Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mixed doubles becomes Olympic in 2018

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-08-15 12:48PM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mixed doubles becomes Olympic in 2018

From the IOC:
http://www.olympic.org/news/new-eve...ang-2018/246262

from the WCF:
http://www.worldcurling.org/mixed-d...yeongchang-2018

Very excited about this news. A great deal to the sport of curling!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-08-15 02:06PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Not sure excited is the word I would use. But, I suppose doubles tennis exists. I don't have to watch doubles (tennis, curling etc) or even care, but it can still happen and someone out there might be happier for it.

06-08-15 05:07PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont know. im of 2 minds. on the one hand it gets curling on tv more

on the other hand mixed doubles is only 7 years old and it seems like it might be way to soon to put this on the olympic program . its not very popular even among curlers and i dont think enough fans really know enough about it yet.There are multiple curlers i have seen who also do not like this decision at all

Last edited by misty1 on 06-08-15 at 05:19PM

06-08-15 05:17PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

I like that mixed doubles exists and that there's a world championship for it, but I'm not a real fan of adding it to the Olympics.

It will be interesting to see how the qualification and team selection process works out for this.

06-08-15 05:24PM
tomsephton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tomsephton Click here to Send tomsephton a Private Message Find more posts by tomsephton Add tomsephton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomsephton
Harvey Hacksmasher

Very excited about this development. This could be the vehicle we need to get the 20-35 demographic back in the curling clubs. It's fast, technical and demanding. The key to success is having good ice. All in all, this is good for the sport!

06-08-15 05:38PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

The big question that has so far gone unanswered is what will the IOC do with the athletes quota for curling. Curling it is 100 athletes, 50 of each gender for two sets of ten team tournaments. If the IOC does not increase the WCF's quota then the WCF will be forced to cut the number of teams who can compete in the Olympics. (And yes, there have been several instances in Olympic history where International Sports Federations have had to decrease the number of athletes in one event to accommodate entrants for a new event.)

For example two 8 team tournaments for the men and women plus a 10 team field for Mixed Doubles still adds up to 100.

06-08-15 06:26PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

I hate mixed doubles. I guess this is good news as barefoot short game while drinking a large Guiness is one step closer to being an Olympic sport.

06-08-15 09:01PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I hate the format and hate watching it even more.

That being said, if it brings more attention to curling and helps it grow, this is a very good thing.

Hopefully it won't diminish traditional curling at the Olympics, especially when it comes to broadcast coverage. There is room for both.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

06-08-15 10:16PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

My theory is that more curling is a good thing.

For me, it's probably the fear of the unknown. I've never watched it, never played it and don't really know a lot about the game--as far as strategy and getting a feel for the game.

Saying that, it's a great opportunity to start a league at my club and try it out.

One thing I always struggle with is forming a team. Hard to get people to commit to a team or a bonspiel. It's pretty easy to ask the wife or someone else to take part. Two is easier than four to manage schedules and going into events.

Last edited by Wally Curler on 06-09-15 at 08:48AM

06-08-15 11:37PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

They could fit this in without increasing the athlete count (significantly) pretty easily...

Tell nations they can bring 10 curlers total,
5 men if they've qualified for Men's
5 women if they've qualified for Women's.

If they have also qualified in Mixed, their team must come from that 5 pack.

The only additional slots would have to be for nations that didn't qualify a men's or women's team at all (so 2 curlers), or for a nation that only qualified in one gender (1 additonal curler).

*maybe* 10 extra athletes tops...that fits.

06-08-15 11:49PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

Alan, that is another option, but it presents a problem. The number of nations that qualifies both teams to the Olympics will fluctuate. Yes, the Host Nation, Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, and Great Britain are all guaranteed, but beyond that there are no guarantees that nations will send ten curlers. That means the number of extra spots needed to fill out Mixed Doubles can changed from Olympics to Olympics. It is an option, and I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'm not convinced the IOC would buy into it.

Also, another problem with having the Team Alternates comprise the Mixed Doubles team is the potential of having to play back-to-back-to-back in the event of illness or injury, not to mention some teams would then have an unfair advantage when it comes to matching stones, scouting the competition, etc.

I think the best case scenario would be for the IOC to increase the quota to 120, but I have not seen anything in media discussing the WCF's quota and that worries me.

06-09-15 03:17AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by SargentIV
Alan, that is another option, but it presents a problem. The number of nations that qualifies both teams to the Olympics will fluctuate. Yes, the Host Nation, Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, and Great Britain are all guaranteed, but beyond that there are no guarantees that nations will send ten curlers. That means the number of extra spots needed to fill out Mixed Doubles can changed from Olympics to Olympics. It is an option, and I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'm not convinced the IOC would buy into it.

Also, another problem with having the Team Alternates comprise the Mixed Doubles team is the potential of having to play back-to-back-to-back in the event of illness or injury, not to mention some teams would then have an unfair advantage when it comes to matching stones, scouting the competition, etc.

I think the best case scenario would be for the IOC to increase the quota to 120, but I have not seen anything in media discussing the WCF's quota and that worries me.

I'm not familiar with the whole quota system, is there any reason the IOC wouldn't want to increase the WCF athlete quota?

06-09-15 09:56AM
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

The short answer is that the IOC gives a quota to each governing body for athletes at the Olympics. The organizations then decide how to divide that number across the events that have been approved for the Olympic program. If the IOC approves of an additional event(s) for the program they may decide not to increase the quota which means the sports federation will have to take spots from one or more events to make room for additional event(s). A more drastic example can be seen in the news that has been coming out. The IOC approved of Snowboarding's additional Big Air event, but to make room for that event the FIS has had to eliminate Parallel Giant Slalom from the program altogether.

Here is a more detailed explantion:

Each international sports federation (ISF) receives a quota. The WCF gets 100 spots, Gymnastics (the FIG) gets I believe 396, FIFA gets 504, etc. I don't know the exact details of how the IOC goes about deciding what sports get however many spots, but basically each ISF is awarded a spot(s) on the Olympic program for their sport, any applicable discipline (eg. FINA [which governs aquatics] has four disciplines: Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, and Synchronized Swimming), and events within those sports (100m Freestyle, 200m Freestyle, etc). Each ISF gets a certain degree of latitude (with approval of the IOC [and I believe it is only the Executive Board in this case]) regarding how many spots are given to each discipline and event.

A good example is in gymnastics. In the United States many people will remember the Magnificent Seven from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, but the Fantastic Five from three years ago, this is because the FIG has reallocated their quota. After Atlanta the IOC approved of the addition of Trampoline to the Olympic program, but did not increase the quota for the FIG* which meant the powers that be had to find room for an additional 32 trampolinists by cutting spots from other events. Part of the solution was to cut, by one, the number of athletes the top 15 nations could send to the Olympics.** ISF's are forced to do this fairly often. Fencing has had to do this to add women's events and sports like Wrestling with weight divisions have also had to make similar cuts with the expansion of women's sports.

*It's worth noting the Gymnastics is far more popular (especially with TV [read: $$$]) than Curling and yet the IOC did not increase the FIG's quota. Also, the FIG is a Tier One sport (in terms of revenue sharing and general over prestige), but they have far fewer spots than the IAAF, FINA, plus some other sports that are not Tier One.
**The team competition was cut to five after the 2008 Olympics because the FIG's qualification system oddly prohibited two Slovenians, who had won Gold and Silver medals at three World Championships, from going to the Olympics.

06-09-15 10:02AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

One thing to note though is that the Winter Olympics have a little more wiggle room than the Summer ones, as the size of the event is much, much smaller (2,780 in Sochi vs 10,768 in London).

Adding 20 more athletes (which would be the number needed for a 10 team Mixed Doubles curling event, seeing as how alternates are not allowed) should be doable.

The loss of parallel giant slalom wasn't an athlete count issue as much as a field of play issue...parallel giant slalom required a separate track not used for any other event, or at the very least a repurposing of one of the existing skiing courses for parallel use. Mixed Doubles curling doesn't run afoul of that issue, as it fits on the existing curling venue, and requires no different equipment at all, just a higher use of the existing venue and equipment.

06-09-15 10:05AM
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

I'm not familiar with the whole quota system, is there any reason the IOC wouldn't want to increase the WCF athlete quota?

Sorry, I realized I didn't actually answer this question, I just explained the quota system.

One reason why the IOC wouldn't want to expand the quota is because of 'gigantism', namely the problem with the Olympics getting overly large. (Remember the Winter Olympics used to be held in idyllic mountain villages/resorts, now a host city needs five arenas just for the indoor ice events, preferably with three of them large, and then there is the stadium for the Opening Ceremonies.) Of course, large bodies like the IOC often say one thing and do another so that may strike some people as a lame excuse, but it is the reality.

Another reason could be any type of closed-door politicking between the IOC and the WCF, as well as the IOC and other Winter sports governing bodies, but that is getting into the realm of speculation.

It's worth noting that more financially lucrative sports (like gymnastics) have expanded their program in the past without receiving an increased quota.

06-09-15 11:25AM
Russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Russ Click here to Send Russ a Private Message Find more posts by Russ Add Russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Russ
Harvey Hacksmasher

"A shift in priority has occurred in an era of outsize television contracts as Olympic officials seek to add more telegenic sports and more widely visible stars in hopes of maintaining a sense of relevance, modernity and youthfulness in the Winter and the Summer Games."

This is how they explained the exclusion of wrestling from the Olympics. Fast forward eight years and this statement will apply to traditional curling.

06-09-15 11:29AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Hardly.

Wrestling's issue was that their viewer numbers were abysmal, thier gender equity was nonexistent, and their willingness to bend to the Olympic whim was zero.

Curling, on the other hand, is the best rated sport in the Winter Olympics save Figure Skating (in the US...seriously, it outdrew Hockey here), it is perfectly balanced between the genders, and the WCF will bend over backwards for the IOC.

Curling is safe for the foreseeable future. Getting the additonal event is just more evidence of that.

06-09-15 11:34AM
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wrestling has not been eliminated from the Olympic program. It was not selected as a core sport which means it will have to fight harder for its place on the program, than say Track and Field or Figure Skating. And one big reason why they found themselves in such a difficult situation was because they had a very ineffectual President, who has since resigned. For more information on this see Alan Abrahamson's blog 3wiresports.com.

Also, one thing that Curling has going for it is that there is much less competition for inclusion to the Olympic program than the Summer version.

06-09-15 05:21PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by SargentIV

Sorry, I realized I didn't actually answer this question, I just explained the quota system.

One reason why the IOC wouldn't want to expand the quota is because of 'gigantism', namely the problem with the Olympics getting overly large. (Remember the Winter Olympics used to be held in idyllic mountain villages/resorts, now a host city needs five arenas just for the indoor ice events, preferably with three of them large, and then there is the stadium for the Opening Ceremonies.) Of course, large bodies like the IOC often say one thing and do another so that may strike some people as a lame excuse, but it is the reality.

Another reason could be any type of closed-door politicking between the IOC and the WCF, as well as the IOC and other Winter sports governing bodies, but that is getting into the realm of speculation.

It's worth noting that more financially lucrative sports (like gymnastics) have expanded their program in the past without receiving an increased quota.

Thanks for the clarification!

06-09-15 05:36PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Quota

I'd like to assume that the IOC and WCF will simply add 20 athletes to the program and there will be no problem.

On the other hand, I tend to err on the side of pessimism and cynicism, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Either the field would have to be cut down to 8 teams, or they could just eliminate alternates. With teams of 4 there would still be room for 10 teams under the current quota.
Cutting the traditional event down to 8 teams would really suck, and removing alternates would put additional pressure and strain on the teams.

In regards to an 8-team tournament, assuming the WCF went with a similar qualification system as 2014:

Canada would have nothing to worry about, and obviously the host team gets their automatic entry, but it would be a really tight race for the remaining six spots to say the least.

Of course, this is all speculation. Like I said, I'm confident that the quota will be increased and it will be business as usual for the traditional event. According to the WCF website the event will have ten teams and the qualification format will be the same...of course, that was before yesterday's big news and things could always change.

I guess we shall see.

Last edited by Phil_D on 06-09-15 at 06:07PM

06-09-15 10:05PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Regular mixed curling would have been more appropriate, however I think the reason for Mixed Doubles is to give non-traditional curling countries a better shot at a medal. Canadians really don't care much for the format and, although they still have to be considered medal contenders, take a look at the countries that have made the podium in the past several years. To be honest, the Kiwis, or Kangaroos or Spanish would be a welcome addition to the international game.

06-09-15 10:21PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

FWIW, assuming this is still accurate it looks like it will be a sixteen-team event:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/curlin...ogram-1.1576339

06-10-15 11:56AM
ExPat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExPat Click here to Send ExPat a Private Message Find more posts by ExPat Add ExPat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExPat
Knee-Slider

Smile

This is simply fabulous news for our sport of curling. Good things come to those who wait

06-10-15 01:41PM
peglegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peglegg Find more posts by peglegg Add peglegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peglegg
Hitting Paint

Disagree, not sure why this is great news for the game. It takes away from the real game and those athletes. In reality how much more coverage is TV going to give to curling? They pretty much cover all draws as it is now for a tournament that runs longer than anything else at the Games.
Is like adding a Shootout competition to the Hockey program.

06-10-15 03:54PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by peglegg
Disagree, not sure why this is great news for the game. It takes away from the real game and those athletes. In reality how much more coverage is TV going to give to curling? They pretty much cover all draws as it is now for a tournament that runs longer than anything else at the Games.
Is like adding a Shootout competition to the Hockey program.

Agreed, they just started the world mixed curling championships (4 person teams), so why not go with that. That is 8 ends and is pretty exciting to watch. That is teh event the WCF should be promoting not that silly mixed doubles.