Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 15 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-25-17 03:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

2017 mens world championship

womens worlds are almost done and now we prepare for the mens worlds. seems to be there are 3 big favorites: scotland, sweden and canada

switzerland and the united states are the dark horses

japan could make the playoffs but i dont think they're a threat to actually win like the 5 teams above

norway has a new team representing them not named ulsrud for the first time in over a decade. they are a good young team that have had a great year on tour . will be interested to see how they do. they might be abl to make playoffs if some of the other teams slip up but i picture them as more of a 6-5 team

looking at this event and the implications for the olympics there's a lot on the line

right now the top 8 teams through would be:

canada
denmark
united states
japan
norway
sweden
scotland
south korea

switzerland might be contenders to win here but there is a ton of pressure on them. as of now switzerland men wouldnt qualify for the olympics for the first time ever. they have a tough opening schedule with canada and the united states in their first 2 games. you'd think they'd have to be able to go 1-1 in that . 4 losses will probably be the cut off and they wouldnt want to start 0-2.

they are helped by denmark not being there but need to finish at least 6th to get the points to surpass them. finland is ahead of them as well but they arent even a concern , as they arent qualified either. they will want to get in directly too because there will be some very good teams playing that last chance qualifier.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-25-17 07:12PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Unless Geoff is ready to sweep or Sallows will stop questioning every single call of Brad's, I have a feeling Canada will win only bronze...just a feeling. If I'm wrong drinks on me at the Player's.

03-26-17 11:05AM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Unless Geoff is ready to sweep or Sallows will stop questioning every single call of Brad's, I have a feeling Canada will win only bronze...just a feeling. If I'm wrong drinks on me at the Player's.

Dont expect Sallows to say much, should be an Edin Gushue final

03-26-17 11:36AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: 2017 mens world championship

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
womens worlds are almost done and now we prepare for the mens worlds. seems to be there are 3 big favorites: scotland, sweden and canada

I think anyone except Edin or Gushue coming home with the gold would qualify as a bit of a surprise...including Scotland.

03-27-17 07:33AM
yctomi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yctomi Click here to Send yctomi a Private Message Find more posts by yctomi Add yctomi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yctomi
Harvey Hacksmasher

If performing well, Edin and Gushue should have finals in their bags. It seems that lots of teams could have a decent shot for the bronze but I am rooting for Switzerland to bring it home. Team De Cruz have managed to medal at every major international event and I am predicting that they will continue the streak here.
Honestly I am concerning that whether Team Edin will be in shape during the week after a disappointing Elite 10 results. We saw what happened to Rachel Homan last year. It really is about which team can perform at their best during the week.

03-27-17 08:17AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I'm concerned about Team Gushue after what I saw at the Elite 10. Sallows never stopped talking! Hopefully Geoff might be better for the Worlds. I just have a feeling that Gushue will get bronze.

03-27-17 10:06AM
tyren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tyren Click here to Send tyren a Private Message Find more posts by tyren Add tyren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tyren
Harvey Hacksmasher

Walker injury

i curl at the same club as Team Gushue and Geoff is sweeping at 100% so i'm assuming he's back to normal and if he's not i'm sure he will be by saturday.

Brad's hip is also not 100% but he can survive 40 rocks a day (2 ten end games) injuries are not a viable concern anymore for this team.

If they curl the way they did in the latter half of the Brier they should have no problem getting to the final and hopefully making it a Canada men and women sweep for the first time since 2008.

03-27-17 03:39PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I'm concerned about Team Gushue after what I saw at the Elite 10. Sallows never stopped talking! Hopefully Geoff might be better for the Worlds. I just have a feeling that Gushue will get bronze.

My guess is you had a feeling that he was not going to win the Brier

03-28-17 08:53AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

PEI's own Bret Gallant is going to do a radio interview

here at local CBC station in Charlottetown, should be interesting what he will have to say regarding the upcoming worlds , surely he will get a Island hero's welcome and all curling fans will be behind him on Gushue's mission to bring home a gold medal

03-28-17 10:09PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Re: Re: 2017 mens world championship

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I think anyone except Edin or Gushue coming home with the gold would qualify as a bit of a surprise...including Scotland.

Those two are definitely the co-favorites, the last 2 playoff spots are completely up for grabs with Ulsrud not making it out of Norway. Murdoch and Shuster are solid picks based on experience but you never know what can happen in International Curling.

03-28-17 10:13PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:

I wouldn't put any merit/thought to the EliteX event. Gushue just got off the plane from St.John's and the event didn't really mean anything in the scheme of things except for Morris who won the title.

03-28-17 10:40PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Decruz does have the incredible stat of never missing the podium when representing Switzerland. 5 appearances and 5 medals,that's impressive.

03-29-17 12:30AM
gushuechamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gushuechamp Click here to Send gushuechamp a Private Message Find more posts by gushuechamp Add gushuechamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have no doubt whatsoever Gushue will win the world title with ease.

03-29-17 03:56AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

So here's how I see things, here are the top teams in ranking order: Canada, Sweden, Scotland, Norway would have been here is they sent Ulsrud, but for some reason they decided to send another team even though Ulsrud was at the Euro's, did Walstad win the Norway nationals, cause I wasn't sure if they had any, US, Switzerland (Michel used to be so good, but he's really fallen off), Norway.

So I think for sure Canada and Sweden will be playoff teams, after that it's tough to guess, I would not put Scotland in there for sure, Murdoch is not consistent enough IMO, the US could do well since Shuster has been here a lot, Swiss will be interesting as it's usually Michel, could be a playoff team, could not, Walstad could very well be a WC and surprise a lot or not do well, China and Japan certainly have the potential to do well and make playoffs as they have been here before, the Dutch are brand new, but surprisingly are not the worst ranked team here, though I do expect them to finish at or near the bottom, Germany are hard to say, as they had a different team at Euro's, are a WC, could be pretty good could not, Russia maybe a bit of a WC, but I expect them to finish near bottom, Italy even though are the worst ranked team here by far, have been here before, so could at least pull some big wins, if not be in playoff contention.

03-29-17 04:06AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Since when are S. Korea and Denmark at the worlds?

03-29-17 04:09AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by yctomi
If performing well, Edin and Gushue should have finals in their bags. It seems that lots of teams could have a decent shot for the bronze but I am rooting for Switzerland to bring it home. Team De Cruz have managed to medal at every major international event and I am predicting that they will continue the streak here.
Honestly I am concerning that whether Team Edin will be in shape during the week after a disappointing Elite 10 results. We saw what happened to Rachel Homan last year. It really is about which team can perform at their best during the week.

Homan didn't even make the Scotties last year, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

03-29-17 04:14AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Too bad last year's finalists were horrible at Euro's this year, Stjerne is so erratic, has one great year then is one of the worst teams going, if only he could find some stability and consistency.

03-29-17 07:58AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
Too bad last year's finalists were horrible at Euro's this year, Stjerne is so erratic, has one great year then is one of the worst teams going, if only he could find some stability and consistency.

I'll agree with you there. stjerne is so frustrating to watch.he can be one of the best teams in the world then turn around and be awful. but he was like that as a junior too. always very up and down

to answer your question about norway. they have a national championship. normally ulsrud is so far ahead of every other team the result doesnt matter. this year however, since walstad has had such a good year on tour it changed things. walstad beat ulsrud in the norwegian championship twice . once in the round robin then again in the final. they had a best of 3 final though. ulsrud won game 2 and then walstad won game 3 , winning the right to represent norway at worlds.

as for michel..never impressed with him. he had one good euros but he never did anything at worlds. he kind of stepped in to fill the void in switzerland when stockli retired and had a few good years. once decruz and other young teams like pfister matured though his time was over. switzerland will be in way better hands with the likes of decruz, pfister and, when they get a little more experience schwaller

murdoch has had a really good year on tour. doesnt mean a lot going into this event , i know, its different. but he has a lot of experience and a strong team with him . if they get hot for a week they can win it all

Last edited by misty1 on 03-29-17 at 08:00AM

03-29-17 07:59AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

nice thought but I think you are going out on a limb..

quote:
Originally posted by gushuechamp
I have no doubt whatsoever Gushue will win the world title with ease.
not to speculate here because there are other teams which can pick up the pace and match Gushue rink, sure we are favorites agree on that BUT anything can happen at these Men's Worlds I hear that few teams might be attending the Player's Championships later in Toronto for the Grand Slam event.

03-29-17 08:38AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Brad was on fire for the Brier...the whole team was totally focused, I had no doubt they would win. Teams practice to peak for certain events...i.e. Jones & Jacobs for the Olympics. Homan for the Worlds this year. While I would love to see Canada win the World Men's this year, I have a feeling it will be Edin. JMO.

03-29-17 09:22AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

TSN article re Gushue

Just read this over and its interesting. Enjoy. Its from TSN morning mail.

http://www.tsn.ca/gushue-hoping-to-...worlds-1.705262

03-29-17 01:09PM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

two of the least known teams in this year's Worlds

is Walstad of Norway and the team from the Netherlands I seem to think I cannot recall a curling team coming from Holland before? this will be a interesting field to watch, clear favorite is always Scotland, Sweden and ofcourse our own boys from the "rock" We always associate the Dutch with long track speed skating etc etc, BUT CURLING? This Norway team must of been good to oust favorite Ulsrud rink.....cannot wait until it begins

03-29-17 05:30PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Gushue hasn't played De Cruz since 15' apparently, so it should be an interesting 1st game.

03-29-17 05:38PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

If it's Gushue vs. Edin in the final, Gushue should win, they have a totally dominating record vs Edin, Edin's only ever beaten Gushue 1 time, Gushue has many wins over Edin.

03-29-17 05:42PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Gushue also totally dominates Murdoch, so they have a great chance at winning this.