:26AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Too many problems with travel when it comes to McCarville and thus they can't train together. Thats a big part of the Jennifer Jones program - training!

Doomsday scenario for Manitoba curling if Jennifer rides off to Ontario after the Trials or 2014 Scotties.

And imagine this scenario. Something happens to Emma Miskew (ex. injury, pregnancy, etc.) and Rachel Homan asks Kaitlyn Lawes to come to Ontario to be her third. WOW!!! That team might even be better with Lawes on it, hard to imagine?

I dont think its doomsday. Manitoba has some of the best young talent in the country coming up. Kaitlyn could put together a great team with her former juniors if she needs too and chelsey carey is a great team. Shannon birchard will be very good if she sticks with it and breanne meakin's new team should also be a force.

03-02-13 11:29AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World

Well the biggest curling event in Canada of the 09-2010 season by FAR was the Olympic Trials, so while fully aware Jones won the Scotties in 2010 (and then proceeded to be defeated at Worlds by a 50 year old Schopp and 19 year old Muirhead in a depleted B-Worlds field missing almost all the top teams) so that is what I meant when I said she hadnt won the biggest event in Canada since 2009.

I do concur she could eke out 1 last Scotties sometime before she retires IF she continues to curl competitively at all with her move to Ontario. However also concur with you that her best days, her glory days of relative dominance in Canada (albeit never at the World level even in her best days) are over. With the move to Ontario her days of an annual presence at the Scott are also over. It will be more of an occasional thing post Sochi.

As for being the 2nd best team in the World since her World title Jones has placed 4th at the Worlds, 3rd at a depleted Worlds, lost the Scotties to a team who lost the Worlds final, came 3rd at the Scotties when the winners went on to be only 3rd at Worlds. We can conclude by this since 2008 she has never been a top 2 team in the World, and 2008 is the only year she ever was.

03-02-13 11:30AM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

I dont think its doomsday. Manitoba has some of the best young talent in the country coming up. Kaitlyn could put together a great team with her former juniors if she needs too and chelsey carey is a great team. Shannon birchard will be very good if she sticks with it and breanne meakin's new team should also be a force.

I agree. Lawes and Carey are both young and good and will be around many more years. Both would probably be overataking Jones in a year or two (once Lawes forms her own team) in Manitoba even had she stayed. Both are capable of winning a Scotties and contending at the event in the future.

03-02-13 12:19PM
hasbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hasbin Click here to Send hasbin a Private Message Find more posts by hasbin Add hasbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hasbin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Or maybe Lawes and Carey put a team together if JJ leaves MB?

03-02-13 03:18PM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hasbin
Or maybe Lawes and Carey put a team together if JJ leaves MB?

It is possible and that would be exciting to see but it seems Carey is very happy with her current team. That could change though (not that I am hoping it to).

03-03-13 01:09AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by KittyHisses

As for being the 2nd best team in the World since her World title Jones has placed 4th at the Worlds, 3rd at a depleted Worlds, lost the Scotties to a team who lost the Worlds final, came 3rd at the Scotties when the winners went on to be only 3rd at Worlds. We can conclude by this since 2008 she has never been a top 2 team in the World, and 2008 is the only year she ever was.

Except that there is more than one event in a curling season. Yes, the worlds are important, but it's not the only event worth considering. All you have to do is look at Jones' record throughout the last few seasons and see the calibre of teams she's beating regularly to see she has one of the best teams in the world (yes, probably top 2).

03-03-13 02:08AM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

The Canadian teams mostly play each other throughout a season, especialy the women who have fewer top internationals come to events here, and fewer of our teams playing in Europe much than the men. Now for the men this still means the whole season goes a long way to showing who is the best, not the Brier or Worlds, since everyone knows the best 4 or 5 teams in the World for men are Canadian, so it is the best playing each other at events throughout the year in the Grand Slam and elsewhere. However when it comes to the women, the best team(s) in the World has not been Canadian for a long time now. The last 5 years have seen Canadian entrants win 0 of the 5 World or Olympic events and only 2 of those 5 have even reached the final. Thus for the Canadian women obviously first winning the Scotties, and then succeeding at the Worlds (and Olympics) are their only means of proving themselves the best. Beating other Canadian teams in Canadian bonspiels for the most part, when Canadian women have never been the best in the World the last 5 years anyway, does nothing to that venture.

Last edited by KittyHisses on 03-03-13 at 02:10AM

03-03-13 02:45AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

In the past 2 years, Jones is 6-1 against the big 3 international teams of Sigfridsson, Ott, and Muirhead with winning records against all 3. For the most part, if you add more teams to this, their record just gets better.

03-03-13 09:19AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

The only international teams that jones has struggled with traditionally have been angelina jensen and anette norberg. her record against them is something like 1-10 combined all time.

i dont think she ever beat nordby either but i might be wrong

03-03-13 11:25AM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
The only international teams that jones has struggled with traditionally have been angelina jensen and anette norberg. her record against them is something like 1-10 combined all time.

i dont think she ever beat nordby either but i might be wrong

Considering that one could say she has never been better than Anette Nordberg (I dont think she even was the year she won Worlds, the only reason she was able to win Worlds is Norberg wasnt there that year), especialy when in addition to kicking Jones and her behind Nordberg regularly produces better results in Worlds and Olympics she is in than Jones does, even past her prime. Yet in the last 5 years Nordberg herself has only occasionaly been the best, yet always better than Jones, another indication Jones has rarely, if ever, been top 2 in the World.