Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-16-14 11:12PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Team Clark qualifies in a good BC spiel. Good for them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-17-14 12:49AM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Team Clark qualifies in a good BC spiel. Good for them.

Nice work by Team Clark. Red Deer is actually in Alberta.

11-17-14 10:43AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

BC...Alberta...somewhere up there where it snows a lot and is cold. ;-)

JH
Been to most of the Western provinces, need to hit Saskatchewan one of these days

11-17-14 11:31PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
BC...Alberta...somewhere up there where it snows a lot and is cold. ;-)

JH
Been to most of the Western provinces, need to hit Saskatchewan one of these days

If you're looking for some cold weather in the winter, Saskatchewan is a good place to go.

11-18-14 08:48AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

This week at the National McCormick and Shuster will play in arguably the toughest field of the season. They are in the same pool along with Stoughton, McEwen, Morris and Laycock. A good test to see where these two teams stand and to compare them against some monsters.

Craig Brown is at the DeKalb Superspiel against a lesser field, but still a very good test.

The DeKalb Superspiel on the ladies side has both HP teams, Nina Roth and Aileen Sormunen as well as Erika Brown and Debbie McCormick. This triple knockout will also give a good idea where these four teams stand against a tough field.

11-20-14 10:41AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Shuster is currently beating the newly formed McCormick/Plys HP team 5-1.

My question is did Shuster, George, Hamilton or Landsteiner try out for the HP program?

11-20-14 11:06AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Never underestimate the power of a diss to inspire the dissed party to greatness (or revenge, depending on your POV).

11-20-14 11:42AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

McCormack makes a big comeback, stealing the last three ends to also steal 3 points away from Shuster. Each game in the slams is worth 3 points for teams that don't make the playoffs. I don't see either team making the playoffs and with the pool they are in, this might have been the only chance for a win.

JH

11-20-14 03:01PM
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

Schuster picks up some points with win over Laycock

12-06-14 11:39PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Lost amid the Mixed Doubles and NBC Curling Night In America are some teams curling up north. Craigy Brownie does pretty good in a very good Brantford field. Corbett (revamped team? now living in Ontario?) drops out of the Brantford main events early but is doing well in the consolation event. Gemmell goes out to the maritimes and doesn't do all the well in a field that doesn't appear to be as tough as Brantford.

Good to see teams getting out.

Ben Tucker

12-08-14 04:44PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

OOM points were given for the Curling Night exhibition. Doesn't seem right to give points for an invite only special event that used a draw to the button instead of an extra end.

12-08-14 05:23PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman
OOM points were given for the Curling Night exhibition. Doesn't seem right to give points for an invite only special event that used a draw to the button instead of an extra end.

Doesn't seem right? It is outright ridiculous. Anyone else but USCA and I would say this cannot be true, but...

12-08-14 05:55PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

I doubt the overseas teams would have come without the offer of OOM points. If "merit" was really involved, the invites could have been offered to teams based on their rank on the OOM list.

Still, 'tis always interesting to see any favoritism of teams already supported by NBC money. I'm still scratching my head wondering how the playoffs seeding happened at the Mixed Doubles this month.

12-08-14 05:57PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Mixed Doubles was peer seeded. Always ends up a bit random.

12-08-14 06:00PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

And we can say goodbye to the TV-unfriendly Last Shot Draw (LSD) lingo. It's now "Shootout Rankings" after High Noon with gunslingers from China, Japan, and New Zealand last week. I do prefer the imagery of a cannon lobing a 42lb chunk of granite for a stone age shootout to anyone swallowing an LSD capsule.

Last edited by Alice on 12-08-14 at 06:10PM

12-08-14 06:25PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The seeding of which Alice's questions was the playoff seeding...not the peer seeding into pools.

Top seeds were first done by record. Brady and DTYounger/TerrorisT were both undefeated. DSC was supposed to be used, but therein lay the curveballs. DTY/TerrorisT had one fewer game scheduled because they were in the short pool. That was compounded by the forfeit they received from Team Impossible To Spell.

The forfeit came after Team ITS practiced, so the umpire had the eventual champs do a practice and a Draw Shot Challenge...which they did not do very well.

In the end, it first appeared that Brady would be the top seed. Then it was determined that the DSC score from the forfeit would be thrown out. That made Brady the 2 seed in the playoffs. Wild stuff. Hard to call. I've given it some thought and now understand the thinking behind tossing the bad score: Would then all forfeits require teams to show up for a practice and DSC even if the forfeit was made long in advance?

As for OOM points for a TV event: If they weren't playing in this NBC event, all the teams could have been somewhere else earning points. Same thinking can apply to the Continental Cup. I don't like it much...but like the DSC seeding, I understand the thinking and it is not without logic.

Ben Tucker

12-08-14 08:39PM
Alice
Swing Artist

Was that playoff seeding rule change made before or after the committee which made the change was aware that not to do so would mean the two teams with Anderson sisters would have to play against each other in the first playoff game and thus not give one of them the luxury of being the first seed playing a team tired from the only tiebreaker game?

Who was on that committee? Anyone on that committee also on the USCA ethics committee? Anyone on either of those committees on the Team USA staff?

Last edited by Alice on 12-08-14 at 08:42PM

12-08-14 10:50PM
Alice
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
... Wild stuff. Hard to call. I've given it some thought and now understand the thinking behind tossing the bad score: Would then all forfeits require teams to show up for a practice and DSC even if the forfeit was made long in advance?

Ben Tucker

Yes. To do otherwise encourages playoff seeding manoeuvering which can easily result in the sort of fiasco badminton had in the London Olympics, especially if one "club" has more than one team playing. Tossing an LSD after a forfeit even before the start of practice allows the winning team a full-value win without the risk of an LSD disaster (or benefit of a draw to the button!) when LSD totals might trump tiebreakers.

Given OOM points for mixed doubles will likely be at stake next year where reaching higher rungs of playoffs in several past years gives more points, I'd hope the rules committee(s) would be aiming at the most strict rules possible starting with no backroom rule changes once a tournament starts. We'll always have tiebreakers, skip LSDs, or coin tosses to solve these "novel" situations which will always arise through no fault of the curlers.

12-08-14 11:16PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

As for OOM points for a TV event: If they weren't playing in this NBC event, all the teams could have been somewhere else earning points. Same thinking can apply to the Continental Cup. I don't like it much...but like the DSC seeding, I understand the thinking and it is not without logic.

Ben Tucker

I think one problem is that the rules are being made by a group of people who have a vested interest in several of the teams that are competing. Seems like a conflict of interest. You're giving the keys to the prison to 4 prisoners to make the rules up for the entire prison population. What's going to happen with that? I think we're seeing that now.

The people who run the Continental Cup or other events which invite teams to their events for OOM points don't have a direct vested interest in one team over another.

12-16-14 10:33AM
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

From a Winnipeg Free Press article:

But Stoughton also points out, that in his opinion, the true measure of Canadian curling teams is taken at playdowns time, when the lights are the hottest. "The whole idea is you still have to perform your best at the right time. And for me, I always wanted to be my best in early February so that I could get to that Brier and perform really well in March.
"For me, that's always been the ultimate goal."

I'm guessing Jeff wouldn't believe in the US HP philosophy that success in October/November means you'll be the best in March.

Nina picks up 6 valuable points at the Canadian Open by winning two games and losing the C qualifier. How is it fair that she gets more points for 1 win at this event than some teams get for winning a whole spiel? Should you get 3 points for beating a top 20 team no matter where you play them?

12-22-14 09:15AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Is Al Hackner still a U.S coach? If not they should give him residency and put him on a HP Team. He has now made the finals of Bemidji, Duluth and Mesabi. Farbelow takes the Men's title and Brown loses the finals to a tough Canadian team. Craig Brown makes the playoffs but the rest of the HP teams do not.

I would like to see a Monday morning press conference from the HP leaders similar to the NFL head coaches. It would be interesting to hear what they would have to say after this weekend and how they see the current state of the HP teams and whether any more adjustments are planned.

Last edited by biterbar on 12-22-14 at 01:00PM

12-22-14 09:30AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Better edit that one, Biterbar, to include Hackner making the finals in Bemidji. I suppose there are days when The Ice Man, Fenson, Phill, Benton and Ann look and think, "Yeah, I think we coaches could do better than that."

Nice to see Farbs and Richie win that one. Smart guys. I can't remember the last time I saw KJ curl.

A "press conference" or some type of presentation would pretty cool every Monday. They could look at key ends and key shots. Then we could all learn stuff.

Ben Tucker

12-22-14 09:54AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So...assuming the list at shotrockcurling is correct (safe bet) and that my understanding of the process is complete (not quite as safe, but pretty safe if the rules posted by the USCA are to be followed...no comment...) we know who the autoqualifiers are:

Mens: H. McCormick (OOM #1), Shuster (OOM #2), C. Brown (HPP selection), K. Dropkin (HPP selection 2 as Junior Team).

Passed over will be the Clark Rink *despite their having a higher OOM than the Dropkin Rink* Clark will be headed to the Challenge Round (Assuming he registered for it...which I am comfortable assuming...).

5 teams will qualify from the Men's Challenge Round, 1 from the Junior Nationals (Champion). Should Dropkin win Junior Nats, the 6th Challenge team scenario comes into play.

Womens: Sormunen (OOM), Roth (OOM), Christensen (HPP Junior), D. McCormick (OOM #3 under scenario 2).

Lank is passed over by Christensen because HPP...6 teams will qualify from the challenge round unless Christensen somehow loses Junior Nationals, in which case that team qualifies as well.

12-22-14 10:13AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Actually, Lank and Brown passed McCormick this weekend at Curl Mesabi classic. So Lank gets the spot as OOM #3.

Lank 6.65
Brown 6.035
McCormick 5.861

Roth, Sormunen, McCormick, Shuster are the likely World teams unless they don't make top 3 in K'zoo.

JH

12-22-14 11:19AM
d1ruehl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for d1ruehl Click here to Send d1ruehl a Private Message Find more posts by d1ruehl Add d1ruehl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d1ruehl
Knee-Slider

Shot Rocks site was wrong with points, Farbelow should have had more points than Dropkin (7.13 over 7.005). Farbelow just passed the Clark rink after this weekend in Eveleth. But due to the new rules on automatic qualifiers to nationals the Farbelow rink did not register for playdowns. If the rules would have stayed the same, they/we would have registered.