Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-18-16 07:48PM
ethan.b.meyers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ethan.b.meyers Click here to Send ethan.b.meyers a Private Message Find more posts by ethan.b.meyers Add ethan.b.meyers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ethan.b.meyers
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Totally different. I think Ethan would love to have the rule named after his upset. Somebody ask him.

2 loss provision works just fine. Does it apply to Men's and Women's as well?

Ben Tucker

Quinn insists it needs to be called the Team Meyers rule. I like the sound of that. Granted it's completely thrown out already since after 4 draws we're already out of undefeated teams.

On the Dropkin DQ:
It was discovered around the second end. After that the officials took the best course of action and allowed play to continue while they figured out what to do. Since there's no clear-cut rule for what exactly the consequence should be for not submitting an updated line-up card, it took a few ends of discussion and research and phone calls to figure out what should happen. It was not a decision they made lightly at all but the ruling seems to be consistient with the rule about throwing ("deliberately") out of order.

It's an unfortunate mistake, but I think if anything it'll just boost the team's focus. Going forward I hope the system changes so that a lineup card needs to be submitted before every game, even if you're using the same lineup as last game. There's no reason not to do that and it will practically eliminate the possibility of this mistake happening again.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-18-16 09:17PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ethan.b.meyers

On the Dropkin DQ:
It was discovered around the second end. After that the officials took the best course of action and allowed play to continue while they figured out what to do. Since there's no clear-cut rule for what exactly the consequence should be for not submitting an updated line-up card, it took a few ends of discussion and research and phone calls to figure out what should happen. It was not a decision they made lightly at all but the ruling seems to be consistient with the rule about throwing ("deliberately") out of order.

Pretty harsh penalty for something where "there's no clear-cut rule for what exactly the consequence should be..."

Result may be consistent with the rule for throwing deliberately out of order but not sure the offense is consistent with a deliberate action taken during a game.

01-18-16 11:29PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

AHA! I (finally) got one right! It's now the Meyers Rule. Quinn can try to add the Team and see if it catches on.

Quinn is an Alaskan and, therefore, crazy. All curlers should always remember: ALASKANS BE CRAZY! Good rule to live by. Memorize it. Alaskans be crazy.

Dropkin rink drops one to Clawson. The Boy's half is getting interesting early.

The Girl's side...not so much. Annamaria Dubbya off to great start. Take my advice and keep an eye on Runing and her teammates. They are all good. Melissa could go very far in this sport if she wants to.

Last year in Devils Lake, Kevin Kakela told me that Hunter Clawson looked like a rising star. Kevin knows nothing about curling, so it was probably just a lucky guess. OK, Kev might know a thing or two.

Ben Tucker

01-19-16 04:23PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

not a walk though for dropkin like some thought it might be. i think its good there's competition for him. they could have to take the long road if they are gonna win this time.

like i said before though, i doubt it will matter. Dropkin will go to worlds as alternate anyway.

Last edited by misty1 on 01-19-16 at 04:25PM

01-19-16 04:34PM
Casual Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Casual Curler Click here to Send Casual Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Casual Curler Add Casual Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Casual Curler
Knee-Slider

Something in the last comment that should catch some attention.... Long road to worlds or not Dropkin will go as an alternate - Reality is that he will not be an alternate, past experience tells us he will be skipping and replacing an existing player. I guess one could wonder why if he can't win skipping his own team, he should take over skipping the winning team? Best for him to win with his own team.

01-19-16 04:40PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Casual Curler
Something in the last comment that should catch some attention.... Long road to worlds or not Dropkin will go as an alternate - Reality is that he will not be an alternate, past experience tells us he will be skipping and replacing an existing player. I guess one could wonder why if he can't win skipping his own team, he should take over skipping the winning team? Best for him to win with his own team.

i do wonder why he recieves such favor from the association.i mean..its nothing against him personally but in 3 times he has gone to the world juniors now and he hasnt even gotten to a tiebreaker.

01-19-16 05:22PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Casual Curler
That is exactly the new rule that came out of last year! Our precious HPP team went undefeated and then lost. So a non-HPP team went to worlds - Now, of course we know that they added the beloved skip from the HPP team and replaced/shuffled the team around so they could have the HPP skip, skipping a team he had never played on. So this year if you go undefeated there is a loss provision rule in place... second chances for our HPP team to ensure they get to worlds. My point was in all the arrogance of the HPP team - wouldn't you rather take a loss to a team that won't effect the playoffs and then run the table at playoffs and not have to play the 2nd place team a second time! Strategic move? or honest error in not submitting a lineup card to officials? Questionable at best!

"Precious" team?
"Beloved" skip?
"Arrogance" of the team?

Oh, honey. You may not be a Competitive-with-a-capital-C curler, but you sure as hell ain't Casual-curler-just-passing-by-with-a-capital-C either.

You want to criticize the process and why the program can't seem to get its well-funded teams to punch their cards to worlds (adult and junior alike) join the club -- A. MacNeill, Pres. -- and have at it. But your snide remarks don't come across as critical of Derek Brown and his Band of Less Than Stellar Renown. They look like you've got a personal beef with Korey, Tom, Alex, Quinn and Mark, whether singularly or as a whole. If that's the case, then either man up and own your sh*t or leave it in the high school cafeteria with the Mean Girls where it belongs.

01-19-16 06:48PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Dang. Nom de broom woke up. Nice.

I've been lucky enough to met Korey and most of the others. Very briefly, but on a few occasions. You won't find nicer young men anywhere.

Yes, we should all be careful to separate the Players from the Program.

I'll start by trying to defend the Program that I don't, even remotely, agree with:

Once a team wins Juniors, the Committee gets to assign them a fifth. Some teams dodge this...some teams don't. If you're on that Committee, who are you going to take? You're going to take Korey. Great guy. Great curler. Respected by all the other teams.

Now you're the coach at World Juniors. Your team is NOT off to a great start. New to Juniors is that the bottom teams get relegated to a World Junior Qualifying Event. USCA staff, Board, HPP staff and USA curling fans don't want to be relegated (although I think that's just silly and shortsighted). What do you do as the coach? You put in Korey.

Current thinking with USCA staff and HPP staff is, "It's not YOUR worlds. It affects all of us, so it is OUR worlds. We will do what we have to do in order to place well."

So while I disagree strongly with all of that (especially for Juniors), each step does have some logic. Those involved in each step are doing what they believe to be best.

Ben Tucker (not nearly entertaining as nom)

01-19-16 09:47PM
Norse Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Norse Curler Click here to Send Norse Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Norse Curler Add Norse Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Norse Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Seem to be missing coverage. Last year watched alot of this event. Is there no streaming?

01-19-16 09:54PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Well said nom de broom. I think that what the HPP did last year with the Junior Champs was so very wrong, but that does not excuse the vitriol directed at the HP Team -- all good kids and good curlers, just the kind of people we want representing us at Worlds.

Tuck gives the HPP a pass for all of this, saying that their moves have some logic and they are all trying to do their best. Perhaps that is true but at some point we have to give our Champions what they should have won as a team -- the opportunity to represent USA in world play. Bring a 5th man along to thew worlds, like all countries do, but insert him into the Championship team only if someone is unable to curl, like most countries do.

As they have demonstrated, HPP can change the rules for determining our champions however they wish but, once our champion is determined, HPP should fully support that championship team.

Last edited by dbsdbs on 01-20-16 at 11:53AM

01-20-16 10:02AM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Norse Curler
Seem to be missing coverage. Last year watched alot of this event. Is there no streaming?

They've been streaming . . .

http://www.teamusa.org/~/link.aspx?...7D0B9E01CE&_z=z

-BA

01-21-16 11:50AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

It looks like the playoffs are all but set for the Junior Men.

Clawson goes 8-1 to claim the #1 seed...these kids are good...and don't age out for another year, if my math is correct..maybe even 2 years.

Dropkin will get a chance for revenge in the 1-2 Page game as he's set at 7-2...we'll see if HPP experience pays off in the Playoff...

Stopera is clinched in at #3 at 6-3.

And Connolly avoids the tiebreaker by one point, taking 4th at 5-4.

It's looking good that the seat for the Junior Champions at Men's Championships won't be necessary...Clawson has already earned their seat at the table via the playin, and Dropkin got in via the HPP clause already as well. And realistically, I'm expecting Clawson/Dropkin III to be the final for the right to go to World's as Team USA in a couple days.

McCormick might wanna make plane reservations for Jacksonville...prices are still low...

01-21-16 09:20PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Time to put on my Eastie hat with a bit of expansion to include the left coast as well. Did you notice that on the top 5 teams, 21 of the 23 players are from the coasts? Yep, GNCC, Seattle and Alaska.

JH

01-21-16 09:46PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Time to put on my Eastie hat with a bit of expansion to include the left coast as well. Did you notice that on the top 5 teams, 21 of the 23 players are from the coasts? Yep, GNCC, Seattle and Alaska.

JH

Looks like similar stat for the Junior Women except that all but a couple of curlers on the 4 finalists are from the Midwest

01-22-16 09:20AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm hopping into my pickup and driving down to watch the semis and tomorrow's finals. I'll y'all know what I see.

Ben Tucker

01-22-16 12:50PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Ouch - tough loss for HP team in Page 1-2. Tied coming home with hammer. Clawson made nice draw to back 4-foot with his final rock leaving Dropkin a draw for the win, perhaps with backing. Dropkin appeared to throw good stone but sweepers were maybe anxious and swept it too much. Stone stopped in back 4-foot but too deep to be shot. Clawson moves on to championship game.

01-22-16 12:58PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

And now the Clawsons will Rue the hiccup they had back in Draw 2 against Shlimovitz where they gave up the two to lose the game.

If they'd managed to win that game, they'd have two chances to win one against whomever emerges from the Page Semi (appears to be gonna be Dropkin vs Stopera)....instead, that one end means that the Championship game is...well...a Championship game.

This will be the biggest pressure game the Clawson rink has played to this point...yeah they had to win to get into Men's Nationals in a Do or Die, but that was a stretch goal in the first place...this is the one they wanted.

What I wanna know is will they get even a cursory look from the Junior HPP folks for next season? Or will the fact they curl from East of the Appalachians make them irrelevant to "Team USA"?

01-22-16 01:13PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

What I wanna know is will they get even a cursory look from the Junior HPP folks for next season? Or will the fact they curl from East of the Appalachians make them irrelevant to "Team USA"?

Not sure east or west of any landmark is or has been a factor

Last edited by dbsdbs on 01-22-16 at 01:30PM

01-22-16 01:39PM
noleary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for noleary Click here to Send noleary a Private Message Find more posts by noleary Add noleary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
noleary
Knee-Slider

Well, let's see. There are currently 10 juniors in the HP. 3 hail from the Midwest, 6 from the East, and 1 from Alaska. Seems like the coasts are getting treated fairly.

01-22-16 01:53PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by noleary
Well, let's see. There are currently 10 juniors in the HP. 3 hail from the Midwest, 6 from the East, and 1 from Alaska. Seems like the coasts are getting treated fairly.

We need a "Like" button!

Of course the Midwest bunch is fairing much better as a whole, but my question is did any or all of Clawson try out for the HP team?

01-22-16 01:55PM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Not sure east or west of any landmark is or has been a factor

Agreed... Both Dropkin and Howell are from the GNCC originally. They are clearly strong players and nice kids.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the members of the Clawson team were passed up by the HPP. I don't even know that they applied. They have a great team and a great coach in Wayne Anderson. Clearly it's working for them.

01-22-16 02:07PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

My understanding is that they applied, but were not accepted to the combine.

01-22-16 02:28PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:

What is your understanding that 6 of 10 are from the east coast? For that matter, what is your understanding of geography in general and specifically what states are "East of the Appalachians"?

01-22-16 02:41PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:

My experience with HPP style programs and their so-called try-outs is that the evaluators generally have pre-tryout biases that prevent them from objectively evaluating the available talent.

They may certainly still lose the winner take all final, but the Clawson team is definitely putting a scare into the HPP process and its management team.

01-22-16 04:29PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

hunter clawson edges out dropkin and gets to the final. korey wont have an easy match in the semis to get a 3rd shot at him.