Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-14-16 01:54AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Tsn

Anyone on here with any pull with the guru's at TSN? Sure be nice if they put the score on 1 or both sides of the TV screen instead of the bottom. Jus t an idea, another network does it and it is a GREAT idea.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-14-16 06:09AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Also - all curling telecasts should keep the score and the rocks remaining to throw in the end on the screen AT ALL TIMES.
Several times, I've gone away from the tv for a few minutes and returned to see them showing a team in full and detailed discussion about what shot to throw next - and the score, end, and rocks remaining is nowhere to be seen!

A) What end it is, B) How many rocks remain in the end, and C) The score - is very important to know while we watch the team discuss what shot to throw next.

I've seen both TSN and Sportsnet be guilty of this. One would think that, with the 'curling heads' working at both networks, someone would prevent this from happening...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-24-16 07:46PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

If anyone with any pull at TSN reads this ... I agree with you completely ... but even more (ten times more!) I wish someone would remind the analysts that they are talking to the VIEWERS, not to the TEAMS.

I wish someone would remind them about this every day, every end, every shot if necessary, until they stop saying things like:

"If you hit this on the high side, you'll jam it and give up a steal of two."

When I hear comments like this, I can't help thinking: "WHO do you think you're talking to? I'M not gonna miss this shot!

"I'm not gonna make it, either! I'm watching the game, just like you are. And if THEY hit it on the high side, THEY'LL give up a steal of two. But not ME!"

Maybe I should feel as if they're trying to coach me along, and maybe I should be grateful for their assistance, but most of the time I find it kind of insulting: as if they couldn't debase themselves to the level of actually speaking to their audience.

03-24-16 08:18PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

always complaints. No one is ever happy we get all the coverage we do. Thanks TSN and Sporsnet for the great coverage.

If I leave the room and come back, I can pretty much figure out what is going on.

03-24-16 09:35PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

If I leave the room I always put the game on pause. Yes, I can pause live t.v.

03-25-16 07:16PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
always complaints.

But not just complaints. Constructive suggestions as to how they could improve their coverage if they wanted to.

03-25-16 07:55PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
always complaints. No one is ever happy we get all the coverage we do. Thanks TSN and Sporsnet for the great coverage.

If I leave the room and come back, I can pretty much figure out what is going on.

More than figuring out what is going on. Sometimes the scoreboard is covering rocks that are at the back of the house. Has nothing to do with either networks coverage. I also think the amount of coverage is great. Just some constructive criticism is all, I apologize.

03-25-16 10:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Love the coverage but somebody, somewhere, somehow, has to tell Vic to stop, think, count to three and then speak, because every game, every end he opens his mouth and says something totally wrong, stupid, asinine regarding the shots or calls of the game. Moose Turnball called, he said time to join him.

03-25-16 11:47PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I guess Vic is having trouble coming up with new material - so he usually emits the same nonsense to see how Russ or Cheryl react.

I'll take a tired and out-of-sorts Vic Rauter over the oblivious but 30 years younger Brian Mudryk any day of the week!

I know that most people think that Vic asks dumb questions and says stupid things purposefully to set up Russ and Cheryl so they can educate the viewing audience.

I don't think this is true at all. In my opinion he's just not a very bright guy and in 25+ years has really not learned and doesn't understand anything beyond very rudimentary strategy.

Having said that, he's still a good play by play announcer and miles better than Brian Mudryk. I really don't get what TSN sees in Mudryk. He's bland. He's boring. He has no personality. He just adds nothing to a telecast. And when you combine him with Cathy Gauthier who sounds like she's teaching 7th grade Math when she explains what teams are trying to do..... I don't need my curling announcers to be condescending.

Russ is great. Cheryl is decent enough, but I still miss Linda. I think she'll go down as the best curling commentator ever.

03-25-16 11:55PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

I noticed that during The Elite Ten Sportsnet was showing the rock coming down the ice from behind the thrower with a view of the house from that direction. Only once the rock had almost reached the house did they revert to the traditional view of the rock coming towards you that TSN has always used.

It was great. You could see the rock curling and the target it was aiming for during it's complete path. I've never understood why that view isn't the default one rather than the way TSN has always done things.

When you can't see the rocks in the house you have no idea what's happening other than the skip calling for sweeping or not. Now with directional sweeping it's even harder to know if the shot is close or not as the rock moves down the ice.

What's the rationale for not showing the view from behind the thrower that allows you to see the rocks in the house as the thrown rock is making its way down the ice?

03-25-16 11:58PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Probably stubbornness of the network(s).

03-27-16 07:20AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

I know that most people think that Vic asks dumb questions and says stupid things purposefully to set up Russ and Cheryl so they can educate the viewing audience.

I don't think this is true at all. In my opinion he's just not a very bright guy and in 25+ years has really not learned and doesn't understand anything beyond very rudimentary strategy.

Having said that, he's still a good play by play announcer and miles better than Brian Mudryk. I really don't get what TSN sees in Mudryk. He's bland. He's boring. He has no personality. He just adds nothing to a telecast. And when you combine him with Cathy Gauthier who sounds like she's teaching 7th grade Math when she explains what teams are trying to do..... I don't need my curling announcers to be condescending.

Russ is great. Cheryl is decent enough, but I still miss Linda. I think she'll go down as the best curling commentator ever.

I don't mind Vic at all. He's genuine, and doesn't pretend to know what he doesn't know... he doesn't talk too much... he never hesitates to defer to Russ or Cheryl regarding strategy...
He plays his role in the booth very well.

Russ is good, as well... though he can get to talking too much at times - almost as if trying to impress the audience with his knowledge. There's no question that he knows his stuff... but it would just be nice if he held back a bit once in a while. Overall, though, it's not a big deal, and I can certainly tolerate it, and be enlightened by his knowledge.

I have had less exposure to Cheryl, as she's the newest of the 3. But from what I've seen and heard from her, I have no complaints.

Over on the French side (Usually on RDS 2), Guy Hemmings is in his second year in the booth, I believe (I think they do the commentary in the RDS studio, rather than being at the event - but I could be mistaken, as I don't recall exactly). Hemmings talks far too much on the French broadcasts. I suspect this is because whomever he is partnered with likely doesn't know curling well, and Hemmings feels he has to 'carry the show', so to speak. But he overdoes it.

It would be interesting to see how Hemmings would do on an English telecast. English not being his first language, he'd surely talk far less than he does in French - which would be a good thing. He's a witty and genuinely funny guy, so it might actually work well if someone gave him a chance to work an English telecast.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-27-16 at 07:26AM

03-27-16 08:48AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

Curling on TV is great, however there could be some improvements. First off, I would love to see more camera shots from either the thrower or house end of the shot. In other words, camera views that follow the shot from start to finish. This would work for especially well for draw shots where viewers could see the curl of the rock as it traveled down the ice. I also would like to see more shots showing a player's delivery from the side. I know the director's like the face shots after delivery, but, throw in a side shot every now and then. Also, how about a split screen shot showing the skip and thrower. I like to see broom placement and the reaction of the skip calling line in the house.

Overall, I love the commentators, they are there to give their opinion. Vic is fantastic as a host.

04-02-16 01:13PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

First game of the Worlds and guess where the score board is??? Thanks TSN!!!

04-02-16 09:35PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
First game of the Worlds and guess where the score board is??? Thanks TSN!!!

That's a WCF scoreboard. So, if you want to yell at someone, yell at them.

04-02-16 09:50PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: Tsn

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Anyone on here with any pull with the guru's at TSN? Sure be nice if they put the score on 1 or both sides of the TV screen instead of the bottom. Just an idea, another network does it and it is a GREAT idea.

On the TV screen it is now on the top. I'm not screaming at anyone, I'm thanking them.

02-20-17 08:48PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Thanks TSN for putting the score and rock count to th left side.

02-20-17 10:35PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

KM blows a 4 shot lead, She let her game degenerate into skipping by committee, Kendra needs to learn to keep her mouth shut, Talk about a weak link.

02-21-17 12:39AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

I don't mind Vic at all. He's genuine, and doesn't pretend to know what he doesn't know... he doesn't talk too much... he never hesitates to defer to Russ or Cheryl regarding strategy...
He plays his role in the booth very well.

Russ is good, as well... though he can get to talking too much at times - almost as if trying to impress the audience with his knowledge. There's no question that he knows his stuff... but it would just be nice if he held back a bit once in a while. Overall, though, it's not a big deal, and I can certainly tolerate it, and be enlightened by his knowledge.

I have had less exposure to Cheryl, as she's the newest of the 3. But from what I've seen and heard from her, I have no complaints.

Over on the French side (Usually on RDS 2), Guy Hemmings is in his second year in the booth, I believe (I think they do the commentary in the RDS studio, rather than being at the event - but I could be mistaken, as I don't recall exactly). Hemmings talks far too much on the French broadcasts. I suspect this is because whomever he is partnered with likely doesn't know curling well, and Hemmings feels he has to 'carry the show', so to speak. But he overdoes it.

It would be interesting to see how Hemmings would do on an English telecast. English not being his first language, he'd surely talk far less than he does in French - which would be a good thing. He's a witty and genuinely funny guy, so it might actually work well if someone gave him a chance to work an English telecast.

If you want to learn how to commenetate a curling game, e.g. local webstream or such, TSN is a really good professional model. They are great. Vic is the straight guy, egging on his experts to help the audience learn more about the game. I do think some long shots of the ice are really great to see the rocks curl. You really can't tell that as well from the overhead shots. Every club webstream has a long view of the ice which is terrific, unless the skips annoyingly follow their shots down the ice.

02-21-17 09:15AM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

Personally I would prefer to hear less from the commentators as I am more interested in hearing what the players are saying. If the Audio Track is in stereo, which I suspect it is, it would be highly beneficial to put the commentators on one track (ie left or right channel) and the players on the other. In this way the viewer could adjust the left/right audio level to meet their listening preference.

02-21-17 11:38AM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by NSCoach
Personally I would prefer to hear less from the commentators as I am more interested in hearing what the players are saying. If the Audio Track is in stereo, which I suspect it is, it would be highly beneficial to put the commentators on one track (ie left or right channel) and the players on the other. In this way the viewer could adjust the left/right audio level to meet their listening preference.

Russ used to be really good about this, but that was when Linda and Ray were still in the booth, and he got the morning draws. He would even state that they should listen to the team on the ice to hear what they are thinking, instead of guessing what they are thinking. Now, Russ is basically Ray. He's a guy that plays along with Vic, drools over the top teams, talks over the teams while they are discussing strategy, and makes terrible jokes. I used to love Russ in the booth, but I wish there was a mute the broadcasters button. I still want to hear from the players, but not the booth.