Japan
Denmark 6th
Spain
Estonia 5th
Italy
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World Men's Curling Chmpshp 2016

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-04-16 05:54PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
I
S
I know that some folks will think that this is just a Canadian trying to be a big-shot, but when the Worlds are held in Europe, is it really a wise idea to have Canada play in the morning draw?

It is called the World Championships not the "lets do what is best for Canadian tv viewers championship" 11 other teams have to play morning games don't they?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-04-16 06:01PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Isn't the draw schedule random anyway? I thought the games were just randomly assigned, limit of two games per day? Or is there some kind of seeding?

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-04-16 07:24PM
gavinboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gavinboy Click here to Send gavinboy a Private Message Find more posts by gavinboy Add gavinboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gavinboy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I know it's a little late this season, but maybe in the off season TSN can splurge on a thesaurus for Russ Howard? Every third shot is brilliant, Hans Wuthrich is a brilliant ice maker, Marc Kennedy is a brilliant shot maker, Koe's line calling is brilliant. Ben Hebert is a brilliant brusher. Scott Pfifer is the most brilliant 5th man in curling. We get it Russ, but seriously you need to add some more words to your vocabulary.

04-04-16 08:06PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Hi decade- in fact they will be showing the Norwegian game at 3:00 AM. It also happens to be the first day of the Masters so go figure.
As for my comment about scheduling Canadian games, Germany and Korea won't get any TV exposure. I know they're not contenders but if they had been-so if TSN can show "The Pants" at 3:00 in the morning...I would think that international curling would take every opportunity to ensure that its only major TV market was taken care of. Remember it's only the championships that take place on a different continent that would be affected.

04-04-16 08:25PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

tv schedule

http://www.tsn.ca/curling-on-tsn-1.365469

04-04-16 09:37PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
tv schedule

http://www.tsn.ca/curling-on-tsn-1.365469

That's what I'm talking about-they're showing the Norway game Thursday at 3:00 AM but not the 3:00 AM games on Tuesday and Wednesday.

04-04-16 09:54PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
I know that TSN has commitments to European soccer (go Barcelona!) and the Masters, but what's the deal with tomorrow's game against Germany (starting at 3:00 AM)? Will it be on the net or should I just leave the alarm clock "as is" and assume the best?

Same for Korea on Wednesday...ironically they are showing the Norwegian game at 3:00 AM on Thursday.

I know that some folks will think that this is just a Canadian trying to be a big-shot, but when the Worlds are held in Europe, is it really a wise idea to have Canada play in the morning draw?

I think it has more to do with having one local production crew and EuroSport showing the morning draw live wants games that people will watch. Canada-Germany & Canada-Korea aren't matches that people will watch. They've shown Canada games twice in the 5 round robin matches they'll cover. TSN won't send a full production crew to Switzerland for covering these 2 games, because it's too expensive. I don't blame them.

Also, they have to balance the draws so every team plays 3 morning draws, 4 afternoon draws and 4 evening draws. It's about balancing the schedule. Why should Canada not play morning draws when every other countries would play at least 3? Because some people care more about their curling then others? They're working with all their TV partners and it's good to see.

04-05-16 10:16AM
gonzobob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gonzobob Click here to Send gonzobob a Private Message Find more posts by gonzobob Add gonzobob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gonzobob
Harvey Hacksmasher

The draw schedule is not completely random. Teams are placed in pools of 4 and the first 3 games are intra-pool games. After that, games are inter-pool and only two of the three pools are out on ice for each draw, i.e. each team is always playing at the same time as the other teams from their pool and their pool's opponents are always from the same pool.

I don't know if there is any sort of seeding for the pools. For womens' WC the CAN/DEN/SUI/USA pool was probably the toughest, and for the men, the CAN/DEN/FIN/USA pool is probably the toughest.

04-05-16 10:20AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

LIVE Stream -- Draw 10

Draw 10 JPN- KOR -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJP3_v0diA

04-05-16 10:46AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Nik Edin - SWE...

taken out of the game yesterday
Just got beaten by NOR again today..

will he recover in time or lose the world title??

04-05-16 10:47AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Is he injured or ill or just having a really bad week?

04-05-16 10:54AM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Sweden has just dropped 3 in a row-they just lost to "The Pants" and Koe's om deck. The home team is struggling too-maybe they should bring in their women, who seem to have no trouble winning!

04-05-16 04:45PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

LIVE Stream

Draw 12- USA - NOR.. WED 3am ET...
from Basel

http://www.worldcurling.org/wmcc2016

04-05-16 05:13PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

It would appear that the "Creators of God's Games" have hit Hadrian's Wall, if you know what I mean!

04-05-16 05:38PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Canada is absolutely on a roll and in the lead undefeated. Their last four opponents are Korea, Sweden, Norway, and Switzerland. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the table to finish 11-0, honestly. More realistically I expect them to go 3-1 and finish 10-1. At worst I see them going 2-2 to finish 9-2. They'll probably beat Korea, Sweden has been struggling but usually manage to qualify (especially backed in a corner somewhat as they are now), Norway is playing great but are certainly beatable, and Switzerland is struggling as well.

Norway is playing great, as they usually do at this event. Sitting solo in second with one loss. They still have to play the USA, Japan, Canada, and Switzerland. I could see them going 4-0 or 2-2, but I think they'll end up 3-1 finishing clear in second with 9-2. I don't see them losing to Japan or Switzerland, but I could see it happening with either Canada or the US, slim chance of both.

USA is sitting at 5-2 now, alone in 3rd. Their final four opponents are Norway, Japan, Korea, and Germany. I would say they quite possibly could go 3-1, should at least go 2-2, and there's always an outside chance they could go 4-0. Norway will probably be their toughest remaining RR game, followed by Japan. They could beat Norway, and should beat Japan. Korea and Germany are near at the bottom of the standings and are games the USA should definitely win. I think they'll go 3-1 to finish 8-3. Anything can happen though.

Sweden struggling has been a surprise, currently sitting at 4-3 and tied for fourth with Denmark & Japan. They still have to play Canada, Korea, Scotland, and Denmark. They should be able to go 3-1, and I could see them going 4-0, but the pressure is on for sure. Canada is on fire, Korea is tied for last, Scotland has been struggling, and Denmark has been playing better than expected I think. Canada will be tough for sure, but I could definitely see Sweden handing them their first loss. Korea should be a win, and I think they'll beat Scotland & Denmark as well. I'll go out on a limb and predict them shaking off the bad games to go 4-0 and finish 8-3.

I have a feeling Japan & Denmark will fade, and at the end of the round-robin we'll have Canada, Norway, Sweden, & USA in the playoffs, with Canada & Norway in the 1vs2 and Sweden & USA in the 3vs4. Of course, it's very possible that things go differently and we see a tiebreaker between some 7-4 teams for that fourth spot.

04-05-16 07:00PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D
Canada is absolutely on a roll and in the lead undefeated. Their last four opponents are Korea, Sweden, Norway, and Switzerland. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the table to finish 11-0, honestly. More realistically I expect them to go 3-1 and finish 10-1. At worst I see them going 2-2 to finish 9-2. They'll probably beat Korea, Sweden has been struggling but usually manage to qualify (especially backed in a corner somewhat as they are now), Norway is playing great but are certainly beatable, and Switzerland is struggling as well.

Norway is playing great, as they usually do at this event. Sitting solo in second with one loss. They still have to play the USA, Japan, Canada, and Switzerland. I could see them going 4-0 or 2-2, but I think they'll end up 3-1 finishing clear in second with 9-2. I don't see them losing to Japan or Switzerland, but I could see it happening with either Canada or the US, slim chance of both.

USA is sitting at 5-2 now, alone in 3rd. Their final four opponents are Norway, Japan, Korea, and Germany. I would say they quite possibly could go 3-1, should at least go 2-2, and there's always an outside chance they could go 4-0. Norway will probably be their toughest remaining RR game, followed by Japan. They could beat Norway, and should beat Japan. Korea and Germany are near at the bottom of the standings and are games the USA should definitely win. I think they'll go 3-1 to finish 8-3. Anything can happen though.

Sweden struggling has been a surprise, currently sitting at 4-3 and tied for fourth with Denmark & Japan. They still have to play Canada, Korea, Scotland, and Denmark. They should be able to go 3-1, and I could see them going 4-0, but the pressure is on for sure. Canada is on fire, Korea is tied for last, Scotland has been struggling, and Denmark has been playing better than expected I think. Canada will be tough for sure, but I could definitely see Sweden handing them their first loss. Korea should be a win, and I think they'll beat Scotland & Denmark as well. I'll go out on a limb and predict them shaking off the bad games to go 4-0 and finish 8-3.

I have a feeling Japan & Denmark will fade, and at the end of the round-robin we'll have Canada, Norway, Sweden, & USA in the playoffs, with Canada & Norway in the 1vs2 and Sweden & USA in the 3vs4. Of course, it's very possible that things go differently and we see a tiebreaker between some 7-4 teams for that fourth spot.

dont overlook finland. they finish with scotland, germany,russia and japan. they should win at least 2 of those and could very well go 4-0 with the way they are playing now. finishing 7-4

Last edited by misty1 on 04-05-16 at 07:09PM

04-05-16 07:08PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
why was Edin taken out of the game yesterday ?

did he play today ...

brilliant actually describes koe team. .... another word would be pensive

He played both games today. He was pulled yesterday when they were losing 7-3 without hammer after 5.

04-05-16 08:29PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

dont overlook finland. they finish with scotland, germany,russia and japan. they should win at least 2 of those and could very well go 4-0 with the way they are playing now. finishing 7-4

Good point, it's definitely possible. They started out slow but have warmed up for sure, and the games against the top dogs are behind them now.

The way things are going though, I can see this being like WWCC with no tiebreakers.

04-05-16 08:39PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

Good point, it's definitely possible. They started out slow but have warmed up for sure, and the games against the top dogs are behind them now.

The way things are going though, I can see this being like WWCC with no tiebreakers.

i think there will be. i think canada, norway and united states will finish good and clear. i really cant see canada losing their final 4 games just like i cant see norway losing 3 of their last 4 . united states could lose 2 more but i dont think they will.

i have sweden losing to canada to put them on 4 losses and denmark wont win their last 4. that gives finland their way in. i could see finland going 4-0 and playing tiebreaker with sweden or denmark.switzerland needs to win out to stay on 4 and i dont think they will with norway, denmark and canada to come. japan need to go 3-1 in their last 4 and with they have left i really dont see that happening.

as of now thisa is how i see round robin ending:

1. canada 10-1
2. united states 9-2
3. norway 9-2 (usa finishing above them due to their round robin win)
4. finland and sweden or denmark
(havent decided yet but i think that whoever wins when sweden and denmark play will be playing that tiebreaker with finland). if finland fails to win out then the winner of the sweden/denmark game with take 4th without tiebreakers.

there's an outside shot 5 gets something but i doubt it

Last edited by misty1 on 04-05-16 at 08:43PM

04-06-16 07:23AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

John Shuster on a tear

Team USA has won 5 straight now including world champ SWE
..NOR..SUI..RUS..SCO..

FIN and SCO are in trouble at 5 losses now with only 3 games left to play..

Canada's game coming up at 8am ET may be a dog fight with SWE sinking lately

04-06-16 08:42AM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I'm not a betting man but I would not be at all surprised to see Koe vs Shuster rematch in the final. He "beat the pants" off Norway! Hopefully the US sports media is taking notice of what he's doing- given the development of curling in the States this would be a perfect exclamation point!
As a Canadian of course I mean a US silver medal!☺

04-06-16 09:18AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

5 straight blanks guys, really? is taking a point really that terrible

04-06-16 10:09AM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

The points are flying now aren't they!☺ Nobody's accusing Canada of slow play now haha. By the way for those who were accusing Kevin of slow play I hope you're aware that the TSN games always start about 10 minutes later than the other games. That's designed so that they will always be the last game finished. At least that's the plan.

04-06-16 11:24AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

NOR way

If CAN beats NOR Thur.. they will get the Page 1 spot.. nobody else can get 9 wins...

toughest battle..is between JPN and SWE who are at 5-3 .. each have 3 games left

04-06-16 03:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow..did not see norway dropping both today. is it possible they lose 4 straight? that would be shocking and i wouldnt count on it but 3 is looking likely