Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Why is interest in curling falling?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-08-14 12:50PM
thejackhammer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thejackhammer Click here to Send thejackhammer a Private Message Find more posts by thejackhammer Add thejackhammer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thejackhammer
Hitting Paint

Lack of curling clubs, simple as that. I have to drive over an hour (hour and five minutes but, eh, still over an hour) to get t my club. People want to curl, but it isn't convenient for them

Rock On Bruh.

"Curling is more than a fantastic and a physically challenging sport, it is how I live."
-Barack Obama (The King of Curl)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-08-14 02:01PM
CURLS4LYFE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLS4LYFE Click here to Send CURLS4LYFE a Private Message Find more posts by CURLS4LYFE Add CURLS4LYFE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLS4LYFE
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by thejackhammer
Lack of curling clubs, simple as that. I have to drive over an hour (hour and five minutes but, eh, still over an hour) to get t my club. People want to curl, but it isn't convenient for them

Curling, although it is a fantastic sport, seems to have had a serious drop in the US. I feel like it just is not as accessible as it used to be. I have to drive over an hour and ten minutes (suck it thejackhammer) to get to my club. God bless America, and God bless curling.

05-08-14 02:56PM
Curling_Dad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling_Dad Click here to Send Curling_Dad a Private Message Find more posts by Curling_Dad Add Curling_Dad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling_Dad
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CURLS4LYFE

Curling, although it is a fantastic sport, seems to have had a serious drop in the US. I feel like it just is not as accessible as it used to be. I have to drive over an hour and ten minutes (suck it thejackhammer) to get to my club. God bless America, and God bless curling.

I hate to be a sob story topper but my drive lasts me about one hour and fifteen minutes before I arrive to my local Curling Club

05-10-14 03:25PM
thejackhammer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thejackhammer Click here to Send thejackhammer a Private Message Find more posts by thejackhammer Add thejackhammer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thejackhammer
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Curling_Dad
I hate to be a sob story topper but my drive lasts me about one hour and fifteen minutes before I arrive to my local Curling Club
touché

Rock On Bruh.

"Curling is more than a fantastic and a physically challenging sport, it is how I live."
-Barack Obama (The King of Curl)

05-11-14 06:13AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

It's not due to a lack of money. People have money today - as is evidenced in the ever-increasing number of 'technological toys' that people buy.

That curling is not an easy thing to do is one element in its lack of popularity. I see interested people come to our club for Open House / Free Clinic days, but very, very few take a step further and join the club. Most are very surprised that the act of sliding and throwing a curling stone down a sheet of ice so that it will stop within a certain area is so difficult. That’s intimidating. "But it looks so easy on TV", they say. Indeed, it does. And so they are disappointed that it is not as easy as they thought it would be - so most cross it off the list, rather than try to master it to a degree. In this culture of infinite distractions and 'instant gratification', people simply don't want to invest the time and effort to improve at something as people once did.

Also, for the kids, curling is not considered one of the ‘cool’ sports or activities. And when one is young, the ‘cool’ factor is everything - it is how decisions are made. ‘Coolness’ overrides everything else. Case in point - consider that skateboarding is extremely popular, even though every skateboarding ‘stunt’ has an approximately 95% failure rate. Kids are falling and failing all over the place. But they persist - because it's 'cool'.
A nation-wide marketing program in schools promoting curling as a ‘cool’ sport certainly would not do any damage, and would likely attract more than a few kids. The tie-in is natural - game played on ice... therefore ‘cool’, etc..

Last edited by On The Nose on 05-11-14 at 06:18AM

05-11-14 12:28PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

You make a good point On The Nose.

A lot of folks are shocked by how difficult that curling really is for new curlers. They see it on TV and think that anyone can do it... and are rudely surprised that this isn't the case.

I've had the same experience at Open House and Novice Clinics with new curlers as you had.

We can find ways to make it a bit easier which may help, such as teaching using delivery aides like the Stabilizer (for those struggling with balance especially). And I really like the idea of novice leagues with instruction so people with a similar skill level can be grouped together for an entire season. As their skills progress, we can shift them into other leagues, instead of throwing them into the deep end from the get go.

As for the cool factor... yeah, that's a problem. But it's also something that can't be forced. We can bring to the kids (Rock & Rings at the elementary schools is a good idea), but you can't force something to be cool. What I do find interesting is that curling is considered cool for 20-somethings (the clubs that have good novice programs tend to better in this age group then with juniors) rather than teenagers. I think to find a way to make the sport "cool" we need to actually talk to kids and find out if and how we could do it.

05-11-14 04:24PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Canadian Curling Association offers a great Learn to Curl program where new players are put all together into their own league where they get some training and play as well.

It's been executed very well in Ottawa, originated by Earle Morris, as well as another similarly designed program in Oakville, Ontario.

Here's another testimonial for the program being done at the McArthur Island Curling Club in Kamloops, BC:
http://www.curling.ca/blog/2014/02/...-learn-to-curl/

If you want more information on the program, here's the link:
http://www.curling.ca/start-curling...ing-for-adults/

It includes several videos that can be used for training, as well as a fully documented program to implement in your club.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

05-12-14 10:13AM
El Diablo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for El Diablo Click here to Send El Diablo a Private Message Find more posts by El Diablo Add El Diablo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
El Diablo
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thumbs up Thank you

Thanks for descending from your golden throne, Gerry. Glad to see you mingling with the groundlings.