Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-27-15 02:32PM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

Nolans Notes: Expansion will only help curling, period.

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...expansion-blog/

"If you feel passionately about curling and want it to succeed at the grassroots or elite level then do something about it, dont just complain. I challenge everyone on social media that if you have a thought for a new format, a new way that you think more curlers can be included in these lucrative events, reach out and pass it along and try to make a difference."

here is me trying to make a difference:

I would really like to see slams with lots of teams, so that lower ranked teams get the chance to play these big events. still would like to see that 32 team triple knock out in a slam, or any other format that gives more teams the chance, besides the usual 18 teams or so.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-27-15 02:57PM
hit_paint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit_paint Click here to Send hit_paint a Private Message Find more posts by hit_paint Add hit_paint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit_paint
Harvey Hacksmasher

I would just like to know how it will be possible for second tier teams to earn their way into a Slam now through the point system (excluding supposed new bonspiels with direct entry for the winner)?

Lets say the top teams play in all 7 or 8 Slams where they earn 4 OOM points per win and 18 points for qualifying. Not to mention 40 points awarded to the winner. How are second tier teams supposed to earn enough points to catch up with the top teams? Because of the number of Grand Slams, coupled with Canada Cup, Continental Cup, Skins game, Provincials and Nationals, this leaves the top teams only 2 or 3 weekends where they will play WCT events. Without the top teams playing regular WCT bonspiels, the Strength of Field will go down which results in even less points being awarded per event.

In order for an event to give out a substantial amount of points the event needs to have a certain amount of teams within the top 10 on the OOM competing. With the amount of other events on their schedule I just don't see any of the top teams playing more than 3 WCT events. Just my thoughts though, would love to hear what everyone else's opinion is on the situation?

01-27-15 03:18PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

hit_paint, these are great questions, and I won't pretend to have all the answers. You have some valid concerns. I'd encourage you to look at the current CTRS standings and click around a little bit. It seems to me that the best way to earn points is not just to play in the top events, but to play in LOTS of events. Adam Casey is a young team that's making a splash this year - yet only 9 of their current CTRS points have come from playing in Slams. They've played in lots of other events, with smaller strength-of-field mutipliers, but the accumulated small amounts have added up to a high enough point total to be ranked #10. Don Bowser hasn't played in a Slam, but has still picked up enough points to be #12 by playing lots of smaller events. I hope (and based on what I've read from the people at play, I think we can safely assume) that the expanded Slams will allow teams like Bowser, who have kind of come out of nowhere to have a great season this year, to qualify for Slams earlier in the season.

It seems to me that the teams who make the effort to travel and play in good events will be rewarded.

01-27-15 03:20PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by hit_paint
I would just like to know how it will be possible for second tier teams to earn their way into a Slam now through the point system (excluding supposed new bonspiels with direct entry for the winner)?

Lets say the top teams play in all 7 or 8 Slams where they earn 4 OOM points per win and 18 points for qualifying. Not to mention 40 points awarded to the winner. How are second tier teams supposed to earn enough points to catch up with the top teams? Because of the number of Grand Slams, coupled with Canada Cup, Continental Cup, Skins game, Provincials and Nationals, this leaves the top teams only 2 or 3 weekends where they will play WCT events. Without the top teams playing regular WCT bonspiels, the Strength of Field will go down which results in even less points being awarded per event.

In order for an event to give out a substantial amount of points the event needs to have a certain amount of teams within the top 10 on the OOM competing. With the amount of other events on their schedule I just don't see any of the top teams playing more than 3 WCT events. Just my thoughts though, would love to hear what everyone else's opinion is on the situation?

Only 1 of the new Grand Slams will be added in the Fall Tour season, and that's at the beginning of the season in September. The rest of the Fall season is unchanged.

The new Slams with be in January (8th event added in 2016/17) and an additional event in April. I don't expect to see major changes to how teams approach the season.

In addition, some simple math will show that just playing the Slams and finishing in the bottom half of the field will not get you back in the next season. 3 points per win and winning 2 games on average would net you 6 points per event. You'd play 5 events netting yourself about 30 points, not getting you anywhere close to the points required. If you're good enough, you can get 30 points just by Qualifying in 2 max point events on Tour and there will still be enough of those events with teams still needing to play games.

You also wouldn't qualify for the Elite 10, Players' Championship or the Champions Cup at the end of the season either as they're based on the current season points.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-27-15 03:30PM
hit_paint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit_paint Click here to Send hit_paint a Private Message Find more posts by hit_paint Add hit_paint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit_paint
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Only 1 of the new Grand Slams will be added in the Fall Tour season, and that's at the beginning of the season in September. The rest of the Fall season is unchanged.

The new Slams with be in January (8th event added in 2016/17) and an additional event in April. I don't expect to see major changes to how teams approach the season.

In addition, some simple math will show that just playing the Slams and finishing in the bottom half of the field will not get you back in the next season. 3 points per win and winning 2 games on average would net you 6 points per event. You'd play 5 events netting yourself about 30 points, not getting you anywhere close to the points required. If you're good enough, you can get 30 points just by Qualifying in 2 max point events on Tour and there will still be enough of those events with teams still needing to play games.

You also wouldn't qualify for the Elite 10, Players' Championship or the Champions Cup at the end of the season either as they're based on the current season points.

Thank you for responding Gerry. I was in no way insinuating that top teams could sustain their points by simply just playing in the Grand Slams. I was concerned that with the amount of added Slams that the top teams would drop out of regular WCT stops thus making those events worth even less points. I guess I should have carefully looked over the new dates of the added Slams. Although I still do believe that the top teams well need to lighten their schedule in some way.

01-27-15 03:31PM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

The solution to this is have a wide range in the number of teams participating in each slam. One slam has maybe 30 participating teams and another slam has only like the top 8 teams competing. This would create opportunity for a lot of teams to participate in a slam and it would also mean that the higher you climb up the ladder, the more slams you can participate in. You dont have the same teams participating each time and teams can climb up the ladder by doing well in slams.

Actually a similar problem already existed in Europe, where there are a lot of entries for CCT events. This meant that a lot of B division teams and unranked teams just dont get into tour events. This has lead to the creation of the CCT challenger series, a second tier tour series that gives lower ranked teams the opportunity to earn some points and play their way into the "CCT master series" which are bassically the regular tour events.

01-27-15 04:18PM
skeebop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeebop Find more posts by skeebop Add skeebop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeebop
Harvey Hacksmasher

I read Nolan's blog post.

Compared to 10 or 20 years ago. Yes we have way more people watching on TV. We also have an even larger decrease in the people that play our sport though.

I guess if he judges success the same as the CCA by TV revenue and winning worlds/olympics our sport is in great shape. I'd rather see the curling clubs full and surviving through. So many provincials now are direct entry or fields are cut in half because no one plays.

The amount of money the select few get from CCA funds and sponsor money from the GSOC events makes the dream of winning the brier, which was really hard 15 years ago, to why even bother now for most of us.

Even just getting to a brier isnt worth it anymore when you have to realize you may win your first provincial then not make it through relegation.

/rant

01-27-15 05:24PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

it's not an either/or proposition. we can have great elite curling levels and packed curling clubs at the same time.

the st. vital curling club in winnipeg had to start a second junior league after the success of jennifer jones's team in sochi. parents were calling and wanting their children to get involved in the sport.

as has been discussed ad nauseum, societal and cultural factors have had a far greater impact on club numbers than the small amount of curlers who might have a sad face because their road to a national championship is marginally more difficult for them than it may have been 10, 20, 30 years ago. people don't stop golfing because they won't make the pga tour.

01-27-15 07:01PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

My bad on the name (the "T" & "F" are too damn close on the keyboard).

I too read Nolan's somewhat passionate article on the slam. I also read the one that he'd written back in January, 2014. It's nice to know that curling is booming in Winnipeg-if there's one major place in Canada where curling has to be booming, it's at "Portage & Main". The same cannot be said for other major cities east of the Soo. The reasons are many and varied.

Back to the topic-while an event in Asia is desirable in order to maintain growth, especially in Korea (the Koreans should be in the World Championships this year-another story), the problem would be televising the games back to Canada-it will also be difficult to convince the top rinks from Canada to go over there unless there's something "Major" in it. I know that they played in Japan in December, but there wasn't a whole lot of media.

The real problem with having a "Grand Slams" is that, unlike golf the number of entrants is extremely limited. You can't have, for example, the equivalent of a Canadian or US Open in golf when there are only 4-5 sheets of ice and enough space for only 4 draws a day...and (unlike golf), all of the competitors are taking time off from their "real" jobs in order to play. The fields are also limited to less than 20 rinks. The largest purse on the tour is $100K-that is broken down into 8 money winners-the top prize is $25K and that is split at least 4 ways. That has to be the next goal-finding a way to increase the size of the fields while not increasing the time needed to play the event. This will mean using more than just one curling club. Is that possible?

The WCT has made fantastic strides in a VERY short period of time. I know that 12 years may seem like an eternity for a lot of you but trust me it's really a VERY short period of time when taken in context. What you do not want to do is over-extend yourselves to the point where you have to cut back one of these proposed extra slams. Stay with the 4-the PGA prioritizes its non-slam tour events-so can curling.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 01-28-15 at 11:43AM

01-28-15 02:35PM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

I do like Nolan's idea of "winner of tour event X receives a funded trip to the next slam" or something similar to that.

That would really help the teams who receive Slam invitations but have to decline due to the cost.

02-12-15 09:26AM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

so chatting last night with some friends at the rink and got onto this topic. Again I'm all for growing the game and making teams better ect... but with 8 slams that will be a teams whole year. McEwen or teams like that will play those 8 slams and thats it.
The teams that are in the slams now have 8 events where they can make so many crts points that no other team will have an opportunity to catch them. How is that making the game better? Your pretty much saying top 20 teams are going to play 8 events(slams) and it will be the same 20 teams every time because no other team can get as many points from a normal wct event to get invited.
So your top 20 have no pressure to play better because nobody can take their spot on points. Is this supposed to be growing the game? Seems to be the opposite right. Growing the game to me means having it so the gap between your top teams and mid pack teams tightens. The only way that happens is if the mid pack teams get to play big events against the top teams.

If the top teams play 8 slams thats the whole season for most of them. So to me thats a giant middle finger to all the other wct events and all the mid teams trying to become a team like mcewen. With 4 slams winning 1 means something. With 8 it has just become another bonspiel. There is a reason Jack only won 18 majors in golf.
Now I know not to many people care for my opinion but here it is anyway, Have 4 slams,(majors), the other 4 have as qualifying events for the slams. Each slam gets 1 qualifing event. Have your top 15 crts get invites to the slams, 1 sponsor exemption, and each slam has one qualifing event where teams ranked 16-45 play for the remaining 8 slam spots. This way your top teams are there for sponsors and tv and all that but your lower ranked teams can play there way into a slam and once there earn enough points to push the top crts guys for top 15 spots.
To end up top 50 on the crts is achivable by playing regular wct events so for a team like mine starting out you play a couple yrs and slowly climb the crts until your at the point to get invited to the qualifing events.
As of now 100 crts points gets you ranked 20th. With those teams playing all the slams they will never be caught. 35 crts points gets you ranked 50th which is a couple yrs of wct events and some decent results. Very achivable.

Anyway thats my thoughts.

02-12-15 09:51AM
hit_paint
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Justintwiss
so chatting last night with some friends at the rink and got onto this topic. Again I'm all for growing the game and making teams better ect... but with 8 slams that will be a teams whole year. McEwen or teams like that will play those 8 slams and thats it.
The teams that are in the slams now have 8 events where they can make so many crts points that no other team will have an opportunity to catch them. How is that making the game better? Your pretty much saying top 20 teams are going to play 8 events(slams) and it will be the same 20 teams every time because no other team can get as many points from a normal wct event to get invited.
So your top 20 have no pressure to play better because nobody can take their spot on points. Is this supposed to be growing the game? Seems to be the opposite right. Growing the game to me means having it so the gap between your top teams and mid pack teams tightens. The only way that happens is if the mid pack teams get to play big events against the top teams.

If the top teams play 8 slams thats the whole season for most of them. So to me thats a giant middle finger to all the other wct events and all the mid teams trying to become a team like mcewen. With 4 slams winning 1 means something. With 8 it has just become another bonspiel. There is a reason Jack only won 18 majors in golf.
Now I know not to many people care for my opinion but here it is anyway, Have 4 slams,(majors), the other 4 have as qualifying events for the slams. Each slam gets 1 qualifing event. Have your top 15 crts get invites to the slams, 1 sponsor exemption, and each slam has one qualifing event where teams ranked 16-45 play for the remaining 8 slam spots. This way your top teams are there for sponsors and tv and all that but your lower ranked teams can play there way into a slam and once there earn enough points to push the top crts guys for top 15 spots.
To end up top 50 on the crts is achivable by playing regular wct events so for a team like mine starting out you play a couple yrs and slowly climb the crts until your at the point to get invited to the qualifing events.
As of now 100 crts points gets you ranked 20th. With those teams playing all the slams they will never be caught. 35 crts points gets you ranked 50th which is a couple yrs of wct events and some decent results. Very achivable.

What CTRS list are you looking at? Right now the team ranked 50th has a little over 10 points. Some of your points are valid, but I'm sure the top teams will play other events and I'm sure there will be a new ranking system or something put in place to ensure the top 15 teams don't separate themselves too much.

02-12-15 10:00AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

Nolan suggested having a tennis format of 4 grand slams and the other events being like the 1000 and 500 series which is the best set up to go with. But to be fair one of the events being added is the championship which the wct and grand slams has been missing.

I don't think the top teams will just play these 8 events as there are still other events on the wct that attracts the top teams. Look at Laycock, Bottcher, Casey and Carruthers this year and how well they have done playing other wct events. How many slams have these guys won, none but they are all top 15 in the money list. There are other up and coming teams out there. I still say have a junior tour or junior tournament like they do at the grand slams in tennis.

02-12-15 10:30AM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

quote:

What CTRS list are you looking at? Right now the team ranked 50th has a little over 10 points. Some of your points are valid, but I'm sure the top teams will play other events and I'm sure there will be a new ranking system or something put in place to ensure the top 15 teams don't separate themselves too much.

My mistake. I was talking about the points on the order of merit list on the wct page.

02-12-15 02:45PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

A lot of points to touch on, so I'll start where I agree, which is that eight "slams" is too many. It cheapens a slam victory if there are so many. My suggestion would be you have four slams, and just four other tour events. I think people will still watch as long as most of the best teams are there. I don't think people will watch a slam qualifying event, on the other hand (although I agree that a slam qualifying event is a good idea).

Will the slam teams play other events? Look at where the new slams are on the schedule. One at the beginning of September, one at the beginning of January and one at the end of April (which is a bit late in the season for my liking). One is before most have started their season, one is after and the other one is in January, which doesn't conflict with much of the tour either. The slam teams may play one less ordinary tour event than they played before. Not a big deal.

Yes, there are big points at slams, but not for just showing up. To get significant points you have to get to the quarters. So, if you want to say the top 8 to 10 teams will be at every slam, sure, but they will be the best 8 to 10 teams. Why shouldn't the best 8 to 10 teams be there?

As for different teams, let's look at this year's OOM points as they will factor in next year's slams. Some teams in the top 20: Carruthers, Bottcher, Casey, Bowser, Brewster. It's not impossible to crack into. Plus, not every team in the top 20 will want to play every slam. Look at some of the teams at the National this year: Blandford, Kean, McCormick, Rumfeldt, Shuster. This stuff about a lack of turnover is way overblown in my opinion. If anything, having this many slams grows the game more, because it allows more opportunities for the second tier teams to play in one. And, the top 20 certainly do have pressure to hold their spots, as they have to actually win games at the slams to get points, so yes, they have incentive to get better too.

02-12-15 03:21PM
hit_paint
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

A lot of points to touch on, so I'll start where I agree, which is that eight "slams" is too many. It cheapens a slam victory if there are so many. My suggestion would be you have four slams, and just four other tour events. I think people will still watch as long as most of the best teams are there. I don't think people will watch a slam qualifying event, on the other hand (although I agree that a slam qualifying event is a good idea).

Will the slam teams play other events? Look at where the new slams are on the schedule. One at the beginning of September, one at the beginning of January and one at the end of April (which is a bit late in the season for my liking). One is before most have started their season, one is after and the other one is in January, which doesn't conflict with much of the tour either. The slam teams may play one less ordinary tour event than they played before. Not a big deal.

Yes, there are big points at slams, but not for just showing up. To get significant points you have to get to the quarters. So, if you want to say the top 8 to 10 teams will be at every slam, sure, but they will be the best 8 to 10 teams. Why shouldn't the best 8 to 10 teams be there?

As for different teams, let's look at this year's OOM points as they will factor in next year's slams. Some teams in the top 20: Carruthers, Bottcher, Casey, Bowser, Brewster. It's not impossible to crack into. Plus, not every team in the top 20 will want to play every slam. Look at some of the teams at the National this year: Blandford, Kean, McCormick, Rumfeldt, Shuster. This stuff about a lack of turnover is way overblown in my opinion. If anything, having this many slams grows the game more, because it allows more opportunities for the second tier teams to play in one. And, the top 20 certainly do have pressure to hold their spots, as they have to actually win games at the slams to get points, so yes, they have incentive to get better too.

Some of those teams played in the National because the European Championship was going on at the same time so teams like, Edin, Ulsrud, Murdoch, Michel and De Cruz gave up their spot. A few years ago maybe, but teams don't typically skip out on slam events now.

02-12-15 04:18PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

Some of those teams played in the National because the European Championship was going on at the same time so teams like, Edin, Ulsrud, Murdoch, Michel and De Cruz gave up their spot. A few years ago maybe, but teams don't typically skip out on slam events now.

De Cruz was at the National. But, do you really think all the European teams are going to make it for all 8 slams? This year there were teams like Menard and Cotter that passed on slams. It's a lot of time to commit to. They're not all going to do it.

02-12-15 05:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the only way that this will actually be good is if we see some lower ranked teams that would never normally get a chance to play a slam actually play in them.

but if its the same top 35 teams that play in all 8 then what the hell was the point

and i agree. the european teams are coming in smaller number for slams now so its doubtful they will come over to canada 8 times when chances of cashing in are low for most. slam entry fees and costs are expensive. they dont mind coming in 2 or 3 times for them now but coming in for even 5 or 6 seems like a stretch.

i think you might find that some of these slams are going to end up having a hard time filling the entry lists

i support growing the game but im not sure how effective this is really going to be in the long run.

If we get some more top level teams out of this then obviously its a success

Last edited by misty1 on 02-12-15 at 05:12PM

02-12-15 05:19PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

If less Euros come so be it, let the slots be filled by Canadian teams.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-12-15 05:34PM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

I wouldn't be surprised if the CCA adds events or moves events to conflict with these slams. 1) to combat the points issue and 2) for tv ratings

1) The slams have a lot of OOM points associated with them and as many people on here will argue, the same 18 teams are in these events over and over and accumulate +++ points compared to the teams ranked 19 and lower who are playing in "lesser" spiels in cold curling clubs. You want curling to be less "elite", but you all are jumping for joy that the GSOC is going to be bigger than ever next year.... can't have it both ways folks.

2) The TSN v Sportsnet battle is heating up and I'm not naive enough to think that the GSOC and Sportsnet are doing this for the greater good of the sport - there's some ulterior motive here, so I hope the CCA fires back and creates some conflict with regards to dates.

02-12-15 05:56PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Speak in plain English please.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-12-15 06:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man
If less Euros come so be it, let the slots be filled by Canadian teams.

the grand slams are built to build the sport not just in canada but globally. if they were geared only to canadians than europeans wouldnt be invited

europeans continuing to compete is important. same thinhs with asians and americans so perhaps i should have said international teams.

unless you one of those people who wants it to go back to the day when canada could walk to gold at worlds

02-12-15 06:17PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

the grand slams are built to build the sport not just in canada but globally. if they were geared only to canadians than europeans wouldnt be invited

europeans continuing to compete is important. same thinhs with asians and americans so perhaps i should have said international teams.

unless you one of those people who wants it to go back to the day when canada could walk to gold at worlds

I agree with you, but if the internationals don't come then it's good for Canadian teams who can get some reps.

02-12-15 10:29PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man
Speak in plain English please.

What don't you get? Google a good translation site.

02-13-15 02:05AM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curler2014
I wouldn't be surprised if the CCA adds events or moves events to conflict with these slams. 1) to combat the points issue and 2) for tv ratings

1) The slams have a lot of OOM points associated with them and as many people on here will argue, the same 18 teams are in these events over and over and accumulate +++ points compared to the teams ranked 19 and lower who are playing in "lesser" spiels in cold curling clubs. You want curling to be less "elite", but you all are jumping for joy that the GSOC is going to be bigger than ever next year.... can't have it both ways folks.

2) The TSN v Sportsnet battle is heating up and I'm not naive enough to think that the GSOC and Sportsnet are doing this for the greater good of the sport - there's some ulterior motive here, so I hope the CCA fires back and creates some conflict with regards to dates.

I already showed how it's not the same 18 teams in these events over and over, but why let facts get in the way of hysteria?

Why exactly does the CCA care about the points? And they'll get better TV ratings if they don't conflict with other curling events. There are a lot of curling fans in Canada, but it does no good for ratings to split all the fans up.

And, why would Sportsnet want anything but the good of the sport? They own this property. They want to make money. If the sport does well, they make more money. What's so hard to understand about this?