Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > How many major titles can Gushue win

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-10-17 10:50AM
gushuechamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gushuechamp Click here to Send gushuechamp a Private Message Find more posts by gushuechamp Add gushuechamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

How many major titles can Gushue win

Now that Gushue has finally gotten over the hump after his Olympic Trials and Olympic victories and finally won the Brier and worlds, his confidence should be at a new high. He also finally has a 4some that works impeccably together, after all the lineup changes he went through from 2007-2014 which caused chaos and dischord.

What can he achieve in terms of major titles? I think he will win the Brier 4 times, worlds 3 times, and win another Olympic Gold, which could be any of 2018, 2022, or 2026.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-10-17 10:58AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Not to mention the Player Championship this week, he did win it last year, can he repeat, he's in a very tough pool.

04-10-17 11:01AM
gushuechamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gushuechamp Click here to Send gushuechamp a Private Message Find more posts by gushuechamp Add gushuechamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
Not to mention the Player Championship this week, he did win it last year, can he repeat, he's in a very tough pool.

That will be tough coming off the high of worlds, but we will see. His Grand Slam record is underreported and mighty impressive though, largely overlooked probably since it took him so long to win a Brier, you would think someone Brier-less had won so many Grand Slam events as he has.

04-10-17 11:11AM
Ronemac52 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronemac52 Click here to Send Ronemac52 a Private Message Find more posts by Ronemac52 Add Ronemac52 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronemac52
Harvey Hacksmasher

I believe that keeping this team together will become an issue. No doubt they will be the #1 seed for the Olympic Berth and potentially may decide to stay together for one more Brier run.
Beyond that, however, I can certainly see both Brett and Geoff leaving and returning to their home provinces both for personal and curling opportunities. Both have skipped in the past and both may wish to represent their home provinces in the Brier. The Gushue team is great (probably one of the best ever), however, even winning a second Brier or getting to the Olympics is no guarantee with the quality teams across Canada. As Canadians we are lucky to have the quality teams and the quality individuals such as Brad's group. I for one cannot wait for the Roar of the Rings next December!

04-10-17 12:20PM
tyren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tyren Click here to Send tyren a Private Message Find more posts by tyren Add tyren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tyren
Harvey Hacksmasher

The front end love St. John's, they just don't say that they really mean it. The latest on the team after next season is that Geoff is going back to Alberta to live with Laura. I wonder if they will have an out of province player, Brad would not have even considered this option but considering they won the Brier and World's now he may be open to it. One thing is for sure I think Brad and Mark will go for 2022 together.

04-10-17 01:55PM
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

It will be interesting to see what happens. I honestly dont see Brett leaving anytime soon though. How successful is he really going to be skipping a team out of PEI, LOL! He isnt going to leave a situation this good for awhile.

As for Geoff he would find it almost impossible to get out of Alberta so he would also be leaving to a much worse situation, but he could just for family related purposes, even if curling wise it would make no sense.

04-10-17 02:07PM
Ronemac52 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronemac52 Click here to Send Ronemac52 a Private Message Find more posts by Ronemac52 Add Ronemac52 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronemac52
Harvey Hacksmasher

Geoff came close to getting out of Alberta in 2012(?).I don't think he would have any trouble putting a very competitive team together including Tom Sallows.

It will be very interesting, however, I can see a potential dismantling of the Koe team after next year, especially if they do not win the Roar. That would certainly open up the potential for new blood in Alberta.

The Gushue team is very special and for either Brett or Geoff to leave it will be difficult. I. however, think one or both of them might enjoy the challenge of leading a team from their home provinces and both are very capable.

04-10-17 04:09PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

How many more majors titles can Guehue win?

I wish him well. Suspect, however, that physical problems will

seriously hamper his success in majors following the 2017/18

season.

Additionally, I suspect Gallant will decide to Skip his own

team after the 2017-18 season. He would not have to play out

of PEI as you suggest; He could consider Ontario, Manitoba

or Alberta instead.

Even worse, while Gushue was recovering, I believe Nichols

discovered and subsequently proved, he could hold his own

as a Skip with the very best in the world . It would not

surprise me one little bit if he decided to jump ship after

the 2017/18 season and assemble a rink in just about any

province he wishes.

So to answer the question, I see Gushue winning next year's

Provincials, having a 30% chance of winning the Brier,having

a 60% chance of winning the Worlds, ( assuming he won the

Brier ), having a 60% of winning Olympic gold, ( assuming

he qualified ), plus two ( 2 ) Grand Slams.

After that, 'Game over, Lights out.'

04-10-17 04:14PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

its difficult to say. last year koe was the hottest team on the planet. there's cycles here with one team dominating everyone else for a season.

mcewen has done it (without winning worlds or the brier) a few years ago, koe did it last year.

i think brad will finish the season strong but it remains to be seen if he'll continue at this level next year/season.

04-10-17 04:25PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
its difficult to say. last year koe was the hottest team on the planet. there's cycles here with one team dominating everyone else for a season.

mcewen has done it (without winning worlds or the brier) a few years ago, koe did it last year.

i think brad will finish the season strong but it remains to be seen if he'll continue at this level next year/season.

Yes, curling is one of the toughest sports to stay on top, every season brings change, different teams, so hard to dominate, it looked like a few years ago Jacobs would be the team to beat for a long time, but since they won their Olympic Gold, they haven't been the same. If any team can dominate right now I would say no mens team looks like they will stay on top, but I think Homan can stay on top of the women at least for awhile.

04-10-17 04:57PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

" Frankly, the only teams in Canada capable of standing up to
Gushue are Koe, Jacobs & McEwen ."

Frankly, M.L. coming from Manitoba, how could you possibly

forget about Carruthers?

Shame on you!

04-10-17 09:19PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
How many more majors titles can Guehue win?

Even worse, while Gushue was recovering, I believe Nichols

So to answer the question, I see Gushue winning next year's

Provincials, having a 30% chance of winning the Brier,having

a 60% chance of winning the Worlds, ( assuming he won the

Brier ), having a 60% of winning Olympic gold, ( assuming

he qualified ), plus two ( 2 ) Grand Slams.

After that, 'Game over, Lights out.'

He will not be in the provincials next year so he can't win it. He gets an auto berth to the brier as Team Canada.

04-10-17 11:40PM
sasksasky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sasksasky Click here to Send sasksasky a Private Message Find more posts by sasksasky Add sasksasky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sasksasky
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by tyren
The latest on the team after next season is that Geoff is going back to Alberta to live with Laura.

Don't forget that Brett is also involved with Alberta based curler Jocelyn Peterman (she was in the box at the worlds) - so he could possibly bail west as well. OR, maybe the lady-friends will move to NFLD and form their own team from the rock??

Regardless of what happens, team Gushue has had an incredible 2 year run. Much like Homan, one game (ie: Brier final against the unstoppable Koe) at the wrong time last year put a slight damper on an excellent season with 3 slam wins (if I recall correctly) and a solid run at the brier.

I really like this team -- comparing to other CDN contenders, they have intensity at the right moments, solid performance across all positions, and all players demonstrate level-headedness. Their toughest challenge is is coming across a "streaky team" that knocks the lights out on a particular game -- and that can happen to any team. I would love to see them take the Roar of the Rings -- excellent reps for the country and also a well earned opportunity.

04-11-17 12:54PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by sasksasky

Don't forget that Brett is also involved with Alberta based curler Jocelyn Peterman (she was in the box at the worlds) - so he could possibly bail west as well. OR, maybe the lady-friends will move to NFLD and form their own team from the rock??

That sentence is just tooooo funny! Laine Peters may want to move too,

04-11-17 02:38PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Koe finished 5 points ahead of Brad last season. Both teams had great seasons, this year its Edin and Brad both having great seasons.

04-11-17 03:09PM
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

I still think atleast 3 of 4 members of Team Gushue will be together after the 2018 season and stay together for a run to 2022 perhaps. At the very least all 4 will play the 2018 Brier which thanks to the new Team Canada concept all will be good to play even if they go to the Olympics.

The Gushue "team" is still first and foremost Gushue-Nichols though, always has been. The others are important but the heart of the team is that pairing. I sense a renewed chemistry between those two and I am pretty sure regardless of the front end they are together until 2022 atleast, maybe beyond. Hopefully they keep the current team intact, or as much of it as possible, but even if not they should be able to find a suitable front end faster than the post Turin years.

04-11-17 03:38PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

they may not have to look very far, Boland who Brad beat in the prov playdowns just won the University games, what a chance for a young man to learn from two of the best

04-11-17 04:09PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

You're correct decade. An unforced error on my part.