Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-11-14 12:01PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

High Performance Program

A rough outline of the next High Performance Program (HPP) has surfaced. It looks to make 8 men and 8 women semi-professional curlers.

I don't like it. I think it is shortsighted. I think it will destroy our image and our image is everything.

Rick Reilly is the best sportswriter in the nation and he has been ever since Mitch Albom turned to more serious topics. Read what Reilly has to say about curling and why it is his favorite sport in the winter Olympics. Popularity is key and image is everything.

I fear that the trend with our HPP is killing the goose that is laying the golden eggs. I fear that in 8 years we will have maneuvered ourselves from the peak of popularity down to being tied with biathlon.

Have at it. Just looking to organize some thoughtful discussion.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-11-14 01:39PM
coltond is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coltond Click here to Send coltond a Private Message Find more posts by coltond Add coltond to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coltond
Harvey Hacksmasher

The US program is going to continue to go for a downward spiral if it doesn't begin to support it's athletes. Further funding these athletes will give them access to ; better coaching, more competitive spiels, better practice equipment and will make it more worth while to take all of those long hours off work. If you look at most of the successful European countries, they heavily fund their top performing teams and so far it's been successful. So why not give this program a go?

04-11-14 02:29PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

There are 2 very good reasons for not "giving it a go":

1. It's being recommended by you Canadians and reading your condescending posts in our threads is growing wearisome. OK, just slightly kidding there. Any discussion is good.

2. The countries that heavily fund 1 or 2 teams doom their fate to the continued health and dedication of a precious few athletes. That ignores the future. Look beneath the funded teams and you'll see a decisive lack of depth.

3. Most importantly, there is no growth in curling at the nations that have gone to making professional curlers out of a just a few. We are opening new facilities from Phoenix to Manhattan. They are closing what few facilities they do have.

With the probably exception of the Swiss, most European programs suck. You can tell they suck because nobody in their countries care about curling. Even Scotland, The Motherland, has managed to kill all interest in our sport.

Ben Tucker

04-12-14 10:18AM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

Interesting story about USOC / USCA relationships. Here's a link http://www.startribune.com/sports/254987261.html

04-12-14 10:24AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Plan revised?

Where can we find this revised plan? First draft called for 5 person teams for the men and women, so 20 people total.

04-12-14 12:06PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

You've even drawn the attention of Bob Weeks-and he's in Augusta covering the Masters!

04-12-14 01:54PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
There are 2 very good reasons for not "giving it a go":

2. The countries that heavily fund 1 or 2 teams doom their fate to the continued health and dedication of a precious few athletes. That ignores the future. Look beneath the funded teams and you'll see a decisive lack of depth.

3. Most importantly, there is no growth in curling at the nations that have gone to making professional curlers out of a just a few. We are opening new facilities from Phoenix to Manhattan. They are closing what few facilities they do have.

With the probably exception of the Swiss, most European programs suck. You can tell they suck because nobody in their countries care about curling. Even Scotland, The Motherland, has managed to kill all interest in our sport.

Ben Tucker

Ben, I respectfully disagree. Here's why

2. Depth will be there when the 'pipeline' to the olympic team gets filled. There will be some sort of Junior Olympic Development program and resident athletes at the training center who will be filling it. If the olympics were held tomorrow, we'd still have 10 'program' curlers to fill 4 or 5 spots, far more than Team XXX had going into any of the last olympics. It won't be someone's dad or sister or friend from the losing team who gets to be 5th.

3a. European programs are not a good comparison (pro or con) because most do not have a curling system underpinning them like countries with more curlers or more popularity do, yet. If you want an example of why this doesn't matter, look at Korea in archery. 20 years ago they were nothing, had no archers, didn't care about archery. Today they are the powerhouse in the world. The US has a Korean coach who was their top guy during the building years, and now US Archery is starting to medal.

3b. The fact that European programs suck because nobody likes curling in their countries is the exact reason why the US program will be successful. We will have that large pool of curlers to draw from and that popularity will continue to grow the sport. Look at Korea, they now have 10's of thousands of archers and a program that washes out those who won't be olympic level and focuses all of their efforts behind those that may, and they are the favorites in EVERY match. Watch the Korean curling program (that sucks??) work over the next 2 cycles... my money is on them becoming the dominant team in our sport.

US needs to give it a go but not without continuing to do what we already do right in building and supporting the grass roots curling world.

Yes I know Korea isn't in Europe, but they are a country who has traveled this road and been rewarded for 'giving it a go'.

Last edited by Flat Hat on 04-12-14 at 02:31PM

04-12-14 05:28PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
there is no growth in curling at the nations that have gone to making professional curlers out of a just a few...They are closing what few facilities they do have.

Does our dear potato-farming friend have data to support such a broad statement? Can he show a clear, convincing cause-effect between "going pro" and a drop in grass-roots curling?

Show me the money, Tuck! (It can be jhcurl's money if you're cash poor right now.)

mf

Last edited by Frykenstein on 04-12-14 at 10:44PM

04-13-14 09:35AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Basic new HP timeline, not set in stone. These are the target dates and certainly can move.

- USOC gets plan end of April
- Response from USOC end of May, this is basically the budget and resources to be provided by USOC
- Select athletes end of June

Again, this is all flexible and dates may change.

JH

04-13-14 11:04AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Frykenstein, if only I knew a competent librarian to help me out. I'm not going to spend a day researching, just look to Scotland and the historic clubs that have closed in the last couple of years despite their recent World and Olympic medals. For you fans of Game Of Thrones, you can count the expansion of dedicated curling ice in Norway and Sweden on Jamie Lanester's right hand.

There hasn't been a change to the HPP outline. They've always planned on 5 players and 2 teams and 2 genders for a total of 20 supported athletes. It was me and me alone that moved the number of Chosen to 16 from 20. I'm not sure of the roles that the fifths will fill.

More later.

Ben Tucker

04-13-14 11:22AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Flat Hat, I'm not sure that your Korean archery analogy is going to hold up. We do seem to agree, however, that the future of the sport will be dominated by the nations with the most dedicated ice.

Perhaps Korean archery medals has increased popularity in that sport in that nation. Curling medals, however, have not increased popularity in the nations with recent success. Why?

"Image" may not be reality, but image has the true importance. Our image as a sport is excellent. My fears remain.

Will the new HPP harm our image? I am pretty sure that it will. Will that harm stop growth a decade from now? I'm not sure, but I'm afraid so. Will Olympic medals counteract the harm? Maybe, but that's not what we are seeing globally. If we harm our image and then fail to medal, what does the future look like?

Ben Tucker

04-13-14 12:34PM
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ben,
I liken Archery with Curling because they are both sports where anyone can make the olympic team through hard work and some luck. Whether growth of curling will be helped by medals or the chance to medal remains to be seen... it seems to take decade(s) to really see the effect.

What I think is clear now, is that it is possible to become a powerhouse in a sport if you have a good program and stick to it long enough.

04-13-14 05:28PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Frykenstein, if only I knew a competent librarian to help me out. I'm not going to spend a day researching, just look to Scotland and the historic clubs that have closed in the last couple of years despite their recent World and Olympic medals.

Scotland's loss of clubs since their elite athletes turned pro is only relevant if one can show that A caused B. Do we know that to be true? Did British Curling take all the resources that used to go to the grass roots? Did they rob Peter to pay Paul? If we don't know that, what's your pessimism about the HPP about?

And what happened to your sentiment from 6 weeks ago that curling in the US is, despite the USCA and despite our crap showing in Sochi, in great shape (new clubs being built, lots of interest at the Oly open houses)?

I like optimist Tuck. Where'd he go?

mf
I don't know where to find a good librarian either. Shame.

Last edited by Frykenstein on 04-13-14 at 11:16PM

04-14-14 12:31AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

From my point of view, this is something unfortunate, but it's also something that needs to be done.

There's no evidence that shows that funding competitive players directly causes a decline in grassroots membership. While you are correct that a number of old clubs have closed down in places like Scotland, that's also true for a number of old clubs in Canada. The primary problem Curling has in traditional countries is marketing, not what teams are being funded.

For example, if there's a guy in Phoenix Arizona watching Curling on TV for the first time who decides to try it out, he's not going to the club with the dreams of one day winning nationals or the Olympics.... he's looking at it as a sport he's interested in trying out.

A guy like that wouldn't even be aware of the grassroots tradition of the game, the old playdown structures, etc. He just wants to try out a new sport. He doesn't care if the team on TV is funded or not.

However, if Curling is not on TV, guys like the person in the example above are never going to be exposed to the sport. If curling loses it's TV coverage, the explosive growth the sport has seen in various US markets will start to wither and die.

Given the performance of both the US Men's and Women's teams at the previous few Olympics and World Championships, there is a real danger of the United States not qualifying for future Olympic Games, that would be catastrophic for the sport. It's also ludicrous to think that the current system which has produced those consistently poor results is going to fix the problem.

In short, the US has to ensure it's developing teams that can compete at the international level. Supporting the teams with the best chance of doing so financially is a no brainer in that goal.

Eventually I'd like to see a return to the traditional system, and I think eventually once the national talent pool gets deeper and deeper over the next 10-15 years that will be a possibility. If the US has 3-4 teams at Nationals that would be able to realistically compete for a medal on the international stage, then switch to a more "Canadian style" system.

But until Curling develops to that point, things need to be done differently.

04-14-14 08:01AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Here's the problem with your thought, duct_tape...

The guy in Phoenix who comes across curling during the Olympics (the only time he has a prayer of coming across it) doesn't care if it's Team USA or Team Namibia...he sees a competitive strategy based game that appears accessible (ie "Sh*t, that don't look that hard").

He then hears about the curling club in Phoenix and decides to try it out.

Mission...Accomplished.

Curling's TV Coverage isn't going to decline if the US misses the Olympics one year...in this day and age, every single Winter Olympics Sport is on TV, Covered start to stop. Seriously, this past winter Olympics, I was able to watch 53 hours of *BIATHLON* live....Total Number of US medals....0. Total number expected going in....0. Difference it made to me....0.

If we were a summer sport, then we'd have issue, there's too much in the summer games to get it all on TV (it is all on streaming internet though). The Winter Games aren't that big.

We are the Medium Fish in the Small pond. Figure skating gets bigger ratings (although the Nielson's say that it's ratings went down this year, as opposed to curling's, which, once again, went up). Skiing gets better ratings for the Downhill only. Hockey gets ratings for Team USA games, but that's it.

We're fixing something that ain't broke.

04-14-14 12:46PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

duct_tape is correct. TV spurring the growth and at some point the game may lose that coverage if there is no US participation.
Without TV, we don't have that spurt every 4 yrs.Ourclub, we had October open houses totalling about 50 people. End of Feb, we had 900.
As a result of the last Olympics, membership growth resulted in approximately 90 teams competing in GNCC 5yr and under events this year. Connect the dots:

TV->Open House->Learn to Curl-> league play->5yr and under competition->local bonspiels->playdowns.....

The pool is growing, we just need to hope that the US can stay relevant enough to continue to get the little TV coverage we get.

04-14-14 07:02PM
seattlecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for seattlecurler Click here to Send seattlecurler a Private Message Find more posts by seattlecurler Add seattlecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seattlecurler
Knee-Slider

It seems to me that the question of whether or not the WCF efforts to expand curling worldwide is pretty simple for the WCF to answer - how many more curlers are there now as opposed to then? (pick your then, now is now).

People can say that China is a successful curling nation, but the only evidence of that is their medals (http://www.worldcurling.org/rankings-men-and-women). Based on the attendance at their recent world championships, I'd be hard pressed to call their program a success. Yes, they have created some good curlers, mainly by funding good curlers, but they don't have a curling community.

I didn't see many of the Men's games, but the few I did see had very sparse attendance (I think we had move people at the club for the US Jr Nationals!).

Maybe that's the heart of this conversation about bylaws and High Performance, some of us want community and others want medals (and the money to fund medals). I'd like to measure success by the growth of the community, not the colour of the medals, knowing that if you grow the community, the medals will come.

04-14-14 07:31PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Here's the problem with your thought, duct_tape...

The guy in Phoenix who comes across curling during the Olympics (the only time he has a prayer of coming across it) doesn't care if it's Team USA or Team Namibia...he sees a competitive strategy based game that appears accessible (ie "Sh*t, that don't look that hard").

He then hears about the curling club in Phoenix and decides to try it out.

Mission...Accomplished.

Curling's TV Coverage isn't going to decline if the US misses the Olympics one year...in this day and age, every single Winter Olympics Sport is on TV, Covered start to stop. Seriously, this past winter Olympics, I was able to watch 53 hours of *BIATHLON* live....Total Number of US medals....0. Total number expected going in....0. Difference it made to me....0.

If we were a summer sport, then we'd have issue, there's too much in the summer games to get it all on TV (it is all on streaming internet though). The Winter Games aren't that big.

We are the Medium Fish in the Small pond. Figure skating gets bigger ratings (although the Nielson's say that it's ratings went down this year, as opposed to curling's, which, once again, went up). Skiing gets better ratings for the Downhill only. Hockey gets ratings for Team USA games, but that's it.

We're fixing something that ain't broke.

If you think the current US model isn't broken at the competitive level, you're fooling yourself. The fact there is 0 expectation of winning medals going in despite one of the deepest talent pools in the world is unacceptable.

Likewise, if you think non-participation at the Olympic or World Level by US teams isn't going to affect ratings, you're also fooling yourself. If you ever want ESPN to cover the worlds on one of their channels the same way TSN does in Canada, you're going to need US teams present, and competitive in both the Men's and Women's events.

And as other posters have pointed out, continued and expanded TV coverage is critical to maintaining and growing the sport in the USA.

Basically, the US needs to start generating teams who have a shot at winning, and fast. That is critical to the future of the grassroots side of the sport through increased exposure. Funding a few teams is only going to help in that area.

04-14-14 07:41PM
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by seattlecurler
It seems to me that the question of whether or not the WCF efforts to expand curling worldwide is pretty simple for the WCF to answer - how many more curlers are there now as opposed to then? (pick your then, now is now).

People can say that China is a successful curling nation, but the only evidence of that is their medals (http://www.worldcurling.org/rankings-men-and-women). Based on the attendance at their recent world championships, I'd be hard pressed to call their program a success. Yes, they have created some good curlers, mainly by funding good curlers, but they don't have a curling community.

I didn't see many of the Men's games, but the few I did see had very sparse attendance (I think we had move people at the club for the US Jr Nationals!).

Maybe that's the heart of this conversation about bylaws and High Performance, some of us want community and others want medals (and the money to fund medals). I'd like to measure success by the growth of the community, not the colour of the medals, knowing that if you grow the community, the medals will come.

In the same sense, the attendance at both the Brier and Scotties this year was abysmal, but nobody would argue that Canada has a successful program for the most part. You can't really gauge the health of a curling program by how many people show up to watch events.

I agree that growing the community over the long term will lead to a deeper talent pool, and will produce more talented curlers.... but that's 10-15 years away once the growing happens, and those new players learn now to play. In the short term, steps need to be taken to ensure what currently exists is given the best chance at winning a medal or two.

04-14-14 08:40PM
mgulseth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mgulseth Click here to Send mgulseth a Private Message Find more posts by mgulseth Add mgulseth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mgulseth
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape

If you ever want ESPN to cover the worlds on one of their channels the same way TSN does in Canada, you're going to need US teams present, and competitive in both the Men's and Women's events.

Basically, the US needs to start generating teams who have a shot at winning, and fast. That is critical to the future of the grassroots side of the sport through increased exposure. Funding a few teams is only going to help in that area.

We have had a team at Worlds for as long as ESPN has been around...some were very competitive and some not as much. We could win 10 gold medals in the next 10 years, and guess what? ESPN could care less. We won't be on ESPN anytime soon- not even highlights, so I certainly wouldn't be aiming for that as a goal.

As far as your last point, how can you explain the explosion of new curlers and new clubs in the US, when we haven't performed well at the Worlds and Olympics in the past few years? You say it is so critical that we win win win, otherwise our game is done? Are you saying all of these new people are coming out because of our results in the 2006 Olympics?

04-14-14 08:46PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

I have found the answer to our problem. This essay points out why Canada and the United States should become one country. Who needs a HPP?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ast_122206.html

I believe Mr. Murphy would drop over dead if this ever happened. Reading this article may be enough.

Last edited by biterbar on 04-14-14 at 08:50PM

04-14-14 08:58PM
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by mgulseth

We have had a team at Worlds for as long as ESPN has been around...some were very competitive and some not as much. We could win 10 gold medals in the next 10 years, and guess what? ESPN could care less. We won't be on ESPN anytime soon- not even highlights, so I certainly wouldn't be aiming for that as a goal.

As far as your last point, how can you explain the explosion of new curlers and new clubs in the US, when we haven't performed well at the Worlds and Olympics in the past few years? You say it is so critical that we win win win, otherwise our game is done? Are you saying all of these new people are coming out because of our results in the 2006 Olympics?

As the popularity of the sport grows, so will the willingness of networks like ESPN to broadcast more events. Even if it's on something like ESPN 5, it's still additional coverage.

10 years ago barely anyone outside of the border states knew anything about curling. Now, there's new clubs being built even in the south. Times have changed, there was no market to broadcast curling 10 years ago, even when the US was competitive on the world stage... However that national market is developing now, and will develop more in the future. The ratings over the last few Olympics have been huge, that's something that networks are not going to ignore forever, especially if they continue to grow.

As for your last paragraph, 2006 has nothing to do with it.... it has to do with the US's standings in world curling. Even for this past Olympics, the Men's team were one game away from not even qualifying for Sochi. The women's program is a little healthier, but they aren't in great shape either compared to other countries.

The reason why the US must start winning is because if they don't, there is a serious risk that they might not even qualify to compete at the international level. As I said above, the US was one loss away from not sending a representative to Sochi on the men's side. You can't cut it any closer than that, it's absolutely critical that they start performing better, and fast, or there might not even be a US Olympic curling team in 2016.

That would be catastrophic for the clubs that depend on a membership and interest boost every 4 years. Failure at the competitive level would crush a lot of the grassroots progress the US is currently making. That can't be allowed to happen.

04-16-14 12:17PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
I have found the answer to our problem. This essay points out why Canada and the United States should become one country. Who needs a HPP?

I believe Mr. Murphy would drop over dead if this ever happened. Reading this article may be enough.

But at least the US could get truly universal health care...

04-16-14 01:07PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:

As the popularity of the sport grows, so will the willingness of networks like ESPN to broadcast more events. Even if it's on something like ESPN 5, it's still additional coverage.

ESPN has shown precisely 0 hours of curling in the past 10 years...that isn't going to change...hell, they got rid of Hockey. They don't do winter sports other than sports they own (ie X-Games and College Basketball).

Our better bet would be the NBC Sports Network or the Fox Sports Network...hell, even regional coverage on Fox Sports New England/Michigan/Whatever the one covering Wisconsin/North Dakoka is would be more likely.

04-17-14 09:23AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Wait, can we still send more than one team to World's like a north and south team? I could go with it then...