Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Zone /regional locations

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-14-15 01:46PM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

Zone /regional locations

I know it's been said/bitched before, but can't hosting for various Ontario event play downs be held in more favourable locations? Not snow belt areas, 2 1/2 hours for most people to travel. Should be no more than an hour from the 401. Safety should be the first priority. Sorry fringe clubs, but as an example seniors region 4 this weekend in Kincardin? Getting snowed in is not out of the question up there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-14-15 03:01PM
Shawno8079 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shawno8079 Click here to Send Shawno8079 a Private Message Find more posts by Shawno8079 Add Shawno8079 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shawno8079
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have a couple comments on this. First of all no one should complain about having to travel a significant distance for zones. If you chose to parachute to a zone other than the one you live in, that is your choice and travel is your own concern. Secondly, in the case of regions being in Kincardine why is it fair for the teams in this zone to have to travel every year for 2.5 hours (Kincardine to Niagara Falls, or Windsor would be significantly more than 2.5 hours)? Regions are rotated between the four zones each year so arguably every forth year (at the very least) you will have a region close to your location. Why should a rural zone such as 14 be expected to always travel?

01-14-15 07:19PM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Shawno8079
I have a couple comments on this. First of all no one should complain about having to travel a significant distance for zones. If you chose to parachute to a zone other than the one you live in, that is your choice and travel is your own concern. Secondly, in the case of regions being in Kincardine why is it fair for the teams in this zone to have to travel every year for 2.5 hours (Kincardine to Niagara Falls, or Windsor would be significantly more than 2.5 hours)? Regions are rotated between the four zones each year so arguably every forth year (at the very least) you will have a region close to your location. Why should a rural zone such as 14 be expected to always travel?

I wasn't addressing parachuting whatsoever. Point taken though.
On your second point, I agree. Kincardine isn't even in the realm of being close to anything. You are correct, if anyone drives from Windsor or the golden horse shoe area, they are in for a real treat. 3 1/2 - 4 hours min. Kincardine sits in the middle of a snow belt, with very few road options out of the place. White-outs are common and blow in off the lake.

My whole point here. especially for regions is keep them at clubs that are no further away than say, an hour either side of the 401.

Last edited by CURLING NUTS on 01-14-15 at 07:24PM

01-14-15 08:37PM
Shawno8079 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shawno8079 Click here to Send Shawno8079 a Private Message Find more posts by Shawno8079 Add Shawno8079 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shawno8079
Harvey Hacksmasher

And my point was why do the people who live near Kincardine not have the right to have a region close to them every few years?

01-14-15 09:59PM
curlingwatcher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingwatcher Click here to Send curlingwatcher a Private Message Find more posts by curlingwatcher Add curlingwatcher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingwatcher
Knee-Slider

What about the teams from Northern Ontario that have to travel 7 to 10 hours to get to their Provincials or 3 or more hours to get to their Regionals. Southern Ontario has it easy compared to other provinces or regions.

Last edited by curlingwatcher on 01-14-15 at 10:08PM

01-15-15 01:12AM
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Shawno8079
And my point was why do the people who live near Kincardine not have the right to have a region close to them every few years?

And my point was, keep the play downs central to the majority of the clubs in the regionals. Not up in the extreme end of the regions. Zone 14 had a grand total of 3 senior men's teams participating this year, hardly worthy of running a zone, let alone a region.
An hour or two drive for everyone is much better than 4 hours up to a snow bound - potential weather bomb district. Safety first.

01-15-15 01:15AM
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingwatcher
What about the teams from Northern Ontario that have to travel 7 to 10 hours to get to their Provincials or 3 or more hours to get to their Regionals. Southern Ontario has it easy compared to other provinces or regions.

That runs with the territory, the population and the distance between towns. There aren't any other options up there. We do.

01-15-15 12:37PM
Shawno8079
Harvey Hacksmasher

So there are 3 teams in the zone this year for seniors? First of all, now one knew that when the region was put in Kincardine. Secondly, I dont believe the number of teams is as reflective as the results of the teams that do enter the zone. Zone 14 has had alot of success in the last couple or three years:

Scotties - 2 provincial berths
- One provincial championship

Tankard - 2 pronvical berths

Mixed - 1 provincial berth

Schoolboy - 1 provincial chmpionship

Senior Men - One provincial berth

Bantam Girls - One provincial championship

Bantam Mixed - One provincial championship

I am sure I am missing some as well, those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

So at the end of the day as a zone 14 resident, I dont believe I should have to travel for regions every year!

01-15-15 03:48PM
briang is offline Click Here to See the Profile for briang Click here to Send briang a Private Message Find more posts by briang Add briang to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
briang
Knee-Slider

Pretty simple... you know the location of zones/regions/provincials before you sign up. If you don't want to drive a significant amount of time to one of these events, then don't sign up!

01-15-15 08:32PM
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

Dudes, your missing my point. Zone 14 should get a regional every so often. Just make the clubs used, as central as possible to the rest of the entrants. Don't place it in the extreme fringe of your region in a snow blast area. Teams want to get in and out safely. That's why I suggested to keep the playdowns within an hour of the 401, which should appease everyone.
Eg. Palmerston, Walkerton, Listowel ect.

That's my $0.02