Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-30-14 08:23AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
wow. A loss to japan for kevin that I don't think anyone saw coming and now looking very shaky against china

To China's credit, for the most part, they look very solid against Scotland. A couple of bad calls from China made it a game which they were dominant.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

03-30-14 08:48AM
Unregistered

Pretty terrible ice for a worlds. Might as well be playing on a rutted back lane in Winnipeg.

Im on an ipad and the chat doesnt work for me. Finally got it toggled off but Diane said 8 hours ago that Koe team seems deflated after the news broke ... What was the news ? Thx

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

03-30-14 09:02AM
Unregistered

Koe shud be blasting with pats

03-30-14 09:13AM
Unregistered

quote:
Pretty terrible ice for a worlds. Might as well be playing on a rutted back lane in Winnipeg.

Im on an ipad and the chat doesnt work for me. Finally got it toggled off but Diane said 8 hours ago that Koe team seems deflated after the news broke ... What was the news ? Thx

yeah, the ice is pretty disgraceful for such an event. But apparently they gave hans contaminated water, he had to go out and get bottled water and pour it over the ice.

they expect to have it worked out as the week goes on

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-31-14 08:19AM
Unregistered

unless some teams get on a roll here im thinking 5 losses is going to be okay

Norway looks by far the best at the moment..might this be the year ulsrud finally gets his world gold?

03-31-14 08:33AM
Unregistered

Canada in real danger of getting drawn into this 3-2 group

Norway might be 2 games clear of everyone after today if they beat china and Switzerland and Czech republic hold on

03-31-14 09:17AM
Unregistered

Huge win for Switzerland over japan. Not only because it brings japan back but because it shows great mental strength on the part of the young swiss to bounce back so well from what could have been a devastating loss to Scotland.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-31-14 09:33AM
Unregistered

Benice if Ulsrud won this event ...
His team has added a lot to the game

03-31-14 09:37AM
Unregistered

Just a complete disaster of a 9th end by the Czech republic

03-31-14 09:39AM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

A pick ruins the Czech's game in the 9th end and they give up a steal of four

This ice is not doing ANYONE any favours

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-31-14 09:40AM
Unregistered

feel bad for the Czechs. They really had Canada in this game but a poor miss by Jiri in the 8th and a horrible end all around by the Czechs in 9 and Canada will escape with a win

03-31-14 09:41AM
Unregistered

Koe team plays a great 9 th end. And then we see snitzel. Have the worst pick ever in the history of curling. .. Dead stop while the front end was sweeping ... Would have gone another 4 feet

03-31-14 09:42AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler
A pick ruins the Czech's game in the 9th end and they give up a steal of four

This ice is not doing ANYONE any favours

The ice is disgusting. Hans will do the best he can but its ridiculous that the Chinese gave him water to use that had oil in the containers. How stupid do you have to be to think water like that will be okay to use for this event

03-31-14 09:47AM
Unregistered

they keep saying the ice will get better but were 3 days in now and its not

03-31-14 09:52AM
Unregistered

Scotland should be alarmed. The country has a shocking lack of depth for one that has such a proud history

the woman's team they sent was really bad and the mens team isn't any better. They are 1-4 and should be 0-5 . They would be if not for a pick that came against Switzerland in 10.

03-31-14 10:52AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Scotland should be alarmed. The country has a shocking lack of depth for one that has such a proud history

the woman's team they sent was really bad and the mens team isn't any better. They are 1-4 and should be 0-5 . They would be if not for a pick that came against Switzerland in 10.

My thoughts exactly! But come to think of it, I'm a little concerned about Norway. They haven't had a good woman's team since Dordi and other than "The Pants", who else is there on the men's side?

03-31-14 11:03AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie

My thoughts exactly! But come to think of it, I'm a little concerned about Norway. They haven't had a good woman's team since Dordi and other than "The Pants", who else is there on the men's side?

Norway is definitely worse off than Scotland. They and Germany are really in trouble.

I think Hoiberg and Mjoen(spelling?) are both good young teams so the men have a couple prospects. Do I think they will be as good as Ulsrud? no but I still think they are good enough where Norway doesn't have to worry about falling off the map either. Im pretty sure Hoiberg will be the team Norway counts on once Ulsrud retires.He is the one Norway always sends with Ulsrud as altnertae now. We might see Hoiberg and Mjoen join together either by choice or by doing of the association.

The ladies..yeah they are in trouble. Linn Githmark was supposed to take over for Dordi Nordby but she's gone now. I think they hoped that Trulsen or Davanger would step up but they aren't anything special either. Atleast not as juniors..although junior success doesn't always indicate greatness.

03-31-14 11:04AM
Unregistered

quote:

It is interesting that some of the countries sent their olympic reps to the worlds and other didn't. Such as Scotland. In another thread there was some discussion about countries who put all of their resources into one team and this Scottish season is an example of how the 2nd string team just is not up to snuff. They might want to rethink all energy into one team and put it into at least 2 teams if they are going to restrict the olympic team and not allow them into the worlds.

Of course by sending a weaker team, Canada does have an advantage??

Except for the ice.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 75.158.128.20

03-31-14 11:09AM
Unregistered

quote:

It is interesting that some of the countries sent their olympic reps to the worlds and other didn't. Such as Scotland. In another thread there was some discussion about countries who put all of their resources into one team and this Scottish season is an example of how the 2nd string team just is not up to snuff. They might want to rethink all energy into one team and put it into at least 2 teams if they are going to restrict the olympic team and not allow them into the worlds.

Of course by sending a weaker team, Canada does have an advantage??

Except for the ice.

some of the countries, although they didn't send Olympic reps still sent some damn good teams.

While Eriksson isn't as good as Edin he's close. DeCruz is probably just as strong as Micheland Fenson is stronger than Shuster

Its not like the womens field which was weekened. The mens field is weakened but not to the same degree that the womens field was.

03-31-14 11:10AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
if you look at the hits on curlingzone compared to 4 years ago , it appears that curling is a dying sport .. and fast ..

a bunch of seniors watching and a few juniors vying with 20 long time curling greats trying to get an olympic medal

sochi and bejing time zones dont help .. but the briar attendance was lousy and its our zone ... 12 teams in grand prairie -- scary

I confess I wonder just how long curling can go on...at least athe the highest level.

03-31-14 11:13AM
deep_freeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deep_freeze Click here to Send deep_freeze a Private Message Find more posts by deep_freeze Add deep_freeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deep_freeze
Hitting Paint

Scotland does spread its resources, there are 4 funded teams on the men's side but none of them won the Scottish Championships. Murdoch did not compete, Logan Gray came 3rd with Kyle Smith and Grant Hardie tied 5th.

It is the same story on the women's side with only two of the seven women's teams not receiving funding and it was one of the unfunded teams that ended up winning.

Ewan MacDonald's team are a lot better than they are showing this week.

03-31-14 11:22AM
Unregistered

"If you look at the hits on curlingzone compared to 4 years ago , it appears that curling is a dying sport .. and fast ..a bunch of seniors watching and a few juniors vying with 20 long time curling greats trying to get an olympic medal."

I wish I didn't agree but i do. I've been involved in a sport that simply didn't bring enough young people in as fans (horse racing) and it's become totally marginalized from its glory days.

The thing that both curling and horse racing have in common is that they take time and a knowledge of the event. I wonder if today's generation is just too impatient to curl, or watch curling. There are no car chases, exploding bridges, video game graphics, etc. Immediacy, action and convenience are the bywords of the younger generation and curling doesn't score high in any of the categories.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.78.26.214

03-31-14 11:28AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
if you look at the hits on curlingzone compared to 4 years ago , it appears that curling is a dying sport .. and fast ..

a bunch of seniors watching and a few juniors vying with 20 long time curling greats trying to get an olympic medal

sochi and bejing time zones dont help .. but the briar attendance was lousy and its our zone ... 12 teams in grand prairie -- scary

Canada maybe, but the U.S. is seeing a huge growth in curlers and clubs. Arizona just opened a 4 sheet club this weekend and North Carolina is breaking ground this month. Milwaukee and Wausau just built state of the art 5 and 8 sheet facilities, respectively. The Four Season Club in Blaine just opened as well.

Almost every club has seen an increase in membership and learn to curl events are lined out the door.

We still have a huge gap to cross in world competitions, but our local clubs have probably never been stronger.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.188.104.94

03-31-14 02:14PM
Unregistered

Agreed Legend, but I guess I would rather have a robust growing club population in the U.S. versus winning medals while the membership shrinks(I differ from the USOC on that point).

It may take 20 years or more but eventually our growth in participation and improvement in facilities will help sway the competitive side as well to the point we can compete with the world for medals consistently again.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.188.104.94

03-31-14 09:38PM
Unregistered

Can curling be live streamed from somewhere, somehow?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.54.104.108