Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 5 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-17 08:05PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

World Men's and Women's

Nina and Team USA start out Worlds 1 and 1. The win is a quality win against Sweden. The loss came in an extra end against Scottish Eve. Normally and extra end loss to Eve would be nothing to hang your head about; but Eve got us by stealing in the 10th and stealing in the extra. That ain't cool; but at least the team rebounded with a promising win.

Face Shuster and Team USA men went over to the motherland to prep for Worlds. I think they did the same spiel last year on their way to bronze; but that Worlds was in Europe. I'm not sure this is the best timezone-jumping path the medal stand this year; but maybe the team loves Scotland. They went a mediocre 3 and 3 in a field that isn't all that great; but that isn't important. Their minds are on Worlds...which is exactly where their minds should be.

Go USA!

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-19-17 09:33AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

I wish the highlights would show more of the buildup. Roth was lying SIX before the hammer in one end. Sweden managed to cut it to one. But the highlights did show a couple of good shots from Roth, and she held her nerve perfectly on an open takeout to win.

03-19-17 11:55PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

US Women blew it against Canada. Canada gave them several chances that the US did not capitalize on. Trying a tricky thin double for 2, when you're up 1 with hammer, instead of getting your guaranteed single. Then it ticks the guard and give up a steal of 2; not good strategy...

03-20-17 12:53AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Eh. I think a worlds team will always play that double, they just missed it. It wasn't THAT tricky.

The ninth was just a disaster, like the broadcast commentator said it wasn't even a "difficult three" and really he was talking about vices ricks onwards.

After this the playoffs are likely out of reach, would probably need to run the table to make it, but qualifying for the Olympics is still at stake and at potential risk here. Czech doing well is not in our favor. Need Korea to keep laying losses on folks.

03-20-17 07:35AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

I felt the same way.

The double for the deuce was there and wasn't even that hard. She just threw it bad and USA was "on the wrong side of the foot".

The 9th was a disaster. USA had two beautiful center guards and Canada was only biting top four behind them with their 2nd played wide to the back eight. With 6 stones left, USA never once tried to bury a draw opting for play on the wing. No chance for a steal, no shrinking of the scoring area, hello three.

Oh well, at least it was a close game and kept me going after midnight.

03-21-17 11:00AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Through 7 games they are in the mix at 4-3, tied for third place...so very much in the running.

Yeah, they need to go 3-1 or 4-0 the rest of the way to be pretty sure they'll get there, but let's take a look at who they've got to play against:

Germany 3-4 so far...should be a good game, but within reach easily
Russia 4-3 so far...this one is critical, as the win would not only help their record, but hurt the Russian's record
Switzerland 4-3 so far...see above, substituting "Switzerland" for "Russia"
Korea 3-4 so far...should be a winnable game

So...they are very alive...with the chance to hang losses on two of the teams likely to be competing for the 3/4 slots...

I fancy their chances to at least be in a tiebreaker.

03-22-17 10:50AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm actually a little worried about them securing an Olympic spot. The standings are quite crowded at 5-4 and 4-5.

The current Oly qualifying standings (ignoring South Korea, which qualifies as host -- top seven clinch a spot):

1. Switzerland - they'll make it.
2. Japan - didn't qualify for Worlds this year. If the USA finishes sixth or higher, the USA passes them. At seventh, it's a tie.
3. Russia - they'll make it.
4. Canada - no problem.
5. GB/Scotland - safe barring a really weird tiebreaker.

6. USA
7. Denmark - won't make it; set to finish 11th or 12th this year.
*8. Sweden - likely to pass the USA
*9. Germany - ties USA if they finish 4 places higher. Possible.
10. Finland - didn't qualify
11. Italy - would need a ton of help
12. Czech Republic - also would need a ton of help

So the Germany loss could be quite costly. But if the USA can win its next two and finish in the top six, they'll pass Japan, and there wouldn't be any way Italy or the Czech Republic could pass them, so they'll be safe.

03-22-17 11:17AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

U.S. Curling sure has gone downhill in the past 8 or so years. Wonder what the reason is??? ..... Might be because that don't send their national champion????
I may be wrong , but Roth seems like the spoiled rich kid.

03-22-17 11:22AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

US *Women's* curling is currently suffering from a talent dearth, the cause of which is quite debatable (and has been debated, tons...).

*Men's* curling, on the other hand, is likely stronger than it's been in the Olympic era. Our team going to World's this year is the defending Bronze medalist.

The two losses today (yesterday? I can never get that time line stuff right) are gonna hurt the women..an Olympic berth is not guaranteed yet....winning out would help, a lot.

03-22-17 12:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I like the us women's chances at winning out tomorrow. They have beaten paetz twice this season and if my memory serves me well they have a good record against Kim. So 6-5 is very possible and that should get them to the Olympics.

As for making the playoffs. Well they need Russia to lose twice . Russia play China and Sweden so that is possible. Also need Scotland to lose once. Scotland play Germany and Czech republic. Neither one of those is very likely but with as inconsistent as Scotland has been this week you never know

03-30-17 10:09PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
US *Women's* curling is currently suffering from a talent dearth, the cause of which is quite debatable (and has been debated, tons...).

*Men's* curling, on the other hand, is likely stronger than it's been in the Olympic era. Our team going to World's this year is the defending Bronze medalist.

The two losses today (yesterday? I can never get that time line stuff right) are gonna hurt the women..an Olympic berth is not guaranteed yet....winning out would help, a lot.

And there should be a HUGE asterisk on that bronze.

03-31-17 05:28AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Because?

03-31-17 05:30AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Because?

03-31-17 10:52AM
nom_de_broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom_de_broom Click here to Send nom_de_broom a Private Message Find more posts by nom_de_broom Add nom_de_broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom_de_broom
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

Because?

I'm assuming they're referring to the controversy when a stone bounced off the side board and affected another stone in the US game vs Japan. John removed a stone from the house that a lot of people think would have stayed in the house. A very tough situation to be put in for both teams.

04-02-17 01:01AM
BumperUp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BumperUp Find more posts by BumperUp Add BumperUp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BumperUp
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Yawn. I've seen more interesting trolling from a 13 year old girl on a Bieber forum. Get over it.

04-02-17 12:33PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

World Men's has the Big Two (Gushue and Edin) followed by a big group of legit hopefuls (Shuster, Scotland, the Swiss, Japan, China and Norway...none of which would surprise me if they medaled) followed by some teams that I would designate as longshots (Italy, Germany, Netherlands and Russia...I like Italy as my favorite longshot to make the playoffs).

So a pretty tough field for Shuster and his FaceTeam to battle through, but I like their chances. Nice win over Russia to start.

Last night's game vs. the Swiss wasn't a pretty game by either team. Our lead looked really good, but their skip looked pretty good. Hammy had a bad rock at second and we did a bad job of playing it. I'm sick of that. We seem to always be the team who isn't on top of the granite. Men's, Women's, Juniors'; it doesn't matter. We suck at playing the granite. How many times do we have to do this before we step up our rock mapping?

Ben Tucker

04-02-17 02:47PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

The USA men's game against the Swiss reminded me of the USA women's game against the Scots. Neither team playing well, good chance for a big victory against a strong opponent, USA has their chances but just can't seem to take advantage of opportunities.

With Hamilton, it seemed like every stone of his over-curled, and I'm wondering if the issue was more than just the granite. Regardless, they were slow (or slower than Kevin Martin) to pick up on it. Too bad.

04-02-17 06:41PM
1manwolfpack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1manwolfpack Click here to Send 1manwolfpack a Private Message Find more posts by 1manwolfpack Add 1manwolfpack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1manwolfpack
Knee-Slider

Not just the rocks

Look at the USAs deliveries. They slide closer to the center and throw the rocks out. All while putting the turn from the back of the handles.
I just don't think their rocks play the same as the other teams who slide more direct at the broom and give more of a traditional handle from closer to the front.
Happened again today vs Scotland. However; in this game, Shuster's weight was a major issue.

04-02-17 07:17PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Watched lots of the Brier on ESPN3 and watched first 2 USA games televised this weekend. Even knowing the guys on team USA, the curling from the Brier was much more fun to watch -- better shooting, better strategy.

04-02-17 10:16PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

I didn't watch the Brier and Scotties as closely, but it seems like the quality of play improved at both events through the week as everyone figured out the ice. Hoping that's some of what we're seeing through the first couple of days here.

04-03-17 10:18AM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Watched lots of the Brier on ESPN3 and watched first 2 USA games televised this weekend. Even knowing the guys on team USA, the curling from the Brier was much more fun to watch -- better shooting, better strategy.

I'm biased of course but I think that Canada is simply deeper in curling talent than most other countries, the game is simply so much more popular here, so the Brier and Scotties feature more top-level teams than the Worlds. My little city of Halifax contains 5 curling clubs, for example. Obviously there are fantastic teams from many countries (Edin, Murdoch, Muirhead, Sidorova, etc etc etc) but a Brier/Scotties team going 3-8 might translate into 6-5 in the Worlds.

04-03-17 01:45PM
corn broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corn broom Click here to Send corn broom a Private Message Find more posts by corn broom Add corn broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corn broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

So USA men have 2 losses to 2 very good teams, no real reason to panic but at the same time you are only allowed 4 losses, 5 probably doesn't get you in. Having said that the game against Scotland they just weren't sharp, one bad instance was shooting the exact same shot in the 4th (Scotland got 2)and missing the 2nd time. I think it was a communication issue and maybe a rock issue, which was stated before should not happen. I want to see them be just a bit more crisp and confident. You just don't see the Canadians make these mistakes. Hope we get on a run but there are some bumps ahead starting tonight, good luck boys.

04-03-17 10:43PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Shuster still doesn't have a sports psychologist, it seems...

sigh...

Way tight on the double against Canada, then wide on hammer, gives up a steal of three... There goes the match...

04-04-17 12:32AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

After 5 draws, Shuster is tied with 2 other skips with 2nd highest scoring percentage, George has 3rd highest percentage among thirds, Hamilton ranks 8th and Landsteiner ranks 5th. After watching USA's 3 losses, I did not expect team USA to be ranked this highly. Proabably a commentary on the field this year -- looks to be one of the weakest Worlds in several years.

04-04-17 09:56AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
After 5 draws, Shuster is tied with 2 other skips with 2nd highest scoring percentage, George has 3rd highest percentage among thirds, Hamilton ranks 8th and Landsteiner ranks 5th. After watching USA's 3 losses, I did not expect team USA to be ranked this highly. Proabably a commentary on the field this year -- looks to be one of the weakest Worlds in several years.

The problem with Shuster and George is not that they aren't great rock throwers, they are. It just seems they tend to throw their misses at the least opportune time. They give up five against Scotland, a steal of three against Canada, etc., etc.

They can lose to Eden, but need to run the rest of the table.