Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-02-18 12:01PM
GreatCanadian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GreatCanadian Click here to Send GreatCanadian a Private Message Find more posts by GreatCanadian Add GreatCanadian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

Who are the best?

Ok. Who is (are?) the best team in the world?

For the men, my pick is Niklas Edin. From 2013 to now he has an Olympic Silver, Olympic Bronze, 3 world curling championships, and spent most of this season ranked number 1 on the World Curling Tour. That being said, Kevin Koe was the winner of what I believe to be the toughest event in the world, the Canadian Curling Trials.

On the women's side it's tougher, but I believe Anna Hasselborg is the best. Homan, when curling at her peak is extremely tough to beat. Then again, although I'm not a Jennifer Jones fan, it's hard to argue her record. But still, I believe Hasselborg to be the best. 2017 world bronze, 2018 world silver, 2018 olympic gold.

On both Hasselborg and Edin; they must have been exhausted by this season's end. A lot of travel especially around Olympic and World schedules. Hats off to both!

What are your choices? ML, no need to write a novel.

GC

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-02-18 12:43PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Re: Who are the best?

quote:
Originally posted by GreatCanadian
Ok. Who is (are?) the best team in the world?

For the men, my pick is Niklas Edin. From 2013 to now he has an Olympic Silver, Olympic Bronze, 3 world curling championships, and spent most of this season ranked number 1 on the World Curling Tour. That being said, Kevin Koe was the winner of what I believe to be the toughest event in the world, the Canadian Curling Trials.

On the women's side it's tougher, but I believe Anna Hasselborg is the best. Homan, when curling at her peak is extremely tough to beat. Then again, although I'm not a Jennifer Jones fan, it's hard to argue her record. But still, I believe Hasselborg to be the best. 2017 world bronze, 2018 world silver, 2018 olympic gold.

On both Hasselborg and Edin; they must have been exhausted by this season's end. A lot of travel especially around Olympic and World schedules. Hats off to both!

What are your choices? ML, no need to write a novel.

GC

women - Jennifer Jones and her current team.

They have been together a long time, until now. They have been competitive for years. They have two worlds, a few Scotties, Olympic gold and many Grand Slam wins - over a span of many years.

Her percentages are always not that good - but she can come up with the big shot when she needs to and you can throw the percentages out the window.

05-02-18 03:15PM
GreatCanadian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GreatCanadian Click here to Send GreatCanadian a Private Message Find more posts by GreatCanadian Add GreatCanadian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Who are the best?

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
women - Jennifer Jones and her current team.

I'll certainly agree that for a long time she has was the best. I still believe that right now, there are 2 or 3 teams better. Just my opinion.

That being said, what's your choice on the men's side?

GC

05-02-18 03:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

first off lol @ legend calling jamie sinclair the 2nd best team in north america. jumping on another bandwagon i see. they're good but are not better than teams like jones, einarson, scheidegger or carey. i'd even say nina roth is a stronger team

as for the question. do you mean currently active or in this very moment based off this season

currently active the best women's team in the world is probably homan but it's tight between her, muirhead, jones and hasselborg. based off results this season the best team was jenniffer jones

on the men's side it's even harder to answer. the best team currently active is probably gushue but it's just inches over edin. edin was the best team this year.

05-02-18 05:44PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Nina Roth is NOT even close to Sinclair. Her claim to fame was being the main American team at tour events. I like her, she's got a nice demeanour but not near enough arrows in her quiver.

Einarson was breaking up her team - so her results have to be seen thru a certain lens of skepticism. She carried an average 2nd, a slightly above average sparkplug lead and a 3rd who started to quiver with Kerri in too many situations. Kerri herself when on her game is almost as sharp as Homan - but like Jones, misses a few too many 'basic' shots for my liking.

In North American the top 5 women (in no particular order) are: Sinclair, Homan, Jones, Scheidegger & probably Einarson.
Carey, Fleury, Rocque and a few others are in the next tier.

In Europe the Top 5 vary from month to month but my votes would go to:
Hasselborg, Tirinzoni, Muirhead w/ Paetz & Feltscher a couple steps back.

We are going to have to agree to disagree in regard to the American teams because I just don't see Sinclair the same way but I respect your opinion and I hope you can mine

As far as Europe women don't forget moiseeva and especially sidorova. Don't write her off due to one bad year. Remember just last year she was in the world final having beaten hasselborg twice to get there and was closer than anyone to handing Rachel a loss in the round robin. I'd actually rank sidorova right there with muirhead and hasselborg, all 3 a little ahead of the Swiss teams.

Last edited by misty1 on 05-02-18 at 05:58PM

05-02-18 05:49PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Mens

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Canadian Mens Top teams:

1. Gushue & Koe are clearly in a league of their own. They are the current twin-headed monster of Canadian mens curling.

2. Brad Jacobs - still young enough to challenge for another Olympic cycle is on his own island at #3

3. Lots of challengers without huge accomplishments here:
Carruthers, McEwen (now joining forces), Laycock, Epping, Cotter, Bottcher occupy space here - although a good case could be made to place Bottcher all alone between Jacobs and all the other #3 teams. Glen Howard's wonderful showing at the year-ender shows he hasn't been put down yet

If I were to take the top Euro teams and rate them within my Canadian rankings I'd have Nik Edin in the group with Gushue & Koe - perhaps #2 by a hair - other days #1.
Mouat might be fairly ranked equivalent to Jacobs - or top of the #3 category. He'll be a tough out for years to come at world and slam levels.

As far as Europe goes I think it's painfully clear that ,when they are on edin, decruz and mouat are in a class of their own from the others and it's not particularly close. Think all 3 are good enough where they could rank inside the top 10 in Canada . The only ones to challenge them are Smith and walstadbut they just can't keep up with the 3 mentioned at their best.

05-02-18 06:35PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Who are the best? GC. 05-02-18.

Using your own timeline of 2013 to now, cannot agree with you that Hasselborg is the "best". She won the Stockholm Ladies Cup gold in '16 as well as the Oakville Fall Classic in '16. In addition she won gold in the '18 Olympics, But during this time she failed to win a single Grand Slam event.

By comparison, Jones won Olympic gold in '14, Scotties gold in '15 and '18, World gold in '18 and eight ( 8 ) Grand Slams.

Considering Homan's record of three ( 3 ) Scotties gold in '13, '14 and '17, 1 World gold in '17 and six (6 ) Grand Slam championships in the same period, I cannot entertain the thought that Hasselborg finishes better than 3rd best, let alone "best".

Sorry, but 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishes really don't interest me.

As Vince Lombardi said, "winning championships isn't everything, it's the only thing"

TC

05-02-18 06:53PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Who are the best?

quote:
Originally posted by GreatCanadian

I'll certainly agree that for a long time she has was the best. I still believe that right now, there are 2 or 3 teams better. Just my opinion.

That being said, what's your choice on the men's side?

GC

too many on the men's side to chose - they can all be great and on a roll. No men's team has been dominant for a long time, with teams changing players all the time and for as long as Jones - that is why I could not come up with a men's team.

I will say my favorite team up and coming and will be a force is Bottcher.

05-02-18 10:08PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

In the women's category the Jones team gets my vote. Based on the year they had as well as their long running successes of years past.

In the men's category I would put it down to Gushue and Edin. I would love to see these two teams battle it out in a best of seven!

05-03-18 06:53AM
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes it's a difficult question to answer. I do believe that when Koe is on, there is noone in the world will beat him even if the challenging team is having an A+ game. My reason for picking Edin has been his consistency over the past 5 years or so. But it's certainly a debatable choice. Same goes for the women. I believe that when Rachel Homan is on noone can beat her. but she's had a somewhat off year this season.The best team won't always win. Gold could be lost on a pick, or an inconsistent rock, or just one off game. So second and third place finishes do count to me. I just believe that what Edin and Hasselborg accomplished in both Olympics and Worlds was impressive for more than just their placements. It had to be mentally and physically exhausting for them. But there are so many great teams in Canada. The curling trials are a grind. If you are not on your A game you're eaten alive. I think it's the toughest event in curling, and Koe won that. So it's a very difficult choice.

05-03-18 04:34PM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

I will base my opinion on the 2017-2018 season. If we start with the premise that to be the best you have to beat the best and that all teams have a equal chance to play in a tournament, then only the Oylympics and World championships count. So Hasselborg with a gold and silver respectively and Edin with a silver and gold are the best. Scotties, Europeans, Asian, Slams don’t meet my criteria to be the best.
If you base it on a career, then it will change considerably.

05-03-18 06:07PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Who are the best? GC 05-02-18

Again, based on your timeline of 2013 to the present, Edin has won Euro gold 4 times, World gold 3 times and Grand Slam gold 3 times for a total of 10. Gushue has won Brier gold twice, World gold one time and Grand Slam gold 9 times for a total of 12.

While 2 extra championships doesn't sound like a lot - and it isn't - I believe Gushue's advantage is, however, actually misleading and even understated because it fails to factor in the degree of difficulty involved to win various events. For example, I would suggest it is at least twice as difficult for a team to win the Brier compared to winning an Euro. On that basis I would think it appropriate to increase Gushue's advantage to at least 3 extra championships, perhaps even 4. And since I'm also very impressed with Gushue's decided advantage in term of Grand Slams, I cannot approve your choice of Edin as the "best."

TC

05-03-18 09:01PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Men:
1A - Gushue
1B - Edin
2 - Koe

Women:
1A - Homan
1B - Jones
2 Hasselborg

Gushue has been the most consistent team over the past 3-4 years. I feel Edin is just behind Gushue. Koe is not far behind.

I would take Homan over any other ladies team in a best of seven. Jones would give them a run for their money. Feel Hasselborg is a ways behind Homan and Jones.