Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-22-13 09:04AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm reading the tweets. USA leading as I type this one. Thanks Terri and Gerry...Terri for tweeting and Gerry for informing us and supplying a dedicated page. Thanks to adding Ian's tweets. Well...one tweet so far, but I'm hoping for more.

Speaking of hoping:

Looks like Universal will keep their record perfect and suck once more. You can't buy the games. You can only watch online if you don't need to watch online. Only people who get Universal as part of their cable package can watch online.

That is such crap. Universal is trying to pressure people into calling their cable provider and asking for Universal to put onto their package. Such a horrid way to sell your product! Just put on good programming and let the public decide to call their cable supplier! Don't pressure and force and tease. I would make multiple calls if I knew they were showing a lot of curling...but I'm not going to be blackmailed nor manipulated.

Why Universal anyway? What are they going to put on NBCSports? Reruns of hockey games? 3am and 8am, they could show curling live. When NBC bought Versus and renamed it NBCSport, I thought we had chance to really make some strides. Maybe someday soon. I'm sure that the purchase will allow for extremely good Olympic coverage

Ben Tucker
Need to find a bar that has Universal and is open at 3am...if we make the gold medal game, I'll need to find a church that shows Universal

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-22-13 12:32PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

US v Canada will be on TSN tomorrow for those that have it at the club or somewhere local. That leaves out Tuck, who will probably drive to Manitoba to watch it.

JH
will be watching at home in my jammies

03-22-13 01:09PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

JH..thanks for providing THAT mental image. Yeesh.

03-23-13 09:07AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Crap. Could it be that Team Homan has returned to being the Team Homan that dominated the Scotties? Take two...force one...take two...force one...take two. Canada 4-USA 2 after four ends with Canada having the hammer in the fifth. This ain't good.

Ben Tucker
Picturing JH in his Victoria's Secret pj's...it's not going to be a good day

03-23-13 09:18AM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

And the shooting percentages aren't encouraging, with the Canadian front end outplaying the U.S. by 20 points. May explain why the usually stellar shooting of Debbie is down to only 69% after 4 vs. Canadian back end at 86% and 89%. Thank goodness Erika came to play (89%) or this game might be already over. Fortunately, it is only half over, but the U.S. needs to find a way to turn this around soon (a tough assignment when the other team is at 90%!).

03-23-13 10:03AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Canada has won 6 of the first 7 ends. We stole a point to win one end, but (other than that end) Canada has forced us to take one or Canada has used their hammer to get their deuce.

It is exactly the systematic dismantling that Homan showed in game after game after game in the Scotties. I was hoping that their first Worlds would continue their absence of form that they showed throughout the round robin. Alas, they seem to have rediscovered their form.

Well, it ain't over yet. Here's hoping.

Ben Tucker

03-23-13 11:03AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Good run. Hoping they can bounce back and win the Bronze. The bronze game will only be shown on TSN if Canada is playing in it. Don't know about Universal but don't have it anyway.

03-23-13 11:54AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Canada has won 6 of the first 7 ends. We stole a point to win one end, but (other than that end) Canada has forced us to take one or Canada has used their hammer to get their deuce.

It is exactly the systematic dismantling that Homan showed in game after game after game in the Scotties. I was hoping that their first Worlds would continue their absence of form that they showed throughout the round robin. Alas, they seem to have rediscovered their form.

Well, it ain't over yet. Here's hoping.

Ben Tucker

Not exactly. As I stated when they lost to Sweden, they dominated that game and it was a kind of a fluke that the Swedes won. Since then, with the exception of the game against China, they've controlled every game nicely.

Brown threw well but her strategy was not up to par when they fell behind. Kind of helped Canada cruise with their lead. Too little too late when they took some chances. Easy to say this off the ice; I don't envy any team facing the early onslaught today.

Well done by the US during the RR.

03-23-13 11:59AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I feel sorry for the sports that NBC relegates to Universal during the Olympics. I certainly hope that they don't use curling's rising popularity to push broader acceptance of Universal onto cable providers.

I doubt that will be the case. Curling is NBC's shining star in their Olympic coverage. With Sochi is a difficult timezone for the outdoor sports, I'm assuming that curling is heavily featured in the morning hours of North America...the evening hours in Sochi.

Ben Tucker
hating Universal

03-23-13 12:01PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

Can't wait for Canada vs Scotland! I had this game as my pick for the CF. It should be a very entertaining game. Heading to to club to watch.

03-23-13 01:03PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

It looked to me like Debbie didn't agree with Erikas strategy on a lot of Debbies shots but would voice her concerns under her breath where the front end could hear her but Erika couldn't.

03-23-13 01:08PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

poorly called game by brown

03-23-13 01:08PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

poorly called game by brown

03-23-13 03:51PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

tuck,

Universal Sports has not aired athletic competition during the Olympics, thus far. They only aired talk show programs during the Vancouver and London Olympics. For Sochi curling will most likely be aired on USA, Bravo, MSNBC, or CNBC.

SargentIV

03-23-13 04:12PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

MY OPINION! Canadians need not apply. That helped the US to a bronze. I don't think that the youngsters from Canada will bounce back from that.

Disagree if you like but this just MY OPINION! Wait can I make that any clearer. I think the US will win the bronze. THAT IS MY OPINION IN THE USA THREAD.

JH
should I say that is my opinion?

03-23-13 04:19PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
MY OPINION! Canadians need not apply. That helped the US to a bronze.

Some Canadian fans wont care if the USA wins the bronze.. it's either gold or nothing

03-23-13 05:08PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World

Some Canadian fans wont care if the USA wins the bronze.. it's either gold or nothing

You don't wind a bronze, you lose a chance at the gold!

03-23-13 11:29PM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

This Canadian fan hopes USA wins Bronze. Go Brown!!!

03-24-13 11:59AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I feel that my statements about our chances for medals...and possibly even gold...have been vindicated. The gals played well and were contenders right up to the end. OK, my prediction of the Swiss getting medals isn't looking too smart...but they did pretty well also.

I continue in failing to give proper respect to the Swedes. I'm sorry...great results...I'm just not that impressed. I think they are beatable. The Scots seem to have a lineup that has really jelled and a style that is both exciting and effective. I hope we don't see that team in Sochi.

Nor do I want to see Homan in Sochi. Now with more World exposure, they are poised to be an incredible force.

I'm not loving Erika's broom position in her slide. She is getting nothing from it to aid in a balanced delivery. I wonder if she has ever tried having it in front of her left shoulder like a Young Kevin Martin.

I'm also not loving Team USA's unwillingness to take a few chances without the hammer in the Bronze Medal Game against Canada. In the third end, Erika hits and rolls out...we give up three. She had just played the inturn draw around staggered guards...it was there for the steal. In the seventh end we elect to try the freeze...if you're drawing anyhow, might as well draw for the steal.

Don't misunderstand...I hate taking chances when the hammer belongs to a great skip. Taking reasonable chances with just the 8 rock, however, seemed to be in order...particularly in the seventh end when the scoreboard wasn't in our favor.

Bottom line: We have three (and maybe four) Ladies teams that can medal in the Olympics. Fargo should be a real celebration as we get too see them play for the right to go to Sochi. Only one Scottish team and two Canadian teams are super scary.

Ben Tucker
Proud of the gals

03-24-13 12:17PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

Sorry Tuck but a broom in front of the shoulder causes more problems than it fixes.
Her instability stems from the slider foot not getting to the balance position before the full force of the drive occurs. If you watch her slider, it doesn't ego quite far enough behind the stone, then slips to far, then recovers. The slip probably causes her to be a couple inches tight on the in turn and a couple wide on the out. IMHO

Nice week for the US over all however.

03-24-13 12:25PM
clutch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for clutch Click here to Send clutch a Private Message Find more posts by clutch Add clutch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clutch
Hitting Paint

Women's Worlds

Congrats to Homan - Canada for winning the bronze, look for great things in the future from them. Also congrats to Scotland for winning gold and Sweden for silver. For some reason, I tend to not give enough props to Swedish gals too, I am well aware of the fantastic teams of the past, but for some reason this team doesn't seem as artful or something but they do win. Really pleased about the run the US gals had - really proud of them. This is a good team but we have some other good women's teams too so Fargo should be quite a show. Just saw the highlights so really can't comment on our strategy the last game, so onto the next event.

clutch

03-24-13 01:20PM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

The Queen has been crowned!

Ms. Murihead will dominate the womens game for the next 15 years, sorry my Canadian friends. Question? Why are we all afraid to question strategy? A missed shot is always bad strategy, but sometimes a made shot is bad strategy too.. For some reason we Americans are afraid to piss anybody off, thats not how sports works ( not everybody gets a trophy ). Criticism goes with the game, if it doesn't whats the point. We need better coaches, better strategy and ( don't get upset ) more committed athletes ( which I believe we have lurking in juniors ). Look no father than the Queen and Scotland if you want a blue-print for success.. Great job Eve your a worthy World champion.......

03-24-13 02:28PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
MY OPINION! Canadians need not apply. That helped the US to a bronze. I don't think that the youngsters from Canada will bounce back from that.

Disagree if you like but this just MY OPINION! Wait can I make that any clearer. I think the US will win the bronze. THAT IS MY OPINION IN THE USA THREAD.

JH
should I say that is my opinion?

Seen plenty enough of the US team now to know you and Tuck's posts on this thread were over the top delusional. The Americans were a solid team but nowhere near good enough to win a gold medal.

Two obvious weaknesses :

1. The second player is not yet good enough. Maybe she
will be in the future, which is fine, she's one of
the younger players.

2. Curling from behind, the strategy was lacking. All that
"experience" didn't seem to translate. I have to
believe this is where Canadian teams have a huge
advantage, they get in much more competitive
games and learn to Curl from behind.

My opinion in the US Forum.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-25-13 at 12:25AM

03-24-13 02:29PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

USA women look to be improving when one sees the field in US Nationals but I'm afraid I do not see much room for optimism regarding USA chances at world level. Yes, USA made it to the playoffs but there is a long way to go from qualifying for playoffs to being a real threat for championship. While I agree with Tuck that their shot calling is suspect, it seems that so many teams get to a championship, be it national or world, and for some reason become more conservative. With USA women with still a ways to go to become threat at worlds and with USA men needing an influx of young blood, one wonders just when we might again see USA on medal podium.

03-24-13 02:32PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Re: The Queen has been crowned!

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
Ms. Murihead will dominate the womens game for the next 15 years, sorry my Canadian friends. Question? Why are we all afraid to question strategy? A missed shot is always bad strategy, but sometimes a made shot is bad strategy too.. For some reason we Americans are afraid to piss anybody off, thats not how sports works ( not everybody gets a trophy ). Criticism goes with the game, if it doesn't whats the point. We need better coaches, better strategy and ( don't get upset ) more committed athletes ( which I believe we have lurking in juniors ). Look no father than the Queen and Scotland if you want a blue-print for success.. Great job Eve your a worthy World champion.......

And you would be wrong on that account as Canada has at least two top notch teams that can compete with her on par and Sweden one or two teams as well. The main difference between a Canadian team and a Scottish team is the road to the Worlds is much tougher, so we likely see more of Muirhead then Homan for that reason.

I see she won which was no surprise to me I expected Canada to make the run and that Muirhead would be their toughest challenge. Basically a coin flip semi-final.