Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Talking Brushgate with Glenn Howard

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-21-15 01:33PM
Dean Gemmell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Gemmell Click here to Send Dean Gemmell a Private Message Visit Dean Gemmell's homepage! Find more posts by Dean Gemmell Add Dean Gemmell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Gemmell
Swing Artist

Talking Brushgate with Glenn Howard

Yes, Glenn was on the podcast, along with Buck Goodbrand, who directed the Team Howard documentary. We talked to Buck because the film is now available on US platforms and cable outlets and we talked to Glenn because it seems there is some brush controversy in the curling world. Here you go.

http://bit.ly/1HeGkBs

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-21-15 09:11PM
farmcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for farmcurl Click here to Send farmcurl a Private Message Find more posts by farmcurl Add farmcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
farmcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Good of Glenn to do the podcast, you raised some good points, but I understand don't want to be too pushy.

Glenn maybe plays the aw shucks integrity of the game too much, he overstates the hardness of the plastic in the icepad and its unfair the way he lumps in the icepad to what into the knockoffs that he has used. He should have made a video comparing different broom heads under the same circumstances to show the difference and not the blackhead.

11-21-15 10:34PM
s germain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s germain Click here to Send s germain a Private Message Find more posts by s germain Add s germain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s germain
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agree 100% farmcurl. Neat podcast by the way. Thanks for sharing.

11-21-15 11:54PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by farmcurl
Good of Glenn to do the podcast, you raised some good points, but I understand don't want to be too pushy.

Glenn maybe plays the aw shucks integrity of the game too much, he overstates the hardness of the plastic in the icepad and its unfair the way he lumps in the icepad to what into the knockoffs that he has used. He should have made a video comparing different broom heads under the same circumstances to show the difference and not the blackhead.

Listened to the podcast. Know damage control and spin doctoring when I hear it. BP and their teams are feeling the backlash.

11-22-15 02:27PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

"integrity"

IMO Glenn shows too much concern for the "integrity" of the game and not nearly enough enough for the "integrity" of his actions, those of his team, and those of his sponsor.

There's been an awful lot of manure on all sides of this issue, but the pile on the BP side is easily the most fragrant, IMO.

~~~

Personally, I would like to see curling go back to corn brooms. This would eliminate all the current brush-head nonsense, and it would also guarantee that conditions would always be a little bit tricky -- making the "simple shots" a bit difficult once again.

And if this happened, (i.e. if peels were no longer automatic), then we could ditch the Free Guard Zone and play the game as it was meant to be played (using the whole rings, not just the button).

It's just my opinion, and I don't expect you to share it, so you don't need to trash me for expressing it.

You don't need to worry about it happening, either. It's such an obvious win-win that it doesn't stand a snowball's chance.

11-22-15 02:39PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

The simplest and most logical solution is a moratorium on all synthetic brush heads until testing and analysis can be completed.

Allow only hair brush heads in competitive play during that time.

This too, will also never happen.

11-22-15 03:10PM
My three sons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for My three sons Find more posts by My three sons Add My three sons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My three sons
Harvey Hacksmasher

Jamcan that is one of the simplest solutions but most likely will not fly. I am challenged by all the vitriol that has been posted has been directed at BP and HL. I feel like most of these posts have come from HL directly in defense of their product. Can we get back to making this about the game.
Why does any team need a technological edge to try and beat the other team? Hasn't this been one of the great things about our sport in the last 25 years. Its been about shotmaking.
In the early 2000's we had LaRoque and Pfiefer that introduced a new element of good sweeping. Hebert and Kennedy took it to the next level and the Snappers even further yet.
Now we have let a technological element supercede brawn and make those former guys look silly. Next thing you know Middaugh and Corner will think they can make a comeback as frontenders and take a run with the Howards.
We need to discuss this on an elementary level as to what is acceptable? First from a product side. What can the players use that they feel is a level playing field. Fabric and Pad.
Secondly, the rules. The WCF sweeping rule has the following caveat which the Canadian rule does not have:
The sweeping motion is in a side-to-side direction (it need not cover the entire width of the stone), deposits no debris in front of a moving stone, and finishes to either side of the stone.

11-22-15 04:39PM
aluchko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aluchko Click here to Send aluchko a Private Message Find more posts by aluchko Add aluchko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by My three sons
Jamcan that is one of the simplest solutions but most likely will not fly. I am challenged by all the vitriol that has been posted has been directed at BP and HL. I feel like most of these posts have come from HL directly in defense of their product.

Do you mean HL has written most of the posts on this forum? That would be alleging sock puppets which I think would be a very serious allegation.

quote:
Can we get back to making this about the game.
Why does any team need a technological edge to try and beat the other team? Hasn't this been one of the great things about our sport in the last 25 years. Its been about shotmaking.
In the early 2000's we had LaRoque and Pfiefer that introduced a new element of good sweeping. Hebert and Kennedy took it to the next level and the Snappers even further yet.
Now we have let a technological element supercede brawn and make those former guys look silly. Next thing you know Middaugh and Corner will think they can make a comeback as frontenders and take a run with the Howards.

But that's all a hypothetical, the front ends who have been having success with the HL still sweep like elite front ends.

As for Middaugh and Corner remember back in 2002 when Martin went to the Olympics with Don Bartlett at lead, a 42 year old with a bad back. I suspect that team put in today's field would still be an elite team. Imagine they were playing and using IcePads, how many people would be pointing to them as "proof" that the IcePad made elite sweepers irrelevant?

quote:
We need to discuss this on an elementary level as to what is acceptable? First from a product side. What can the players use that they feel is a level playing field. Fabric and Pad.

To know what is acceptable we need to know what is possible, and we really don't.

11-23-15 02:06AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by My three sons
I am challenged by all the vitriol that has been posted has been directed at BP and HL. I feel like most of these posts have come from HL directly in defense of their product.

I've used both brooms. Like them both.

I don't have a problem with Goldline, Asham, Performance or Olson. They've all kept a low profile and from what I've heard in Goldline's case, were trying to be helpful and honour the spirit of curling through all this.

Hardline I have zero problems with as well. They're getting smeared by a moving standard that seems arbitrary and punitive, and seems to driven, not by the sporting associations, but by specific sponsored teams (and, quite likely their curling equipment sponsor). They weren't breaking the rules, they did everything they could to makes sure what they were doing was acceptable and now suddenly they're getting smeared.

My anger at Balance Plus and some of their sponsor teams is in their actions over this whole issue. Their actions have been summarized at length elsewhere, so I won't repeat them. Needless to say, I won't be buying any Balance Plus products ever again, and I know many others feel the same.

I'm not employed or sponsored by any curling company. So don't assume that I'm a Hardline employee or sponsored curler because we are calling out Balance Plus and their sponsored teams (and the WCF and Curling Canada for that matter) for their questionable ethics on how they approached this whole issue.

11-23-15 12:26PM
dnero is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dnero Click here to Send dnero a Private Message Find more posts by dnero Add dnero to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dnero
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherHack

I've used both brooms. Like them both.

I don't have a problem with Goldline, Asham, Performance or Olson. They've all kept a low profile and from what I've heard in Goldline's case, were trying to be helpful and honour the spirit of curling through all this.

Hardline I have zero problems with as well. They're getting smeared by a moving standard that seems arbitrary and punitive, and seems to driven, not by the sporting associations, but by specific sponsored teams (and, quite likely their curling equipment sponsor). They weren't breaking the rules, they did everything they could to makes sure what they were doing was acceptable and now suddenly they're getting smeared.

My anger at Balance Plus and some of their sponsor teams is in their actions over this whole issue. Their actions have been summarized at length elsewhere, so I won't repeat them. Needless to say, I won't be buying any Balance Plus products ever again, and I know many others feel the same.

I'm not employed or sponsored by any curling company. So don't assume that I'm a Hardline employee or sponsored curler because we are calling out Balance Plus and their sponsored teams (and the WCF and Curling Canada for that matter) for their questionable ethics on how they approached this whole issue.

Couldn't have said it better myself

11-23-15 01:20PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agree and this is a common sentiment. Great summary Nov 23 by Dean Gemmel via Twitter.

11-25-15 01:46PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by shaqdaddy
Agree and this is a common sentiment. Great summary Nov 23 by Dean Gemmel via Twitter.

Dean is a decent and articulate guy and makes a lot of good points in his Twitter summary.

I don't agree with him entirely on his views towards Balance Plus and their sponsored teams, as I feel like they crossed the line, repeatedly, with their actions. And that is why I won't be supporting them in the future, which is really the only effective way I can voice my disapproval of a company's actions.

But I do understand the reasoning behind what they did, even if I despise they actions.

Well, this is only going to get more and more interesting as the lawsuits start to fly.

11-25-15 03:28PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Have to agree. Threatening to shame and harass teams using a competitors product over untested and unproven allegations goes completely against the spirit of the game and goods sportsmanship.

Their actions look increasingly bad as the teams they finger ed (McEwen and Gushue ) changed their brooms and continue to win.

As much as I hope it doesn't happen, a part of me wishes Hardline does take legal action.

11-25-15 04:47PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Glenn should be careful w integrity of game comments re brushes. They've announced they will curl out of St Georges Toronto for play downs. While Middaugh had life membership there due to world title, this is a parachute move. Likely to avoid bad ice in smaller towns in their Penetang/Midland region. This was a big problem last year. High integrity? Hmmmm

11-25-15 06:14PM
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by shaqdaddy
Glenn should be careful w integrity of game comments re brushes. They've announced they will curl out of St Georges Toronto for play downs. While Middaugh had life membership there due to world title, this is a parachute move. Likely to avoid bad ice in smaller towns in their Penetang/Midland region. This was a big problem last year. High integrity? Hmmmm

Meh... teams jump around different clubs all the time (in Ontario) for zones/regionals anyway. If you pay the fees, play out of any club you want.

Switching clubs to gain an advantage of some sort is a risky move anyway. It doesn't always work out in the way you may want... so if what your claiming is their reason for switching is correct, it still isn't a guarantee that qualifying is going to be any easier.

11-26-15 12:33AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
Have to agree. Threatening to shame and harass teams using a competitors product over untested and unproven allegations goes completely against the spirit of the game and goods sportsmanship.

Their actions look increasingly bad as the teams they finger ed (McEwen and Gushue ) changed their brooms and continue to win.

As much as I hope it doesn't happen, a part of me wishes Hardline does take legal action.

I am not a fan of the notion of shaming or harassing teams, so I agree there.

But the point about McEwen and Gushue is meaningless. Glenn said in the podcast they could win with whatever. Doesn't mean they should have any extra advantages (I'm not saying Hardline teams had any extra advantages, but the Howard team, and many other, obviously felt like they did).

11-26-15 10:58AM
Skid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skid Click here to Send Skid a Private Message Find more posts by Skid Add Skid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skid
Harvey Hacksmasher

What about when team Howard asked Team Laycock to change brooms and not use there hardline brooms at one of the Slams and Laycock said No.
Why should Laycock not use the company that is sponsoring him? Howard could have used Hardline broom if they thought it would have given them an advantage but I do not think Balance Plus would have approved.